Author Topic: What was your setup, on your best day?  (Read 4895 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Re: What was your setup, on your best day?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 02:53:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Summer ‘09

AWS 8.25 Mind Field deck
Indy 139’s
53 mm Spitfires
Bones Swiss

I don’t know what it was about this set up, but everything was perfect. Still the best shape I’ve ever ridden. My tricks never looked or felt better. Only thing is I had this board for only 3 days.

This is the only set-up where I could ever land hardflips. I landed about 70 of them during those 3 days, and they were all flawless. I felt like Bryan fucking Herman.

I snapped it on day 4, got another board and hardflips were now gone forever. Haven’t landed one since.
[close]

Wow that's nuts. To go from 70 to none.

Gear madness like that drives me INSANE.

My litmus test is 360 flips. If I switch decks and I have to struggle to get them I'm over that shape/size.

I've just come to learn that WB is by far the most important factor to me
[close]

Same
[close]
Same here too. I have been struggling way to hard with 8.5 plus and I almost overflip 8's, so I settled on 8.1 and my 360 flips have never been better. I have finally found my sweet spot...for now anyways.

What trucks tho?
I’m in some struggle where if I can 360 flip easily, I hate the board whenever I’m doing anything that’s not a 360 flip. 

animalflesh

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
9.25 football
159 Indy’s
55 mm bones
1/4 risers

Original converse

Maybe 6-7 years ago and my set up has changed 100 times since then

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 03:09:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Summer ‘09

AWS 8.25 Mind Field deck
Indy 139’s
53 mm Spitfires
Bones Swiss

I don’t know what it was about this set up, but everything was perfect. Still the best shape I’ve ever ridden. My tricks never looked or felt better. Only thing is I had this board for only 3 days.

This is the only set-up where I could ever land hardflips. I landed about 70 of them during those 3 days, and they were all flawless. I felt like Bryan fucking Herman.

I snapped it on day 4, got another board and hardflips were now gone forever. Haven’t landed one since.
[close]

My litmus test is 360 flips. If I switch decks and I have to struggle to get them I'm over that shape/size.

[close]

Same
[close]
Same here too. I have been struggling way to hard with 8.5 plus and I almost overflip 8's, so I settled on 8.1 and my 360 flips have never been better. I have finally found my sweet spot...for now anyways.
[close]

What trucks tho?
I’m in some struggle where if I can 360 flip easily, I hate the board whenever I’m doing anything that’s not a 360 flip.

Venture Low 5.2s for me
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Summer ‘09

AWS 8.25 Mind Field deck
Indy 139’s
53 mm Spitfires
Bones Swiss

[close]

[close]

Same
[close]
[close]

What trucks tho?
Always Venture. I have new 5.6s for my 8.1. But lately I've had 5.8s on 8.38 to 9 and 6.1s on 9+

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »
8.5" Jake Johnson Mother first graphic
149 Thunder polish with Bones medium bushings
52mm Spit F4 99d conical
Bones swiss bearings

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »
I went to stay in Australia for a few months and decided to switch my whole shit up since I was upside down anyway. I went with this setup and it felt so perfect:

Roger 8"
Ace 33
Spit classic 52mm
Swiss.

Then I could never find that shape ever again. It was PS Stix and pretty square, it was so good. For some reason I switched back to Indys after (stage 10 hanger, forged stg 11 baseplate - to make it 51.5mm mid height) but now I can't remember why. Sometimes you just wanna try different shit again, I guess.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 04:20:05 PM »
I went to stay in Australia for a few months and decided to switch my whole shit up since I was upside down anyway. I went with this setup and it felt so perfect:

Roger 8"
Ace 33
Spit classic 52mm
Swiss.

Then I could never find that shape ever again. It was PS Stix and pretty square, it was so good. For some reason I switched back to Indys after (stage 10 hanger, forged stg 11 baseplate - to make it 51.5mm mid height) but now I can't remember why. Sometimes you just wanna try different shit again, I guess.

33s are dope. Also my favorite looking truck. Not that it matters at all.
I feel you on changing shit, even when what you have is working. I don’t understand what I do that either.

UrbanSombrero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2020, 05:16:07 PM »
I tried to recreate my prime setup last year.

Girl 7.5
Venture lo 5.0
50mm Spitfires

It felt great like I was home, but I snapped the tail almost immediately. I'm too fat for this now.

