Author Topic: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor  (Read 19080 times)

cricketclub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Glad this thread is here.

Skate shoes produced in the US would probably cost around $175 retail. If they could come up with sidewall and outsole compounds (just thinking cupsoles here rn) that lasted a long time it could perhaps help the consumer justify the expense, but that would likely also raise the price above $200.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Bighugemegajohnson

• Rep: -75
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Capitalism gives you the choice not to support these companies, stupidity gives you reason to believe supporting them is your only choice
[close]

Capitalism has not given us the choice of a non-sweatshop skate shoe.
It makes ethical choices extremely rare.
This is the illusion of choice.

Plus, it’s directly fueling the burning of the planet.

Capitalism is so fundamentally flawed, yet we are so indoctrinated to believe it’s the only choice we get posts like this.
[close]
“Skate shoe” you can wear any shoe and still skate
There are ethical shoe companies out in the world support them give them your money and give them feedback show them “skaters” are supporting them maybe if they still want “skaters” money the ethical shoe company will make “skate shoes”

Or start your own “skate shoe” company that holds up to your ethics and make bank and be the first in this hip new niche market
[close]

Jesus fuck you are dense. I’m dealing with other shit right now, so I can’t give you a calm, rational answer you your fucking stupid, trolling question.

I think you already know why there will never be an ethical shoe, but you are too fucking unethical to admit it.

I’ll go to time out until I’m better.

Lol we are all dealing with other shit right now, not sure why you have to bring up your personal  emotional unstableness to a skateboarding forum. Way to cop out 
But when you turn to name calling and bullying you really have no argument. With a attitude like yours, you are right nothing will change.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:48:39 AM by Bighugemegajohnson »

Bighugemegajohnson

• Rep: -75
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
These are the people making nikes for y’all
from r/gifs

[close]
2018 video of inmates being moved by train? How is this unique to China?
[close]

Can you shut the fuck up already, you seem to have an agenda. Why do you keep bringing the US into an issue specific to China?

As fucked up as the prison industrial complex is in the US, these are not just inmates. These are people who were persecuted for their religion, race, or political opinions. People who have been arrested and trialed in a private court, in a country that does not allow freedom of expression and press, and does not practice democracy.

It's not just inmates being moved by train, how daft can you be? Of course the US has its problems with systems that are disadvantageous for minority groups, the looming threat of police and the law being discriminate and harsh on you is terrible. However, these people do not suffer from a system that disadvantages them, the system rids of them with autocratic force, without reason or trial. Don't try to downplay the issues faced by the Uygurs in China by saying it's common occurrence in other countries, because in majority of the western world it isn't, you're being just as dismissive as whites that claim they suffer as well to minority groups, it's not about you for once.
[close]
Of course I have an agenda. You do too, whether you are aware of it or not.

US politicians, led by conservatives and centrist democrats, (famous for championing causes of Islamic peoples worldwide?) cheerlead for a multilateral trade war, levy sanctions designed to pressure both Chinese corporations and citizens-with the hope of triggering full on hot conflict so as to...protect human rights of Uyghur Muslims?

Yeah cause without the US ‘s involvement, China would be fine not violating anyone’s rights for thousands of years 

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
These are the people making nikes for y’all
from r/gifs

[close]
2018 video of inmates being moved by train? How is this unique to China?
[close]

Can you shut the fuck up already, you seem to have an agenda. Why do you keep bringing the US into an issue specific to China?

As fucked up as the prison industrial complex is in the US, these are not just inmates. These are people who were persecuted for their religion, race, or political opinions. People who have been arrested and trialed in a private court, in a country that does not allow freedom of expression and press, and does not practice democracy.

It's not just inmates being moved by train, how daft can you be? Of course the US has its problems with systems that are disadvantageous for minority groups, the looming threat of police and the law being discriminate and harsh on you is terrible. However, these people do not suffer from a system that disadvantages them, the system rids of them with autocratic force, without reason or trial. Don't try to downplay the issues faced by the Uygurs in China by saying it's common occurrence in other countries, because in majority of the western world it isn't, you're being just as dismissive as whites that claim they suffer as well to minority groups, it's not about you for once.
[close]
Of course I have an agenda. You do too, whether you are aware of it or not.

