Author Topic: RIP Ennio Morricone  (Read 1094 times)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214

PlugSkullcandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 87
Re: RIP Ennio Morricone
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »
I love Morricone’s film scores
RIP, maestro

He is often portrayed as a pretentious guy, just read he insulted a journalist here in France (saying vaff’enculo in the back of the journalist)

But damn he did some of the best scores cinema had, covering a wide spectrum of genres

I always wondered if he knew his music was featured in skate videos haha

Had the chance to see him conducting when I was 14 with my dad, that was a wonderful moment

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »
A true legend just left.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
An absolute legend when it came to scoring films. He is a significant contributor to why Sergio Leone made some of the greatest films of all time.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »
15+ years ago, I was using Kazaa to try and download music by a band named My Name is Nobody. What I actually downloaded was the score to a 1970s Spaghetti Western called My Name is Nobody, written by Ennio. It's an hilarious score, the melody is silly and it features flutes prominently. I shared it with some friends and later one of them bought me a copy of the movie.  Turns out the film is actually a parody of the Spaghetti Western genre and Ennio's composition is so ridiculous because it's meant as a parody as well. When my friends and I get together now we'll still put the score on and laugh.  Anyway, RIP, Ennio.  Here it is:

https://youtu.be/iGZDKuDl3jc

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 07:38:44 PM »
Just found this interview answer by the maestro and I love it :

As much as I love Steely Dan’s and Donald Fagen’s (interviewing Morricone here) music, I have to admit this was a very pretentious question, too many words, too many references, and answer it with a shrug was the best way to shut it down

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
Watched The Good The Bad and The Ugly last week, and was listening to his music on Thursday to kick off the long drive I had for vacation.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 11:55:54 AM »
15+ years ago, I was using Kazaa to try and download music by a band named My Name is Nobody. What I actually downloaded was the score to a 1970s Spaghetti Western called My Name is Nobody, written by Ennio. It's an hilarious score, the melody is silly and it features flutes prominently. I shared it with some friends and later one of them bought me a copy of the movie.  Turns out the film is actually a parody of the Spaghetti Western genre and Ennio's composition is so ridiculous because it's meant as a parody as well. When my friends and I get together now we'll still put the score on and laugh.  Anyway, RIP, Ennio.  Here it is:

https://youtu.be/iGZDKuDl3jc

It's a really great movie, and amazing soundtrack, "my fault" is as good as the work he did on the dollar trilogy or once upon a time. I also really like"the bird's tale".
Another amazing obscure italian western is "the great silence" by sergio corbucci
great soundtrack by Leone again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EdJabFFXt0

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 10:03:14 PM »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"