Author Topic: ALEXIS SABLONE OFF WKND, ON NEW THEORIES BAND?  (Read 16953 times)

michael scarn

Re: ALEXIS SABLONE OFF WKND, ON NEW THEORIES BAND?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
Josh gonna kill me for this, but I think you guys you maybe like:

This seems like it would be a good series, not an entire brand

ndsr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
New Theories Band? my guess is a two-piece with ALexis on drums and Taylor Nawrocki on the organ.

*edit. Baragwanath on Baragwapipes
I back that

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2020, 11:35:23 AM »
Just make a theories team. Way better than whatever this is.

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 11:42:12 AM »

Man that is absolutely boring

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
I like Alexis, but this just looks like 1 of 20,000 instagram pages.

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2020, 11:47:45 AM »
can we get a mod to change “off” to “of”

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2020, 11:50:35 AM »
What is the last new deck brand that got even marginal approval on here? FA?

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
Stereo (up to 1998)

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »
this looks like a joke

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »

when FA started it was almost universally panned on here, had "the worst name ever", and was predicted to not last 6 months. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

euro tm

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2020, 01:08:25 PM »
kevin liedke is also on. jake todd is managing it.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2020, 01:23:59 PM »

People seem to really dig Carpet for some reason.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
Alexis on racism

euro tm

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People seem to really dig Carpet for some reason.

what do you mean for some reason? watch your goddamn mouth sneaky

• Rep: 31
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »
So after Alexis gets called out for ripping off Quasi, she ditches WKND for whatever this is just to rip off Lurkville?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=107692.0
https://www.pictureshowstudios.com/
https://lurkville.com/

Nah, the Lurkville stuff is more b-movie, 50s sleaze and this is more 80s Betamax vintage Hollywood blurred fuzz.

I like Theories and Alexis but I usually just buy whatever Polar deck has the most Neil Blender drawing on it.

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
I'm not much of a fan of WKND either (for more benign reasons), but I really don't understand why she would align herself with Stewart. Between his recent absolutely wretched handling, in every conceivable way, of his COVID case, to his longstanding obsession with right wing conspiracy trash, he is a clearly a Florida Man.

Just because he's into conspiracy theories doesn't make him a conservative

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »
i used to really like everything theories put out but the whole shtick and aesthetic has gone a bit tired. this picture show thing looks like some mediocre mashup of theories, workshop and dollarlave aesthetics. overall it seems kinda random. maybe it will grow into something, who knows. i just don't know why you wouldn't just name the brand theories, and maybe rename your distro to make a distinction. i feel like that would have made more sense. would have saved the whole effort of making a light version of their own company to make a real team.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2020, 03:32:35 PM »
i used to really like everything theories put out but the whole shtick and aesthetic has gone a bit tired. this picture show thing looks like some mediocre mashup of theories, workshop and dollarlave aesthetics. overall it seems kinda random. maybe it will grow into something, who knows. i just don't know why you wouldn't just name the brand theories, and maybe rename your distro to make a distinction. i feel like that would have made more sense. would have saved the whole effort of making a light version of their own company to make a real team.

Just a guess, but considering Theories is mostly thought of as a soft-goods brand, having them as your board sponsor might create some conflict with a current clothing sponsor? New board company would make it less messy. Either way, glad Nawrocki will have his name on a board again.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2020, 03:57:32 PM »
Just a guess, but considering Theories is mostly thought of as a soft-goods brand, having them as your board sponsor might create some conflict with a current clothing sponsor? New board company would make it less messy. Either way, glad Nawrocki will have his name on a board again.

it might just be my perception, but i feel like theories got big enough after the last static video to transition into becoming a board brand with team and all. especially since they started to do board runs at some point. it would have made sense since some of the crew seemingly dipped in and out of sponsorship from board companies that are basically part of the theories camp.

if i was stewart i would have had a board brand just called theories, and leave the distro as t.o.a. it would have been enough of a distinction for everyone aware already and they could use their more popular shirts(if you can say there are any) like the rasputin print into board graphics. which they then did anyways, along with others, but without actually having a team. even though a dude like tyler nawrocki even says in a interview that he'd basically ride for any brand theories would come up with.

