Author Topic: Big wheels 60mm+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big wheels)  (Read 4573 times)

larryhagman

So I'm sitting on a set of 60mm F4 classics and I'm far too young and handsome to die prematurely off excessive wheelbite. 

Was thinking of putting them on Indy 149 with 8.25/8.3 decks and change the worn stock bushings for the red aftermarkets. Maybe add risers?

Any of you run the 90's Love Oyola/Reason setup or similar?

Good setup tips and tricks for running big wheels?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Big wheels 60mm+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big wheels)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:10:09 AM »
Risers

larryhagman

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 07:27:44 AM »
of course, but i wanna try not to add more height if possible.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
Maybe take a look at polar. They have some 8.25 and 8.38 with wheel wells

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
of course, but i wanna try not to add more height if possible.

Risers, tight trucks, and/or not turning all much. When the ollie hits tho....so good.

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 09:12:28 AM »

Any of you run the 90's Love Oyola/Reason setup or similar?
Yeah right now I'm riding a 7.5 shop deck  with 63 mm Spitfires

Deo Es

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 09:18:47 AM »
big wheels can be pretty fun. Generally I do 56mm on my 8.75

but all summer i've been riding these 61mm 97a OJ winkowskis on my ace 66s (9.98" AH Old Yeller)
they slide so well at my park after the break in. I can go really far with super controlled stops a the end of any high speed lines

I use 1/8" risers and my trucks are medium loose i guess. I do get wheelbite, but I try and routinely wax my wheel wells. I freshen up the wax when it seems like I'm starting to bite more frequently. Seems to happen less and less with each session, maybe from the wells getting deeper and/or the wheels wearing down

Get some risers and you'll make it work

Deo Es

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:22:51 AM »
I find 1/8" risers unnoticable

1/2" on chunky cruisers is an insane step up with every push. don't enjoy that aspect but i have a Zog with the 75mm Thunder OJs. anything smaller makes it unridable

haven't used 1/4" much, so maybe it's somewhere in the middle. but they aren't necessary with 60mm anyway

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »
big wheels can be pretty fun. Generally I do 56mm on my 8.75

but all summer i've been riding these 61mm 97a OJ winkowskis on my ace 66s (9.98" AH Old Yeller)
they slide so well at my park after the break in. I can go really far with super controlled stops a the end of any high speed lines

I use 1/8" risers and my trucks are medium loose i guess. I do get wheelbite, but I try and routinely wax my wheel wells. I freshen up the wax when it seems like I'm starting to bite more frequently. Seems to happen less and less with each session, maybe from the wells getting deeper and/or the wheels wearing down

Get some risers and you'll make it work

That sounds really fun.

I ordered an 8.75” Polar Shin Sanbongi surf shape with wheel wells from Uprise and am planning on using some old 149s with those same Winkowski wheels. Thinking I’ll be able to get away with no risers and the bigger wheels filling out that extra space. We shall see.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 01:03:01 PM »
60mm OJ super juice 1/4” risers hard Indy bushings, been riding this setup a lil more lately and it’s fun and tricks still work pretty good.super fun to go they crust and you can slappy up the crustiest curb. Haven’t had any problems with cracking or chips.
I have some older Oj juice 60mm with 1/8” risers on another setup 8” deck.
Powell 64mm 97a with 1/2” risers on a Ray Barbee reissue I got in 2003. Great setup, was my only board for a couple years and still works great, changed bearings and Bushings recently. Used to able to 360 flip on it, oh to be young again.

These are all great but I prefer my 55mm OJ super juices( although the are starting to chunk chip a bit) and sub 54mm hard wheels.

I’ve had some really big hard wheels in late 90s. 62mm First Division Oyolas. Lots of 60mm spitfire classics that was the only conical shape at that time. Physics 63-64mm Matt reasons. Always rode those with 2 -1/8” risers or one dooky shock pad and one 1/8” riser.

Been really thinking about cutting my own wheel wells cuz risers with big wheels put a lot of pressure on Front knee when pushing. And being low feels good. Best of both worlds would be a low setup that crushes any terrain hence love of 55mm super juice.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
I’ve been riding the widest tensor mag light atgs with 58-60mm with no risers. Say what you want about the tensors but it’s great having big wheels and still a light setup.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 01:16:22 PM »
Hard bushings (black doh dohs work), risers if you have to, WAX your wheel hit spot...

Higher boards *can* be fun to roll and pop on but you get momentum fast, real fast like a runaway train....

