Author Topic: Doing Tricks Fast  (Read 3320 times)

toyo980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Doing Tricks Fast
« on: July 14, 2020, 01:42:28 AM »
What are good ways to approach doing tricks while going really fast I tend to put a lot of pressure on my back foot while doing ollies so I tend to wobble due to my weight being on the back.

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
Re: Doing Tricks Fast
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:14:57 PM »
Respect if you're skating to the point where you get death wobbles. I certainly do  :)

a few things I always do:

-when approaching ledges/obstacles, don't look down before you pop your tricks. and just ollie straight on with eye contact to the ledge, what this achieves is: less freakout because you don't see your board deathwobbling. Creates the illusion that you're more stable, because you don't actually see how badly the board shakes.

- make a habit of always being ollie ready, and because you're going soo fast. After the first obstacle, you'll reach the next one alot earlier than you think. You'll eat shit if you don't prepare foot placement. Speaking from experience here.

- get bigger wheels.

Hope this helps mate. I was just feeling generous with tips.

ClayH

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 12:26:12 AM »
For me, personally, I just find that skating often helps me go faster. Being more comfortable on my board gives me the confidence to go fast. If you're newer to skating, going faster might be a bit scarier/ unfamiliar, so you've kinda just gotta do it. Also worth noting that you're generally less likely to get hurt when you're going faster because your momentum will usually carry you out of your fall.

Brguy

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 11:44:14 PM »
I tend to put a lot of pressure on my back foot
Probably stop doing that. I mean put the pressure you need, but just that, if you get wobbles when you're going to ollie it means you are basically just throwing yourself out of balance for no reason, before the ollie is the moment where you have the most balance, in my opinion.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »
I would think that I did use to skate with a fair amount of speed.
I would:

- Skate small wheels and push a lot. It would be easy to push a lot approaching a trick and landing with a lot of speed. Small wheels would make the board less "alive" and much easy to keep balance on landing.

- Develope a good technique for falling. Something like rolling over your shoulder or land and glide on big muscles like the biceps.

- Spending a lot of time just doing basic tricks at high speed, developing board control.

- Eat shit whenever necessary

If you get speed wobbles on you back truck, you shouldn't mind maybe just tightening that one, leaving the front truck still loose. Deawon does so as far as I remember.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 07:30:54 PM »

If you get speed wobbles on you back truck, you shouldn't mind maybe just tightening that one, leaving the front truck still loose. Deawon does so as far as I remember.

Agreed, it's not a competition to see who has looser trucks at the park.

I suck at skating fast but I think fundamentals play a huge part; going fast means you aren't going to be able to look down at your board as you approach the obstacle, your eyes are going to be looking at or ahead of the obstacle. Your fundamentals have to be good enough to control your pop, flick and turn so you don't overshoot your tricks and eat shit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

NoHopeNoHarm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 11:49:10 AM »
What are good ways to approach doing tricks while going really fast I tend to put a lot of pressure on my back foot while doing ollies so I tend to wobble due to my weight being on the back.

Yeah I tend to do this too -- when attempting to skate fast and out of my comfort zone speed i was making the mistake of leaning too far back, i guess out of fear or whatever. Just remember to distribute your weight evenly or however you do normally at more comfortable speeds. I often find that when im not landing something that's slightly scary or intimidating all i have to do is put more weight on my front foot on the approach and load up and it solves the problem.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 01:39:42 PM »
1. Enter LA Massacre
2. Ollie while going downhill
3. Get stunt pay boost for slam

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
1. Enter LA Massacre
2. Ollie while going downhill
3. Get stunt pay boost for slam

Holmes
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

animalflesh

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:37 PM »
Doing Ollie’s during a hill bomb is one of the best feelings in skateboarding

One thing that helps is skating fast across a bunch of parking spots and trying to pop little tail scrapers at as many parking lines as you can

Eventually you get lighter on your feet and get the timing down better

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 02:43:40 PM »
Don’t be a poosey

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
Roll more on bigger hills. Do like tail scrapes over cracks.
Skate more think less.

After a few good hills focus on Manhole Covers. Every time you see one scrape over it. Don't worry about pop. Just lift arms pull the tape up to a curled foot and scktttt!!!!! On yer tail.

Think dead weight too. Get low and land heavily on the front bolts if you're rattle riding.

Be like a glorious hood ornament making a wake through the wind. Lead your board dont follow it.

