Author Topic: Skatepark Donation/Drop Box  (Read 262 times)

smackenzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
    • Blog avatar image
Skatepark Donation/Drop Box
« on: June 16, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
I've got a slew of boards in varied condition. A lot of old boards I have suffer merely from razor tail (lots of driveway sessions on brushed concrete). I'm fortunate enough that I have the means to purchase new decks, but I'd imagine a kid just starting out could easily learn the basics on a razor tail'd board, or a board that's chipped, etc. All they're doing is sitting in my room, I figure they deserve a better fate than being stacked in a closet, hung up, or tossed in the trash. I'm not really into the whole "skate chair" thing either, which is another option I suppose.

I wonder if some sort of drop box was built at the park, with designated bins for decks, trucks, wheels, etc., could it be a viable solution for clearing out some of this clutter and providing a jumpstart for new skaters? I have a pair of shoes as well that are basically brand new... but I suppose somebody could flop some real nasty shoes in there if they wanted. Maybe best to stick to hardware.

TLDR: Would a skatepark donation box be a viable solution to guide and aid new skaters? Have you done or seen this idea before? How'd it pan out?

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Skatepark Donation/Drop Box
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
In theory it would work depending on the area you’re in.

What I mean is be prepared for entitlement and greedy idiots.

I’ve done a few nonprofit demos and impromptu skate meetings it’s fun if everyone in your scene helps out with donations.

Sadly for me it became entitled grabbing kids mobbing your kickdowns, I shutdown my events when I had a duffle bag full of stuff almost walk off by a tweaker.
Dueces Bitch's

smackenzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
    • Blog avatar image
Re: Skatepark Donation/Drop Box
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »
That sucks to hear about your demos. I'm also concerned people will abuse the idea, but our town is pretty small so it might work in a tight-knit scenario.

Funny enough one of the shops I follow just started a similar idea. Maybe I'll talk to my local and try starting there instead of the park.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBi3rwwFhwq/