US politicians, led by conservatives and centrist democrats, (famous for championing causes of Islamic peoples worldwide?) cheerlead for a multilateral trade war, levy sanctions designed to pressure both Chinese corporations and citizens-with the hope of triggering full on hot conflict so as to...protect human rights of Uyghur Muslims?

What's the point of your post? Again you're looking at this from the perspective of the US, not all Slap posters are from the US and the world doesn't revolve around the position you believe your country should take/is taking.

Whether you think reasoning for the recent spotlight on the Uygur people is due to motivations regarding trade (which I don't disagree with in whole), it doesn't take away from the fact that these people have suffered for decades. It just so happens that there's now global awareness of the issue, and more people are becoming aware of the human rights violations (systematic kidnapping, brainwashing, organ harvesting, slave labor, sex trafficking, closed/private trials) of minority groups in China.

This is not something new, the Tibet people have faced the same oppression, so have those who practice Falun Gong, or those who voice political opposition to the Peoples Republic of China. Just for protesting or making comments critical of their own political system, people face discriminate handling that would cause uproars in any developed Western country. You have all this, and yet there are people like you that actively red herring these issues and fixate the topic on your own country and its political climate. I would be equally critical of people doing the exact thing you're doing, but with issues specific to the US and its discriminatory handling of minority groups, and the slave labor that still exists through the prison system. If someone tries to downplay the issues at hand in the US with poor reasoning that discrimination or suffering is happening elsewhere or to themselves as well, I would be equally critical of their reasoning for doing so and their motivations.

You bring absolutely no depth to the conversation, the only thing you're achieving is the desensitization of the issue by downplaying the suffering and corruption happening in another country as something trivial. I believe either you don't understand the severity of PRoC and their autocratic regime, or of the bullying faced by neighboring countries (China marching into Indian borders https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53061476, Hong Kong's national security law imposed by Beijing https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/07/chinas-national-security-law-in-hong-kong-hk-details-new-powers.html).

I do have an agenda as you say, but my agenda is a lot more clean and honest than the one you have. My agenda is to open up a constructive discussion that brings awareness regarding the specific human rights violations going on in China, and hopefully allowing people to discuss ways of helping the issues at hand. Your agenda on the other hand, unless you address it yourself, I question it because your only addition to the discussion at hand has been to change focus of the discussion or topic. I also believe your rhetoric is in line with some type of ideologue thinking, but who knows.

The world came together for those suffering from systematic racism in the US in the past few months, and there has been global support for the reform of the police state and privatized prison systems in America. However, it seems you can't return the same acknowledgement and awareness to issues faced outside of your own countries border, this makes me question your lack of reasoning and empathy. If you think the US is bad, acknowledge that China is just as bad if not worse, at least you have the freedom to express your distrust in your system without the threat of being held accountable with imprisonment or death. I have friends in Hong Kong, friends in India, friends in Taiwan, friends in China, and I myself live in Japan. Our experienced threat by PRoC is real, especially for my friends currently in Hong Kong. I love Chinese people and culture, but I am purely critical of their political regime.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14

damn well said dude

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -77
I mention the United States because they are the leaders of the global community exerting pressure on China & using HK/Uyghur issues as a cudgel to exact trade concessions, not human rights improvements.

Anyone interested in human rights should be interested in accurate information. I would challenge anyone comfortable speaking in definitive terms to examine the sources and reporting they consider evidence (e.g. BBC/CNBC function effectively as state controlled media.)

thomas kook

Everyone writing this off should be ashamed. “Duh it would be hippocritcal if me to be mad duh, because my computer is uh made in China”
This is pretty transparent. China allows and provides slaves to make products for large companies. We can make a difference if we start small and stop supporting this. The only thing that resembles capitalism in this scenario is that money is exchanged for goods. I don’t care where you land on the political spectrum. You should be outraged and angry at this.

i was outraged and angry and then i realized i still needed to have breakfast. i'll write amnesty international a letter this afternoon relax

thomas kook

i'm finding it hard to tell who's here from 4chan and who's from reddit i shouldn't have posted here

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
I mention the United States because they are the leaders of the global community exerting pressure on China & using HK/Uyghur issues as a cudgel to exact trade concessions, not human rights improvements.

