Author Topic: Portland  (Read 4837 times)

Silky Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
Portland
« on: July 16, 2020, 10:30:33 AM »
Gonna be visiting Portland this weekend, can't skate due to a bum foot but any recommendations of shops,  food spots or attractions to hit up would be greatly appreciated. 

drewdc

• Rep: -85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Portland
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:48:06 AM »
Its still pretty shut down around here , not much open .

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »
Gonna be visiting Portland this weekend, can't skate due to a bum foot but any recommendations of shops,  food spots or attractions to hit up would be greatly appreciated.

Nice Avatar. Word on the street and elevation are the best tracks on there imo

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 12:19:13 PM »
Its still pretty shut down around here , not much open .
Bummer, you think parks and hiking trails would be chill?

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice Avatar. Word on the street and elevation are the best tracks on there imo
With the addition of "Longevity" i fully agree.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 12:56:46 PM »
I’m not sure if they’re open currently cause there’s a stripper strike going on , but you should check out the drive-thru strip club that Lucky Devil Lounge concocted after covid made everything shut down

drewdc

• Rep: -85
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
Glenhaven is being skated , Burnside was empty the other day, restaurants are limited with no dine in . Food carts can be found

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »
Some shops are open but you'll have to poke around and see for yourself. Some restaurants are doing the outside dining thing. Hike in forest park if you're set on staying in the city. Multnomah Falls is closed. Don't go downtown during the protests as the feds are here wrangling up any and everybody without question. Please wear a fucking mask if out in public.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »
Get down to the Justice Center after dark and see the Federal Cops smashing 1st Amendment rights.

slippy

• Rep: 83
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 08:53:49 AM »
Crazy time to visit but there's stuff to do.  Check out trail of ten falls hike, it's a loop and super beautiful:

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Trail_of_Ten_Falls_Loop_Hike

Some restaurants are open with limited seating but my recommendation is to get some take out, head to cathedral park and hang.  If you're able with the vehicle rent a kayak if there are any available.  Mask up, be safe, and have a good time!
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 09:15:38 AM »
Appreciate the responses. Regardless of it not being ideal times to explore a new city I'm stoked to see some new sceanary. Haven't left California in years. 

Frank and Fred

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
Hey, in all sincerity this is still a great place to visit. Get to the Colombia River Gorge. Get to the Coast. You're stoked if you like good coffee, beer.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
If you really want to get your ass kicked by a hike, go out to the Zig Zag ranger station and hike Hunchback.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 11:50:52 PM »
Where in town are you staying? Maybe shoot me a pm, and I can give you some good options.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 09:18:34 PM »
All the skateparks are open and being sessioned and so are more state parks at this point. Be cool, try to avoid crowded zones (easier said than done).

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
Can anyone recommend me some cool Portland Instagram accounts/blogs/youtube channels etc? I am in SF and would love to see more Portland skating.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 09:43:09 AM »
Can anyone recommend me some cool Portland Instagram accounts/blogs/youtube channels etc? I am in SF and would love to see more Portland skating.

Chris Varcadipane moved to LA but has lots of Portland clips, including dropping a video called Farewell before moving

Adam Robo aka @Goombaslayer is another filmer who just dropped Mint Condition with a mix of footage from PDX and ATL. He films Austin Thongvivong a lot, and a few of the other Portland up and comers

Jon Colyer @jontallyer just dropped Sanitizer and is currently offering digital downloads for five bucks

Lots of footage from The Killing Floor is filmed in Portland

Tyler Bledsoe, Silas Baxter Neal, Dane Brady, Sebo Walker, Brent Atchley, Willis Kimbel, David Gravette, the list goes on

Frank and Fred

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
Tiger Mountain Slappy. If you want the curb spots- this dude is dialed in.

seamoose

• Rep: 12
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
agreed

Tiger Mountain Slappy. If you want the curb spots- this dude is dialed in.

