Author Topic: Does the skateboard community owe the rollerblade community an apology for bias?  (Read 7502 times)

LiterallyRyan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -19
We basically drove them out of everywhere with homophobic insults. The 90s were a shitty era

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
Bladers will over wax ledges but at least they don’t completely destroy them like BMX folk, and 9 times out of 10 they’ll have better park etiquette than a biker.

BMX is scootering with a seat, just as bad.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
Bladers will over wax ledges but at least they don’t completely destroy them like BMX folk, and 9 times out of 10 they’ll have better park etiquette than a biker.

agree. fuck em both, until they start building their own parks instead piggybacking off of skateboarders hard work, i could care less.
and remember to yell at bmx losers who try to hit ledges

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Expand Quote

[close]

agree. fuck em both, until they start building their own parks instead piggybacking off of skateboarders hard work, i could care less.

Anybody skate Santa Ana park and remember when the flatbar broke? That was because of Bmxers

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
Bikers do seem to have more of a culture than roller bladers at least, blading (is that the thing or in-line?) was around for a few years and just died.

If it wasn't such a crappy hobbie wouldn't it still be here. I remember growing up, my grocery store didn't carry Thrasher but they had two roller blading magazines. Looking back on that now it seems so strange.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/mary-schmich/rollerblading-mary-schmich-0814-20160812-column.html

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -734
  • My daughter is my world.
Bikers do seem to have more of a culture than roller bladers at least, blading (is that the thing or in-line?) was around for a few years and just died.

If it wasn't such a crappy hobbie wouldn't it still be here. I remember growing up, my grocery store didn't carry Thrasher but they had two roller blading magazines. Looking back on that now it seems so strange.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/mary-schmich/rollerblading-mary-schmich-0814-20160812-column.html
The inline skate vert comps at x games back in the day we’re actually quite fun to watch in my opinion, i mean it was dominated by the yasutoko brothers but still quite cool. I kind of thought of the yasutoko brothers were like the inline skate version of the klitscho brothers in boxing.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Not really, but Kyle Walker's kinked madness does make things muddy though...

robertson

• Rep: -8
All rollerbladers have to do is stop grabbing one foot while they grind, or spin, and we wouldn't hate on them.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Expand Quote
U-N-I-T-Y

ha.
[close]

Aiden Mackey exposed.

Every red-haired person is Aiden Mackey. What's up Alex!

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
nah rollerblading is a choice and it looks gross

I hate on slacklining a lot more but they don't show up to the skatepark going backwards at 100mph
I’ve personally have had to kick three different slackers from setting up shit in my local.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
At least they don’t ride scooters

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Anybody skate Santa Ana park and remember when the flatbar broke? That was because of Bmxers

The complete lack of self-awareness and irony of skaters complaining that people are breaking their things.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
rollerblading like awful like scooter and longboarding

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
the fuck how is this a thread

this is how shit like soap got started

Hydroponic

• Rep: 1
Expand Quote

[close]
The inline skate vert comps at x games back in the day we’re actually quite fun to watch in my opinion, i mean it was dominated by the yasutoko brothers but still quite cool. I kind of thought of the yasutoko brothers were like the inline skate version of the klitscho brothers in boxing.
My brother was into both rollerblading and BMX before I got him into skating. He was a huge fan of both Eito and Takeshi Yasutoko and Cesar Mora.

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
Im sure even the most average skater could make it as an amateur/pro roller blader lol

darkthrone

• Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
If you guy keep talking about this shit a bunch of rollerbladers are gonna come through here and wax everything, the whole forum, all covered in Wax. Fucking Rollerbladers

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
You could make the argument that rollerblading is more core than skating. We got adopted by the mainstream and they got left in the dust. Where do you even buy those things? There's no industry or validation from popular culture. Anyone doing that shit and being completely disrespected for the last 25 years really doesn't give a fuck what we think.
A 100%. skating is no longer an outsiders sport, its as mainstream as it comes and alot of the kids that start skating now wouldnt have skated 15 years ago because it wasnt cool and accepted. when i started it almost felt like every kid was a character or a weirdo, now every kid i see has a gold chain, shorts and an attitude.

this documentary is a pretty good watch, it seems like they know they are kooks and are totally owning it doing what they love

i wouldnt argue with anyone saying that rollerblading looks wack, but i wouldnt say hes completely wrong saying that rollerblading is way more "core" and underground than skating.
Scooters took the place of rollerblading as the kids 'extreme sport'.
really not missing the wax aspect  of rollerrblading, but i really dont mind sharing a spot with them if they dont wax everything beyond repair
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:28:28 PM by eranka »

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
100% they share the same stoke just use a different tool. And if everyone is preaching acceptance acceptance then everyone should getting dapped up at the local skatepark,  blades, longboards,  parkour, scooters, rip sticks etc. Not sure why everyone is so against it. Like jumping around on a piece of wood with wheels is so much better, we all look like idiot's to someone. Let's be stoked someone chose to do something extreme instead of becoming another lacrosse player, basketball, wrestling etc

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Expand Quote
You could make the argument that rollerblading is more core than skating. We got adopted by the mainstream and they got left in the dust. Where do you even buy those things? There's no industry or validation from popular culture. Anyone doing that shit and being completely disrespected for the last 25 years really doesn't give a fuck what we think.
[close]
A 100%. skating is no longer an outsiders sport, its as mainstream as it comes and alot of the kids that start skating now wouldnt have skated 15 years ago because it wasnt cool and accepted. when i started it almost felt like every kid was a character or a weirdo, now every kid i see has a gold chain, shorts and an attitude.

this documentary is a pretty good watch, it seems like they know they are kooks and are totally owning it doing what they love

i wouldnt argue with anyone saying that rollerblading looks wack, but i wouldnt say hes completely wrong saying that rollerblading is way more "core" and underground than skating.
really not missing the wax aspect  of rollerrblading, but i really dont mind sharing a spot with them if they dont wax everything beyond repair

Skateboarding isnt a sport.. .

