Author Topic: Your skateboarding pet peeves?  (Read 27223 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:09:27 AM »
My personal pet peeve isn”ghost pop” (when you do a trick without popping the tail on the ground). It angers me when it happens
Another thing is fucking pebbles. Hit one of those, and don’t see it coming, you can get folded.
That’s all I got for mine for now but wanna year other people too

Hombreezy

Re: Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »
Ghost pop is the worst.
Homies who only skate the same park all day every day and won’t go skate street with you.
People at skateparks who put their phones, drinks/food, baby carriages, etc on the ground and get mad when a board inevitably flys out and hits their shit.
Dropping my shoulder a bit on landings so I stick the trick bolts but end up stepping off. This only really happens to me on bs heel, nollie fs bigspin, bs bigspin, bs flip.
People who suck at skating but try to give you trick tips on tricks they can’t even do themselves
Posers
Unaware people at the skatepark who just walk and sit around in high traffic spots
People who bring remote controlled cars to skateparks
15/16 year old “tough” guys who try to fight ever scooter kids mom at the skatepark
Pretenders
People who clowned me for skating in middle school and high school now asking me to teach them how to Ollie
Girls who clowned me for skating in highschool but now are getting in to it because it’s fashionable and they discovered Leticia on Instagram.
Shitty art and editing in full lengths
Strobeck zoom (I do like his editing tho)
Shitty parts using up good songs

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:34:42 AM by Hombreezy »

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 09:32:53 AM »
Landing on a trick and stopping dead

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »
The "cool" local that thinks he should get to snake everyone and never wait his turn.

The "cool" local that goes and does whatever trick I'm trying.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »
When i'm on a solo sesh without a tool and a bolt comes loose and rattles.

Shinners on warm up tricks.

Being around 'serious' skaters with no sense of fun/humour

Squeaky trucks

Phones always being out

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
Yeah people who actually let their skating go to their head

peptobismol

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
People over the age of 21 that still say, "buttery," when describing anything skate-related. Hearing that shit gives me secondhand embarrassment.
The Strobek face-zoom is also unforgivable.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:11:37 PM by peptobismol »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »
For me - griptape that isn't completely black; none of that cut out, Shake Junt, spray or art jobs, piss colored griptape, plain black 100%, maybe a line near the tail if I'm feeling adventurous. I know some people can get really creative with their grip jobs, but I'm a stickler that way.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

peptobismol

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 09:15:08 PM »
Ghost pop is the worst.
Homies who only skate the same park all day every day and won’t go skate street with you.

People at skateparks who put their phones, drinks/food, baby carriages, etc on the ground and get mad when a board inevitably flys out and hits their shit.
Dropping my shoulder a bit on landings so I stick the trick bolts but end up stepping off. This only really happens to me on bs heel, nollie fs bigspin, bs bigspin, bs flip.
People who suck at skating but try to give you trick tips on tricks they can’t even do themselves
Posers
Unaware people at the skatepark who just walk and sit around in high traffic spots
People who bring remote controlled cars to skateparks
15/16 year old “tough” guys who try to fight ever scooter kids mom at the skatepark
Pretenders
People who clowned me for skating in middle school and high school now asking me to teach them how to Ollie
Girls who clowned me for skating in highschool but now are getting in to it because it’s fashionable and they discovered Leticia on Instagram.
Shitty art and editing in full lengths
Strobeck zoom (I do like his editing tho)
Shitty parts using up good songs

If that happens, they're really not your homies. The remote control crowd puts homicidal thoughts into my head.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 09:56:53 PM »
Easy tricks starving for extra attention

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 11:42:05 PM »
ledges taller than 12in

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 08:12:18 AM »
i fucking hate ghost pop

my nose/tail is worn down by almost an inch, but i can't afford a new deck right now. Every trick I do I barely pop and as a result the board doesn't stick to my feet good and even though I can still land my tricks, I hate the way they feel all sloppy and shitty.

I don't even know if its my board, it could just be me sucking balls. You could potentially still pop it, i mean, theres still wood beyond the bolts right? I know kids who can skate the most squared off shit and they pop their tricks just fine.

Anybody know any tips or causes for ghost pop?

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
I try and skate my shit till it’s pretty razored, especially now with everything going on. Usually when I’m getting ghost pop it’s because I’m getting ahead of myself and thinking about the next step of the trick instead of focusing on the pop. Usually I’ll focus on popping the tail instead of what happens next and it corrects itself. Sometimes it’s a sign that there’s something wrong with your setup since your timing’s getting mixed up, maybe lower trucks or smaller wheels. usually it’s mental though.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 04:30:46 AM »
i fucking hate ghost pop

my nose/tail is worn down by almost an inch, but i can't afford a new deck right now. Every trick I do I barely pop and as a result the board doesn't stick to my feet good and even though I can still land my tricks, I hate the way they feel all sloppy and shitty.

