Author Topic: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED  (Read 10180 times)

Banned from the room

Re: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2020, 06:19:36 AM »
Don't buy Bronson's especially the raw if you're skating high impact crust.

Reds deform and they are 1000x better than the mess that I got gifted to fix.

Speed metals were a good bearing to rebuild. Do that if you're going cheaper. The even work when they are rusty as fuck

HugeBodBoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2020, 06:20:30 AM »
Always pop your shields.

Pop 'em and use Windex followed with some speed cream to keep it rolling fresh.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

Pop 'em and use Windex followed with some speed cream to keep it rolling fresh.

I just did an experiment where I cleaned the bearings with simple green mix 10 to 1. Sprayed the bearing spun it took it over to the sink washed out the simple green and dirt and the bearings spin brand new. Will throw some speed cream on but just wanted to share that a mixture of simple green does wonders on bearings. Don’t be afraid of using soap and water if you dry out with IPA after.Or an air can but first you have to take a hit from the air can

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2020, 07:21:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Don’t buy into deck tech, whether it be bonite, featherlite or vertical plies; 7 ply maple has been the industry standard for 30+ years for a reason.

Only by a ps stix board if you intend to skate it for exactly 13 days!
[close]

Gotta disagree. Flight decks have done me well, and keep me from wasting my money buying boards that get soggy.

Yeah I fully disagree with both of those statements as well. Haven't skated a VX but I have tried Flight, impact, and p2 and all have their advantages over a normal 7 ply. Impact is too stiff for me but if I was still 16 I'd probably love them, while Flight is a great old man investment. If Powell had better shapes I'd probably skate those most of the time, it definitely takes a little getting used to the springy pop and how thin/light they are but once you do they're great and mine still feels the same as it did day one.

Also maybe it's just me but none of my recent PS decks have shit out faster than any other brand. I'm well into the 3rd ply on one of my ScumCo PS decks and it still has tons of pop. I don't know if something changed with them or what because I used to think they sucked but after giving them a second chance last fall they've become more or less my go-to.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2020, 07:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t buy into deck tech, whether it be bonite, featherlite or vertical plies; 7 ply maple has been the industry standard for 30+ years for a reason.

[close]

Gotta disagree. Flight decks have done me well, and keep me from wasting my money buying boards that get soggy.
[close]

Yeah I fully disagree with both of those statements as well. Haven't skated a VX but I have tried Flight, impact, and p2 and all have their advantages over a normal 7 ply. Impact is too stiff for me but if I was still 16 I'd probably love them, while Flight is a great old man investment. If Powell had better shapes I'd probably skate those most of the time, it definitely takes a little getting used to the springy pop and how thin/light they are but once you do they're great and mine still feels the same as it did day one.

Also maybe it's just me but none of my recent PS decks have shit out faster than any other brand. I'm well into the 3rd ply on one of my ScumCo PS decks and it still has tons of pop. I don't know if something changed with them or what because I used to think they sucked but after giving them a second chance last fall they've become more or less my go-to.

Agreed. I've had 3 Flights. I like the tech but I need a shorter board.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2020, 07:28:30 AM »
My homie who breaks boards relentlessly tried one of those VX boards and said it actually maintained its strength skating it. He just hated the shape of it.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2020, 07:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t use wd40 on your bearings.

[close]

please explain why ?

interesting topic, but do a lil effort because if you don't explain why you recommend this or that, it's just useless information.
I know that when it comes to science, materials science, physics, etc. skaters aren't to be trusted at all.
[close]

It's important to use a silicone-based lubricant. WD40 is hygroscopic and will attract dust and dirt.
this link does a good job of explaining why not to use wd40
https://outreachskateboarding.com/wd40-to-clean-skateboard-bearings/
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2020, 07:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

7ply maple has been the industry standard because lots of skateboarders are not interested in change or trying something new or getting used to something new.
Technology decks are often “better” than 7ply maple boards in potentially lots of ways but for lots of us our personal preference Is 7ply maple because that’s what we have always skated and what we grew up skating and often a human mind will not want to risk change or want to take the time to get used to something new even tho it can have its benefits.

I would like to try a flight deck but I’m def not gonna skate it for a few months no matter how strong it is. I just don’t like skating the same board for longer than 3-4 weeks, same thing with shoes.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Who Cares
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2020, 07:42:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
7ply maple has been the industry standard because lots of skateboarders are not interested in change or trying something new or getting used to something new.
Technology decks are often “better” than 7ply maple boards in potentially lots of ways but for lots of us our personal preference Is 7ply maple because that’s what we have always skated and what we grew up skating and often a human mind will not want to risk change or want to take the time to get used to something new even tho it can have its benefits.

I would like to try a flight deck but I’m def not gonna skate it for a few months no matter how strong it is. I just don’t like skating the same board for longer than 3-4 weeks, same thing with shoes.

