Author Topic: What was your setup, on your best day?  (Read 4893 times)

quarterpound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: What was your setup, on your best day?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »
I’ve been trying to replicate my best setup, piece by piece, to get it exactly right with NOS parts... but it’s so hard to find half a blunt of 90s mexican brick weed these days

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2020, 10:18:57 AM »
8.06 AH with sum team thunders and 57 mm spits. No real insane tricks but I fuckin felt like I was RULING my lame as spots.
Whoa. Danger.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2020, 10:43:03 AM »
I’ve been trying to replicate my best setup, piece by piece, to get it exactly right with NOS parts... but it’s so hard to find half a blunt of 90s mexican brick weed these days
Ha! Thats the missing piece of the puzzle for sure man.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2020, 01:56:18 PM »
8.06 AH with sum team thunders and 57 mm spits. No real insane tricks but I fuckin felt like I was RULING my lame as spots.
this post screams tight trucks
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this post screams tight trucks

Hahaha! Nah and I'm cool with wheelbite... but also they were kinda tight.
Whoa. Danger.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2020, 03:32:09 AM »
That would be a Think Skateboards Wade Speyer 7.75 deck, Venture featherlights 5.2, 40mm glow worm wheels, Powell Ratnuts boltings & NMB bearings.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2020, 04:53:47 AM »
That would be a Think Skateboards Wade Speyer 7.75 deck, Venture featherlights 5.2, 40mm glow worm wheels, Powell Ratnuts boltings & NMB bearings.
I would take that set up now! 40mm seems so crazy now. I honestly wonder how me and my friends used to skate a brick city like Boston with those little wheels, without getting pitched every few feet.

Garbagewagon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2020, 07:55:29 PM »
7.5 Real Huf, the green one with the snake from that pinstripe series ‘02 ish I think. Thunders. 55mm black Spitfires. Zero Black Widow bearings.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2020, 12:11:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I would take that set up now! 40mm seems so crazy now. I honestly wonder how me and my friends used to skate a brick city like Boston with those little wheels, without getting pitched every few feet.

yeah..went thru the 60mm neon colored street wheels to the small 40mm super technical wheels era and now back to above 50mm wheels..

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2020, 02:59:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

yeah..went thru the 60mm neon colored street wheels to the small 40mm super technical wheels era and now back to above 50mm wheels..
Same here man. In the last couple weeks I've been on 50mm and I really like it.

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2020, 05:27:44 AM »
8.5 GT Workshop
52mm autobahns
undersized ventures

strangest setup ever but I loved it

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
Toy machine  7.88
56mm spitfires
Sal 23s

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
Just remembered that a few years ago I had some awesome days on a jkjhnsn 8.5 AWS, Theeve CSX 139 (can't remember the Theeve number), Bones 100s and swiss.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2020, 03:59:06 PM »

back in 2002-2003, in high school. my best day's setup was a red 8" Think deck, with the black tag on it. had venture 5.2 lows and pig wheels with lucky bearings. bought the entire setup from my buddy for like 40 bucks or something crazy cheap like that. everything was used but in great shape too. gettin all nostalgic right now haha.

still have a soft spot for think skateboards.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Rep: 3
  • Glue
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »
I don't remember a "best day", like isn't everyone more or less still learning and progressing, barring injury or adult life taking up too much time for it? I mean I'm 26 now and I keep having better days and learning the next set of tricks while i keep improving my old ones, and I'm excited to keep having better days, I'll land a front 3 on flat soon enough.

And I feel like my curiosity and urge to often change up and experiment with my set up helps to keep things fresh and I dunno, makes learning more fun. I'd hate to get stuck in a rut skating a set up for years without much or any variation.

One of my favourite set ups though was an 8.75 XEN board with thunder mid 148s and 58mm 99a spitfire radials, had a nice mellow flat low feeling for such big wheels. The only difference in what I'm skating now I is that my boards 8.5, the trucks are 149s and the wheels are conical fulls, I want to fuck around with my bushing set up again though, use 2 soft top bushings with or without the washers so I can get the nut down further or maybe swap out for a shorter kingpin and still having the medium looseness I want. There's a lot of variation in turning response at different levels of tightness when you play with the bushing shape, size and hardness combos. Never use those shit bones bushings with the plastic bits on them though they're trash
Dude just pop...

