Author Topic: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor  (Read 18980 times)

veritas

Re: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2020, 01:01:31 AM »
Wild. A company that was built with Nazi gold and used slave labour in world war 2 to supply the wermacht has somehow taken the moral and ethical high ground.

Imagine how bad the shit in China must be if this happened. The CCP is also giving out tons of loans / investing in Africa right now and we can assume it’s not for the purpose of making sure all the locals get free Nyjah 2’s. Their government has no problem enslaving and disappearing its own people.

This doesn’t even take into account the widespread organ harvesting that goes on and how they have basically no waiting list for organ transplants there. There’s something like a two week wait for a heart transplant which is amazing considering you have to know where the heart is coming from to schedule a transplant date...

cky enthusiast

« Reply #121 on: December 07, 2020, 06:07:12 AM »
you dudes are gonna freak when you find out where the cobalt in your iphones come from

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #122 on: December 07, 2020, 06:09:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Wild. A company that was built with Nazi gold and used slave labour in world war 2 to supply the wermacht has somehow taken the moral and ethical high ground.
[close]

Imagine how bad the shit in China must be if this happened. The CCP is also giving out tons of loans / investing in Africa right now and we can assume it’s not for the purpose of making sure all the locals get free Nyjah 2’s. Their government has no problem enslaving and disappearing its own people.

This doesn’t even take into account the widespread organ harvesting that goes on and how they have basically no waiting list for organ transplants there. There’s something like a two week wait for a heart transplant which is amazing considering you have to know where the heart is coming from to schedule a transplant date...
They’re coming to Africa to take land, resources like ore and gold, and recolonization just repeats itself.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4LfnlVwtE&t=32s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BLuvYZt-RBI&t=100s

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: December 07, 2020, 06:11:12 AM »
you dudes are gonna freak when you find out where the cobalt in your iphones come from
over half of the worlds supply comes from Africa. Specifically the Congo

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

cky enthusiast

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2020, 06:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my point was more like there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Here we go, again. Everybody, back in the pile!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2020, 06:46:42 AM »
i am the debate master, who dare challenge me

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2020, 06:51:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Here we go, again. Everybody, back in the pile!
Expand Quote
Capitalism gives you the choice not to support these companies, stupidity gives you reason to believe supporting them is your only choice
[close]

Capitalism has not given us the choice of a non-sweatshop skate shoe.
It makes ethical choices extremely rare.
This is the illusion of choice.

Plus, it’s directly fueling the burning of the planet.

Capitalism is so fundamentally flawed, yet we are so indoctrinated to believe it’s the only choice we get posts like this.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2020, 07:14:27 AM »
This thread bums me out. I always thought of skateboarding as sort of anti the system but it seems like that's not always the case. People are actually defending slave labor and saying everything sucks so who cares. That is the essence of: no ethical consumption under capitalism.

These are human beings just like you and me. Forced to give up their hopes and dreams. Tortured, indoctrinated, forced to work, and having their bodies subject to unwanted medical procedures. Can you even imagine what that must be like? I can't. Its unconscionable.

I get it, when you start piling up all the horrible shit in the world, it's hard to think you can effect change. But to me, it's about my own conscience.

Can I really enjoying skating a pair of shoes made by an actual slave? Ask yourself that question. If you can, and you don't care, I worry about you.

What's the answer? I don't know. Hopefully, Last Resort isn't using by slave labor. Maybe I'll switch to them. NB is made in Indonesia, I don't think they are using slaves either.

There is no clear global solution right now. In fact Nike is pushing to keep using slaves and lobbying Congress to make sure laws aren't passed to restrict it.

All I know is that I don't want to support it.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2020, 07:20:49 AM »
if you want to divorce yourself from exploiting the global south to make your shit you have a lot further to go then switching from uighur slaves to indonesian slaves tbh

devourthehours

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2020, 07:30:04 AM »
if you want to divorce yourself from exploiting the global south to make your shit you have a lot further to go then switching from uighur slaves to indonesian slaves tbh

I know that Nike and Adidas are using slaves labor. I can't in good conscience support them anymore. I started looking here: https://goodonyou.eco/about/

New balance is better than Nike or Adidas but still not the best. Cariuma is near the top of the list but Slap has convinced me they are a front for scientology so...

Edit: I don't know that the site above is totally accurate. Also, I don't want to imply that all labor in Asia is slavery. I work for a company that manufactures in Taiwan and it's definitely not run by slaves. You can produce ethically there, it just costs more money.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2020, 07:32:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know that Nike and Adidas are using slaves labor. I can't in good conscience support them anymore. I started looking here: https://goodonyou.eco/about/

New balance is better than Nike or Adidas but still not the best. Cariuma is near the top of the list but Slap has convinced me they are a front for scientology so...

cool, next up is the agricultural holocaust in your fridge, the conflict minerals in your phone etc.

edit: to be clear, i’m not saying don’t boycott the shit- there’s mad things i don’t do/will not pay for for moral/ethical reasons. but to suddenly have a weird conviction for labor practices in this one highly specific instance (and only when a foreign country does it) leaves a bad taste in my mouth

devourthehours

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2020, 07:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

cool, next up is the agricultural holocaust in your fridge, the conflict minerals in your phone etc.

Cool, so we should give up.

Here's a phone that is more ethical than other options: https://www.fairphone.com/en/

And if you're worried about agriculture, go vegan and eat local, seasonal food.

