Author Topic: Big dudes 220+ struggles and tips  (Read 5289 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
Re: Big dudes 220+ struggles and tips
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 11:44:41 AM »
i would consider 1/4" risers with bigger 56-60 wheels but just worry the whole set up and timing and pop just starts to feel off. and monster truck status. Any comments?

indy and tensor atg being 55mm high seem to be fine, with 54mm-ish. I have thrown on 1/8" with 56mm to not much difference i don't remember..

Fifty8mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 150
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »
5'9" 235. I ride DoA's flat shape in 7.5 with venture lows medium tightness with stock bushings. Have 53 spits which are probably 50s now.  Wear size twelve in shoes.
Also use to skate 58s ,still can but i just dont want to go through that adjustment period again.

Never really restricted myself cause of weight or whatever. I just noticed I could skate better on my son's 7.5 low truck set up and decided that's what I'll ride from now on.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2020, 05:53:27 AM »
6’24 and 216lbs

I went for the hype on the carbon and reinforced decks when i got back into skating a couple years ago, then realised as i got more comfortable and better that i was just bad form on my part that i was breaking decks. In the last 6 months i haven’t broken any decks, and have been sticking with Anti-Hero and Black Label. Recently riding a girl deck which has developed stress cracks, but im blaming the board for that one! Size wise, i go anywhere from 8.5 to 9.25...recently trying to get back down to 8.6...and i prefer shaped boards over popsicles...something to do with learning to skate in the 80’s i guess.

As far as trucks go, I’ve always ridden Indy’s...tried a bunch of trucks in the 90’s and came back to Indys...149’s and 159’s, with hard bones bushings. Last month i got a set of thunder 149’s and put in the medium thunder bushings and they feel like bones hard bushings to me. Im liking the pop from thunders. Never has risers, i feel like risers would make me more tired as i have to push the tail down harder to get the pop, so I'm compromising on wheel bite.

Wheels...i’ve found sweet spot with 53mm...was great with indys and haven’t  found any additional wheel-bite with thunders either.

I would like to lose a bit more weight, but there isn’t that much to lose for me...BMI says i should be about 190-200...no way i can lose that much weight and not look malnourished. Assumptions about weight to height ratios are bullshit without taking into context bone density/structure, muscle mass etc.

Anyway...I’m trying to do more yoga these days, its less about weight and more about mobility and flexibility that helps my skating

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 06:09:43 AM »
6’24 and 216lbs

I went for the hype on the carbon and reinforced decks when i got back into skating a couple years ago, then realised as i got more comfortable and better that i was just bad form on my part that i was breaking decks. In the last 6 months i haven’t broken any decks, and have been sticking with Anti-Hero and Black Label. Recently riding a girl deck which has developed stress cracks, but im blaming the board for that one! Size wise, i go anywhere from 8.5 to 9.25...recently trying to get back down to 8.6...and i prefer shaped boards over popsicles...something to do with learning to skate in the 80’s i guess.

As far as trucks go, I’ve always ridden Indy’s...tried a bunch of trucks in the 90’s and came back to Indys...149’s and 159’s, with hard bones bushings. Last month i got a set of thunder 149’s and put in the medium thunder bushings and they feel like bones hard bushings to me. Im liking the pop from thunders. Never has risers, i feel like risers would make me more tired as i have to push the tail down harder to get the pop, so I'm compromising on wheel bite.

Wheels...i’ve found sweet spot with 53mm...was great with indys and haven’t  found any additional wheel-bite with thunders either.

I would like to lose a bit more weight, but there isn’t that much to lose for me...BMI says i should be about 190-200...no way i can lose that much weight and not look malnourished. Assumptions about weight to height ratios are bullshit without taking into context bone density/structure, muscle mass etc.

Anyway...I’m trying to do more yoga these days, its less about weight and more about mobility and flexibility that helps my skating

This is good advice. I mentioned that I'm down to 190 from 220 in my previous post, but honestly more than weight loss I found that core-strengthening exercises have been the thing most beneficial to my skating. I got some kettlebells and found a good low-impact routine and that has been the shit. It also makes me feel a lot more comfortable with my weight if that makes sense, makes me feel less like I need to be focused on losing x-number of pounds.

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
2nd the carbon reinforced decks. Flights are fantastic, though a bit pricey. They will eventually break but will last 3 or 4 times as long as a regular wood deck. The flights are pretty mellow concave wise too. I'm on an enjoi impact light right now, so far I like it, but prefer the shape of the flight. Girl has the pop secret and Santa Cruz has the VX. I haven't tried either of those though.
No.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2020, 10:04:46 AM »
I don’t know how you dudes keep the weight on skating regularly.