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2020, 05:48:44 PM »
One of my favourite set ups though was an 8.75 XEN board with thunder mid 148s and 58mm 99a spitfire radials, had a nice mellow flat low feeling for such big wheels. The only difference in what I'm skating now I is that my boards 8.5, the trucks are 149s and the wheels are conical fulls

do you still skate wheels just as big? I'm going through truck and wheel madness trying to find a setup i like with 56mm for the streets.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
don't know about best day but i've been feeling pretty good lately

assorted 8.125s
thunder 149s
f4s that were 52mm at one point
reds
jessup
and, most importantly, allen bolts

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Rep: 3
  • Glue
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
One of my favourite set ups though was an 8.75 XEN board with thunder mid 148s and 58mm 99a spitfire radials, had a nice mellow flat low feeling for such big wheels. The only difference in what I'm skating now I is that my boards 8.5, the trucks are 149s and the wheels are conical fulls
[close]

do you still skate wheels just as big? I'm going through truck and wheel madness trying to find a setup i like with 56mm for the streets.

Yeah they're 58mm 99a spitty full cons, probably closer to 55mm now, but I've got a set of 60mm og classics ready to go on when I can be bothered. Risers and waxing the wheelbite marks is essential though and I'm not exactly a fan of the board feeling so tall so I try to compensate that with flatter shaped boards, mellow concave
Dude just pop...

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »
atm 8.25
destructo mid
minilogo bears
form wheels 53mm 101a

8.25 ccs custom
destructo mag
bones swiss
bones v3s 54s

I've landed kick flip crocks 180 twice, I consider that my best single trick. those were the setups

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2020, 10:09:59 PM »

assorted 8.125s
thunder 149s
reds
jessup

Same, had a long weekend recently and spent 3 days in a row skating between 2-3 hours a session. Finally got the feel of my flips and grind tricks; most likely because I was spending more time actually skating instead of obsession about my gear.

8.125 Generator Blank from Canada Skate Shop (Ben Degros' thing)
Venture 5.6 V-Hollow
Bones V3 52mm 83b
Bones Swiss
Mob Grip
Allen Bolts

Just when I was settling into the deck, I snapped the nose on a flat ground FS Flip. A little disappointing, it only lasted 4 weeks of 2-3 times a week sessions but it was fun while it lasted.

Fuck it I'm setting up another 8.125 Generator Blank.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2020, 11:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote

assorted 8.125s
thunder 149s
reds
jessup
[close]

Same, had a long weekend recently and spent 3 days in a row skating between 2-3 hours a session. Finally got the feel of my flips and grind tricks; most likely because I was spending more time actually skating instead of obsession about my gear.

Venture 5.6 V-Hollow
Bones V3 52mm 83b
Bones Swiss
Mob Grip
Allen Bolts

Just when I was settling into the deck, I snapped the nose on a flat ground FS Flip. A little disappointing, it only lasted 4 weeks of 2-3 times a week sessions but it was fun while it lasted.

yeah i've skated a good number of 8.125s now as an alternate when i can't find a good 8.25 and never liked them as much - prob cuz i've always felt weird about those in-between sizes - but now i think it's the go to. it's really everything you need and nothing you don't. i'm telling you though try it on 5.8s if you get a chance. the slight monster truck is good. almost impulsively rocked an 8 on 149s :^P

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2020, 11:41:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

assorted 8.125s
thunder 149s
reds
jessup
[close]

Venture 5.6 V-Hollow
Bones V3 52mm 83b
Bones Swiss
Mob Grip
Allen Bolts

[close]
yeah i've skated a good number of 8.125s now as an alternate when i can't find a good 8.25 and never liked them as much - prob cuz i've always felt weird about those in-between sizes - but now i think it's the go to. it's really everything you need and nothing you don't. i'm telling you though try it on 5.8s if you get a chance. the slight monster truck is good. almost impulsively rocked an 8 on 149s :^P

I'm really tempted to get 2 more 8 x 31.75 x 14.125 Generator boards from Tactics but I've already got a huge stack and I'm doing my best to exert self-control. The 8.125 can feel unwieldy at times especially growing up skating 7.5 boards.

I'm wary of 5.8 trucks, I tried Venture standards and Titanium; could not handle them on a 8.25 Primitive.

