Author Topic: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor  (Read 18981 times)

cky enthusiast

Re: Nike and Adidas amongst global brands using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2021, 08:50:51 AM »
Ok it’s kinda crazy to think that some of the poc skaters on Nike are descendants of slaves and now they have shoes with their names on them... that are made by slaves. Wild

is that you in your sig cause ur a clown

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2021, 09:01:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Ok it’s kinda crazy to think that some of the poc skaters on Nike are descendants of slaves and now they have shoes with their names on them... that are made by slaves. Wild
[close]

is that you in your sig cause ur a clown
it’s Jeff King fool

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2021, 09:07:17 AM »

Agreed.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
While I'm not supporting the companies, these atrocity stories are state department fabrications. Please don't forget who is teaching you this stuff.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »
What's especially disgusting is the fight put up by Nike and Apple against the anti slavery legislation. They know they are being bad and aren't hiding it.

Also, while I'm here I wanna put these things out there:

-the brunt of the responsibility to change practices under capitalism lies with govs and corpos, not individual consumers making choices or "voting with their $" we can only choose what is available, and like others have said... no true ethical choices.

-America is absolutely guilty of encouraging China to enter global trade and benefitting from their developments as a major trade partner, then slandering China for the resulting human rights violations that came with that rapid development (these kinds of violations, like slavery, were an essential ingredient to the United States' own development). Not saying China isn't culpable for the crimes, but it feels gross and hypocritical to sit back and call them evil for human/worker's rights violations when we knew it would happen (from personal experience) when we started Sino-American relations, and know it's happening now while our companies involved actively fight to keep it going.

-Attention should be drawn to these issues in China with an understanding that they are not outside of the norm for major developing economies, and a realization that these crimes seem outrageous to us largely because we are about a hundred years removed from the peak of the fight to improve conditions for workers stateside (and only a bit further removed from our very own brand of re-education involving a minority: Native Americans). China's only really been at this global economy game since like 1970. Again, not excusing it, but being realistic and understanding this is how the world has historically worked under capitalism, as disgusting it is.

-ideally, we'd replace the whole thing with something actually equitable (dunno if it'll ever be possible bc we are in so deep, and I am not going to claim to have practical steps to get there, so don't ask me for any bright ideas)
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cky enthusiast

« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »
What's especially disgusting is the fight put up by Nike and Apple against the anti slavery legislation. They know they are being bad and aren't hiding it.

-the brunt of the responsibility to change practices under capitalism lies with govs and corpos, not individual consumers making choices or "voting with their $" we can only choose what is available, and like others have said... no true ethical choices.

-America is absolutely guilty of encouraging China to enter global trade and benefitting from their developments as a major trade partner, then slandering China for the resulting human rights violations that came with that rapid development (these kinds of violations, like slavery, were an essential ingredient to the United States' own development). Not saying China isn't culpable for the crimes, but it feels gross and hypocritical to sit back and call them evil for human/worker's rights violations when we knew it would happen (from personal experience) when we started Sino-American relations, and know it's happening now while our companies involved actively fight to keep it going.

-Attention should be drawn to these issues in China with an understanding that they are not outside of the norm for major developing economies, and a realization that these crimes seem outrageous to us largely because we are about a hundred years removed from the peak of the fight to improve conditions for workers stateside (and only a bit further removed from our very own brand of re-education involving a minority: Native Americans). China's only really been at this global economy game since like 1970. Again, not excusing it, but being realistic and understanding this is how the world has historically worked under capitalism, as disgusting it is.

-ideally, we'd replace the whole thing with something actually equitable (dunno if it'll ever be possible bc we are in so deep, and I am not going to claim to have practical steps to get there, so don't ask me for any bright ideas)

thank you for this but you’re aiming entirely too high for a board that still refers to black skateboarders as “descendants of slaves”

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2021, 11:08:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thank you for this but you’re aiming entirely too high for a board that still refers to black skateboarders as “descendants of slaves”
I was talking about specifically the African Americans on the Nike team. Obviously, not all black people have slaves in their family tree but I guarantee every African American on the Nike team has a white last name so they must of had slaves in their family otherwise they’d have African last names.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2021, 11:14:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I was talking about specifically the African Americans on the Nike team. Obviously, not all black people have slaves in their family tree but I guarantee every African American on the Nike team has a white last name so they must of had slaves in their family otherwise they’d have African last names.