Before COVID I was bodybuilding and just under 200 lbs @ 5 “10. Not skating.

Now, after a couple of months of skating every day for about an hour, I look like a fucking soccer player.

It also depends on your diet and your age. Beyond a certain age, your metabolism changes and you get fat, whatever you eat lettuce and you exercice. That's life  :(

sammyz

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 10:12:49 PM »
Expand Quote
6’24 and 216lbs

[close]

This is good advice. I mentioned that I'm down to 190 from 220 in my previous post, but honestly more than weight loss I found that core-strengthening exercises have been the thing most beneficial to my skating. I got some kettlebells and found a good low-impact routine and that has been the shit. It also makes me feel a lot more comfortable with my weight if that makes sense, makes me feel less like I need to be focused on losing x-number of pounds.

man thats the ticket!

my wife got me onto a youtube channel called "Yoga with Adriene". She has one for Skaters, but a whole library of other routines.

Since I've been working from home I've been doing 3 a day - skaters one in the morning, a longer full body one during the day and bedtime session which is about 10 mins...i feel really good for doing it, just much lighter on my feet and in control of my long limbs.

This is only a few weeks in, but i think I've definitely found something i can stick to long term with Yoga...i'm a little shitty with myself that it took me 44 years to try Yoga, when i could have done it my 20's.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2020, 02:47:03 AM »
I’m about 160 and 5’10” but whenever I hit the beer too hard my stomach gets in the way of popping tricks and I switch to wine for a while.

Who’s the stoutest pro?

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2020, 05:01:37 AM »
I'm 220 and mainly need a chunkier wheel.
Narrow skinny wheels feel sketchy unless its just ledge tricks and techy slow flatground.
I hate wider wheels on narrow decks so dont go under 8.25 with the wider wheel profiles

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2020, 05:43:44 AM »
I haven’t weighed myself in over a year but I think I’m gaining weight back and going back up in the 200s cuz my back he been getting tweaked a lot lately and my back issues all went away when I had lost the weight. I really have no issue with being fatter than I am now it’s just the back issues, I really don’t wanna deal with this shit all the time again.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

eSK3

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2020, 08:01:26 AM »
🙋🏽‍♂️I’m 215. I just don’t beat my boards. Like 6 sessions and I get a freshie and I suck but fresh grip and new pop does wonders.

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2020, 10:28:10 AM »
Even though I’m 225 I don’t break a ton of decks but snapped a Baker. Kind of easily. I liked it so much I got another one and it’s doing fine. 

sammyz

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2020, 09:42:18 PM »
🙋🏽‍♂️I’m 215. I just don’t beat my boards. Like 6 sessions and I get a freshie and I suck but fresh grip and new pop does wonders.

Thats comforting to read. I feel guilty by swapping decks every 1.5 months - about 20 sessions

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
https://minilogoskateboards.com/mini-logo-medium-bushings-single
Minilogo 94 a bushings/same as the stock ML truck bushings just a different color.
These are the bushings that have worked the best for me over the years. Including when I was 230+. I’ve also ridden bones hard core and bones mediums as well as ML soft 84 a and hard 100a.
I’ve never broken any ML bushings but I have had the ring crack on Bones bushings but it’s pretty rare that it happens
The soft bushings are really crazy feeling but I prolly put a month of skating into the soft bushings.

But the reason to me that they never break is the looseness of my trucks. They could def break for people who skate tight or medium tight, this is just my experience with them.

I hover around 210lb, so your post had me interested in Mini Logo bushings. I got the exact ones you've mentioned but I ended up destroying one on the first session trying them out. I was initially skating my trucks loose, then I tried salvaging the bushing by adjusting it back into place and tightening up my truck a bit but it only got worse. Now I'm wondering if I should just invest in some hard bushings instead.

Wheelbyte

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2020, 05:30:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Minilogo 94 a bushings/same as the stock ML truck bushings just a different color.
These are the bushings that have worked the best for me over the years. Including when I was 230+. I’ve also ridden bones hard core and bones mediums as well as ML soft 84 a and hard 100a.
I’ve never broken any ML bushings but I have had the ring crack on Bones bushings but it’s pretty rare that it happens
The soft bushings are really crazy feeling but I prolly put a month of skating into the soft bushings.

