Author Topic: "Cancel Culture" a debate of censorship or newspeak?  (Read 1750 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: "Cancel Culture" a debate of censorship or newspeak?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
I wouldn’t have a problem with it if it wasn’t a bunch of people with their accounts set to “private” doing the canceling.
I see this with mostly ditto heads.

Consequence culture does sound like a more enlightened way of looking at this.

Most cancellations are some stupid ass “Omg he said something offensive on twitter in 2011” type of bullshit. 

If the person said that in 2011 and nine years later their views haven't changed or have gotten even worse, then by all means, that person needs to get it right or get gone.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
The current form of newspeak is when right wingers try to twist logic so that opposing racism = divide and conquer and "anti-white." Racism is a form of dividing and conquering people. And racism is an oppressive ideology, not a race of people.

It's also the way they use terms like "social justice" and "virtue signaling" as derogatory. In their view, pursuing justice and showing virtue are bad because it means challenging the status quo that they benefit from and so desperately want to maintain.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 01:33:28 PM »
+1^

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »
They live in bizarro world where they are the ones being persecuted. Actual facts are inherently liberal biased.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »
The current form of newspeak is when right wingers try to twist logic so that opposing racism = divide and conquer and "anti-white." Racism is a form of dividing and conquering people. And racism is an oppressive ideology, not a race of people.

It's also the way they use terms like "social justice" and "virtue signaling" as derogatory. In their view, pursuing justice and showing virtue are bad because it means challenging the status quo that they benefit from and so desperately want to maintain.
Absolutely agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly, it undermines the initial cause that one has an issue with....
Dueces Bitch's

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »
what about shit sayings like 'better the devil you know' or 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'
just plays on fear of the unknown
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:08:12 AM by Wheelbyte »