@youoverthere do you think those skaters have some sort of responsibility to do/say something about it? Others were stating they think skaters who belong to minority groups like BA or Leo should stand up to the company and do something.

I think they have a platform they could use and could exert some pressure, but at the end of the day it feels more like blaming them for an issue that's way deeper and involves much larger, more powerful forces. It would be sick to see anyone on the team stand up and be vocal on the issue, but best to not confuse their inaction with the cause of the problem.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

lmao “hey kevin, what’s good with your slave ancestors? why are you hitting me?!”

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
The Gulag Vulc II will work its way into your local skateshop this spring.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2021, 02:03:51 PM »
It's all fucking industrial capitalism that we, as a skateboarding community or communities within skateboarding absolutely welcomed into our little realm of reality. There's no such thing as ethical/equitable consumption on the levels contemporary humanity buys shit, even in skateboarding before the big names, I mean VF owns Vans and is a total sweatshop brand- if you've seen the sweatshops and slums wherein workers live in places like Cambodia, they're a step up from Uyghur slavery, but many steps down from good living. I agree that it's not totally on the consumer in regarding changes in policy, same with say recycling, petroleum consumption, etc but when you've got a bunch of fuck boys fanning out with endless supplies of branded gear, they're culpable in supporting it. The pros are the ones getting paid to rep the shit, literally paid to wear free clothing/shoes and the consumers are the ones spending bank to look cool or something. 
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »
Doing something is always better than doing nothing, I suppose! Real change won't come from small boycotts of individual brands when it's a systemic thing, but why sit back and accept it?

Spreading specific information about this kind of thing happening is a big deal, though, and the word of influential pros who serve as ambassadors for these companies matters a ton. Maybe even fuckboys can experience a change of heart and realize that justice is more important than being on trend if they hear it from Travis Scott!

It's the fuckboys in congress and ceo positions I'm more worried about.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

@Youoverthere do you think those skaters have some sort of responsibility to do/say something about it? Others were stating they think skaters who belong to minority groups like BA or Leo should stand up to the company and do something.

I think they have a platform they could use and could exert some pressure, but at the end of the day it feels more like blaming them for an issue that's way deeper and involves much larger, more powerful forces. It would be sick to see anyone on the team stand up and be vocal on the issue, but best to not confuse their inaction with the cause of the problem.
yes, I mean we just saw that article about the Holocaust Memorial Day being used to shed more light on uyghur problem because the Jewish leaders understand that essentially these people are being put in internment camps.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

@Youoverthere do you think those skaters have some sort of responsibility to do/say something about it? Others were stating they think skaters who belong to minority groups like BA or Leo should stand up to the company and do something.

[close]
yes, I mean we just saw that article about the Holocaust Memorial Day being used to shed more light on uyghur problem because the Jewish leaders understand that essentially these people are being put in internment camps.

I hear you, that was a huge act of solidarity. You'd think at least the skaters who are champions of other rights issues would say something since they've already committed themselves to causes and have tons of support as a result.

It would be a very, very bad look for Nike to ignore their voices or worse, cut their contracts because they spoke out about it.

wigwam_24

• Rep: 24
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2021, 04:01:37 PM »
So does this mean we have to cancel everyone that rides for Nike/Adidas?

EVERYONE!!!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!! NOW!!!!

My hass is out

veritas

« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2021, 04:35:01 PM »
Nike knows all of this and does not give a shit, and who would risk What’s likely their biggest paycheck right now during a pandemic by accusing them of being modern day slave drivers. Although they are the type of company to act surprised and put out a feel good social media campaign

Chiquita banana and Coca Cola both literally partnered with paramilitary death squads and terrorists in South America. This type of shit is more the rule than the exception

assplay jay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2021, 04:52:08 PM »

