Author Topic: RIP Sean Motaghedi  (Read 8648 times)

poopnutsupreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
RIP Sean Motaghedi
« on: July 14, 2020, 07:49:29 AM »
Took the original down in respect to the family but putting it back up as loved ones are comfortable to share more. Please check on your friends and family especially during this time. Depression and mental illnesses in general have taken way too many talented people.

Seattle skateboarder who was involved in the scene and friends with pretty much anyone who skates in the area. He managed North End Skate Shop (RIP) and put out the North End video. Easily the nicest person you could ever meet. He'll be missed by many, condolences to friends and family.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCn-VFJlkCr/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCnEi8shsE0/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_D-7fsFDLN/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Pw1AhlX3U/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I7zK1Vho14

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:10:07 AM by poopnutsupreme »
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

michael scarn

Re: RIP Sean Motaghedi
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 08:42:29 AM »
I didn't know Sean. But I remember meeting him in Tacoma one time and he was so nice and basically the complete opposite of skaters I knew at the time. Seemed like a really good dude. This really sucks, to say the least.

bo bice

• Rep: 76
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »
Tell your friends you love them. R.I.P. dude

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 09:23:47 AM »
Sean used to come into the skateshop I worked at probably twenty years ago (he ended up working there as well after I had left). He was the dude you always got stoked to see when you rolled up to the skatespot/skatepark. He was pivotal in the Seattle skate scene and this news broke a lot of hearts. He will never be forgotten.

RIP Sean. Hope you have peace.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:13:58 AM by Yushin Okami »
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

dinosaurjr

• Rep: 15
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
Didn't know the man but seems like he was a pillar in the PNW scene. This hits hard, we are all one big family. Seems like there's been a lot depression related suicide, can't name them all but it's been a tough year or two. Can't say for sure but the political and social climate seem to be adding an additional layer to this issue, I know it sure has me stressing more than ever.

Look after your friends. We always say "reach out if you are struggling" to each other during these times but most won't, you have to look for the signs and monitor your friends and their wellbeing. Tell your friends you love them and be there for them when you can!

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 09:55:21 AM »
One of the best to ever do it - skateboarding and life.  I met him when he was 12, a few years younger than me, and he was already a huge skate nerd - you knew he was going to be a big part of the scene.  But I didn't know just how big - he really became the face of greater Seattle skateboarding in many ways and we were the better for it.  A truly good person, down to the core.  He will be greatly missed.

Skateboarding and depression are tragically intertwined.  Many of us know the weight.  It's heartbreaking when it gets to be too much for someone.  I hope he has found peace. 

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
RIP

I admire his pop
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:14:00 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

QUSH

• Rep: -32
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
wow this really sucks. he was a really rad dude. so fucking nice.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »
Jeez, I feel awful for his friends & family. Mental health is one of those issues that's seldom addressed properly, and quite frankly the industry around it is predicated on taking shots in the dark & getting lucky less than a third of the time. There’s still so much that they don’t know, it’s a trial by error scenario that I know well first hand. RIP Sean, you had a hell of an enviable flick on your kickflips.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
YOU ARE SO LOVED SEAN
miss you

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »
As a fellow Sean Mo... this hits even closer to home. Never heard of this guy until just now but can already tell he was awesome. Condolences to all his friends and family.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

RAWR

• Rep: 4
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »
Best kickflip.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - 1-800-273-8255

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »
Looked up to him growing up in the PNW. Didn't know him too well but would see him at the park from time to time - always friendly and a great skateboarder. Heck of a kickflip. A genuinely nice person. Know he lurked on here too. RIP Smotag.

