Author Topic: Clear Coat/Lacquering Boards  (Read 1333 times)

Chakra Lord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Clear Coat/Lacquering Boards
« on: October 25, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »
I am going to be hand painting some decks. Does anyone know what the most-agreed-on-best-option for clear coating the boards are after they're painted is?

I am worried that if I choose the wrong product to clear coat the boards, they won't slide well. The graphic scratching off is not my concern, I just don't think raw spray paint on the bottom of the board will slide well without the proper coating over it.

Is spraying it on in one coat enough? I dont want to get caught up with something too time consuming so a sprayable option is crucial.

Please only share options that you know for a fact are going to work without sacrificing slickness for slide tricks.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Clear Coat/Lacquering Boards
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:54 PM »
same shit u use for curbs

Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
I am going to be hand painting some decks. Does anyone know what the most-agreed-on-best-option for clear coating the boards are after they're painted is?

I am worried that if I choose the wrong product to clear coat the boards, they won't slide well. The graphic scratching off is not my concern, I just don't think raw spray paint on the bottom of the board will slide well without the proper coating over it.

Is spraying it on in one coat enough? I dont want to get caught up with something too time consuming so a sprayable option is crucial.

Please only share options that you know for a fact are going to work without sacrificing slickness for slide tricks.

I've always liked using Rustoleum Specialty Lacquer (found at local hardware store or Lowes), but it can cause problems if sprayed over a heat transfer. Sometimes the transfer crackles pretty bad as a reaction to the solvents. But if you are spraying over a blank board, spray painted board, or a screen-print even, it should be good. Just spray a light couple coats at first with time between, and then one final more "wet" coat after a bit.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Chakra Lord

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 07:23:18 AM »
same shit u use for curbs

How you know what I use for curbs?

I've always liked using Rustoleum Specialty Lacquer (found at local hardware store or Lowes), but it can cause problems if sprayed over a heat transfer. Sometimes the transfer crackles pretty bad as a reaction to the solvents. But if you are spraying over a blank board, spray painted board, or a screen-print even, it should be good. Just spray a light couple coats at first with time between, and then one final more "wet" coat after a bit.

Word. Thank you. That's what my instinct was saying to use. Seems straight forward. I'm getting the boards in January and figured its best to hear what some other people have to say before jumping right in and potentially fucking a bunch of boards up.

WorkinHardHardware

• Rep: 12
    • Workin' Hard Hardware Etsy Shop avatar image
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 04:24:40 AM »
I use deft brushing lacquer. Works great for me and is more economically and environmentally friendly than spray lacquer (if that's even relevant as lacquer isn't great for the environment in general). But dries quick and no sanding in between and really highlights the wood grain. Polyurethane is a more durable topcoat but a little more finicky to work with (also available in water-based for low fumes and easy clean up). Either way the board is going to get skated and beat up anyways so either way you'll be ok, just depends on preference.