Poll

What greater influences your choice to not use protective gear?

Peer-to-Peer influence (i.e.: no one wears one so I won't)
25 (21.9%)
The Niche Media Landscape
3 (2.6%)
The idea of freedom & control
39 (34.2%)
Superficial Reasons (e.g.: it'll make me feel insecure around others/not cool/not good enough)
21 (18.4%)
Fred Gall says it'll put hair on my chest (i.e. toughness)
26 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: What greater influences your choice to not use protective gear?  (Read 3209 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: What greater influences your choice to not use protective gear?
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2020, 04:48:16 AM »
Had a random seizure a few years back and was advised not to take any big blows to the head. Had never worn a helmet at that point (in 25+ years of skating) but decided it was a small sacrifice to make to keep rolling (also made it easier to convince the wife). I have a kid too and make him wear a helmet so it’s kinda hypothetical not to wear mine when we Skate together.

Fast forward to this February, it’s winter and we’re warming up at a very mellow spot. I don’t have my helmet on but am having a very good skate; one of those days you know you’ve got it. Slip out on a curb trick and smack my eyebrow on the curb, total freak accident but as soon as I get up I know something is off. Blood starts pouring down my face and my son and I drive to the hospital so I can get stitches. My son mocks me in the car saying I look like a zombie and that I should take my own advice about wearing a helmet when skating. Could’ve smacked my temple or down some real damage so I put on the lid every time I step on a board now. Yes, so I’m basically the Mike V of this place but I’m hardly trying to impress anyone these days ....

I suppose we're all influenced by the pros not wearing any protective gear in videos. But aside from that, I went to an indoor park once were you had to wear full pads and it was so restrictive, I felt like I could hardly move and barely skate. In most sports or physical activities there's some risk but I think most people get pretty comfortable at whatever it is then only protect something once they injure it.

I've gone through phases of having to wear an ankle guard, wrist guard, etc... but eventually got rid of them once I healed up. The thing that makes the most sense would probably be to always wear a helmet. Shower thought: you think soccer players ever talk about how they should all wear ankle guards?

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -485
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2020, 04:53:28 AM »
I Heard that always wearing ankle guards is not good because then the muscles stabilizing your feet will slowly degenerate. Is that true? It makes sense to me.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

swordtechnique

• Rep: -56
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2020, 06:15:55 AM »

"Helmets are for wusses, sir"

Technique

« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2020, 08:32:57 AM »
How about I EnJoY pAiN aNd WaNt To dIe

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm so old I only skate small to flatground
[close]

Much like a baby can drown in only 2 inches water, an old man can die on small to flatground

My uncles neighbor died rolling in their driveway, head injury. He was 25 I think

sketchyrider

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:25 AM »
interesting to see everyone open up about helmet opinions without judgement.

i always wear one at any park, and if i skate street we're talking really low impact stuff. but, worst head injury i ever got was from pushing switch fast as i could and just doing a wheelie in the street, it fucked up my vision for about a half hour, didnt go to the doc or anything...i consider myself lucky, though i probably never would have worn a helmet in that scenario, and i still dont wear a helmet skating curbs or w/e now.

kinda tempted to dork out and rock one all the time, or just skate parks and pools so its not so out of place.

Reptilian

• Rep: 0
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2020, 06:47:54 PM »
I broke my wrist the other day for the third time so it might be time to invest in some wrist guards. At least to help with mentally getting over it.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »
Ask anyone...