In my experience they will last about 6ish weeks of heavy skating before it starts to flex. Then it is like a springboard. I still prefer that to a soggy deck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2020, 07:49:23 AM »
My homie who breaks boards relentlessly tried one of those VX boards and said it actually maintained its strength skating it. He just hated the shape of it.

Yeah that's pretty much precisely why I only skate my flight when I'm having an "old man legs" day. It's one of those generic medium concave tapered popsicle shapes that seems like they were trying to cater to the greatest number of people. It's definitely functional but boring and I don't really like small pointy noses.

I checked out one of the VX last time I went to the shop and the shape looked decent but it was an 8.5. I also thought the 8.25 x 31.8 wide tip shape looked pretty good, if they make a VX in that shape I'll probably end up getting one at some point.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2020, 08:05:01 AM »
Give me a Flight Deck with an FA/Hockey shape or DLX Full SE shape, and ill make the switch ASAP

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

please explain why ?

interesting topic, but do a lil effort because if you don't explain why you recommend this or that, it's just useless information.
I know that when it comes to science, materials science, physics, etc. skaters aren't to be trusted at all.

WD stands for water displacing. Wd40 is not a lubricant, it is meant to solvate rust and corrosion in moving metal pieces that have seized.

Typical fucking engineer, too lazy to use google.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2020, 12:52:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

please explain why ?

[close]

It's important to use a silicone-based lubricant. WD40 is hygroscopic and will attract dust and dirt.
there is that yes, i know it's not a lubricant
it s ok to use for cleaning the grime, everyone has a can
You wash correctly after that, dry and add some lubricant.

this link does a good job of explaining why not to use wd40
https://outreachskateboarding.com/wd40-to-clean-skateboard-bearings/
this guy only says he uses WD40 the wrong way

WD stands for water displacing. Wd40 is not a lubricant, it is meant to solvate rust and corrosion in moving metal pieces that have seized.

Typical fucking engineer, too lazy to use google.
i'm fine with google, we're here to discuss, seems you missed that and the nuance of the topic. i just wanted johnes to be more precise.
Johnes meant that one should not use WD 40 as a lubricant
At the same time, cleaning bearings with it is fine with a proper protocol.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Who Cares
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2020, 01:11:47 PM »
I think BALARGUE works for WD40 or something.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
I missed nothing, I was just being an asshole.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2020, 03:31:09 PM »
Don’t pop the shields.

Always pop your shields.

Goddamnit, do I pop my shields or do I not pop my shields!?

Theeogbiing

• Rep: -2
  • Taught Bieber how to skate.
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2020, 04:12:27 PM »
Get aftermarket insoles and get in the habit of stretching before you skate

Stretch, stretch, stretch!!
10 broken ankles, and some severely mangled wrists and knees later, I finally started and regret not doing it my whole life.
You ever suck 7 dicks at once? No? Me either then....

BeanieMcGee

• Rep: 5
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2020, 05:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Don’t pop the shields.
[close]

Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

Haha! To each their own I suppose. I use to pop my shields for years but now I just keep them on now to extend the longevity.

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2020, 06:00:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Don’t pop the shields.
[close]

Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

Pop the shields on half of your bearings? 

How else will you be able to make everyone happy? 

Is my logic not sound?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2020, 06:07:56 PM »
You don't need 10 pairs of trucks, 4 1 will do.

If you find a shape or truck/deck combination you like, stick with it to minimize adjustment time between setups

Spend money on stuff that makes skateboarding less painful even if you are a young buck; proper insoles or an ankle brace

Save money on belts and rock the shoelace belt

I'd be wary about adopting ankle braces unless you absolutely have to. If you just got off a roll, you're better off recovering properly, doing physio and skating a stable shoe as opposed to developing a reliance on a brace. If you absolutely have to, its best to stop wearing it as soon as you're able to. Proper insoles defs a must though.

Not sure about the shoelace belt either, especially if your pants are somewhat baggy and you don't want them to bunch up. A flexible belt that actually as wide as the belt loops is so much better to skate in imo.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do not not use bearing spacers
[close]

Tell me more.
[close]
From my experience wheel are rarely made by tolerance, that way your spacers sometimes mush onto bearings when tighten up, or no matter how much you crank your shit it still has some play inside wheel. I still use them tho, just an old habit.

I think there's benefits of using spacers even if tolerances aren't strict and you don't crank all the way down. I had some spacers from a old set of swiss that I ended up using in several sets of bearings, not cranked down, some play in the wheel. After a while you could see the wear on both sides of the spacers which I think suggests that its still limiting the extent of the side distortion on the bearings (from powerslides etc) to some extent... maybe helps a little bit? definitely can't hurt though

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Don’t pop the shields.
[close]

Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

I pop them to maintain longevity.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t pop the shields.
[close]

Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

[close]

I pop them to maintain longevity.