maybe sablone will be involved with the graphics which doesn't get me super excited tbh because those wknd graphics were pretty derivative. but then again she is good at copying at least and maybe can come up with something original. imo her graphics weren't bad(subjectively a different story, but they fitted todays hip aesthetic), just bland in the way they look like any other artsy board co tries to make their graphics. all i'm saying is if she stops copying quasi i trust her to come up with something good.

what puzzles me is to make a new brand that looks like a weaker fan knock off of your established brand. i don't see a alien/habitat situation here where it's a branch off, it's more of a mini me. the name is weak, too.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

when FA started it was almost universally panned on here, had "the worst name ever", and was predicted to not last 6 months.
its really funny to look back at that thread and see people's shit takes.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2020, 04:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

what's also funny is that dill was actually smart enough to do something with his wack early mid 00s alloverprint hoodie hypebeast brand attempt and to resurrect it as a kitschy boardbrand to capitalize on fabricated versions of nineties nostalgia that were starting to become trendy around 2010 again. it saves up getting a new brand name registered i guess. which is what josh should have done with theories in a way imo. dill is actually reusing an old logo everyone laughed at back in the day, he just waited long enough so a new generation of skaters that wouldn't be able to remember would take it up as a fresh board brand. now he sells hoodies with that logo for 100 a piece. even though fa's aesthetic sucks, dill had good timing and business sense. and probably lots of connections.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it might just be my perception, but i feel like theories got big enough after the last static video to transition into becoming a board brand with team and all. especially since they started to do board runs at some point. it would have made sense since some of the crew seemingly dipped in and out of sponsorship from board companies that are basically part of the theories camp.

if i was stewart i would have had a board brand just called theories, and leave the distro as t.o.a. it would have been enough of a distinction for everyone aware already and they could use their more popular shirts(if you can say there are any) like the rasputin print into board graphics. which they then did anyways, along with others, but without actually having a team. even though a dude like tyler nawrocki even says in a interview that he'd basically ride for any brand theories would come up with.

maybe sablone will be involved with the graphics which doesn't get me super excited tbh because those wknd graphics were pretty derivative. but then again she is good at copying at least and maybe can come up with something original. imo her graphics weren't bad(subjectively a different story, but they fitted todays hip aesthetic), just bland in the way they look like any other artsy board co tries to make their graphics. all i'm saying is if she stops copying quasi i trust her to come up with something good.

what puzzles me is to make a new brand that looks like a weaker fan knock off of your established brand. i don't see a alien/habitat situation here where it's a branch off, it's more of a mini me. the name is weak, too.

Agreed. Theories as a board brand already has an image and graphics that are recognizable and would transition into deck graphics easily (and some already have as you pointed out). Someone (euro tm? honey island?) mentioned Taylor would be riding for a new/unnamed Theories brand before he even did his pals questions so it's been in the works for a while, I was expecting something a bit more...developed? But I'll wait and see.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2020, 05:54:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

we weren’t wrong. FA is the rue21 of skateboarding

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1200
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »

holy shit, josh is gonna KIILLLLLL me for this. like josh stewart from theories, josh. yeah i know him haha

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2020, 06:13:21 PM »
I do know him lol
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1200
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2020, 06:35:48 PM »
I do know him lol
just poking fun. tell him to send a box 🤙🏼

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2020, 07:13:07 PM »
I like theories but this brand seems like some kinda afterthought.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2189
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »
I do know him lol
Cool story, Mak. I met him once nearly 30 years ago & he left something at my house.
Tell you what, if you promise to let him know that I have a VHS of early 90s footage of him & his brother Jeb that he’s welcome to (it’s just taking up space on my shelf, but I can’t bring myself to toss potentially rich archival footage, & I have had a VCR in gosh knows how long) & that I would love to get it to him, then I will promise not to tell him it was you that leaked the Picture Show initial offering.
Kidding about that 2nd part, I’m actually kinda jazzed on PS, but he probably should have this historically relevant video artifact.
Peace, buddy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:38:36 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

morningcommute

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2020, 10:29:42 PM »
Damn, you all are cold blooded. It seems fine to me. Looking forward to see it grow

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2020, 10:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I still feel that way about FA. I don't understand what people like about them, but I like Deathwish, so clearly I'm not a beacon of great taste.