Author Topic: Dream DLX Brand  (Read 6190 times)

Utopos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
Re: Dream DLX Brand
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2020, 10:00:05 AM »
Dream scenario: during beauty and beast girl/Choco went under dlx. Rick and mike just work on team/graphics and focus on filming a little more.

Eric stays on, ba stays on guy stays on Mj stays on

Alex olson still leaves

Lakai goes under diamond and they never start diamond footwear instead investing funds into making Lakai the best materials/function possible

Mike mo never goes to dc so he never goes on that Woodward trip

Rudy realizes he’s can’t run royal on his own and shuts down immediately. No one ever has to skate those trucks again

Oh what could have been...

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2020, 10:59:18 AM »
The company that was supposed to happen but never did due to a unfortunate accident. Dump Truck.
Phil Shao at the helm, with Wade Speyer, Dan Drehobl as pro’s. Think Jackson Tylor was going to be in the mix as well.

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »
machotaildrop as a dlx brand would be dope...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2020, 11:51:35 AM »

itd be really really cool if they did a small experimental art driven brand

So you mean exaclty like every other 'art' driven brand? Quasi and Polar aren't enough?

Anti-Hero
Krooked
Grimple

These were all created to fill a void, not be a 'me too'

I'm down with Tenche's direction tho (not saying that's what REAL should do).

thefriscokid

• Rep: 8
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2020, 02:07:00 PM »
Quasi isnt really "art" to me, alot of it is an inside joke or high class irony ,
Polar stepped away from a good art direction after I like it inside and they moved away from the main cartoon illustrator 

I guess Isle would be more fine art related, but yeah I guess you have a point that is the archetype these days. Just seems like they would have a great platform to raise up a more experimental art team as opposed to the really clean sharp graphics Spitfire and Real has.
two times

BayZ

• Rep: -6
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2020, 03:18:26 PM »
I mean there is a new company in the works with Evan Smith and Cody Chapman as the lead pros...Thomas Campbell in art direction...so what’s with the What-ifs?

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2020, 05:08:27 PM »
Quasi isnt really "art" to me, alot of it is an inside joke or high class irony ,
Polar stepped away from a good art direction after I like it inside and they moved away from the main cartoon illustrator 

I guess Isle would be more fine art related, but yeah I guess you have a point that is the archetype these days. Just seems like they would have a great platform to raise up a more experimental art team as opposed to the really clean sharp graphics Spitfire and Real has.

Quasi is definitely poking fun at the art world / most graphics are just ideas someone will come up with. Which is why I love Quasi. They can do pretty much anything they want and it fits.

The Handgun board was a bit political I suppose, but they donated a portion of the money from the decks to school shooting prevention—so I was onboard.

Plus, have you seen Gilbert Ollie. It’s magical

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2310
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2020, 06:39:30 PM »
Does anyone remember when they were running DLX as a sorta label? That was pretty cool little timeframe, never really understood why they went away from that.
Dating yourself there. Deluxe was originally a record distribution company started by Brian Ware. They were a regular advertiser in Thrasher. When Thunder trucks was birthed out of High Speed, they needed a distribution channel. Could be wrong, but I think OG Deluxe was one of the early distros of Thrasher, so it was (one presumes) a natural partnership initially.
Not famil with the deets of when/how Ware sold to Swenson, Vitello, etc, or if he is (maybe?) still a partner collecting checks.

I'm down with Tenche's direction tho (not saying that's what REAL should do).
You talkin’ Techne out of Colorado? The guys that have Kris “Q-Anon” Maskovich as their legend pro/art director?
The same dudes that hired David “Set of Spitfires in a sock” Flores, the visual artist/design master who was charged with violent assault/rape back when he worked for Real?
Yeah, those guys are rad; def doing it right. Hope they make something in my size so I can not buy it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

sweetlou

• Rep: 11
  • https://www.superduperskateboards.com/
    • superduperskateboards.com avatar image
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2020, 08:02:44 AM »
Ace... duh. Not like Thunder, not like Venture. Competes with Indy. Quality would be better if they started making them in the same factory Venture & Thunder is made. Half of the AntiHero dudes are already on board...

I like Black Label on DLX as well, that would be sick.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »
I mean there is a new company in the works with Evan Smith and Cody Chapman as the lead pros...Thomas Campbell in art direction...so what’s with the What-ifs?

Didn’t know Cody Chapman was as involved. But I’m really curious about this company when it debuts

BayZ

• Rep: -6
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »
got it coming out! It’s Uma LandSleds

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2020, 03:20:18 PM »
The new girl (simon, griffin, and niels mainly) gets absorbed into a revamped rasa libre ran by drehbol and they also pick up plunkett and jake anderson from skate mental
Proverbs 27:17

SickSickSicks

• Rep: 20
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
got it coming out! It’s Uma LandSleds

Not a DLX brand.

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
Metropolis and actually make new wheels. Market it with East coast riders and keep the aesthetic from before. It almost took over Spitfire once. Combine it with Keith's legacy and I think it would be a cool new offshoot to focus creativity into.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 809
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2020, 04:36:14 PM »
Metropolitan Skateboards

Bobby Worrest
Cyrus Bennett
Will Marshall
BDK

AM
Mark Huminek

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2020, 06:32:45 PM »
I want Deluxe to start a griptape brand with a grit level comparable to Mob so I can give less money to NHS.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2020, 09:13:55 PM »
I want Deluxe to start a griptape brand with a grit level comparable to Mob so I can give less money to NHS.

Thinking Spitfire does do grip, but I think it is licensed Mob grip.  I wonder if they just don't have the interest in doing a separate brand, given all their existing brands are top shelf.

I use Jessup and see a lot of those guys with rolls or sheets of Jessup also floating round there too, but I like the fact that it is very fine grit.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »
Surprised they don’t have a bolt or bearing company.

Lucky ??