Author Topic: Johan Stuckey Cancelled  (Read 120888 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
Re: Johan Stuckey Cancelled
« Reply #870 on: July 14, 2020, 12:55:12 AM »

I assume he means something like ‘in my day no one would ever get sued over spreading a cold sore’

To which I’d reply ‘maybe suing isn’t the best way to get justice, but it’s nice to see that people are being held to a slightly higher standard about shit nowadays’

Civil suits are often how victims get justice when the law fails (see the Goldman family and OJ)

Watching I’ll Be Gone In the Dark blew my mind with how 70s attitudes towards rape was.  Aside from the victim blaming, I believe they said it was a 30 day offense, if that.   

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #871 on: July 14, 2020, 06:15:32 AM »
Expand Quote

I assume he means something like ‘in my day no one would ever get sued over spreading a cold sore’

To which I’d reply ‘maybe suing isn’t the best way to get justice, but it’s nice to see that people are being held to a slightly higher standard about shit nowadays’
[close]

Civil suits are often how victims get justice when the law fails (see the Goldman family and OJ)

Watching I’ll Be Gone In the Dark blew my mind with how 70s attitudes towards rape was.  Aside from the victim blaming, I believe they said it was a 30 day offense, if that.

i just thought it was funny that some dude on the other side of the world who looks just like johan (i guess i was reaching with this comparison) was on the receiving end of it this time .. ie alternate reality
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #872 on: July 14, 2020, 07:22:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i just thought it was funny that some dude on the other side of the world who looks just like johan (i guess i was reaching with this comparison) was on the receiving end of it this time .. ie alternate reality

My
Mistake then, sorry. I assumed too much in my reading
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #873 on: July 14, 2020, 08:00:40 AM »
Man, I really hope that your problem solving strategies in the real world differ from those which you apply on the internet.

p.s. Thank you for pointing out the other thread. I like the hiding-option. It is a nice idea.

no, i was talking about the internet or slap specifically pretty much and how i come to handle it, but yeah, no offense. i may have mistaken or oversimplified stuff you were meant to say.

it wasn't even meant so much as to antagonize you personally, but i get that it came off that way. fair points all around in your reply though. 

EDIT: fixed my shit quoting
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:44:08 PM by Frank »

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #874 on: July 14, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »

gnarlycharlie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #875 on: July 14, 2020, 09:03:55 AM »
its just herpes alot of people have it different kinds too but hey at least give a heads up that was pretty low

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
« Reply #876 on: July 14, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »
wknd silent on ig for over a week now...

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2194
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #877 on: July 14, 2020, 09:28:45 AM »
Reckon they figure on just letting the whole thing blow over, hoping we’ll forget about it in a couple weeks?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #878 on: July 14, 2020, 09:44:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Reckon they figure on just letting the whole thing blow over, hoping we’ll forget about it in a couple weeks?

I'm sure that will happen eventually
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #879 on: July 14, 2020, 10:37:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We should worry less about blocking out the things we don't agree with or find abhorrent, and spend more time trying to find ways to stop people from saying them in the first place through education and conversation.

Or, you know, just spend less time in and on these places ourselves and do more in the real world.

That works too.
[close]

Agreed, but a filter that blocks out the N word or the F word can be accomplished presumably in a day
[close]

Sure. But that same filter needs to also block out a lot more words than just those two, too.

And so this is where things get complicated...

You need to cut the R-word, the B-word, the C-word, and on and on. Which is fine if that's what we want to do.

And then you have the issue of: Well, what if you're black and want to use the N-word? Or gay and the F-word?

I know this is playing devils advocate, but banning words isn't the answer. Education and conversation is. The word might be hurtful, but it's the hatred behind those words that really needs to be eradicated. And I worry that banning words means people start thinking a problem's solved when really that couldn't be further from the truth.

Our whole culture is becoming built around blocking the things out that we don't agree with or like. Or that don't interest us. And I just think that's a dangerous path.

For the same reason it's dangerous to get all your news from Fox.

