Author Topic: NAPA, CA  (Read 1168 times)

EXTRA SPICY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
NAPA, CA
« on: July 11, 2020, 07:09:21 AM »
Slap homies, unify.

I’ve taken a job in Napa that starts mid August and am officially starting the scramble in terms of housing, societal needs, etc.

Any input and info is welcomed. If you know anyone who’s looking for a stupid cleanly roommate who is a government paid scientist holler at a Pabst.

I love you all who deserved to be loved.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

peptobismol

Re: NAPA, CA
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 11:01:48 PM »
close by is st. helena park and it is dope and gotts roadsidee is up the street-ish.....if i remember.......its close by anyway. butt their food is good butt its expensive af butt you're government-paid scientist so you can afford it. if you cant and are actually poor af, a&w is right by the skatepark. the new napa skatepark off streblow drive is more like a street league type of plaza where everything is perfect.......i dont like it.......... if thats not your cup-o-tea, then try out the old napa park downtown. i cant remember exactly where the old park is cuz im hammered butt if you go to boardgarden, the yokel shop, theyd probably be able to give you dem coordinates. if you ride motorcycles, you got da preem-preem riding spots with all sorts of twistys withing close proximity. i guess itd be cool in a car, too. i dunno, i think this is a question for walker ryan, isnt he on here?

sources:
gotts.com
awrestaurants.com
boardgardennapa.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:15:24 PM by peptobismol »

sexhaver2006

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »
I second St. Helena, I regularly come an hour from Santa Rosa to skate it; its a really fun place.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 05:07:02 PM »
St. Helena park is amazing, as is Napa park itself. Close by and relatively newly opened, and I think they have lights? Also, if you like baked goods, apparently Model Bakery in Napa has the best english muffins ever. My in laws live outside of Oakland and have been driving out to Napa just to pick some of them up, if that's any indicator of their quality. Enjoy your time out there and best of luck to you on your roommate hunt.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:11:36 PM »
Going out to the Napa area next week. Staying in Vacaville. Anyone know of any spots, parks or shops close by?

the_bonerless1

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 04:44:57 AM »
Aww, man, Vacaville sucks!
But you're close to a lot of good stuff. As mentioned, Napa (both skateparks are fun, get in early before the scooter kids) and St. Helena are dope. If you need to go further north and go 101 through Ukiah, you'll need to skate that one for a bit.
Benicia skatepark is not that far the other way, and really fun. Its older though, so choose wheels accordingly for speed.
Not to mention the entire East Bay is so close (Pinole has the spined concrete mini that's great fun, Richmond has Nicholl Park, Berkeley, Town Park, etc. etc.)

I'll tell you about Vallejo, which is so very close by, and has some super fun street spots right downtown. Its my first post, I'm a gen X'er, and I don't know how to get the photos.  FYI - some google earth images are a few years out of date.
Federal Building: Marin St., famous marble ledges to (optional) hill bomb.
In and around the Vallejo Transit Center: Between Santa Cara St and Sacramento St, bank to curb, endless slappy curbs, double sided ledges, and insane curved ledge, Old Post Office: Demolished and is now a parking lot, usually empty, with a couple dozen white jersey barriers and pretty fresh black-top flatground for days.
Indian Alley at Marin St. has some fun little cellar-door wallride things and cool alleyway vibes.
Waterfront: Lots of weird little spots that can be fun, but a little rougher ground and there's more people walking around.
Savage and Cooks Distillery: Ollie-up bank-to-ledge.  Skate stoppers are mostly gone, and easy to remove.  Those little star shaped ones.  Or bring big wheels and roll over them. Just across the Napa River on Mare Island (still in Vallejo). 

Bars are mostly closed but there's three within a stone's throw of these spots. Mare Island Brewery Taproom for the overpriced IPA Hydraulic Sandwich. Lots of commuters go there straight off the ferry from SF.
Vik's Wheelhouse on the waterfront for a great place to sit on the dock to watch the sun go down over the river and the Naval base.
Dunphy's for super cheap beers and liquor, and to chat with regular folks who seem to start drinking in the mornings.
The Treehouse to get medium-priced drinks, and karaoke night.

Not a fine-dining hotspot currently, but lots of solid stuff around.
Grocery Outlet (again on Marin St.) for quick and cheap snacks and drinks while abusing the curbs across the street. 
Frymazing for Korean-soulfood fusion, fried chicken, fish, and bibimbap, etc.
Matsuri is a great Sushi place that is affordable, high-quality. Good wine list.
Fish Tacos: El Tesoro Mazatlan  Best ones around, as far as I can tell.  Chris's Club is next door.  Have a beer? It looks rowdy but I've never been.  My pal goes there and loves it.
There are many solid Filipino restaurants, lots of above average taco trucks.

Man, I love this town. Moved there in '15 from Oak, but had to relocate during the covid. You'll hear about how unsafe Vallejo is.  You should remain aware of your surroundings, but ignore the bad press and go skate and hangout, as it's largely undeserved in this new era. Plus, it's way cheaper, has some really pretty neighborhoods, lovely tree lined avenues, great hill bombs, super convenient to get on the freeway and head any direction for commuting. Or the ferry for a day mission to SF. Whatever. Its a good alternative when you get tired of the world-class skateparks and overpriced snobby wine country douchebags up northwards.

skatesum609

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »
But you're close to a lot of good stuff. As mentioned, Napa (both skateparks are fun, get in early before the scooter kids) and St. Helena are dope. If you need to go further north and go 101 through Ukiah, you'll need to skate that one for a bit.
Benicia skatepark is not that far the other way, and really fun. Its older though, so choose wheels accordingly for speed.
Not to mention the entire East Bay is so close (Pinole has the spined concrete mini that's great fun, Richmond has Nicholl Park, Berkeley, Town Park, etc. etc.)