Fast is everything. Get big wheels maybe a harder bottom bushing?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:56 PM »
Develop a little mantra a little word string you repeat to yourself, focus on it. The content may differ by trick but having a few can calm you down

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 05:14:58 PM »
Basics first ollie at Mach speed, and learn to keep it under you.
Dueces Bitch's

Brguy

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 12:09:02 AM »
That made me realize I have to train ollieing stuff on top speed, where I skate there's not space enough for this, so I mostly don't do it.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 05:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That made me realize I have to train ollieing stuff on top speed, where I skate there's not space enough for this, so I mostly don't do it.

What? What do you mean. Like dirt roads are you in mouse maze?

Why do people say this.

Run while dragging your tail so it goes RRRRR RIP PPP
and jump on that fucker.

You best have an excuse for "I don't have enough room to go fast" shit
(A)pl(E)

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What I mean is doesn't matter if on a hill or in a parking lot just go fast and try to have that board squared under you...        As someone else said it helps with board control and sizing up the objects you are trying to get up on.  I have skated a quarter of my life probably more just working on my basics and I still going back them whenever I get tired of flip tricks, hell Chris Pfanner and other dudes who rip bust huge 180 at fast speeds. Sure you might get some flame over a huge tre flip but people respect a smooth as fuck 180 backside or frontside.
Dueces Bitch's

Brguy

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
What I mean is doesn't matter if on a hill or in a parking lot just go fast and try to have that board squared under you...        As someone else said it helps with board control and sizing up the objects you are trying to get up on.  I have skated a quarter of my life probably more just working on my basics and I still going back them whenever I get tired of flip tricks, hell Chris Pfanner and other dudes who rip bust huge 180 at fast speeds. Sure you might get some flame over a huge tre flip but people respect a smooth as fuck 180 backside or frontside.
Yeah, sure, but it's good to do it over stuff too, will be a great help when you want to do rails or ledges fast, cause you trained the speed and the pop.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 05:56:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Yeah, sure, but it's good to do it over stuff too, will be a great help when you want to do rails or ledges fast, cause you trained the speed and the pop.
Absolutely is a great idea too I learned that early on as I would just do medium gaps with my brother in to grass rides over the rail and see if I could match his power he always had speed and power I had pop when skating, he quit like a bitch.
Dueces Bitch's

Brguy

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2020, 03:53:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why do people say this.

and jump on that fucker.

You do realize that there are tons of places to skate, right? I'm usually not in some plain open area where I can toss my board extra fast and ollie something before something getting in my way. I actually got to do something like that two days ago, but it isn't a spot I go on a daily basis, that shit's far.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why do people say this.

and jump on that fucker.

[close]
You do realize that there are tons of places to skate, right? I'm usually not in some plain open area where I can toss my board extra fast and ollie something before something getting in my way. I actually got to do something like that two days ago, but it isn't a spot I go on a daily basis, that shit's far.

I don't want to be seem mean but everything is a spot to me more or less. I feel my best skateboarding always happens in between spots.

Every second your on a paved area is an opportunity to run and throw down pop a trick?

Tricks are overrated honestly.

Board time is everything.

The only time I walk is when I'm out of energy.
(A)pl(E)

Brguy

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 04:23:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why do people say this.

and jump on that fucker.

[close]
[close]

I don't want to be seem mean but everything is a spot to me more or less. I feel my best skateboarding always happens in between spots.

Every second your on a paved area is an opportunity to run and throw down pop a trick?

You're missing completely the point. I'm not talking about cruising around, I'm talking about going to a spot and jumping over something going really fast, like Tyshawn is always doing with the trash cans. Plus, not everybody lives in California, not every street is skateable.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »
glide on big muscles like the biceps.

WHAT

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 06:57:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why do people say this.

and jump on that fucker.

[close]
[close]

You're not making any sense.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why do people say this.

and jump on that fucker.

[close]
[close]

[close]
You're missing completely the point. I'm not talking about cruising around, I'm talking about going to a spot and jumping over something going really fast, like Tyshawn is always doing with the trash cans. Plus, not everybody lives in California, not every street is skateable.

Yep
(A)pl(E)

FalseTestimonial

• Rep: 0
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 11:45:56 AM »
I honestly dont know how people can even do tricks at a running start, how do you set your feet up so fast.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2020, 10:18:35 AM »
I honestly dont know how people can even do tricks at a running start, how do you set your feet up so fast.
I think it all boils down to your time spent on the board and progressively getting more accustomed to popping tricks at normally uncomfortable speeds.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2022, 11:21:01 AM »
I know that I skate slow. I saw evidence (I was filmed from afar, unbeknownst to me). Brutal.

I skate so slow that none of it counts.

From reading this, the best advice was skate fast, often, for transportation.

I like to make everything about gear, that’s a lazy move on my part. I’m going to need some bigger wheels, riser pads if I want to skate the streets (the pavement is very old). If anyone has recommendations I’ll take em.