I recently swapped 65mm /76a Kryptonics on my 9.5” big boy for 55mm Kryptonics reds (came up on eBay at a steal) and have to say, enjoying having trucks loose again at almost the same clip rolling. Still the best board for walking the dog/rolling over *everything*

SoftCarPrawn

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »
I ride an 8.1 or 8.25 with venture hi’s and 58mm wheels.  My trucks rattle but I can go without a riser.  I had one of the polar boards with wheel wells for a bit and that was amazing because I had no issues with wheelbite but on a board without wells I just deal with the wheelbite.  Go fast, take chances so I’ve been told. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:10:45 PM by SoftCarPrawn »

animalflesh

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 04:14:44 PM »
I either use 58-60

Definitely wax the wheel bite areas

I use 1/4 riser now actually and after getting used to the pop feel I love it

Lots of people skate 60 mm with no risers just gotta ride medium tight, skate fast and wax those wells

Big wheels rule

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
Ace 66 on 1/4“ are perfect!

I wish you could still find  the 58 conical full f4s. Best wheels out

PMA

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 06:43:48 PM »
Skating the 60mm spitfire classics.

Loved Matt Reason as a kid and still do hence the big wheel choices, just from my experience though. I get wheel bite with 50mm the same as I do with 60mm, skating with no risers and rattling loose trucks. They really make treflips look cooler when flipping.

Should've got the f4 version though, flatspotted my current wheels in 2 days.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 10:05:45 PM »
You don't want to go too wide with your trucks and decks. Wider decks and trucks create more wheel bite (more leverage). EE3 most of those dudes were on 8" to 8.5".

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 06:59:57 AM »
I was riding an 8.75 Bacon last year and alternating between 60mm Spitfire OG classics and 61mm Oj Winkowskis on Ace 44’s. Wasn’t crazy about the Ojs but the Spitfires were awesome. I wish they made the OG classic shape or a conical full with F4 urethane in that size.

animalflesh

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 07:49:15 AM »

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 08:12:06 AM »
Should have called it a Kader set up if you want some responses from the youngsters.
Crazy to think there was a time when 60 was small. Bullet 66s were the rule of the day. That or Tbones, which were 67mm. I had some black Bullet 60mm wheels back then that were marketed as a street wheel.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »

When you gonna skate crust Matt's wheel is a must.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »

Loved that add. I wouldn't go below 58mmm for years bc of it... ha ha... Matt Reason rip.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Loved that add. I wouldn't go below 58mmm for years bc of it... ha ha... Matt Reason rip.

That Nanda Zipp song from the 411 segment....there’s other things I’d prefer to be able to remember, but so genuine seeming. Kinder more ‘authentic’ time possibly. The Nanda wheel look dope too. The physics video was sick.

I for sure had some really insane setup with a Gino chocolate board, indys, risers, and 60 mm spitfires. I’m sure my trucks were disgustingly tight. Being able to ollie higher with the monster truck setup was the shit. Some folks can skate really small wheels, no problems, crust, transition etc. Broserio was saying something in some interview about his wheels not unlocking anymore spots, but that he just thought they looked sick. As soon as I start trying to skate any type of distance, I want the extra size

Junglist

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »
I think next set of wheels I get that are not f4’s are definitely 61mm oj team riders or hosoi rockets. Big wheels on small board is such a nice feeling tbh. I’m sure wheel well and ventures would be totally manageable without risers.

Onevia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 04:49:28 PM »
Do hard 60mm wheels vibrate less over rough surfaces compared to smaller hard wheels?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 04:56:03 PM »
Do hard 60mm wheels vibrate less over rough surfaces compared to smaller hard wheels?

I‘d say so, yeah. They just keep better momentum on rough surfaces and you don‘t feel all the grain as bad.

PMA

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 05:19:46 AM »
My Setup when using bigger wheels(60mm+) :

-higher concave or wheel wheels. Flat concaves need extra risers.
-trucks slightly wider than deck for more space between deck and wheels.
-1/4" riser

larryhagman

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 07:35:54 AM »
I was riding an 8.75 Bacon last year and alternating between 60mm Spitfire OG classics and 61mm Oj Winkowskis on Ace 44’s. Wasn’t crazy about the Ojs but the Spitfires were awesome. I wish they made the OG classic shape or a conical full with F4 urethane in that size.

They do though?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 07:55:44 AM »
The conical full f4s only go to 58mm and they don't make the OG classic shape in f4s - the classic shape f4 is different from the OG classic shape.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 08:28:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They do though?

I don’t see conical fulls on there in 60mm and they don’t do OG classics in F4 formula afik