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
it wasnt a sport when i started skating, it is a sport right now.
skating is so big right now that it has a lot of sides, one of those sides is it being a sport for some people. there are kids that aspire to be in the olympics and be champions and the best or whatever, back in the day that would have been frowned upon. just look at how we treated Salabanzi hyping himself up, and he was a dope street skater that did everything 'right' from the start of his career apart from the contest shit he pulled. 
'real' skating still exists, but were sharing the board with alot of other bros and jocks that see skating completely different than how we view it. parallel worlds of skating with alot in common but a completely different world view. 

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Damn boy, you just blew my fucking mind.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Expand Quote
[close]

maybe 20-25 years ago. But 15 years ago skateboarding was at its peak. How you see scooters now it was skateboards. 2005 skateboarding was huge huge. It’s just that now skateboarding has become like bicycles. It has lost its core.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
do what you want but lay off the fucking wax

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Skateboarding isnt a sport.. .

Another logic that blows my mind.  Other sports try and try to get into the Olympics and can't do it but our did and people still argue isn't a sport crazy.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
100% they share the same stoke just use a different tool. And if everyone is preaching acceptance acceptance then everyone should getting dapped up at the local skatepark,  blades, longboards,  parkour, scooters, rip sticks etc. Not sure why everyone is so against it. Like jumping around on a piece of wood with wheels is so much better, we all look like idiot's to someone. Let's be stoked someone chose to do something extreme instead of becoming another lacrosse player, basketball, wrestling etc

you must not have experienced the blading craze. Around 2000/2005, the ratio in my local tranny spots was 80 % bladers, usually under 16, with no park etiquette at all and 20 % skaters. They were an absolute nuisance, waxing everything for hours so the ramps were unskatable and downright dangerous, even when the bladers were not around. I took quite a few slams because of their wax bleeding over on the tranny. So I'll forever hate them.

Also: "Let's be stoked someone chose to do something extreme". Mmm no. Skating is not "extreme", thank you. And I have just as much respect for someone playing a team sport.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

you must not have experienced the blading craze. Around 2000/2005, the ratio in my local tranny spots was 80 % bladers, usually under 16, with no park etiquette at all and 20 % skaters. They were an absolute nuisance, waxing everything for hours so the ramps were unskatable and downright dangerous, even when the bladers were not around. I took quite a few slams because of their wax bleeding over on the tranny. So I'll forever hate them.

Also: "Let's be stoked someone chose to do something extreme". Mmm no. Skating is not "extreme", thank you. And I have just as much respect for someone playing a team sport.

Guess we just have to disagree I am always excited to see someone choosing to do an extreme sport out of the norm. Aside from the roller girls in short shorts and roller skates at my local we really only have 1 or 2 guys that come out on roller blades they look to be almost 40 both are shredded beyond belief and just like to blast 3 sixties across our Pyramid. I was 15 in 05 and where I grew up we never had that blading explosion.  Probably because of all the dude's they're making fun of them just like they all made fun of me for not wearing tight black pants and not  only skating Emericas and doing frontside flips. So I know I'm kooking either way

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
dont know how much i want to apologise when blader wax is the sole reason i cant wank left handed anymore

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
i knew some really cool cats who wore the boots. same with bmx. far more of them are still doing it than the dudes i grew up skating with too. that might be a socioeconomic piece though. I always found dudes who booted and bmxed came from more intact families and had more $$ and subsequently more parental supervision, leading to less addiction and street crime...
Another reason why I love SLAP! There's actual substantive analysis here. I nerd out on critically thinking about why people do the things they do, where they do them, and how prevalent is the trend of people doing that in a g iven area, etc. etc. Not just within skating, but other areas of life, too.

My $0.02 is I've never gotten to know any actual bladers but I'm sure they're a mix of good people and bad people just like skaters. That said, I probably vibed them at my local if they were waxing QP coping and ledges that already had wax on them 🙄 That's my only qualm with them and I rarely seem them nowadays, actually. I've probably been unsavory either to them or when talking shit about them to friends and I regret any homophobic slurs or comments that were insensitive that I made when I was younger. Before the whole LGBTQA+ movement took storm, there was this piece from this short lived show, 'Human Giant' that became its "legacy" long after it was cancelled. Can't find the video, must have been scrubbed from the internet (and for good reason if so). Will link a video here if I do find it.

The scene had Aziz Ansari (comedian) rolling up on blades to a pedestrian and asking them "You know what the hardest part about rollerblading is? ...Telling your parents you're gay" and then he skates off I think.

Needless to say, those that saw this likely subconsciously or consciously associated this label to bladers because they thought it was funny, regardless if they knew that it was insensitive or not.
Super Champion Fun Zone

EastKremer

• Rep: -63
Expand Quote

[close]

Finally someone said it
They belong to the big spines and round copings land
Fuck them