Then set up a girl G008 with venture lo 5.2 and it was like slightly bigger/steeper version of the same thing. Felt great but again snapped the tail off. I skated great for like 2 weeks though. I should have kept setting them up and now I'm struggling with bigger boards. I do like my ace 44s though. I think I'll get some 33s and try some more 8 inch decks I have a whole stack of 8s but for whatever reason I keep setting up 8.38s like it's going to click. I'm 6'2 like 200lbs I feel like I should be skating bigger boards but whatever I guess I like to torture myself.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
How the hell do you remember your “best” day of skateboarding? One of the best times was when I first learned BS flips in 6th grade, but do I wanna chase the set up I once rode as a lil kid?

Fuck no.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2020, 07:35:58 PM »
How the hell do you remember your “best” day of skateboarding? One of the best times was when I first learned BS flips in 6th grade, but do I wanna chase the set up I once rode as a lil kid?

Fuck no.
Holyshit. Maybe You should go slappy a curb for an hour or two, you sound hostile. Just kidding man, great input.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
Yeah switching up your shit is fucking stupid. Stick with what works

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
Oh man remembering my setups 15 years ago is embarrassing! At one time I was killing it with some Phantom trucks (blue), a 7.5 Reynolds cheeta print Baker deck with Baker 50mm wheels and some Reds. I prolly rocked like 6 pairs of the Spanky Emerica's and CCS pants.

I'm a better skater with low to the ground stuff but back when all I wanted to do was huck 15 years ago I skated Indy low's with stock bushings, 52ml Spitfire classic, Traffic 8's and some swiss. Fuck, I used to be able to switch heel over the coping of a 6 foot quarter and front board shuv the 7 stair rail at my local park for warm up. Also had about 10 to 15 pairs of Vans chukka lows (that was such a great shoe, they should bring that back) and whatever kinds of jeans or pants I'd get.

Now I skate 8.38/ 31.75 Polar or 8.25/31.75 Sour Solution with Indy lows and bones medium, Spitfire f44 conical 53ml, swiss and have been really into gt blazer lows with some Surf pants.

lysdexia

• Rep: 5
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2020, 09:45:44 PM »
some time in 2004
7.5" board of some description
indy 129s
50mm wheels (probably spitfires, but who knows it was 16 years ago)
bones reds

hardflipped, tre flipped, laser flipped and switch frontside flipped this little 3 set we used to skate.

i skate a 9.25 currently, and its great, but if i stand on a little board i can instantly feel all kinds of muscle memory come back from the olden days

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
Mid 2000s
Status Baseball Script 7.5
(Can't remember which trucks)
(Can't remember which wheels)
(Can't remember which bearings)
Always liked the boards from Syndrome distribution; they were a bit heavier but very stiff, thick and had a very full sounding tap when you tapped the tail against the floor in the shop. They retailed cheaper than regular logo boards too so they were great for my $0 / mth income. I learned FS Pop Shuvs in 1 day and just decided to toss a kickflip in there, ended up learning hardflips that day.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2020, 02:21:04 AM »
My best days have more to do with how my body's feeling than the set up. If my body is doing good, my brain is doing good as well, and I'm more able to adapt to what Im skating
THIS!

I've had a lot of "best day" skate sessions/days over the past 14 years. Generally, the best I felt mentally/physically and with a setup that reflected this was when I was 17-22, so you won't see any sub 8" deck gear.

I was usually rocking  a DLX board 8.5" with a slightly fuller shape and medium to deep concave, Indy 149s, Bones STFs 53-54mm. I've been riding almost all the same gear since then (I'm 26 now) with only the deck being different because I've become more experimental with brand and shape than when I was younger.

Can't pinpoint shoes, exactly but I've done a lot of my best skating in
-Es: Square Ones, Cassette Mids, Anti-Social (McCrank shoe)
-Etnies: Marana (pre & post Michelin soles), Joslin, Arto 2, RVM
-Lakai: MJ-3
-Emerica: Hsu Mid, Reynolds G6
Super Champion Fun Zone

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
A year ago I had a great day, not sure it was my best day...I was landing everything, all day (across two parks and regular street).

Numbers 8.3
Theeve 8.18
OJ hardlines

^ :o I know :P - I chalk that up to I had been skating hard, everyday for a few weeks straight so I was 'on' and it wouldn't have matter what I was skating (during that same time period I was also riding a quasi proto/Real SE in 8.25" both on TI 147s with Bones V5s - I could ollie like a motherfucker on the quasi thunder combo.

