Author Topic: Skateparks during pandemic?  (Read 2383 times)

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
Skateparks during pandemic?
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:13:34 PM »
Curious to see what's the opinion on going to skateparks/spots during covid-19. From what I've seen, some of my friends who I know for a fact live with their older parents are still going to skateparks and hanging out with people without wearing masks. I've been avoiding parks and skating this empty lot with slappy curbs and some knee-high blocks but I'm starting to get a real bad craving to skate my local even though i know for a fact people aren't doing anything to avoid the rona...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:29:24 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: Skateparks during pandemic?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 10:20:34 PM »
I think solo street skating is the better option. However if you keep your social distance in a park, that's okay with me.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 11:06:07 PM »
I live across the street from a million dollar skatepark and I haven’t skated there since the California safer at home order. I don’t want to skate in a small space with people that I don’t know. You can’t truly trust someone else to wash their hands and stay inside when they’ve been exposed to the virus. I’m not about to hop a fence in the same spot where countless other people have done the same thing. It’s too risky for me personally
fuck you bama

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 12:00:51 AM »
An expected answer, but it does depend.
Depends on the park, can you skate there when no one else is there? Mornings/nights, for example. Is it a small space or a big space? Can you socially distance from others while skating there? At my local, you kind of can, so I go there when no one is there and then if it fills up, I dip usually.
Otherwise, it's cruising the neighborhood or random empty parking lot sessions.
Super Champion Fun Zone

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 12:11:20 AM »
I live across the street from a million dollar skatepark and I haven’t skated there since the California safer at home order. I don’t want to skate in a small space with people that I don’t know. You can’t truly trust someone else to wash their hands and stay inside when they’ve been exposed to the virus. I’m not about to hop a fence in the same spot where countless other people have done the same thing. It’s too risky for me personally

I agree I don't really trust anyone especially skaters to be following CDC guidelines. It's just really burnt to see posts on Instagram of people skating parks maskless and not giving a shit while I'm out here skating flat. You're right though, it's best to avoid it until everything gets under control.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:03:39 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 12:15:44 AM »
An expected answer, but it does depend.
Depends on the park, can you skate there when no one else is there? Mornings/nights, for example. Is it a small space or a big space? Can you socially distance from others while skating there? At my local, you kind of can, so I go there when no one is there and then if it fills up, I dip usually.
Otherwise, it's cruising the neighborhood or random empty parking lot sessions.

I haven't tried, I usually skate nights but its still kinda sus since theres always a few people there and it varies. These people don't wear masks either. I might try to check it out some time at night to see if social distancing is viable. I think mornings are probably the move before it gets hot, but I almost got mugged once at my local in the morning so I would prefer not to go.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 01:30:43 PM »
All about the early am before more than 10 people are there

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 11:31:17 AM »
Early morning for Parks, like I’m there at 630-7am till people start showing up. Streets at night. Not lucky enough to have a 24/7 lighted park like Louisville or Bradenton

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 07:31:43 PM »
All about the early am before more than 10 people are there

Yup, 730am weekend sessions for me too. It's cooler and zero crowds, but the lack of people leads to lots of pigeons who shit all over the park. Hand sanitizer and wet wipes after the session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
Cali’s so nice for this.  So many parks, you can almost always find an empty one.  Or two.  Or three.  That’s not even looking for spots yet

goatgoochcheese

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 03:55:42 AM »
There's a new skatepark that opened near me during this COVID shit and I've been avoiding it heavily. It's indoors and fairly small and there's usually like 30-50 people there, none of which wear masks or social distance. No thank you.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 05:53:55 AM »
The minute people start coming, I am out of there. That is if I go to begin with. One thing that has been helpful during all of this is I have a key to an indoor bowl which while it gets hot in there, late morning sessions and evening sessions are good and often, no one else shows up.

Goldeneggs

• Rep: -53
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »
It seems like every normal cold or influenza is being reclassified as this pandemic. I wonder if the bottom line number is the same sick or dead as an average year?

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 09:03:01 AM »
I've been going to my local again. If there's more than 10 people there I will usually bounce or not even get out of the car.

That being said, I was under the impression if you're outside and able to keep a safe distance from others, you don't need a mask. No one is skating with a mask at the skate park and I just try to keep 6ft distance from others.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »
I've stayed away...tho watching the Venice live feed daily has me jonesing.

Mask-less central.

PeterSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »
Im upset that so many parks got closed down.

On one side i want the people to stay healthy and at home. But on the other hand its pretty lame to skate alone. The whole culture is suffering under it.

But people do crazy things and mange to do cool things at home.

Thats what Im thinking...

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
I don't give a shit about corona. Even if i did evidence has shown that it doesn't survive long when in contact with the sun ( like at a skatepark ) and makes me question why they want us inside and away from the sun that actually kills the virus.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
I don't give a shit about corona. Even if i did evidence has shown that it doesn't survive long when in contact with the sun ( like at a skatepark ) and makes me question why they want us inside and away from the sun that actually kills the virus.

Don't have a source but I read that coronavirus particles can survive in the air around ~6 minutes. So if you're skating the same obstacle as someone else you may be breathing in some air they've exhaled. Odds of this increase if they are maskless.

They just want us inside because it's the easiest way to social distance. Empty spots are fair game though. It still really sucks though because skating skatepark obstacles is usually the best way to improve.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:36:00 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

SlapRhaters

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 11:53:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't have a source but I read that coronavirus particles can survive in the air around ~6 minutes. So if you're skating the same obstacle as someone else you may be breathing in some air they've exhaled. Odds of this increase if they are maskless.