Anyone interested in human rights should be interested in accurate information. I would challenge anyone comfortable speaking in definitive terms to examine the sources and reporting they consider evidence (e.g. BBC/CNBC function effectively as state controlled media.)

I think I've invested enough time responding to your posts, again you haven't added anything to the discussion aside from the dismissal of these issues with "America wants better trade leverage". I have been following the treatment of the Uygur people by China for 10 years, this is not some issue that recently popped up, it is not some conspiracy leverage trade.

Your only take back from my post is questioning the linked articles for its published source, I'm convinced no matter what source I list you'd not find them credible. Also, state controlled/funded media does not diminish the credibility of a publishing source, are you arguing that privatized media is then more credible? If you want you can list me some of your trusted information sources of why these issues are exaggerated, I'll be sure to keep an open mind and my friends in HK and India would be very interested if you have them. If you ever bother to read/research into the topics I've previously listed, I think you'll come to know how poor your understanding of reality is. You might find the world consists of more than China and the US, the political climate in Asia is different from what you know of and our lived experiences and issues are very real.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 585
Nike’s current advertising campaign that purports to support human rights is pretty fucking sickening considering they use slave labour to make their products. In one shot, they frame a little girl skating in a burka split against Leo Baker skating with a pride flag. Like, it’s cool you guys wanna support lgbtq people, but that support is directly linked to the enslavement of people just like the little girl skating in the burka.

Frankly, I’d respect the company more if their next campaign was just Ronald McDonald clubbing a baby seal to death, and the slogan was “Nike: fuck you, that’s why.”
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

freddiethreepwood

• Rep: 24
Nike’s current advertising campaign that purports to support human rights is pretty fucking sickening considering they use slave labour to make their products. In one shot, they frame a little girl skating in a burka split against Leo Baker skating with a pride flag. Like, it’s cool you guys wanna support lgbtq people, but that support is directly linked to the enslavement of people just like the little girl skating in the burka.

Frankly, I’d respect the company more if their next campaign was just Ronald McDonald clubbing a baby seal to death, and the slogan was “Nike: fuck you, that’s why.”
I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I DM'd Leo Baker, Brian Anderson and Alexis Sablone about this. In each case I sent one polite DM explaining the situation, with referencing, and then followed up with 3/4 others, at weekly-ish intervals, asking them to react. The last DM was this:

Hi Alexis/Leo/Brian, I hope you are well. I just wanted to follow up with you about this (and this is the last time I'll do so). Basically, Nike are using forced Uighur labour in Xinjiang. (See above.) It's incredibly serious. And I'm addressing you because you are a major civil rights ambassador for Nike Inc. I don't think American civil rights can be bought with Uighur human rights. Please read and respond to this. Best, etc

I've had no reactions from any of these people and until they stop shilling for these cunts I have no respect for any of them.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
I feel you, but I also feel conflicted about holding a negative opinion of the team riders because I am not sure to what extent they can be held accountable for the actions of their employers. Similarly, if I buy the products they endorse so I can play on a wooden toy, to what degree am I culpable? Whatever. I appreciate your effort.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

freddiethreepwood

Re: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2020, 04:33:03 AM »
I feel you, but I also feel conflicted about holding a negative opinion of the team riders because I am not sure to what extent they can be held accountable for the actions of their employers. Similarly, if I buy the products they endorse so I can play on a wooden toy, to what degree am I culpable? Whatever. I appreciate your effort.

I'm a big fan of their skating, especially BA, but feel no such conflict. They are not merely employees; they are ambassadors for this company and public promoters of its "civil rights" branding campaign. Their privileged lives are being funded by Uighur slavery. Lots of people give up comfortable jobs for ethical reasons. These cunts haven't. Just following orders.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2020, 05:32:29 AM »

It’s just image and branding. They’d dog fighting and scootering if they thought it would make them more money.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Secomprancolchones

• Rep: 0
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:58 AM »
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. This doesn't exonerate people from spending their dollars thoughtfully, but it is important to remember.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2020, 07:07:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm a big fan of their skating, especially BA, but feel no such conflict. They are not merely employees; they are ambassadors for this company and public promoters of its "civil rights" branding campaign. Their privileged lives are being funded by Uighur slavery. Lots of people give up comfortable jobs for ethical reasons. These cunts haven't. Just following orders.