For the first time in my life I'm snapping boards, went through my entire life only cracking 2. I've snapped 3 this year so far. 2 of which were old Craigslist boards so they could have gotten shitty with time. But the Generator one was a surprise. Don't think I'm a lard ass either (140lbs).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2020, 11:53:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

assorted 8.125s
thunder 149s
reds
jessup
[close]

Venture 5.6 V-Hollow
Bones V3 52mm 83b
Bones Swiss
Mob Grip
Allen Bolts

[close]
[close]

I'm really tempted to get 2 more 8 x 31.75 x 14.125 Generator boards from Tactics but I've already got a huge stack and I'm doing my best to exert self-control. The 8.125 can feel unwieldy at times especially growing up skating 7.5 boards.

I'm wary of 5.8 trucks, I tried Venture standards and Titanium; could not handle them on a 8.25 Primitive.

For the first time in my life I'm snapping boards, went through my entire life only cracking 2. I've snapped 3 this year so far. 2 of which were old Craigslist boards so they could have gotten shitty with time. But the Generator one was a surprise. Don't think I'm a lard ass either (140lbs).
damn means your landing shit with authority although maybe not bolts ;^) i'm around the same weight and snapped a tail once and felt so beast. feel you on the trucks. guess i've just been skating various 8.5" trucks for a while but they feel good on skinnier decks

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2020, 01:18:01 AM »
8.25" real (can't remember the graphic or exact shape)
MOB
148 thunder
Bones hard bushings
52mm bones (can't remember the durometer)
Bones reds
Nike janoski's 1/2 size too big
Theeve titanium bolts

Now I always skate big ass boards, trucks & puffy shoes. secretly I want to downsize but I'm a changed man.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2020, 04:59:29 AM »
It hard to remember what I was the day I got to backside flip Arturo. What a good sport.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »
In the Rowley Nine club he says "you should skate the same size as your best day of skating" or something like that. I remember my best day ever skating and it was a 7.5 deck 5.0 Ventures and 44mm wheels, and white etnies. I know I dont skate that now.  Anyhow It has me thinking, do any of you guys go by that theory? If so what is it?

this advice is completely subjective. I've had a knee surgery and regularly see a physical therapist for a slipped L4 in my back(both skate related). Prior to these injuries my set up was very consistent. Only purchased 8.4 boards 54mm 99a wheels and Indy 149. I rode just that until my first injury. Now i have four boards that i ride through out the week. my everyday driver is a Popsicle 8.75 55mm 101a wheels ace trucks. My dog walker zip zagger with indy 159 and 56mm 84a wheels. My dr. frankienstien is just old parts that still work bolted together for skating to the store in the rain and i just treat it like shit.
My pride and joy is a skull skates baku board with indy 215s and 54mm 99a wheels.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2020, 09:01:34 PM »
A tie between two set ups.
Most recent one.
7.5 Alien Workshop steep as fuck
136 Indy Stage 7
Spitfire f4 51mm
With jessup
Reebok club cs
In 2019

And Five boro 8.25 Guadalupe
Indy 149
Spitfire 54
Jessup as well
And dunks trail ends
In 2005?

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »
Might not be my honestly best day skating, but it was my first "real" set up in the late 90's that I have a lot of fond memories of and gained a lot of confidence on (also when I learned how to fall) - New Deal deck, Venture trucks, Bones bearings, Bullet wheels. As far as shoes go it was usually whatever odd stuff Vans was putting out around then (Cab 5/6?).

Met it's demise in the waters alongside 3rd and Army.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2020, 11:01:55 PM »
I've been having lots of good days recently, I don't have time to skate during the week so I skate hard during the weekends, 4 hours each day from 7-11am. Getting familiar with my setup gives me the best days and helps me to fine tune my skating on a daily basis. Ridden 2 BBS 8.125s in a row and through that I've learned that I'm kicking my foot too far out for kickflips, by later in the weekend I've corrected my pop and flick.

Gear madness is a double-edged sword - stressing over the tiniest details your setup but you get a setup that works with you, instead of against you.

Super crispy boards are nice, but personally I like when the board is 2-3 sessions and the tail is a little worn. Don't have the same explosive legs so have it more worn in helps with the control.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2020, 12:47:17 AM »
8.25" Polar
148 Hollow Lights
52mm Tablets
Mob
Allen bolts
Bones Swiss

I've started to get this... in between sizes thing with trucks.
So i'm rocking 147s now. For those who watch TheNineClub, Kelly had gotten advice from Shane O'Neill to go for the 147 over 148s, and I actually believe its something to it