Or all your books/groceries/sex toys from Amazon.
[close]

Look up the “devils advocate” meme going around.   Long term education can go hand and in hand with short term steps to make this a place where hate speech doesn’t need to be seen or can thrive.   I’m sure the hypothetical gays, Blacks, mentally challenged, et al posters will gladly forgo the opportunity to reclaim the hate words associated with them for the sake of making these boards less hostile, less vulnerable to troll attacks.   This is not some thought police experiment and it sounds like a measure many message boards have already implemented without disaster
[close]

Fully back this tho. For sure.
[close]

From a non-anglo-saxon point of view I follow this conversation about cancel culture with great interest. However, I cannot understand why some people involved in this discussion really believe that blocking terms and replacing them by abbreviations like the n-word will reduce rascism and hate speech. I don´t think peoples minds work like that because whenever someone uses a proxy of an infamous word the meaning gets transferred anyway.

To really make a difference it is necessary to change the believe systems of the people. Banning words is like brushing over and old car with new paint. It looks better but it still doesn´t work because it is the inside that counts.
[close]

That’s not really what I or anyone means.   AP accused SLAP of doing nothing to regulate the hate speech on these boards and he cited a step many message boards take to at least cut back on the most flagrant examples.  Some troll poster very recently just dropped a bit of that hate speech in one of the most beloved poster’s inboxes.   Cutting that shit back is just a tiny, achievable goal to make this a better place.   

Long term societal change is something that will need to be worked for daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and if we can take steps to eliminate the white noise from the trolls maybe those feeling marginalized will start to join the boards and share their views, perspectives, etc which will engender empathy and allow us to all come together as people whose love of skateboarding far outweighs our abilities on them.
[close]

Thanks for the explanation. Not sure that it works though. People who want to spread hate will eventually find a way to do so. Therefore, instead of filtering out certain terms, I´d rather see all the silent readers on the forum eventually raise their voice to show some solidarity and call out racist or sexist behaviour when it happens. It should be our goal to actually prove that little internet trolls are a small group of idiots who act bigger than they are.

Not gonna lie, I’m not really in favor of policing speech. I completely back educating people about why their train of thought is flawed & showing them a better way, and it’s hard to determine who needs that level of consideration if they’re ostensibly silenced. My fear is that censorship pushes the ability to address these issues outside of the realm of scrutiny, where it has the potential to fester in the darkness outside the realm of public acknowledgement. Look at the racists and neo-Nazi’s who’ve been purged from social media, they’ve been forced to take up sharing their thoughts and feelings in the shadows of an app like Telegram, where everything they say is negatively compounded & reinforced without the ability for outside intervention to help them broaden their views & help the world at large.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #880 on: July 14, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We should worry less about blocking out the things we don't agree with or find abhorrent, and spend more time trying to find ways to stop people from saying them in the first place through education and conversation.

Or, you know, just spend less time in and on these places ourselves and do more in the real world.

That works too.
[close]

Agreed, but a filter that blocks out the N word or the F word can be accomplished presumably in a day
[close]

Sure. But that same filter needs to also block out a lot more words than just those two, too.

You need to cut the R-word, the B-word, the C-word, and on and on. Which is fine if that's what we want to do.

And then you have the issue of: Well, what if you're black and want to use the N-word? Or gay and the F-word?

I know this is playing devils advocate, but banning words isn't the answer. Education and conversation is. The word might be hurtful, but it's the hatred behind those words that really needs to be eradicated. And I worry that banning words means people start thinking a problem's solved when really that couldn't be further from the truth.

Our whole culture is becoming built around blocking the things out that we don't agree with or like. Or that don't interest us. And I just think that's a dangerous path.

[close]

Look up the “devils advocate” meme going around.   Long term education can go hand and in hand with short term steps to make this a place where hate speech doesn’t need to be seen or can thrive.   I’m sure the hypothetical gays, Blacks, mentally challenged, et al posters will gladly forgo the opportunity to reclaim the hate words associated with them for the sake of making these boards less hostile, less vulnerable to troll attacks.   This is not some thought police experiment and it sounds like a measure many message boards have already implemented without disaster
[close]

[close]

From a non-anglo-saxon point of view I follow this conversation about cancel culture with great interest. However, I cannot understand why some people involved in this discussion really believe that blocking terms and replacing them by abbreviations like the n-word will reduce rascism and hate speech. I don´t think peoples minds work like that because whenever someone uses a proxy of an infamous word the meaning gets transferred anyway.