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 01:13:24 PM »
Any pals want to skate street some time? I'm always nursing some chronic injury and definitely not the best because of it, but if anyones trying to hit the streets I'd be super appreciative! I moved here not too long before the start of the pandemic and still haven't really met many people. 

goo goo goo joob

• Rep: 40
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 02:44:34 PM »
Any pals want to skate street some time? I'm always nursing some chronic injury and definitely not the best because of it, but if anyones trying to hit the streets I'd be super appreciative! I moved here not too long before the start of the pandemic and still haven't really met many people.

Hey Gnarwhal, a good place to go and possibly meet people is the PSU (Portland State University) courts. It's a lil' DIY junk jam type place.

Expand Quote
[close]

Chris Varcadipane moved to LA but has lots of Portland clips, including dropping a video called Farewell before moving

Adam Robo aka @Goombaslayer is another filmer who just dropped Mint Condition with a mix of footage from PDX and ATL. He films Austin Thongvivong a lot, and a few of the other Portland up and comers

Jon Colyer @jontallyer just dropped Sanitizer and is currently offering digital downloads for five bucks

Lots of footage from The Killing Floor is filmed in Portland

Tyler Bledsoe, Silas Baxter Neal, Dane Brady, Sebo Walker, Brent Atchley, Willis Kimbel, David Gravette, the list goes on

Also, RE: IG accounts, my buddy @ _upperdecker is a good one. He's an actual Portland native and he's working on the Cal's Pharmacy vid right now. His page is full of Portland street skating

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2022, 10:55:06 PM »
What is the best shop out here?

I went to Shrunken Head the other day and the dude working there seemed cool, but their selection was a bit limited. I'm trying to avoid Tactics (nothing against them, but they just seem like a megastore rather than a shop, maybe I'm wrong?).

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2022, 10:58:20 PM »
Cal Skate.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2022, 10:02:49 AM »
I second Cal Skate for selection and history (oldest skate shop on the planet)

But I try to support Shrunk and Cal's Pharmacy just as much.

I live close to Smart Collective and from the looks of their Insta they have a good selection but I have never been.

No need to go to Tactics at all.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2022, 04:28:39 PM »
What is the best shop out here?

I went to Shrunken Head the other day and the dude working there seemed cool, but their selection was a bit limited. I'm trying to avoid Tactics (nothing against them, but they just seem like a megastore rather than a shop, maybe I'm wrong?).

Tactics is legit, imo, but I’ve only been to the Eugene store. Everyone there was super cool.

Something I’ve mentioned here a few times before is that I have a friend who worked at a cool Portland shop I won’t name where he made minimum wage and got effectively no benefits. He left and went to CCS where his pay more than doubled, he got health and dental, paid time off, etc.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2022, 04:52:37 PM »
Yeah, can't fault your friend for seeking out benefits. I get it.

But Tactics (at least the physical Portland store) can take a flying fuck. They did not need to open a Portland shop just blocks from Cals. They have a massive online business (I heard second only to CCS). It was an unnecessary and kind of a kick in the pants to Portland shops that have been holding it down for decades.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2022, 10:57:58 AM »
I’ve had several friends work at ccs, and they didn’t have anything good to say about it.

Supporting shrunk, smart, commonwealth, cal skate, or pharmacy is the way to go.

If you need shoes, maybe Evo is the best choice? All those great core shops don’t have much for footwear.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2022, 11:17:36 AM »
Hang my head in shame but I actually went to CCS few weeks back and it was pretty damn kooky. I am far from an exclusive more core than thou-snob but the people working there that day were not my people.

I cleansed myself by getting some trucks from Kyle at Cal's Pharmacy and a hoodie from Nukes at Cal Skate. Next stop Shrunk.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2022, 12:37:41 PM »
I don’t understand how they all survive. There’s 12 places to buy a skateboard within a 20 minute drive if you include the outdoor stores and the mall, 5 of these places are walking distance of each other.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2022, 12:42:42 PM »
They all do slightly different things with a slightly different customer base. Lots of skaters in this town.