I'll tell you about Vallejo, which is so very close by, and has some super fun street spots right downtown. Its my first post, I'm a gen X'er, and I don't know how to get the photos.  FYI - some google earth images are a few years out of date.
In and around the Vallejo Transit Center: Between Santa Cara St and Sacramento St, bank to curb, endless slappy curbs, double sided ledges, and insane curved ledge, Old Post Office: Demolished and is now a parking lot, usually empty, with a couple dozen white jersey barriers and pretty fresh black-top flatground for days.
Indian Alley at Marin St. has some fun little cellar-door wallride things and cool alleyway vibes.
Waterfront: Lots of weird little spots that can be fun, but a little rougher ground and there's more people walking around.
Savage and Cooks Distillery: Ollie-up bank-to-ledge.  Skate stoppers are mostly gone, and easy to remove.  Those little star shaped ones.  Or bring big wheels and roll over them. Just across the Napa River on Mare Island (still in Vallejo). 

Bars are mostly closed but there's three within a stone's throw of these spots. Mare Island Brewery Taproom for the overpriced IPA Hydraulic Sandwich. Lots of commuters go there straight off the ferry from SF.
Vik's Wheelhouse on the waterfront for a great place to sit on the dock to watch the sun go down over the river and the Naval base.
Dunphy's for super cheap beers and liquor, and to chat with regular folks who seem to start drinking in the mornings.

Grocery Outlet (again on Marin St.) for quick and cheap snacks and drinks while abusing the curbs across the street. 
Matsuri is a great Sushi place that is affordable, high-quality. Good wine list.
Fish Tacos: El Tesoro Mazatlan  Best ones around, as far as I can tell.  Chris's Club is next door.  Have a beer? It looks rowdy but I've never been.  My pal goes there and loves it.

Man, I love this town. Moved there in '15 from Oak, but had to relocate during the covid. You'll hear about how unsafe Vallejo is.  You should remain aware of your surroundings, but ignore the bad press and go skate and hangout, as it's largely undeserved in this new era. Plus, it's way cheaper, has some really pretty neighborhoods, lovely tree lined avenues, great hill bombs, super convenient to get on the freeway and head any direction for commuting. Or the ferry for a day mission to SF. Whatever. Its a good alternative when you get tired of the world-class skateparks and overpriced snobby wine country douchebags up northwards.
cool thanks for the feedback. The park in Napa looks good. probably not gonna venture off to Vallejo since I’ll be with the fam. Saw there is a park close by in Dixon but it looks pretty terrible

The Big Dawg

• Rep: 11
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 05:23:29 PM »
Going out to the Napa area next week. Staying in Vacaville. Anyone know of any spots, parks or shops close by?

Fairfield park is super fun and very close to Vacaville (reference Jason Adams’ opening line in Bag of Suck).

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 08:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
cool thanks for the feedback. The park in Napa looks good. probably not gonna venture off to Vallejo since I’ll be with the fam. Saw there is a park close by in Dixon but it looks pretty terrible

Swing by the Oxbow Commons in Napa proper. It’s good for the family and has a bunch of fun shit to skate, no bust factor. I’m usually there every few days.

1268 McKinstry St, Napa, CA 94559
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 10:38:20 PM »

Damn. Really dig all the Vallejo love!

Haha

I kinda grew up there from like age 3 to 16ish? Some of my earliest skating memories were in Vallejo.   Definitely a different place now from what it was in the 90s

I go back every so often and am always surprised at the amount of little interesting nooks n crannies of the town (not just for skateboarding either )

There’s a crew from out there called Buttersketch that has released some really gnarly videos and was all largely filmed in and around Vallejo / Solano County.

Corey Duffel has a ton of footy in Vallejo over the years.

skatesum609

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 11:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Swing by the Oxbow Commons in Napa proper. It’s good for the family and has a bunch of fun shit to skate, no bust factor. I’m usually there every few days.

1268 McKinstry St, Napa, CA 94559
Cool thanks for the response! Probably gonna try and hit a park then check that spot out tomorrow

skatesum609

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »
Bump
Heading out to Napa again and will be staying at the Hilton garden inn for a couple days. Anyone know any decent street spots (ledges and mellower stuff) or parks near the area

The Big Dawg

• Rep: 11
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 10:17:03 AM »
Like mentioned in this thread already, Napa and St. Helena skateparks are awesome. St. Helena is usually not crowded too.

There is a great Mexican market close by to the Napa skatepark with a taqueria inside too.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 03:53:52 PM »
Bump
Heading out to Napa again and will be staying at the Hilton garden inn for a couple days. Anyone know any decent street spots (ledges and mellower stuff) or parks near the area

@skatesum609 i PM’d my contact info. Holler at me. If I’m caught up with work I’ll drop pins on my ledge spots for ya.