To really make a difference it is necessary to change the believe systems of the people. Banning words is like brushing over and old car with new paint. It looks better but it still doesn´t work because it is the inside that counts.
[close]

That’s not really what I or anyone means.   AP accused SLAP of doing nothing to regulate the hate speech on these boards and he cited a step many message boards take to at least cut back on the most flagrant examples.  Some troll poster very recently just dropped a bit of that hate speech in one of the most beloved poster’s inboxes.   Cutting that shit back is just a tiny, achievable goal to make this a better place.   

Long term societal change is something that will need to be worked for daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and if we can take steps to eliminate the white noise from the trolls maybe those feeling marginalized will start to join the boards and share their views, perspectives, etc which will engender empathy and allow us to all come together as people whose love of skateboarding far outweighs our abilities on them.
[close]

Thanks for the explanation. Not sure that it works though. People who want to spread hate will eventually find a way to do so. Therefore, instead of filtering out certain terms, I´d rather see all the silent readers on the forum eventually raise their voice to show some solidarity and call out racist or sexist behaviour when it happens. It should be our goal to actually prove that little internet trolls are a small group of idiots who act bigger than they are.
[close]

Not gonna lie, I’m not really in favor of policing speech. I completely back educating people about why their train of thought is flawed & showing them a better way, and it’s hard to determine who needs that level of consideration if they’re ostensibly silenced. My fear is that censorship pushes the ability to address these issues outside of the realm of scrutiny, where it has the potential to fester in the darkness outside the realm of public acknowledgement. Look at the racists and neo-Nazi’s who’ve been purged from social media, they’ve been forced to take up sharing their thoughts and feelings in the shadows of an app like Telegram, where everything they say is negatively compounded & reinforced without the ability for outside intervention to help them broaden their views & help the world at large.

Dude its not policing speech its not permitting certain words...its not like the collective of SLAP is a intellectual forum analyzing Mark Twain

as an old black dude I see no reason for its use in skateboard forum...even when I talk to other black people about it they often site it being a term of positivity, but in contrast most time its used is to put someone down

and being a skater from the mid 90s we used gay slurs immaturely, by the time i graduate high school i stopped using it...I think websites like people should mature...unless your 4chan

Edit: if you go to popular black forum like Boxden when you type in the nword you get *****

jesushit

• Rep: 0
« Reply #881 on: July 14, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That works too.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

As a Journalism/ADPR graduate, I also think policing speech is a slippery slope towards full-blown censorship and as you said these people will find ways to spread their hate. They will just do it in their safe little echo chambers where they won't be called on their bullshit and in fact it might even make them feel vindicated since everyone is agreeing with them.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #882 on: July 14, 2020, 01:09:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That works too.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude its not policing speech its not permitting certain words...its not like the collective of SLAP is a intellectual forum analyzing Mark Twain

as an old black dude I see no reason for its use in skateboard forum...even when I talk to other black people about it they often site it being a term of positivity, but in contrast most time its used is to put someone down

and being a skater from the mid 90s we used gay slurs immaturely, by the time i graduate high school i stopped using it...I think websites like people should mature...unless your 4chan

Edit: if you go to popular black forum like Boxden when you type in the nword you get *****

Exactly

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -41
« Reply #883 on: July 14, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That works too.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

As a Journalism/ADPR graduate, I also think policing speech is a slippery slope towards full-blown censorship and as you said these people will find ways to spread their hate. They will just do it in their safe little echo chambers where they won't be called on their bullshit and in fact it might even make them feel vindicated since everyone is agreeing with them.

Some of the dumbest fucks I know graduated from quality J programs, you prefacing your ignorant viewpoint with the fact that that was your major does nothing for your argument lmao.

jesushit

« Reply #884 on: July 14, 2020, 05:52:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That works too.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Some of the dumbest fucks I know graduated from quality J programs, you prefacing your ignorant viewpoint with the fact that that was your major does nothing for your argument lmao.

It was more of a statement that I’ve had to take classes that are all about free speech and censorship than saying I’m smarter than anyone else but okay, cool opinion guy

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #885 on: July 15, 2020, 05:16:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Uhhhh yeah, no one cares Gary

All wary men say the same thing - WHO'S NEXT?! It don't fucking matter dude. Don't be a dick and you don't gotta worry. Case closed. Now please, mmm, shut up a your mouth.
[close]

He gave a diplomatic answer since he works under the umbrella of the largest skateboard media company out right now, we saw this coming. He had the gumption to say that his actions were trash though, so at least give him that. He’s right though, people like Johan should have respected his partners and exercised some honesty in the matter.