Yeah, BA has been a fav of mine since I saw Welcome to Hell, so admiration has probably made me reluctant to feel negatively toward him in particular. I’m beginning to see how that might make me part of the problem.

freddiethreepwood

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2020, 08:03:48 AM »
Expand Quote
There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. This doesn't exonerate people from spending their dollars thoughtfully, but it is important to remember.
[close]
Is it possibly truer to say that any relativistic generalisation expressed about a specific case gives people the opportunity to ignore that specific case?

cancelkaren

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2020, 08:32:01 AM »
fred, u engage in oppression just by existing in a capitalistic society
so stop throwing stones and go buy a pair of vejas and show off ur privilege

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »

Wait, do you want I should exist and oppress, or wear Vejas and pitch rocks? I’m confused.

freddiethreepwood

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2020, 09:57:18 AM »

I can't afford a pair of Vejas because I've actively cost myself money it would have been easier to just sit back and take, so I'm not suggesting any of your mates or heroes do anything I'm not doing myself right now. Throw your fucking pebbles elsewhere, cornball.

Hombreezy

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »
My new Tyshawns skate great. Thanks Uyghur Muslims!

Zephyr-Cum

• Rep: -103
  • DIE
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2020, 11:17:10 PM »
Bob Marley in Hell. Powerful image. Powerful.
I AM A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION.

"Shalom".

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2020, 01:26:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm a bit stupid when it comes to economics. And don't know where to begin learning. But is it even possible to have a product made that is 'affordable' to us without the use of some nasty underpaid labor being involved?

Not backing slave labor btw. We mostly grow up in a world where a large amount of goods in front of us are products of both land/environment and people being heavily exploited.

It makes me feel helpless and I have yet to come to a conclusion about how to tackle this.
[close]

Pontus Alv's new shoe company, Last Resort AB, seems to be combating this issue somewhat. Obviously it will be skater owned and I think the shoes will be manufactured in Portugal. I'm no expert but from my understanding Portugal's shoe manufacturing industry has been on the rise lately.

They apparently have better craftsmanship and working conditions than their Asian counterparts right now. They still basically get paid the federal minimum but I guess that's better than literal slave labor.

Like I said I'm no expert but Portugal manufacturing seems like a much better option right now. Last Resort is supposed to be coming soon so we'll have to see how affordable they are but Pontus has said that they would be. I'm hoping the shoes are good and affordable because even small skater owned brands like State are made in china because they feel they have to in order to compete.

Edit: Never mind Last Resort are made in Vietnam.... God damn it Pontus.

There's no footwear factories in Portugal that do the vulcanisation process. Thats what Pontus told me when I reached out to know a bit more about Last Resort... I believe him because I remember reading about that issue a few years ago when a old traditional vulc Portuguese brand from the 70's (called Sanjo) had to produce their stuff in Asia because no one did Vulc in PT. Also for something with such a low quantity behind would probably mean retail of 100+ euros to produce in Portugal unfortunately.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Synthy

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2020, 11:39:40 PM »

according to this insta post from the member of the EU parliament leading the effort to get brands to stop using uyghur slave labor, Adidas was the first brand that committed to cutting ties with offending suppliers. not to say that their stuff is ethical, but at least it's something.

notably it seems that Nike is the most recalcitrant of the brands. they seem to have zero intention of even doing any lip service to avoiding the exploitation of uyghurs.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2020, 08:59:22 AM »
Wild. A company that was built with Nazi gold and used slave labour in world war 2 to supply the wermacht has somehow taken the moral and ethical high ground.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2020, 07:09:51 AM »
Now if only they could make a pair of shoes that were even one tenth as good as they look...

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2020, 08:07:07 AM »
One day, I hope all of the woke fucktards who promote and represent nike realize they are complicit in a slave operation.

Apealien

• Rep: -10
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2020, 08:31:47 PM »
Fuck nike and adidas. People need to know about this. Big corporations shouldn't be in skateboarding anyway.
Eggplant boneless roast beef melon blunt tic tac

Ass

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2020, 12:31:01 AM »
I've worn Cons for several years and stopped because of this.
I'm wearing State now. They are also made in China but at least it's skater owned...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.