It's not about getting to the finish line right off the bat. Progess takes takes time and we have to start somewhere.

I'd rather not throw my hands up and give up right away. You'd think skateboarding taught us to keep trying.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:53:22 AM by skatekm0 »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2020, 08:45:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Edit: I don't know that the site above is totally accurate. Also, I don't want to imply that all labor in Asia is slavery. I work for a company that manufactures in Taiwan and it's definitely not run by slaves. You can produce ethically there, it just costs more money.

None of those companies sell skate shoes.... In my eyes.

Lakai, Emerica , State, Last Resort..... There's no reason to buy any of them brands
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

devourthehours

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2020, 08:54:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

edit: to be clear, i’m not saying don’t boycott the shit- there’s mad things i don’t do/will not pay for for moral/ethical reasons. but to suddenly have a weird conviction for labor practices in this one highly specific instance (and only when a foreign country does it) leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Thanks for clarifying. I'll say personally, this is not the only case where I'm putting my money where my mouth is. There are plenty of companies I don't buy from for ethical reasons. I was just focused on the skateboarding side in this thread to keep focused.

devourthehours

« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2020, 08:57:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

None of those companies sell skate shoes.... In my eyes.

Lakai, Emerica , State, Last Resort..... There's no reason to buy any of them brands

True. I'm personally waiting for Last Resort to make a size 13 and I want to try the Lakai Telford's when they come out.

Honestly, I have some experience with overseas manufacturing and what I've found is that smaller companies that make less products always seem to have a cleaner supply chain than large corporations. That's why I'm willing to support the smaller players in our space.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2020, 09:21:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Here's a phone that is more ethical than other options: https://www.fairphone.com/en/

It's not about getting to the finish line right off the bat. Progess takes takes time and we have to start somewhere.

I'd rather not throw my hands up and give up right away. You'd think skateboarding taught us to keep trying.

there’s a lot of things i choose to go without on a daily basis- i refrain from being preachy as i understand it is ultimately a losing battle in the face of a post industrial world.

again, boycotting is fine, but if you aren’t going to attempt consistency there’s not much a point

devourthehours

« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

there’s a lot of things i choose to go without on a daily basis- i refrain from being preachy as i understand it is ultimately a losing battle in the face of a post industrial world.

again, boycotting is fine, but if you aren’t going to attempt consistency there’s not much a point

I'm so confused by this stance. So never speak up or call out atrocities that are committed? Is that the idea? Just hope to die one day thinking, "Well, thank god no one thought I was preachy."

Shouldn't we try to do better?

cky enthusiast

Re: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave l
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2020, 09:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm so confused by this stance. So never speak up or call out atrocities that are committed? Is that the idea? Just hope to die one day thinking, "Well, thank god no one thought I was preachy."

Shouldn't we try to do better?

what does “trying to do better” look like to you outside of calling out one specific countries treatment of the global south for its skateboarding footwear division

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2020, 02:13:00 PM »
This thread bums me out. I always thought of skateboarding as sort of anti the system but it seems like that's not always the case. People are actually defending slave labor and saying everything sucks so who cares. That is the essence of: no ethical consumption under capitalism.

These are human beings just like you and me. Forced to give up their hopes and dreams. Tortured, indoctrinated, forced to work, and having their bodies subject to unwanted medical procedures. Can you even imagine what that must be like? I can't. Its unconscionable.

I get it, when you start piling up all the horrible shit in the world, it's hard to think you can effect change. But to me, it's about my own conscience.

Can I really enjoying skating a pair of shoes made by an actual slave? Ask yourself that question. If you can, and you don't care, I worry about you.

What's the answer? I don't know. Hopefully, Last Resort isn't using by slave labor. Maybe I'll switch to them. NB is made in Indonesia, I don't think they are using slaves either.

There is no clear global solution right now. In fact Nike is pushing to keep using slaves and lobbying Congress to make sure laws aren't passed to restrict it.

well said.

I'm Vans loyal and hope they practice humane manufacturing. I had this conversation about Vans with a Pal not too long ago and we couldn't find any evidence of slave labor, I just hope we looked deep enough.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

well said.

I'm Vans loyal and hope they practice humane manufacturing. I had this conversation about Vans with a Pal not too long ago and we couldn't find any evidence of slave labor, I just hope we looked deep enough.

if they’re competitively priced someone’s getting fucked somewhere in that supply chain, rest assured lol

livin on a speyer

« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2020, 06:22:04 PM »
Nike. Take a hike!

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2021, 01:32:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

www.fairphone.com
Got mine two weeks ago because my second-hand iPhone battery died and Apple didn't want to replace it because it was not a genuine part.
I love it so far !
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2021, 01:49:14 AM »
It is better to incur a mild rebuke than to perform an onerous task
listen to cosmic psychos

freddiethreepwood

• Rep: 24

cky enthusiast

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2021, 05:45:25 AM »
their blood is on YOUR HANDS brian anderson

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2021, 07:46:38 AM »
damn didn’t know slap was a CIA suckfest lol

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2021, 08:20:29 AM »
damn didn’t know slap was a CIA suckfest lol

?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2021, 08:41:11 AM »
Ok it’s kinda crazy to think that some of the poc skaters on Nike are descendants of slaves and now they have shoes with their names on them... that are made by slaves. Wild