Either way, at least he didn’t ignore it like The 9 Club does...

Agree. Not saying Chris Roberts and Crew need to address politics every episode. But as skateboarders with a big platform they should bring up the allegations.

Think about how many young women listen to the 9 Club who are just starting to skateboard. Giving them a voice of reassurance that they back them would go so far.

Come on Roberts. You want to be Howard Stern but you don’t want to touch on subject matter that could be uncomfortable

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #886 on: July 15, 2020, 06:28:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Uhhhh yeah, no one cares Gary

All wary men say the same thing - WHO'S NEXT?! It don't fucking matter dude. Don't be a dick and you don't gotta worry. Case closed. Now please, mmm, shut up a your mouth.
[close]

He gave a diplomatic answer since he works under the umbrella of the largest skateboard media company out right now, we saw this coming. He had the gumption to say that his actions were trash though, so at least give him that. He’s right though, people like Johan should have respected his partners and exercised some honesty in the matter.

Either way, at least he didn’t ignore it like The 9 Club does...
[close]

Agree. Not saying Chris Roberts and Crew need to address politics every episode. But as skateboarders with a big platform they should bring up the allegations.

Think about how many young women listen to the 9 Club who are just starting to skateboard. Giving them a voice of reassurance that they back them would go so far.

Come on Roberts. You want to be Howard Stern but you don’t want to touch on subject matter that could be uncomfortable

9 club proved long ago it's a sterile environment geared towards self promotion. Just let it fade away and keep refreshing Chromeball.

Roberts, if you're reading this.... let Roger talk more, you talk less, and Kelly should get your spot on Chocolate.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #887 on: July 15, 2020, 07:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

That works too.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

come on dude. this is slap, not a major newspaper. blocking hate speech is not some sort of start line of the decline of civilization. it's letting people know they can't be horrible human beings.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #888 on: July 15, 2020, 07:48:27 AM »
If you block the slurs, the people who use them get the message that they’re not wanted here.

TheDingus

« Reply #889 on: July 16, 2020, 09:54:11 AM »
Remember this from last week?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #890 on: July 16, 2020, 09:59:51 AM »
Yep
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #891 on: July 16, 2020, 02:40:09 PM »
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

jesushit

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #893 on: July 17, 2020, 08:43:13 AM »
https://www.psypost.org/2020/06/psychopathic-traits-linked-to-non-compliance-with-social-distancing-guidelines-amid-the-coronavirus-pandemic-56980

Read the full article. I just wanted to highlight this part that I found highly interesting and relevant to this topic. Mind you, I really backed Johan and WKND up until this. Had several boards of his, love his skating but slowly started to learn he was a con artist and all that jazz. Bottom line: I wish him well and truly hope he seeks treatment for the protection of the community.

"I knew that traits from the so-called Dark Triad (narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy) as well as the traits subsumed within psychopathy are linked to health risk behavior and health problems, and I expected them to be implicated in health behaviors during the pandemic. There is also prior research suggesting that people high on the Dark Triad traits may knowingly and even deliberately put other people’s health at risk, e.g., by engaging in risky sexual behavior and not telling their partner about having HIV or STIs,” Blagov told PsyPost."

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #894 on: July 17, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Johan Stuckey...the Machiavellian...narcissistic...psychopath.

edit: but seriously fuck this guy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:01:12 AM by DMH »

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #895 on: July 18, 2020, 09:14:57 PM »
Would like to see a johan dick pic to confirm the herpes sores, warts and chlamidia. Did any of these chicks post?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #896 on: July 18, 2020, 09:32:21 PM »
Bro if you really wanna see some rank shit just google images fungating penile tumor
listen to cosmic psychos

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #897 on: July 18, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »
Bro if you really wanna see some rank shit just google images fungating penile tumor

Coincidentally that’s the name of my favorite “surgical death metal” band!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #898 on: July 21, 2020, 11:35:19 AM »
the OP is calling out one of the members of the band the Black Lips now too.  Seems like the garage rock scene is having a huge meltdown

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #899 on: July 21, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »
I saw that. I can't get my head around it though. Too much writing maybe.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in