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »
Love you Sean. Always had great conversations with him when he worked at Northend. Stand up dude. I always loved his YouTube channel. So many great edits.

https://youtu.be/HOyrAt8g1W4
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 12:45:37 AM by CAPTAIN NOBODY »

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 11:33:37 AM »
Had the pleasure to meet him a few times at a few different video premiers. Dude was the best. Seattle is taking a hit from this one, we lost a good one way early. Nothing but love for him and his wife and family.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 03:09:49 PM »
Saying that he was the best is an understatement. Can't even begin express my love for him.
Started an insta @kickflipsforsmotag in honor of him. We've been reaching out to his favorite skaters and getting them to do kickflips for him. (kickflips were his favorite trick) We just got an extra special one, thank you HK
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCt89MdH5xd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
We'll have shirts soon, and of course 100% of the proceeds will go to a foundation (most likely Ben Raemers Foundation).
Everyone please reach out to all of your friends and tell them you love them, as well as having a meaningful conversation with them. Even the ones that look the happiest, cause that was Sean. Sneaky bastard :'(

PS Sean was a longtime lurker here. Gonna miss talking to him about truck madness and stupid Slap gossip.

RIP to a legend and to one of my best friends.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 08:34:51 PM »
Never met him, but all of the posts I've come across on social media have been really touching. He clearly was an amazing person and important figure and leader in the local skateboard community. He also obviously has some really great friends to create that account on his behalf and contact all of those pro skaters to do the trick he was most recognized for. Awesome way to honor his memory and celebrate his life.

That's really cool Thrasher made a post in dedication to him as well.

On a lighter note, love the sig notmikerusczyk. Hope you and your buds are doing ok.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 10:08:33 PM »
Never met him, but all of the posts I've come across on social media have been really touching. He clearly was an amazing person and important figure and leader in the local skateboard community. He also obviously has some really great friends to create that account on his behalf and contact all of those pro skaters to do the trick he was most recognized for. Awesome way to honor his memory and celebrate his life.

On a lighter note, love the sig notmikerusczyk. Hope you and your buds are doing ok.
One of the only positives of the situation is that it's brought everyone so much closer, and so many great conversations are being had. Have had great conversations about mental health with the people I'd least expect to talk about it with. Wish he was able to see all of his favorites doing kickflips for him. He would have fanned out on the Heath one.
Don't know Joey personally but I think he's criminally underrated. Are you an Atlas dude?

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
One of the only positives of the situation is that it's brought everyone so much closer, and so many great conversations are being had. Have had great conversations about mental health with the people I'd least expect to talk about it with. Wish he was able to see all of his favorites doing kickflips for him. He would have fanned out on the Heath one.
Don't know Joey personally but I think he's criminally underrated. Are you an Atlas dude?

I'm not an Atlas dude (I actually live in the midwest), but I do know most of those guys well. Joey is a really great person as well as amazing on a skateboard. Nothing but good things to say about that dude.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2020, 03:11:46 PM »
Tell your friends you love them. R.I.P. dude

Can’t be said enough.  One of the most creative skaters around, RIP

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
Very sad, condolences to friends and family.

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »
Don’t mean to post twice but love this edit. Smotag forever

https://youtu.be/E6JU4CW8F-o

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 12:06:48 AM »
This edit was heavy to watch but Shane did an amazing job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POb-GpxQFzw
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Meekin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:27 PM »
That edit was beautiful. RIP.
There was an interview with TK, when he was a plumber. He got asked if he gets recognized on the job and his response was "No. Plumbin in disguise." Everyone on SLAP thought he said "put him in the sky"

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 12:16:00 PM »
Go fund me to support Sean’s wife Ariel: https://gf.me/u/ym28qz

ride the tiger

• Rep: -18
  • Are you telling me a shrimp fried this rice?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 04:28:19 AM »
RIP

.از صمیم قلب تسلیت می گم

My unpopular opinion is that this forum is actually not about skateboarding.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 10:08:41 AM »

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »
Great kickflip and great mustache - two things I one day hope to have. I only hope I will touch as many as he did. RIP.

To anyone reading this who may be going through it - you are not alone.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

e.d.

• Rep: 63
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2020, 01:01:36 PM »
Noticed this wasn't posted here, so I figured I'd add it to the thread.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/rip-in-peace-sean-motaghedi/

Still thinking about this a lot - Sean was a great person, and a friend to me when I didn't have many.

R.I.P.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »
Noticed this wasn't posted here, so I figured I'd add it to the thread.

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/rip-in-peace-sean-motaghedi/

Still thinking about this a lot - Sean was a great person, and a friend to me when I didn't have many.

R.I.P.

Dang, I hadn't seen that. Thanks for posting. RIP.