"it's not our fault, we need this stuff". you sound like the pre-civil war south "it's not our fault for having slaves, it would be too expensive otherwise. blame the people who brought them here on ships."
if you don't care about slavery in other countries, fine. but don't then pretend to care about descendants of American slaves. cause you only care when it's expedient.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2021, 05:23:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
"it's not our fault, we need this stuff". you sound like the pre-civil war south "it's not our fault for having slaves, it would be too expensive otherwise. blame the people who brought them here on ships."
if you don't care about slavery in other countries, fine. but don't then pretend to care about descendants of American slaves. cause you only care when it's expedient.

how do you feel about ICE

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2021, 05:55:05 PM »
Nike knows all of this and does not give a shit, and who would risk What’s likely their biggest paycheck right now during a pandemic by accusing them of being modern day slave drivers.

Hopefully the type of people who claim to give a shit

This type of shit is more the rule than the exception

This is the point I'm trying to make. People acting like China is some horrible villain tend to forget every major power haas done this or something equally horrific at one point or another.

Quote from: assplay jay

You either didn't read my post (or any others I've posted on this thread, for that matter) or you didn't understand it. Either way, to sum it up my argument is that the folks acting like China is specifically horrible for this should keep in mind that the US has done this and other major developed nations did it too. When criticizing them, it is important to remember this fact so as to stay off the imaginary moral high ground Americans use to talk down about China.

I also tried to explain that historically, capitalism has created the conditions for slavery to happen as countries grow, often legally (which, to be as transparent as I could possibly be, I do NOT agree with). China has been growing very, very quickly in the last 50 or 60 years and they have cut some corners to compete by doing horrible things, just like the US, UK, etc. did as they grew (only they did it for a LOT longer).

I clearly stated that I think what's happening in China is horrible and inexcusable, by no means am I "ok" with it, but I'll maintain that without the people in fucking charge of big money and lawmaking doing anything about it, whichever corporation you buy shoes from (they're ALL fucking someone up in some way or another) makes little to no difference other than helping you get some sleep at night. And to really drive it home, I'll have you know I've switched to NB# for this very reason!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:03:09 PM by Urtripping »

Croquet temper

« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2021, 06:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Nike knows all of this and does not give a shit, and who would risk What’s likely their biggest paycheck right now during a pandemic by accusing them of being modern day slave drivers.
[close]

Hopefully the type of people who claim to give a shit

Expand Quote
This type of shit is more the rule than the exception
[close]

This is the point I'm trying to make. People acting like China is some horrible villain tend to forget every major power haas done this or something equally horrific at one point or another.

Quote from: assplay jay
Expand Quote
[close]

You either didn't read my post (or any others I've posted on this thread, for that matter) or you didn't understand it. Either way, to sum it up my argument is that the folks acting like China is specifically horrible for this should keep in mind that the US has done this and other major developed nations did it too. When criticizing them, it is important to remember this to stay off the imaginary moral high ground Americans use to talk down about China.

I also tried to explain that historically, capitalism has created the conditions for slavery to happen as countries grow, often legally (which, to be as transparent as I could possibly be, I do NOT agree with). China has been growing very, very quickly in the last 50 or 60 years and they have cut some corners to compete by doing horrible things, just like the US, UK, etc. did as they grew (only they did it for a LOT longer).

I clearly stated that I think what's happening in China is horrible and inexcusable, by no means am I "ok" with it, but I'll maintain that without the people in fucking charge of big money and lawmaking doing anything about it, whichever corporation you buy shoes from (they're ALL fucking someone up in some way or another) makes little to no difference other than helping you get some sleep at night. And to really drive it home, I'll have you know I've switched to NB# for this very reason!

When a country is positioning itself for global hegemony and they are totally cool with practicing slavery in 2021, it's not a bad thing to recognize it as fucked up and repugnant. The implications aren't good.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: January 24, 2021, 06:18:47 PM »
Quote from: Croquet temper
When a country is positioning itself for global hegemony and they are totally cool with practicing slavery in 2021, it's not a bad thing to recognize it as fucked up and repugnant. The implications aren't good.

Show me where I even hinted at the idea that I don't think it's fucked up and I'll understand why you posted this reply.

I can recognize it's fucked up and also recognize that it's the way of the world (that I wish I could change by not buying certain shoes, if only it were that easy). I hope you can see that we're angry at the same thing.

