Author Topic: Why do you still ride indys?  (Read 14128 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 196
Re: Why do you still ride indys?
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2020, 08:27:57 AM »
No clue I want to try Ventures or Thunders. They seem to be more responsive where on Indy's I feel like I'm turning when I go to pop every trick. How would you guys compare Thunders to Ventures?
Venture has a more surfy stable turn where as thunder turn sharp and are squirrely. I put bones mediums in my ventures coming from independent and my skatboarding improved drastically. It's worth a try.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2020, 09:54:33 AM »
Well, I'm riding mine because they still have a lot of life left and it would be a waste to stop skating them.
I also love how they feel. Indy Forged is probably the best feeling truck I had till now and I had all the major brands over the years. Also the most reliable, I dont think I have any complains about my Indys, I keep them stock and they just feel right.
I also don't think that its like "you ride Indys, you're racist". I think most of of the people weren't even aware about the logo having any connection with racist shit. I always thought it looked like some Orange County chopper shit (well, now thinking that also looks kind sketchy). Well... I'll probably keep riding them for a bit. I do plan to get some Aces next, which I wasn't to lucky with the quality in the past but hopefully I get a good batch now.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Glurmpz

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2020, 01:23:39 AM »
I stopped riding Indy right around 2000. They were always bad for shifting axels and breaking kingpins, but around 2000 they had a huge issue with lots of brand new trucks bending on the axel. I was working at a shop and we had a landslide of returns. My friend was a Thunder guy and showed me his new ones, they seemed nicer than Indy, so I switched and never looked back.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2020, 01:30:23 AM »
I’ve got two sets to burn through, that’s why.

And if you’re worried about that shitty cross logo a few slides butt up against a shitty ledge and it’s gone

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2020, 06:12:46 AM »
I stopped riding Indy right around 2000. They were always bad for shifting axels and breaking kingpins, but around 2000 they had a huge issue with lots of brand new trucks bending on the axel. I was working at a shop and we had a landslide of returns. My friend was a Thunder guy and showed me his new ones, they seemed nicer than Indy, so I switched and never looked back.

I heard about this too, I also heard they tried sneaking manufacturing to China but were still stamping USA on them.

Any truth to this?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2020, 06:38:32 AM »
Expand Quote

I heard about this too, I also heard they tried sneaking manufacturing to China but were still stamping USA on them.

Any truth to this?
[close]

Dunno about the sneak move to China, but I remember getting some of those indys. I thought it was a little later 2001/2, but my memory is disturbingly bad. Instant axle slip, and then one of the axles bent so bad the wheel was at a 45. 

Indys look nice. I don’t know if that is because I’ve always liked to look at trucks and I’ve seen them in tons of pictures over my life, or if I just truly like the look.

The cross is so dumb. The cover up story about the pope is also stupid (shoutout to Chavo who comes through with the history). You gotta get to work doing slides, real quick, get that thing off of there.

Hefe said something along the lines of how bro culture killed the brand from an aesthetic point of view, for him. Fucking so true. I’ve not spent a lot of time in California, but did go through pacific beach and it was the uniform for dudes in lifted trucks and flipped brims.

I get that there seems to be some mimicry of 1% mc stuff going on with the symbolism. There is something (if you are cis white hetero male) to that old look of outlaw that is romantic, if you only give the most cursory of glances and refuse to look at the rape/racist parts. The appropriation of nazi/(the enemy’s) symbols by returning soldiers in bike to scare off the boring Americans, and then surfers do it, somehow we as skaters get into it, something something. Maybe I’m all wrong here. Probably.

Be cooler if they ditched the cross. Be cooler if they hadn’t been weird to dlx/ermico. Be cooler if they **did not** have the most jock vibe to their shit. Be cooler if they still made something in North America.

Their donation is cool.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:51:00 AM by Ok »

sketchyrider

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »

I get that there seems to be some mimicry of 1% mc stuff going on with the symbolism. There is something (if you are cis white hetero male) to that old look of outlaw that is romantic, if you only give the most cursory of glances and refuse to look at the rape/racist parts. The appropriation of nazi/(the enemy’s) symbols by returning soldiers in bike to scare off the boring Americans, and then surfers do it, somehow we as skaters get into it, something something. Maybe I’m all wrong here. Probably.

Be cooler if they ditched the cross. Be cooler if they hadn’t been weird to dlx/ermico. Be cooler if they **did not** have the most jock vibe to their shit. Be cooler if they still made something in North America.