But the reason to me that they never break is the looseness of my trucks. They could def break for people who skate tight or medium tight, this is just my experience with them.
[close]

I hover around 210lb, so your post had me interested in Mini Logo bushings. I got the exact ones you've mentioned but I ended up destroying one on the first session trying them out. I was initially skating my trucks loose, then I tried salvaging the bushing by adjusting it back into place and tightening up my truck a bit but it only got worse. Now I'm wondering if I should just invest in some hard bushings instead.

doh! no bottom washer is your problem, 3 things

1 with the lowered hanger the angles change and uneven pressure is applied to the bushings
2 without the bottom washer the baseplate applies uneven pressure upward
3 and too loose can be just as bad bad for bushings as too tight

ok as long as the bottom washer is difficult to spin when nut is set

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2020, 10:38:22 PM »
What up fattys?!!! Just kidding I’m not 220+ but I’ve been up to 219 before. I unluckily got hit with that hyperthyroid/Graves’ disease and got all the way down to high school hefe weight of 168

Don’t get a disease to lose weight but I’d recommend a bike and lots of miles if you’re chubby if your 220 plus and yoked then quit skating and play a traditional sport you lucky fucks
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • the moon rules
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2020, 10:56:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

1 with the lowered hanger the angles change and uneven pressure is applied to the bushings

He’s got a bottom washer on there. It blends in with the truck because of the color, but you can make out the outer edge. Anecdotally I rode trucks without bottom washers for over a decade without this happening. I think it might be from over tightening the kingpin nut tbh. If you want tighter trucks harder bushings would help
fuck you bama

Wheelbyte

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2020, 03:07:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
He’s got a bottom washer on there. It blends in with the truck because of the color, but you can make out the outer edge. Anecdotally I rode trucks without bottom washers for over a decade without this happening. I think it might be from over tightening the kingpin nut tbh. If you want tighter trucks harder bushings would help

your right, just noticed its a krux truck too, the red mini logo bushings are the hardest @100a
so who knows why they fucked out so quick

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2020, 05:25:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

your right, just noticed its a krux truck too, the red mini logo bushings are the hardest @100a
so who knows why they fucked out so quick
Imo those broke because of how much you tightened down that kingpin nut.
I’ve never used a bottom washer because ML trucks don’t come with one.
This is probably the tightest I’ve ever had my trucks but this is an extra board and sometimes my friends ride it and they don’t like it as loose as me so I have it tightened down extra. Swipe left twice on this post to see the bushing and nut.

This is how much my kingpin nut is usually tightened to.

If you’re email ML warranty depo they might maybe replace them. Not totally sure tho if they will or if you would even want a replacement but just putting it out there.
https://minilogoskateboards.com/contact/
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2020, 12:45:13 PM »
I'm using the mini logo bushing without a washer on the bottom and the stock bushing and washer on top, haven't had any issues since

thanks for the advice, guys  ;D

Leonarfd

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2020, 03:55:31 AM »
Does any of you skate big transitions vert deep bowls?

Got a few board setups and decided to have a dedicated vert/halfpipe board with my indy 169 and 8.8 board, for some reason I can not get the indy trucks to be stable to not get wheelbite or speed woobles. Or they get too tight so I can not turn at all. Tried the indy hard budhings.

At 260lbs can get down to 230 again if I'm very lean. Just hoped to get some use of my indy trucks, if not I got to buy another set ACE with hard riptide bushings.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:03:22 PM by Leonarfd »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2020, 09:43:45 PM »

Got a few board setups and decided to have a dedicated vert/halfpipe board with my indy 169 and 8.8 board, for some reason I can not get the indy trucks to be stable to not get wheelbite or speed woobles. Or they get too tight so I can not turn at all. Tried the indy hard budhings.

At 260lbs can get down to 230 again if I'm very lean. Just hoped to get some use of my indy trucks, if not I got to buy another set ACE with hard riptide bushings.
I don't really skate transition but we're about the same weight - 260-265 depending on how I'm eating. If I lost 30 pounds I'd be pretty skinny. What's your washer situation like? I run Bones hard in Indys with a stock bottom washer and the Bones flat washer on top and they're pretty stable. Flush in the front and one thread in the back. If I take out the bottom washer like Bones instructions say to do it's pretty wacky shack. Once I put the bottom washer back in it's fine. I can crank them down if I need to but I like it a little loose.

Funny that you mention Ace because I was hyped to try them but I couldn't get them to be stable enough for me. I have an almost new set of 66s that I set up and immediately could tell were not for me.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Leonarfd

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2020, 02:26:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't really skate transition but we're about the same weight - 260-265 depending on how I'm eating. If I lost 30 pounds I'd be pretty skinny. What's your washer situation like? I run Bones hard in Indys with a stock bottom washer and the Bones flat washer on top and they're pretty stable. Flush in the front and one thread in the back. If I take out the bottom washer like Bones instructions say to do it's pretty wacky shack. Once I put the bottom washer back in it's fine. I can crank them down if I need to but I like it a little loose.