They just want us inside because it's the easiest way to social distance. Empty spots are fair game though. It still really sucks though because for me skating skatepark obstacles is usually the best way to improve.
If a girl couldn't get me to wear a condom you know damn well there ain't no mask being worn haha.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 01:49:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

They just want us inside because it's the easiest way to social distance. Empty spots are fair game though. It still really sucks though because for me skating skatepark obstacles is usually the best way to improve.
[close]
If a girl couldn't get me to wear a condom you know damn well there ain't no mask being worn haha.

I don't get what's so funny about not wearing a mask since people are literally dying due to covid. It's literally just a piece of cloth to wear over your mouth, it's not that much effort and it helps stop the coronavirus from spreading. If 100% of people wore masks we would be able to significantly lower the number of coronavirus cases which in turn allows for a more relaxed shutdown state where people are not getting evicted due to unemployment and public spaces are deemed safe.

Your comment about not wearing a condom just goes to show that this is more of a matter of people being inconsiderate of one another which is exactly why the coronavirus has been so rampant. Because of this me/myself/I mentality, we are in 100+ days of shutdown when this shit could've been squashed in 15 days without people dying or losing their jobs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 02:04:26 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

SlapRhaters

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I don't get what's so funny about not wearing a mask since people are literally dying due to covid. It's literally just a piece of cloth to wear over your mouth, it's not that much effort and it helps stop the coronavirus from spreading. If 100% of people wore masks we would be able to significantly lower the number of coronavirus cases which in turn allows for a more relaxed shutdown state where people are not getting evicted due to unemployment and public spaces are deemed safe.

Your comment about not wearing a condom just goes to show that this is more of a matter of people being inconsiderate of one another which is exactly why the coronavirus has been so rampant. Because of this me/myself/I mentality, we are in 100+ days of shutdown when this shit could've been squashed in 15 days without people dying or losing their jobs.
I disagree, the first month pretty much everyone bought in, most people i know we're literally excited to stay inside and play xbox. It wasn't until " flattening the curve" turned into " stay inside and hide from people for the next 2 years while we find a cure" that people started saying fuck it. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 06:52:04 PM »

Couple of weeks old but HB is not much better:

I'll stick to my 7am sessions - I get to keep my shitty skateboarding away from prying eyes while avoiding crowds
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 01:47:34 AM »

I disagree, the first month pretty much everyone bought in, most people i know we're literally excited to stay inside and play xbox. It wasn't until " flattening the curve" turned into " stay inside and hide from people for the next 2 years while we find a cure" that people started saying fuck it.

Unfortunately, corona wasn't squashed because the US just did a half-ass shutdown. Borders/international travel remained open, politicians/media failed to promote proper ppe usage and instead downplayed the seriousness of the virus, etc. A case-study for a proper shutdown is New Zealand who at this point successfully eradicated coronavirus.
https://www.who.int/westernpacific/news/feature-stories/detail/new-zealand-takes-early-and-hard-action-to-tackle-covid-19

If the US wants to halt coronavirus, a shutdown of the same magnitude as New Zealand needs to be put in place.

I myself am sick of staying indoors and avoiding the skatepark hence why I made this thread. I have no qualms with people skating parks if 100% of skateboarders wear masks or properly social distance. But according to several accounts from slap users on this thread we can conclude that that's just not happening.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:03:54 AM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 08:24:26 AM »
I only skated a few street spots for the first 2 months but now I’m back at parks. I scram whenever it gets too crowded but being on the tail end of my skate life I don’t feel like I can waste a summer.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 04:30:23 PM »
I hate Huntington Beach.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »
I only skate parks once a week or so but they are always surprisingly crowded. Tons of parents with their scooter kids and people who look like they just started or restarted skating. Those reports about the current skateboarding boom seem accurate. Only one park I've been to had a parks person going around asking people to put on masks. Most people at the parks do not have masks on.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2020, 06:23:21 PM »
I hate Huntington Beach.
Rob brink once told me it was the jersey shore of Orange County hahaha..

Acky Jacky

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2020, 07:23:34 PM »
To be honest I kind of look at skateparks right now as being "skate at your own risk" regarding covid.

I live in NYC. Parks get crowded, skate or not, and I think generally people are feeling more joy and contentment being outside, and it seems to not be adversely affecting the public to a terrible degree.
I would skate with a mask on when, statistically, we were spiking a lot, but through the 90-100 degree heat it really isn't any fun to do that. I'd rather stay physically inactive, thus I skate without a mask as do 95 percent of the other people who are skating. I take my own measures to stay away from people but in a city like this it's nearly impossible.

I'll be singing another tune when I get hella sick, but as far as the great outdoors are concerned, I wear a mask in condensed public spaces where people may not consent to me being maskless, like a very crowded street or something like that. When I'm at the skatepark I just cant do it. Everyone signed their consent away when they step foot inside to skate, in my view.

If I lived with my parents or was in close contact with people who are statistically more susceptible to great harm, I'd be taking more precautions, but luckily for me that's not the case.

On a side note, I did get a free covid test here, and the results took 15 days to come back (negative). Its very hard to be responsible if you're asymptomatic considering the speed of the tests.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 07:30:18 PM by Acky Jacky »