EDIT: shoes that season were DC Evan Smith mids.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:51:33 PM by Xen »

Cord Winer

• Rep: -1
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »
Probably 8 inch Alien Workshop or Habitat
Thunder 147
50-52 mm Spitfire
Reds or Super Reds
Shorty's light hardware
Mob Grip
Still skate about the same setup but I've been wanting to throw on some Venture 5.2 lo's. Not sure if I wanna screw myself like that though.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2020, 04:07:56 PM »
7.5 deck
Venture Lo 5.0
Swiss
Spitfire 52
Es accel

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2020, 05:39:10 PM »
7.5 deck
Venture Lo 5.0
Swiss
Spitfire 52
Es accel
was this around 2004-2005 ish?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:07 PM »
Keep coming back to this thread. It’s a really interesting idea. I listened to that Rowley chat. It’s cool, and rad to hear someone so stoked. He says a lot of stuff, as we all kinda seem to do on this subject, and ends up sorta contradicting himself: best days when he was skating the craziest stuff/stuff he’s known for he said 8-8.125” board, and stage 7 146 (I think these are 8.25” no?), and concludes with saying he still skates those trucks with 8.5-9” boards. Which would wildly different. Serious overhang! That’s some Greco tippy level.

I’ve had 3 days that stick out over the years, that were memorably better. None on stuff I currently would ordinarily care to ride. For fucks sake, 1 day was using some small force lows, the other royals....and one thunders that I have no way of knowing if they were lows are not, and I’m assuming were 145s. There isn’t a congruent thread that runs thru, that I know of, because this is all way before I thought about anything other than width (7.5, 7.63, and maybe just under 8”). Maybe it’s wheels (the component with the smallest noticeable change to the way a setup pops imo), all 52 and down, but I don’t think so.
Anyways, total shit post here, so apologies.
Between this and the venture thread, maybe I’ll be able to remind myself to stick with 8” trucks, at the most, and boards 8.25” and down.
Probably not.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2020, 08:10:09 PM »
Expand Quote
7.5 deck
Venture Lo 5.0
Swiss
Spitfire 52
Es accel
[close]
was this around 2004-2005 ish?

2003!

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2020, 06:10:31 AM »
Oyola zoo york board
grind king trucks
58mm wheels
etnies sals

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2020, 07:02:39 AM »
8.25" pennswood with 8.5" theeves and f499a lock-ins

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2020, 07:14:33 AM »
Habitat 7.5 Danny Garcia
Ventures
52mm Alien Workshop wheels
Reds
Emerica Heretics.

Nothing particular amazing happened, but I was riding that set up while I was really beginning to feel a lot more in tune with my board.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2020, 07:30:06 AM »
The last day I remember feeling super good and comfortable on my board was:
8.5 bacon
Thunder raws 149
Spitfire 53 radials
Olympia bearings

I also fucked my ankle up on a tre on this set up and my ankle hurts doing kick flips now. Afraid to try tres now. But I switched to a smaller set up and last I skated I did a few kick flips with no ankle pain. So that’s cool.

TokyoBoyzClub

• Rep: -1
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2020, 07:36:51 AM »
Real 7.62 Size
Venture Hi's (First Hi's they put out)
54mm somethings

Now I"m bouncing around different trucks and wheel sizes and widths trying to just capture that magic again. I am trying ventures again after switching to Indy exclusively in the mid 90's. I actually really like the new ventures a lot, we'll see.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2020, 09:14:36 AM »
The last day I remember feeling super good and comfortable on my board was:
8.5 bacon
Thunder raws 149
Spitfire 53 radials
Olympia bearings

I also fucked my ankle up on a tre on this set up and my ankle hurts doing kick flips now. Afraid to try tres now. But I switched to a smaller set up and last I skated I did a few kick flips with no ankle pain. So that’s cool.

What happened with the botched tre? On flat?

I've never had them but a lot of people seem to hurt their ankles doing them.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2020, 12:16:31 PM »
After reading through this again today, I ordered a 7.6 deck and trucks to go with it. I haven't skated that shit since the early 2000's. I'm not going into it thinking it will make me relive my best day(s), but I am curious to see how it goes.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2020, 12:44:12 PM »
After reading through this again today, I ordered a 7.6 deck and trucks to go with it. I haven't skated that shit since the early 2000's. I'm not going into it thinking it will make me relive my best day(s), but I am curious to see how it goes.

It can be really fun, smaller boards. Turn well

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It can be really fun, smaller boards. Turn well
Hell yeah! I think I will have some fun with it. I would slso think flip tricks will have a little more hangtime.