I keep them on until they start to get slow, then pop em and then they get a second wind

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2020, 08:04:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that's pretty much precisely why I only skate my flight when I'm having an "old man legs" day. It's one of those generic medium concave tapered popsicle shapes that seems like they were trying to cater to the greatest number of people. It's definitely functional but boring and I don't really like small pointy noses.

I checked out one of the VX last time I went to the shop and the shape looked decent but it was an 8.5. I also thought the 8.25 x 31.8 wide tip shape looked pretty good, if they make a VX in that shape I'll probably end up getting one at some point.

Check out the new vx decks and also the creature decks tend to hve wider noses and also have vx decks

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2020, 08:18:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t pop the shields.
[close]

Expand Quote
Always pop your shields.
[close]

[close]

Pop the shields on half of your bearings? 

How else will you be able to make everyone happy? 

Is my logic not sound?

Your logic is sound, sir...nothing but sound.

No, I'm kidding. That's a Ben Franklin quote, he and I are both major assholes. I'll take it upon myself to pop 8/16 of my shields.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:49:48 AM by Adam Abbas »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2020, 08:48:03 PM »
Expand Quote

If you find a shape or truck/deck combination you like, stick with it to minimize adjustment time between setups

Spend money on stuff that makes skateboarding less painful even if you are a young buck; proper insoles or an ankle brace

[close]

I'd be wary about adopting ankle braces unless you absolutely have to. If you just got off a roll, you're better off recovering properly, doing physio and skating a stable shoe as opposed to developing a reliance on a brace. If you absolutely have to, its best to stop wearing it as soon as you're able to. Proper insoles defs a must though.

Not sure about the shoelace belt either, especially if your pants are somewhat baggy and you don't want them to bunch up. A flexible belt that actually as wide as the belt loops is so much better to skate in imo.

For sure physio and conditioning is #1 by far, using a brace before the ankle properly heals is a recipe for disaster.

I came across this video and the loss of proprioception (perception or awareness of the position and movement of the body, see 4:30) coming from ankle injuries. If the brace helps that I'm willing to try it out and couple it with my regular strength and conditioning
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2020, 08:51:30 PM »
What would you like to warn other skaters about regarding equipment?

What warning labels should exist?

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SLAPPY on Bones Rough Riders or Spitfire Chargers.

They are amazing cruising wheels, but will chunk heavily if you impact anything.

DO NOT USE CLEAR GRIP on high wear areas on your deck.
I wish I had read this two weeks ago :,(
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 86
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2020, 11:33:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For sure physio and conditioning is #1 by far, using a brace before the ankle properly heals is a recipe for disaster.

I came across this video and the loss of proprioception (perception or awareness of the position and movement of the body, see 4:30) coming from ankle injuries. If the brace helps that I'm willing to try it out and couple it with my regular strength and conditioning

I'm just going to spit in that some people are more prone to ankle injuries then others.
I cant find the study on it as we speak, but its true. Dont we all have that friend who roll their ankle all the effin time? :D

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2020, 11:37:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm just going to spit in that some people are more prone to ankle injuries then others.
I cant find the study on as we speak, but its true. Dont we all have that friend who roll their ankle all the effin time? :D

Yes, having flat feet does make you more prone to ankle injuries:

https://www.muellersportsmed.com/blog/post/injuries-caused-by-exercising-with-flat-feet
While most people with flat feet grapple with minor aches and pains, any sort of intensive athletic activity puts additional stress on the flawed foot to hip alignment and can put you at a higher risk for sports related injuries. Not every athlete with flat feet is accident-prone, but some experience repeated problems with the same few conditions.

Ankle Sprains - Flat feet allow your ankle to roll quite far inward while standing flat on the ground. This may seem like a flexibility bonus until it rolls in too far when your landing from a jump or a running step, at which point it promptly becomes a sprain. People with flat feet may sprain their ankles much more often than others.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2020, 04:19:04 AM »
Expand Quote

They are amazing cruising wheels, but will chunk heavily if you impact anything.

[close]

I contacted Powell last week and asked for one new ‘white wheel’ cause I have a white set and Kam at Powell said if he could not find a white wheel he would send a new set of whatever color is in stock. Just send a picture.

[email protected]

They really need to warn people as Powell should know that most street skaters will try and slappy at some point.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2020, 06:26:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I contacted Powell last week and asked for one new ‘white wheel’ cause I have a white set and Kam at Powell said if he could not find a white wheel he would send a new set of whatever color is in stock. Just send a picture.

[email protected]

They really need to warn people as Powell should know that most street skaters will try and slappy at some point.

That was exactly the point of this thread. To warn people about shit like that.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea