Author Topic: Skatehoarders - Jake Hayes  (Read 3211 times)

baggy spandex

Skatehoarders - Jake Hayes
« on: July 23, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »

Jake has some cool stuff. Super jealous of his Ali Banana board.

DirtyBurger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
Re: Skatehoarders - Jake Hayes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:23:40 PM »
I would not have expected him to be that big of a collector. That last Birdhouse board is so sick, I completely forgot about that one.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 07:37:15 PM »
He made it all the way to where he is and he's still just fanning out on Baker/Deathwish stuff from when he was a kid, such a genuine dude.

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 09:38:25 PM »
I watched this and just got kind of sad they he's not on baker. Like he's the most on baker you can be without being on baker.

I'm a lil older than him, but we got similar taste in 2000era birdhouse so I really liked it

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
I would not have expected him to be that big of a collector. That last Birdhouse board is so sick, I completely forgot about that one.

Agreed, it's especially cool to see a pro collecting so much. I'd like to see more doing it, maybe they do. Jerry Hsu mentioned he wished he'd done that. So cool that Bakerboys bought him the OG Sumner board.

I'm of the same mind as Jake when it comes to collecting, the boards that captivated my attention and imagination when I started skating are the ones I care about the most. I think that's common. In addition to others that I just think look great but I have no personal connection to.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 01:39:40 AM »
11:09 old heath graphic

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 03:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed, it's especially cool to see a pro collecting so much. I'd like to see more doing it, maybe they do. Jerry Hsu mentioned he wished he'd done that. So cool that Bakerboys bought him the OG Sumner board.

I'm of the same mind as Jake when it comes to collecting, the boards that captivated my attention and imagination when I started skating are the ones I care about the most. I think that's common. In addition to others that I just think look great but I have no personal connection to.

Same, I buy collect boards that remind me of a specific period in my life when I was skateboarding. Videos or pros I was really feeling at the time, or a board graphic from the "best skate day of my life", or 1st pro boards after following a skaters career from am to pro. I've been hunting for an old Status skateboard deck, the brand or team wasn't huge, but boards were the best and I learned so many tricks during that time riding those boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2020, 03:30:47 AM »
Before starting a "Not on the wall yet boards" thread, he made me wonder about how we should store boards.
I'm starting to collect stuff but still need to arrange some stuff before i can hang them (all aren't going to make it to the walls anyway). For the time being i would like to store them the best i can
He raised two things:
- should i keep boards inside blister or remove it ?
- should i store them on the side like he does ? It makes sense from a mechanical pov but he wasn't like "this is how you should store them"

any advices from experienced collectors ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 03:45:03 AM by BALARGUE »

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 05:53:31 AM »
11:09 old heath graphic
that was the pinnacle series of board to have when i was starting, fucken hypnotising
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 06:08:38 AM »
Before starting a "Not on the wall yet boards" thread, he made me wonder about how we should store boards.
I'm starting to collect stuff but still need to arrange some stuff before i can hang them (all aren't going to make it to the walls anyway). For the time being i would like to store them the best i can
He raised two things:
- should i store them on the side like he does ? It makes sense but he wasn't like "this is how you should store them

Those are great questions. Here's some stuff I've learned:

- Never stack the boards on top of each other. This leads to stress cracks and possible warping. I learned this the hard way, one or two of my boards have minor stress cracks from being on the bottom of the pile. It could've been a lot worse and I'm glad I realized it when I did. On the side or standing up is a lot better.

- Don't use bubble wrap. The bubbles can lead to circular marks on the graphics. A great collector friend of mine advised me about this and I've steered clear of it since.

- The original plastic packaging boards come in, like Jake said, can peel the graphic off. Graphics become really, really delicate over time. If you go on eBay or other places, look for skate deck storage bags to store your boards in and use those instead. Make sure to push all the air out of the bag and seal it tightly. I've found bugs in mine before due to them not being tightly sealed and I was freaked out that they'd eaten the graphics (wasn't the case).

- Obviously don't leave them out in the sun, store them in a cool dry place that won't be susceptible to damage from the elements.

- I don't have board boxes like Jake does, I store them in a corner of my closet. The closet floor is carpeted and I think that's a lot better for holding the boards in place so they don't fall all over the place. It also doesn't cause any damage to the tails.

Hope that helps!

I've been hunting for an old Status skateboard deck, the brand or team wasn't huge, but boards were the best and I learned so many tricks during that time riding those boards.

Wow, Status. Rod James! Hope you find that deck, I could've sworn I saw one or two on eBay fairly recently.

Clark_After_Dark

• Rep: 71
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 07:28:12 AM »
We've got the same IKEA duvet in the guest bedroom. Respect.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 07:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote
He raised two things:
- should i store them on the side like he does ? It makes sense but he wasn't like "this is how you should store them

[close]

- Never stack the boards on top of each other. This leads to stress cracks and possible warping. I learned this the hard way, one or two of my boards have minor stress cracks from being on the bottom of the pile. It could've been a lot worse and I'm glad I realized it when I did. On the side or standing up is a lot better.

- Don't use bubble wrap. The bubbles can lead to circular marks on the graphics. A great collector friend of mine advised me about this and I've steered clear of it since.

- The original plastic packaging boards come in, like Jake said, can peel the graphic off. Graphics become really, really delicate over time. If you go on eBay or other places, look for skate deck storage bags to store your boards in and use those instead. Make sure to push all the air out of the bag and seal it tightly. I've found bugs in mine before due to them not being tightly sealed and I was freaked out that they'd eaten the graphics (wasn't the case).

- Obviously don't leave them out in the sun, store them in a cool dry place that won't be susceptible to damage from the elements.

- I don't have board boxes like Jake does, I store them in a corner of my closet. The closet floor is carpeted and I think that's a lot better for holding the boards in place so they don't fall all over the place. It also doesn't cause any damage to the tails.

Hope that helps!

I've read some people use silica gel packets that come in shoe boxes to dehumidify the storage box.

Expand Quote
I've been hunting for an old Status skateboard deck, the brand or team wasn't huge, but boards were the best and I learned so many tricks during that time riding those boards.
[close]

Wow, Status. Rod James! Hope you find that deck, I could've sworn I saw one or two on eBay fairly recently.

I've been hunting, limited success since it wasn't a popular brand. If I can get the Jim Bates one (think it was yellow with an animal graphic in the center) or the Blue Baseball script one I would be so stoked. The latter especially, I think I learned FS Pop Shoves and Hardflips in that 1 day. Really stiff boards and they were $5 more than a blank.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
His nerdiness, short hair, and that one kickflip have made me a fan.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 01:04:18 AM »
Expand Quote
He raised two things:

[close]

Hope that helps!

Expand Quote
[close]

thanks !
it's a nice start

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 02:45:56 PM »
He tried buying a Greco board off of me on Depop and I accidentally ghosted him lol
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 02:00:05 AM »
Man what an awesome collection.

If I were to collect anything it would be early baker boards. So iconic.

I've got the Baker Bowie board he mentions. I got Reynolds to sign it at a demo which I was stoked on too.

Thanks for sharing your tips on storing boards. I've got a few wrapped up in bubble wrap at the moment so I'm feeling a bit uneasy after hearing that.

Any tips on where to buy older boards from? Ebay? I'm in Australia but I'm assuming postage from the US could be arranged for a ridiculous price
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 07:33:48 AM »
Jake Hayes is going to have a mind blowing part soon.   He’s had such amazing tricks peppered across the past year or so that haven’t received a lot of attention or as much as they should.  Seeing them all together will be a treat

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 09:22:10 AM »

I've got the Baker Bowie board he mentions. I got Reynolds to sign it at a demo which I was stoked on too.

Thanks for sharing your tips on storing boards. I've got a few wrapped up in bubble wrap at the moment so I'm feeling a bit uneasy after hearing that.

Any tips on where to buy older boards from? Ebay? I'm in Australia but I'm assuming postage from the US could be arranged for a ridiculous price

I'm in Asia and the shipping fees would be killer. I use a warehouse with a forwarding address so I can consolidate my orders before shipping, that helps to save some of the freight costs. That way you can shop for a bunch of stuff only pay for shipping within US, before consolidating the orders to save on the overall trip back to AU. I prefer to do my hunting on local 2nd hand sites like Gumtree in your case. The pool of stuff is smaller but you never know what you'll come across.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Grind King Rims

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm in Asia and the shipping fees would be killer. I use a warehouse with a forwarding address so I can consolidate my orders before shipping, that helps to save some of the freight costs. That way you can shop for a bunch of stuff only pay for shipping within US, before consolidating the orders to save on the overall trip back to AU. I prefer to do my hunting on local 2nd hand sites like Gumtree in your case. The pool of stuff is smaller but you never know what you'll come across.

Interesting idea on the shipping. Cheers and gnars
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 03:10:00 PM »
I thought rocklobster's suggestion to check gumtree was a bit strange but the first thing that came up was an AWS board signed by Dylan. I'm not chasing it but thought I'd share the link in case an Australian/Melbourne based Pals are keen.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy/skateboards-rollerblades/5-skateboard-decks-some-signed-by-pros-/1253114615?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=mweb_VIP
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »
I thought rocklobster's suggestion to check gumtree was a bit strange but the first thing that came up was an AWS board signed by Dylan. I'm not chasing it but thought I'd share the link in case an Australian/Melbourne based Pals are keen.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fitzroy/skateboards-rollerblades/5-skateboard-decks-some-signed-by-pros-/1253114615?utm_source=copylink&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=mweb_VIP

Knowing the prices of boards in Australia (90-110 AUD) these are actually a steal, especially since all thing Dylan seem to be appreciating in value; speaks to the impact he had on skateboarding (RIP). I would pick up all the signed boards and negotiate the price down.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bondi-beach/skateboards-rollerblades/chet-thomas-darkstar-skateboard-deck/1253515438

No mention of this Chet Thomas board!?! I would have picked this up too I'm such a sucker for Darkstar, they were the first boards I ever rode and Globe Opinion was the first video I ever downloaded.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 03:27:53 AM »
I wish Reynolds would just pay Strickland a boat load of make up money and we can all get those reynolds elephant reissues. It was one of those boards my mom wouldn't get me as a kid because of the weird PD symbol she thought was gang related.

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 89
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 05:46:49 AM »
I wish I had the Reynolds reaper board...

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 06:18:46 AM »
I wish Reynolds would just pay Strickland a boat load of make up money and we can all get those reynolds elephant reissues. It was one of those boards my mom wouldn't get me as a kid because of the weird PD symbol she thought was gang related.

It's a travesty really. Anything reissued with the Elephant on it is basically going to be printing them money. But understand their hands are tied with Strickland owning the image.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »
he seems like a true skate rat, i dig it. plus, a hectic kickflip

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me