Their donation is cool.

i think this sums it up pretty well, i remember watching old surf movies with greg noll and other guys putting swastikas on their car and what not, it was some sarcastic way of being offensive, but its aged horribly. its hard to imagine the iron cross actually being inspired by some catholic imagery.

ill keep riding the trucks but id back a logo change for sure.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2020, 10:16:46 AM »

✊🏾

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »
Shalom
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2020, 03:59:52 PM »
I don't.

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »
Isn’t Fausto Vitello from Argentina? Didn’t learn English til he picked it up watching the giants.
Yes, Fausto is from Argentina. Yes, the trucks are made in China.

So, if they're actually racists, then they really suck at it.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2020, 05:08:55 PM »
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2020, 06:03:50 AM »
Just looked into switching to Thuders, can anyone make the sizing easier for me? What size Thunder for 8.06 & 8.25 Decks? Also, what's the best Thunder truck from people who have been skating them or went from Indy to Thunder?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2020, 09:55:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Just looked into switching to Thuders, can anyone make the sizing easier for me? What size Thunder for 8.06 & 8.25 Decks? Also, what's the best Thunder truck from people who have been skating them or went from Indy to Thunder?
[close]

148's are great. Went up from the 147's and I am pleased.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2020, 08:20:59 PM »

Got some 9" krux on the way, and I want to get some venture 6.1 if I can find them in stock! I have tried Ace on a friends board and I don't think they're for me.

On the topic of throwing out the iron cross and moving on from similar imagery:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 08:27:09 PM by cjt »

Quasi

• Rep: -27
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
Because  they  feel  good to ride i dont care about the logo

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
Tape over the logo is one way to do it
Noseslides will get you there too
listen to cosmic psychos

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2020, 02:39:33 AM »
I’m gonna ride my indy’s until they break but I’m really excited about trying some ventures next.

Tape over the logo is one way to do it
Noseslides will get you there too
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:53:56 AM by goingapelikenigo »

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2020, 04:29:58 AM »
 Because I'm poor. Whatever trucks are on the used board I buy on marketplace or craigslist get reused until they're done. 9 times outta 10 it's indys

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2020, 08:14:50 AM »
I ride mine because I like they way they turn, aesthetically they look nice, and they grind good. Those three things matter. I do not find their logo to be racist in any manner. They have always sponsored multiethnic skaters since day one. If you really want to look for something bad, you'll find a way to find it. Don't like the logo? Don't ride them. If you really want to make a fucking difference in this witch hunt world, go vote.

adriankohatsu

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2020, 06:59:25 PM »
The last pair of trucks i recently used have been indy's and has been great. During my hole life i have been using thunder trucks (even Silver-dumb decision-) but i feel indy's way more centered which makes me confortable. Nonetheless i always heard to many venture guys arguing why is the best truck which makes me consider it for the following time i switch trucks.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2020, 11:33:09 PM »
I know what size I ride & don't have to mess w.them
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2020, 11:49:51 PM »
I ride mine because I like they way they turn, aesthetically they look nice, and they grind good. Those three things matter. I do not find their logo to be racist in any manner. They have always sponsored multiethnic skaters since day one. If you really want to look for something bad, you'll find a way to find it. Don't like the logo? Don't ride them. If you really want to make a fucking difference in this witch hunt world, go vote.
Same
Super Champion Fun Zone

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2020, 05:26:56 AM »
Once more, it’s not the logo that bothers me. Primarily, I’d like to buy shit that’s made closer to me. Secondly, I can’t get over the irony of supporting a brand whose image is based on American outlaw culture, when the products are (probably) made using sweatshop labor in an authoritarian state.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
Not yet axle.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »
Because I'm poor. Whatever trucks are on the used board I buy on marketplace or craigslist get reused until they're done. 9 times outta 10 it's indys

I’ve found this to be true and a great way to get trucks.  If you care/worry backing the company then no worries because you didn’t. 
Quick push, focus the tail of whatever Santa Cruz board it is and boom, new to me indys.
And i bought a pair on that sale on Sunday because I don’t believe the company is inherently racist and the price was right on.   Nor do I found the logo offensive.  Again, I have never found it appealing and have never bought or worn anything independent. 
I wouldn’t classify myself as poor but I’m for sure frugal. 

Brad Breath

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »
I’ve ridden Independent trucks for 31 years.  No issues other than a broken kingpin here and there.  But that happens. 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2020, 09:53:31 PM »
i ride my skateboard to ride it not to please Kyle Beachy
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2020, 11:02:49 PM »
Venture for the win. Put some bones bushings in them and they turn and feel perfect. Better pinch and return to center.

I'm sold, have a spare pair of Bones Medium that I'm tossing into my 5.6 V-Hollow.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m