Author Topic: Northwest Pals  (Read 1396 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Northwest Pals
« on: July 08, 2020, 11:13:33 PM »
Through a few unfortunate setbacks my wife and I are heading back to the NW area in search of greener living.

Anyone have a good bead on cheap housing or tiny homes for sale? 

What’s the place that’s not burnt out by hipsters?
Dueces Bitch's

Frank and Fred

Re: Northwest Pals
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »
I don't think 'hipsters' have been a concern for at least a decade. People moving from CA and the Northeast to work in tech have priced many out. But post-Corona who knows how things are going to play out...? I was out towards Mt Hood the other day and thought living in one of those small towns outside of Hood River or White Salmon would be nice... 1 hour from Portland, better weather, quiet, stunning scenery... Lots to skate and loads of other outdoor shit to get into. No idea on rent/ property costs though...

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
I don't think 'hipsters' have been a concern for at least a decade. People moving from CA and the Northeast to work in tech have priced many out. But post-Corona who knows how things are going to play out...? I was out towards Mt Hood the other day and thought living in one of those small towns outside of Hood River or White Salmon would be nice... 1 hour from Portland, better weather, quiet, stunning scenery... Lots to skate and loads of other outdoor shit to get into. No idea on rent/ property costs though...
I use to live in Tigard and my wife lived in Milwaukee for a bit.          It’s been 11 years since we’ve been back there the rent was at max $1200 for a halfway decent house in the outskirts and a few places around the Loyd center.

What we’re looking for is real kinda hole in the wall sketchy landlord where you could get away with a few bucks short on deposits  or work off a few bucks for repairs around the property.

Although it sounds like I’m sounding like a bum it’s not as I do have quite a bit of capital to talk turkey.  Mainly I’d want to chat up someone property owner or network myself in a right place right time situation.

You’ve heard of this scenario, Your with a few people who you’re familiar with and someone asks the other about his cabin in the woods like Hey buddy I’m sick of this one place I own wish someone would come and buy this piece of shit off me.

Maybe that’d be me making a decent offer cash in hand by the next day.
Dueces Bitch's

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
You can still find that in Tigard, Milwaukie and East Portland.

GollyIamGully

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:30:48 PM »
The northwest is a pretty big area so I can only speak for the area of Oregon I live in, but cheap housing isn't really a thing. My roommate owns this house and it was like 120k for 1000 square foot house built in the 40s, on a tiny lot. I live a little further south of Portland closer to Salem or Lincoln City. 

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 05:51:59 PM »
The northwest is a pretty big area so I can only speak for the area of Oregon I live in, but cheap housing isn't really a thing. My roommate owns this house and it was like 120k for 1000 square foot house built in the 40s, on a tiny lot. I live a little further south of Portland closer to Salem or Lincoln City.
My budget is 20k for a tiny house or a piece of property that I put a trailer in.
Dueces Bitch's

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »

Did you mean 320k or 420k? Cuz that’s what a 1000 sf fixer upper costs where I’m at.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
I live in wv :( and you could literally buy a house in full for 20 g's here, ive lived in az before and shit cost way too much out west. Homes that cost in the millions out west cost less than $100 g's here

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
It’s great here but if I lived elsewhere I wouldn’t move here. Especially not if I was looking for greener pastures.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 09:08:38 AM »
I live in wv :( and you could literally buy a house in full for 20 g's here, ive lived in az before and shit cost way too much out west. Homes that cost in the millions out west cost less than $100 g's here
Dang man you serious? WV is cheap to live? Only reason we were going to go put west 420 friendly places and possibly have a place in the surrounding northwest area.
Dueces Bitch's

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 08:39:59 AM »
I just got approved for a 600$/month sro in Eugene. It may be more expensive in OR but there are still some cheap places and once you buy a place, your return on investment will be much higher. Also, the skate season here is much longer than the Midwest and east coast.

nocomplysweeper

• Rep: 9
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 11:56:16 AM »
I just got approved for a 600$/month sro in Eugene. It may be more expensive in OR but there are still some cheap places and once you buy a place, your return on investment will be much higher. Also, the skate season here is much longer than the Midwest and east coast.

I live in Eugene and I can say it's on the cheaper side but the scene here is rather tiny? Like if you have a crew that's all who you skate with. It is very laid back though. Just don't expect to hang with like a million people everyday.
blunt to rock to blunt to rock to blunt to 5-0

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 02:31:39 PM »
Eugene is great, I'm glad I moved out here from the east coast. Housing is crazy like anywhere else..I've heard of more than a few Californians looking to purchase ANY house sight unseen with a blank check..and ending up in a not so scenic part of Springfield..

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
So far this conversation has centered around Oregon, but it's also worth considering Washington State. Seattle is blown out, any livable house costs upwards of a $1m at this point, but even Tacoma still has (for the west coast) very decent cost of living.

If you are into the small town vibe, Bellingham is a great place, but since Covid, every tech dickhead is moving there, the housing market there is so competitive that houses are regularly selling for several hundred over asking. The land outside of town is still relatively cheap though. I would strongly consider living somewhere that was ~30-45 minute drive from Bham, which has a strong and thriving skate scene.

Olympia is the other big small town on the west side of the mountains, and housing and land prices there are still dirt cheap, since apparently no one wants to live in Olympia. I've only ever visited for short periods of time, and it seemed fine to me. A friend of mine bought some property of the north end of a lake for like $36,000, a few miles from town.

Lastly, on the east side of the state, there is the much maligned and misunderstood city of Spokane. They just got an insane new Grindline skatepark in their beautiful Riverfront Park, which I'll surely one day visit. In addition to that, the access to outdoor activities like hiking and mountain biking in pretty incredible - you can ride from your door to the trailhead in ~15 minutes. Housing is cheap there, and the weather is less typically "northwest" (rain beginning in October and lasting more or less through May) and more seasonal, with cold, snowy winter and warm, dry summers. Wildfires are an ever increasing concern on the east side of the mountains, though, which can make summer into a real bummer.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 29
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »
Very important update: the new park in North Bend, WA is quite fun.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »

Absolutely insane, one of the best parks on the West Coast
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Some dude

• Rep: -43
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »

Are you new to OR? It most def does not have a longer skate season then the east coast. Yes..I’ve lived both. Oregon def has rad shit to skate..but you only get to skate it consistently during the summer. The rest of the year is an absolute crap shoot on whether you get to skate or not. Many, many, many morning spent opening the blinds to grey sky wet piss weather.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2021, 10:50:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Absolutely insane, one of the best parks on the West Coast

Everyone keeps saying this and I 100% agree. Sorry to hijack the thread. Kind of related you can probably get a small house around North Bend for around 600k vs 1 million in the city