Author Topic: Outdoor Mini Ramp Longevity - Amount Spent?  (Read 4532 times)

trash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Outdoor Mini Ramp Longevity - Amount Spent?
« on: July 21, 2020, 05:47:21 AM »
Question for anyone with an outdoor mini that DIY'd and had it last multiple years, how much did your build run?

I'm looking at doing a 3.5 ft high, 12 ft wide ramp. I know using Skatelite is best in terms of quality, but the extra $$ it adds is substantial. Has anyone used a more frugal alternative and been diligent with a tarp and have it work out?

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Re: Outdoor Mini Ramp Longevity - Amount Spent?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:03:01 AM »
Question for anyone with an outdoor mini that DIY'd and had it last multiple years, how much did your build run?

I'm looking at doing a 3.5 ft high, 12 ft wide ramp. I know using Skatelite is best in terms of quality, but the extra $$ it adds is substantial. Has anyone used a more frugal alternative and been diligent with a tarp and have it work out?

Moisture will still get under the tarp which will cause warping/ ruining the ramp over time. I guess it also depends on your location. Do you have heavy rains or snow at any time during the year?

source: my friend's mini ramp, RIP

trash

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:26:27 AM »
East coast, so yes to both.

SoftCarPrawn

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:10:43 AM »
If you can keep it shaded so it doesn’t get ridiculously hot, sheet metal works good.  Stays fast and you can remove it to replace the plywood sheets underneath it if need be.  At one point sheet metal was cheaper than wood was but I’m not sure of the pricing at the moment.  I believe a 12 or maybe 14 gauge sheet metal would be perfect for staying strong and not denting but also able to conform to the radius of the ramp without too much trouble.  A layer of lightly colored paint can help keep the heat down on it as well. 

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 01:30:42 PM »
Some friends in New York have one in their back yard. They use plywood, paint it, and replace the top layer each year. They've had it for about four years and it still skates well enough. They don't bother with a tarp. If you use pressure treated 2x4s, or even better, 2x6s, you can build something that will last a while without skatelite. Use concrete blocks to elevate it bit off the ground, that will help keep moisture out of the wood.

I will say that outdoor skatelite is probably one of the best surfaces I've ever skated. It's smooth and fast without being slippery, and it's better to fall on than concrete. If you can swing it, I think it's worth it.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 02:54:15 PM »
Being involved with just about any type of outdoor ramp/bowl, I recommend not too be concerned with how much money you spend on it. Save and be prepared to spend time and money. Look at it like its never finished, and be ready for maintenance. Top layer should be sustainable. Wether you go with skatelite, steel or  concrete, you need the riding surface to last. Concrete is probably the cheapest and will involve less maintenance, but a little more difficult to build. Skatelite last pretty long time (10+ years), same with well painted steel if taken care of. You will need to pull up those every few years to fix soft and water damaged plies. Take into factor the weather where you live, the exposure of the ramp to the elements and what you like to skate to determine what you end up building. Build it off the ground to allow air to flow under, slope the flat and the decks a bit to allow water to flow off, and try not to let water pool and sit on the flat, the decks and especially behind the coping.

Ive found tarp covering never works, you ended up forgetting, it blows off and becomes a major pain in the ass to deal with. From your measurements, Id budget at least $2500 to have a good, fun, long lasting ramp.  Good luck and post progress photos if you go for it.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmI5CUTFQ3Q

I started taking measurements in my backyard after watching this. I wonder how hard it would be to do?

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 07:32:25 AM »

I started taking measurements in my backyard after watching this. I wonder how hard it would be to do?

Almost impossible unless you have a crew of people who know how to work with concrete.

Thrash-trash

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 05:24:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Almost impossible unless you have a crew of people who know how to work with concrete.

Agreed. At least have one guy who knows what he is doing. I think in the long run, concrete is the cheapest. Although being a 80's/90's kid, I really like a wooden backyard miniramp.

slappyman

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »
I just built a 4FT tall, 12ft wide mini with 8ft flat, a 6ft radius and a 1ft extension on one side that is 6ft wide. Pool coping on the extension and 2in steel on the rest. I used gator skins to surface it and I would recommend that stuff over skatelite. It’s like $60-70 cheaper than skatelite per sheet and it is way less slippery than skatelite. The total cost for the ramp was $2700. Honestly I wouldn’t waste time with sanded painted ply or steel sheeting or Masonite and tarps or anything like that. If you save up the extra money and do it right your ramp will last longer than you need it and you’ll barely need any maintenance. I built another one 5 years ago, painted all sides of the plywood base layers and 2x4s and the ramp is still holding up great. Growing up I had a ramp with Masonite and we’d have to replace that shit every 6-12 months even with the tarp.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
I just finished my ramp this week... 4' x 12' wide (7' radius). I REALLY wanted to used Gatorskins but I opted for Masonite due to cost. 9 sheets of 1/4" Masonite costs close to 1 sheet of Gatorskins. Skatelite is even more expensive. The total cost including Masonite + 2 layers of 3/8" ply was around $1200. I plan to tarp it and replace sheets each spring if needed. Our summers are extremely dry with almost no humidity, but we do get snow in the winter. I would get Gatorskins if you have the money. Otherwise get the cheaper stuff and replace sheets as needed.

This video is useful regardless of the surface you choose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DupXUoYMl0

maggotspawn

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
Congrats on the new ramp. It wouldn't be too difficult to make it wider if you wanted to.

peptobismol

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 04:33:46 PM »

I started taking measurements in my backyard after watching this. I wonder how hard much it would be to do?

whatever the cost, they just upped the value of that house, af.

trash

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »
Congrats on the new ramp. It wouldn't be too difficult to make it wider if you wanted to.

Thanks. Now that's it's mostly done it's been a blast. I'm considering widening by 4' but then I guess I'd have to weld the coping when pairing them up. Not impossible, I just have no experience with it.

peptobismol

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks. Now that's it's mostly done it's been a blast. I'm considering widening by 4' but then I guess I'd have to weld the coping when pairing them up. Not impossible, I just have no experience with it.

welding tubing, especially smaller diameter tubing(i.e. coping), is actually really hard. it would be cheaper and easier just to buy new coping thats cut to whatever length you need. check with your local metal supply shop as they usually have bar stock long enough.
save the old coping for a box or something

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Expand Quote

I started taking measurements in my backyard after watching this. I wonder how hard much it would be to do?
[close]

whatever the cost, they just upped the value of that house, af.
IKR!

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 07:59:30 AM »
I had mine set up with a tarp and Masonite because we had used it for a friend's wedding and wanted to keep the costs as minimal as possible, but a few good Texas storms and it was reduced to a soupy mess. I set aside some money and replaced all the plywood and Masonite and got gatorskins on it. It's been a fucking dream come true ever sense we added the gatorskins. It's well worth the investment.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.