Author Topic: is buying just griptape cockbag behavior?  (Read 4071 times)

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: is buying just griptape cockbag behavior?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 06:49:15 AM »
Not at all....it can be more expensive than you think though.....what you don't do is just stroll in there asking for free grip....

When everyone was rioting over toilet paper.....I bought a roll of grip........

Im a cockbag then. Bought 2 pivot cups on two seprate occasions. Those indy ones really suck.

But I really dont see an issue in only buying grip. Do it all the time. Buy boards off someone (40$) and then spend 5$ on grip at the local shop - which happens to be a huge chain so who really cares. Theres a new shop that opened up and i actaully want to go out of my way to buy grip there and support them (hell of a support with a 5$ grip purchae eh...lol)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:53:14 AM by sbmfj »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2020, 07:45:52 AM »
If you dont get the grip for free storm out all angry .
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2020, 07:58:35 AM »
My local that closed 6-7 years ago straight up made a blog post making fun of me after I came in asking for 10"+ wide grip for a Sims Eric Nash Scratch Off I was super stoked about just receiving off ebay. I had shopped with him on everything (except NOS stuff) over the 5 years they were open, promoted/played shows there, and even bought a pair of shoes a few weeks before.

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 08:34:22 AM »
My local that closed 6-7 years ago straight up made a blog post making fun of me after I came in asking for 10"+ wide grip for a Sims Eric Nash Scratch Off I was super stoked about just receiving off ebay. I had shopped with him on everything (except NOS stuff) over the 5 years they were open, promoted/played shows there, and even bought a pair of shoes a few weeks before.

Your local didn’t pass the vibe check, so me and the vibe police had to shut them down.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 09:38:39 PM »
I loved it when people came into buy a sheet of grip. It was an easy sale and he made profit on the grip (we made nothing on pro boards).

However, I hated it when someone came in a with a Zero board from another shop's warehouse sale and expected me to grip it for them. That was beyond annoying.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2020, 02:31:14 AM »
Just did it yesterday but my homie was buying a real deck during the visit

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 04:48:55 AM »
What is arguably the most popular shop where I live refused to sell me a sheet of grip like 10yrs ago. I still don’t shop there.

No kidding? How did that conversation go?

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2020, 08:16:54 AM »
If I go to my shop for just grip, bolts etc. It’s impossible for me to leave without buying at least 25 dollars worth of pins and stickers. Usually pick up a mag as well.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Buying griptape is totally OK, but I once saw at my local a guy who brought a complete bought online and he asked for the board to be gripped and assembled...
[close]

If I was the guy working at the shop I would have done the same thing also, I love assembling skateboards.
[close]

I love gripping boards, just don't ask me to remove the old griptape.
[close]

I’ll echo this. Grip costs money, so of course we will sell it. But grip removal sucks, and is usually not worth the effort.
SPB!

peptobismol

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 11:43:07 PM »
ive bought just risers before........that was painful.  :'(

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2020, 05:20:22 PM »
no.

Just pull the old one off by yourself or pay the labor

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2020, 07:41:39 AM »
Buying anything, no matter how big or small is not a worry from any shop I have ever known or worked in.  Asking for free product or even demanding anything including a discount is a good way to get you a reputation for being a dick.

I have always believed in the "free plain grip with every deck purchased" and almost all the good shops do it that way, but a lot of shops have decks and grip sold separately or have run out of stock, so sometimes a guy does have a board from one place and grip from another.

It is funny to see kids with special edition or team rider decks hustled at the local park coming in needing grip, or if a big comp has been on and half a dozen people all come in for grip because they won a deck that weekend.

Every time someone asked to regrip a deck where ever I have worked, the first thing I do is check the grip that is currently on there, politely ask why they wanted it regripped (and explain the process, especially if there was nothing wrong with it) and then also politely say they need to remove the grip themselves first.

Sometimes it comes up in one nice even sheet, but other times it comes away in thumbnail size pieces and could take hours to get off.

Most of the time, it was kids wanting a fancy printed grip sheet instead of the normal plain black their stock complete came with, and almost all the time I said to the parents there was nothing wrong with the existing grip and to put the nice fancy grip on the next deck they buy, to which they agreed, so it was a win win.

Sometimes they would even buy the new deck right there and then as well, which was even better.

Gripping decks is not only a skill, it is an art.  If you don't know how to grip a deck, you should at least pay attention or try to learn, but I am always happy to grip a board or set up a complete from anywhere and for anyone.  At least I know it is being done right.

Skateshop 101 : NEVER ever run out of griptape, but I have seen it happen way too often in almost 40 years skating.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.