Edit: I think the difference between you and I is that you seem really scared of China and seem to believe that if they do ever surpass the US as an economic power, their moral inferiority will result in the world being enslaved. And that's a YOU problem, my friend.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:37:52 PM by Urtripping »

mushroom slice

« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2021, 06:43:58 PM »
Are any of you typing this all from an iPhone? Cuz if you are I got some bad news for you.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2021, 06:57:14 PM »
Are any of you typing this all from an iPhone? Cuz if you are I got some bad news for you.

See page 5. Also, I'm typing this on a Samsung that is also undoubtedly tied to labor or human rights violations somewhere down the line.

Has to be the 100th time it's been said, but we simply don't live in a world where it's possible to be a citizen in the US (or any other modernized country) and live 100% free of any ties to horrors committed around the world. Those horrors bring you what's on your feet or in your hands, and there's really no practical way to escape it completely, yet we still have a right to be vocal about this. It is not necessary to go build a cabin and live off the land to have an opinion here.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2021, 07:42:33 PM »
i'm on the trader joes macaroni phone 6 it's made of kale and pasta and has free range bugs for a cpu

assplay jay

« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

See page 5. Also, I'm typing this on a Samsung that is also undoubtedly tied to labor or human rights violations somewhere down the line.

Has to be the 100th time it's been said, but we simply don't live in a world where it's possible to be a citizen in the US (or any other modernized country) and live 100% free of any ties to horrors committed around the world. Those horrors bring you what's on your feet or in your hands, and there's really no practical way to escape it completely, yet we still have a right to be vocal about this. It is not necessary to go build a cabin and live off the land to have an opinion here.
there is a way around it. don't buy it. if you're serious about being 'anti slavery' don't buy nestle, diamonds, computers/phones or sneakers. you can prolly buy some of it second hand. oh, too inconvenient? cool, you're a piece of shit like the rest of us. that's fine, it's easier to buy slave made shit than research a purchase just don't virtue signal. 200 yrs ago you'd be wearing a cotton blouse made of slave picked cotton. and going 'oh, we're in America we can't pick our own cotton. this sucks'.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2021, 08:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
there is a way around it. don't buy it. if you're serious about being 'anti slavery' don't buy nestle, diamonds, computers/phones or sneakers. you can prolly buy some of it second hand. oh, too inconvenient? cool, you're a piece of shit like the rest of us. that's fine, it's easier to buy slave made shit than research a purchase just don't virtue signal. 200 yrs ago you'd be wearing a cotton blouse made of slave picked cotton. and going 'oh, we're in America we can't pick our own cotton. this sucks'.

Yo unless you typed that out on the
trader joes macaroni phone 6 it's made of kale and pasta and has free range bugs for a cpu
I don't wanna hear it

assplay jay

« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2021, 09:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

how do you feel about ICE
ICE? they're surprisingly Mexican. that's my first take away [they pull you over in NM headed west or east of El Paso going the other way]. they're more white up around the Canada border. they're doing a necessary job and they stop a lot of child trafficking, stop a lot of drugs. it's inconvenient when they hassle me 'are you American?' but our whole country would be cartel beheading videos w/out them.
sometimes they capture an 'innocent illegal' who's just here to work. i've seen em get yanked off the bus. but they did sneak in, that's kinda the rules. but they get a bum rap, 3rd world is gnarly and you can't just not have a border. hope i answered your question.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2021, 10:06:57 PM »
Cool another cop stan
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Croquet temper

« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2021, 12:00:46 AM »
Quote from: Croquet temper
Expand Quote
[close]

Show me where I even hinted at the idea that I don't think it's fucked up and I'll understand why you posted this reply.

I can recognize it's fucked up and also recognize that it's the way of the world (that I wish I could change by not buying certain shoes, if only it were that easy). I hope you can see that we're angry at the same thing.

Edit: I think the difference between you and I is that you seem really scared of China and seem to believe that if they do ever surpass the US as an economic power, their moral inferiority will result in the world being enslaved. And that's a YOU problem, my friend.

Nah, they fucking suck. Talk to someone that works for the State Department and you will run out of reasons to simp for China real quick.