Funny that you mention Ace because I was hyped to try them but I couldn't get them to be stable enough for me. I have an almost new set of 66s that I set up and immediately could tell were not for me.

Been quite happy with the Ace trucks now, the indy is fine when medium loose on my backyard trick board. Ace is just weird, they are loose but stable in the middle. High speed fakie is the only time I'm not 100 on them.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2020, 07:00:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Been quite happy with the Ace trucks now, the indy is fine when medium loose on my backyard trick board. Ace is just weird, they are loose but stable in the middle. High speed fakie is the only time I'm not 100 on them.

Recently put some minilogo medium (94a, so harder than stocks) bushings in my 55s and they have been great. Same size as the stock bushings so it doesn't mess with the geometry.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1561
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »
I'm 6'1 and about 250. I prefer to ride a 9.18 cardiel football shape, but I like the polar 1992 and Dane1 shapes a lot as well. I actually just got the new Tom Remillard powerply, its nice but the kicks are hella steep I was having issues with ghost pop once my legs started getting tired. I've been rocking ace 55's for about a year now I fucking love them. I also have been using 54mm F4 lock ins and quarter inch riser pads. I'm probably going to ditch the riser and go down to 52s to make the kicks on this Remillard a little bit more manageable.

I was about 200 when I was in the Marine Corps and I don't think I'm going to get that low again but I'd be real fucking happy with like 220.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2020, 07:54:38 AM »
I'm 6'1 and about 250. I prefer to ride a 9.18 cardiel football shape, but I like the polar 1992 and Dane1 shapes a lot as well. I actually just got the new Tom Remillard powerply, its nice but the kicks are hella steep I was having issues with ghost pop once my legs started getting tired. I've been rocking ace 55's for about a year now I fucking love them. I also have been using 54mm F4 lock ins and quarter inch riser pads. I'm probably going to ditch the riser and go down to 52s to make the kicks on this Remillard a little bit more manageable.

I was about 200 when I was in the Marine Corps and I don't think I'm going to get that low again but I'd be real fucking happy with like 220.
recently took off 1/8" riser with indy forged 53.5mm high and 54mm wheels (harder bushings too) and it felt way snappier and just quicker. wide set ups higher off the ground felt strange. Haven't tried 1/4" risers or 58mm wheels+

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2020, 08:10:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
recently took off 1/8" riser with indy forged 53.5mm high and 54mm wheels (harder bushings too) and it felt way snappier and just quicker. wide set ups higher off the ground felt strange. Haven't tried 1/4" risers or 58mm wheels+

I'm probably going to take them off once I'm home from work and see how it feels just farting around in my garage. I wish I had some smaller wheels though. Not that it would make a huge difference, but it would be nice.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »
I may be the fattest fuck here at about 270lbs. Im pretty sure genetics has something to do with it. I walk all day and carry heavy shit for a living then I go skate sometimes too. There's no way I'm taking in enough calories to justify my size. Any way, I've never had trouble with bushings and I'm wondering what the fuck you guys are doing to make them disentigrate. I think j ride relatively loose, but I'm not sure. A lightweight might stand on my board and not be able to turn. I'm thinking about riding riser pads, but I think they will fuck up every flip trick that I struggle to keep as it is. What I want to know is where to buy one of these tech boards. I can't seem to find any that I care for anywhere.

And no one here needs to be told that they're fat. We already know.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2020, 03:52:01 PM »
I may be the fattest fuck here at about 270lbs. Im pretty sure genetics has something to do with it. I walk all day and carry heavy shit for a living then I go skate sometimes too. There's no way I'm taking in enough calories to justify my size. Any way, I've never had trouble with bushings and I'm wondering what the fuck you guys are doing to make them disentigrate. I think j ride relatively loose, but I'm not sure. A lightweight might stand on my board and not be able to turn. I'm thinking about riding riser pads, but I think they will fuck up every flip trick that I struggle to keep as it is. What I want to know is where to buy one of these tech boards. I can't seem to find any that I care for anywhere.

And no one here needs to be told that they're fat. We already know.

What's up fellow hoss?

I haven't had issues with bushings either, but I ride my trucks pretty loose too, so that could be it. Honestly I thought risers would fuck my shit up when I first started using them, but there wasn't much of a difference other than a little less wheel bite.

In terms of finding a deck I'm willing to bet paradeworld has some, I know no comply has some on their website and worst case you could straight through NHS or tactics

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2020, 05:05:34 PM »
Big hoss here 220+ I love my Real heavyweights deck along with 8.38" Indy 149's I skate medium bones bushings 52mm wheels I like kinda loose front truck medium back truck for manual's and drops.

Haven't hurt myself yet but I actively try to land bolts, yes Heavyweights do break but you've got to go hard to really break them.