I don't even know if its my board, it could just be me sucking balls. You could potentially still pop it, i mean, theres still wood beyond the bolts right? I know kids who can skate the most squared off shit and they pop their tricks just fine.

Anybody know any tips or causes for ghost pop?

A lot of it has to do with the leverage of your board and the amount of time it takes your nose/tail to hit the ground. Lower trucks, smaller wheels, and mellower kicks can help. Sometimes popping from deeper in the pocket or closer to the nose (depending on the setup) helps.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 06:48:00 AM »
Being old. Stuck in this old body doing old tricks instead of the new new circus tricks.

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 05:30:23 PM »
i don´t mind landing primo from time to time. its part of the game. but switch primo or even worse fakie primo is always a guaranteed slam

peptobismol

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2020, 05:59:30 PM »
Being old. Stuck in this old body doing old tricks instead of the new new circus tricks.

you need to stop watching the "new" kids. it's like listening to the "new" music, it's fucking garbage , has no soul, and has no sustenance. watch the shit that you grew up on like ethan fowler, julien, cards, parts, old tom penny, etc. that kind of skating will be infinitesimally better than anything that is being put out right now. i guaran-fucking-tee it. nowadays, people are only focused on doing tricks rather than just skating. there are exceptions but they are far and few in between.

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 01:23:57 PM »
Decks with tails on the smaller length side especially with a huge nose and boards where the tail is REALLY less angled than the nose. Throws of my timing and pop feel completely and just looks weird to me in general.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2020, 04:51:13 PM »
When i don't land something perfectly and i still get props for it, yeah sure a switch flip bs tail bigspin out is a hard trick but don't give me props until i've done it 100% perfect.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 05:28:51 PM »
When you’ve gone skating with someone a few times, you know their name. Then you randomly run into them and pretend we don’t know each other.
Flakes. But I’m guilty of the too.
Lazerflips.
Dogs running, pissing, and shitting in the park.
People Spitting, littering when there’s a rubbish basket two feet away.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
When you’ve gone skating with someone a few times, you know their name. Then you randomly run into them and pretend we don’t know each other.
Lazerflips.

Assholes at my park refuse to throw their trash which attracts loads of birds whick poop all over the park when I go there in the morning. Having bird shit on your deck and wheels can ruin a session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

peptobismol

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 11:09:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Lazerflips.
[close]

Assholes at my park refuse to throw their trash which attracts loads of birds whick poop all over the park when I go there in the morning. Having bird shit on your deck and wheels can ruin a session.

my board rolled into into some wild turkey shit a few years back. those turds are hella big, i was not stoked.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 04:05:02 AM »
Rattling wheels..use bearing spacers

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 06:07:06 AM »
People leaving garbage at the park (or anywhere)

People who get mad and violent at inanimate objects

Wheelbite in the rain
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you need to stop watching the "new" kids. it's like listening to the "new" music, it's fucking garbage , has no soul, and has no sustenance. watch the shit that you grew up on like ethan fowler, julien, cards, parts, old tom penny, etc. that kind of skating will be infinitesimally better than anything that is being put out right now. i guaran-fucking-tee it. nowadays, people are only focused on doing tricks rather than just skating. there are exceptions but they are far and few in between.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 01:28:52 PM by layzieyez »

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 02:12:46 PM »
rocks

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 03:02:09 PM »
duck and goose poop in my neighborhood.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Rep: 3
  • Glue
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »
People that spit on the concrete around where I'm skating, especially when there's dirt or grass a few feet away. I don't give a shit if you spit but ffs don't do it where someone could step in it or roll through it.

Dudes that message me to skate constantly but never show up, then bitch about no one ever inviting them out to skate, or when I've told someone we're heading out to a different park or spot and they inevitably ask for a lift what time we're meeting up to leave, and they end up asking me to wait for them coz they're only just about to leave home when it's already 30 fucking minutes past the time I wanted to be there. Or picking someone up and having to wait a half hour for them to be ready, it's fuckin ridiculous, like cunt you knew we were on our way, and you said you were ready when I left.

This one guy at my local who's obsessed with nollie/switch tricks. He straight refuses to learn normal tricks and shits on them for some reason, and can't even land majority of the tricks he tries and blames it on some injury. He's like a caricature of a poser idiot that talks shit about everyone else's style and trick selection while going on about his nollie hard flips except no one's ever seen him land one out of a thousand attempts and he's too sore to do it right now.
Dude just pop...

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 05:27:12 PM »
The biggest one is overly waxed ledges and rails. I lost a majority of my tricks around 2013-2014 when the next gen started putting wax on everything and my paranoia of slipping out got heavy.

I don't mind people smoking weed at the park/spot but don't turn it into just a smoke sesh.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »
People that spit on the concrete around where I'm skating, especially when there's dirt or grass a few feet away. I don't give a shit if you spit but ffs don't do it where someone could step in it or roll through it.

Dudes that message me to skate constantly but never show up, then bitch about no one ever inviting them out to skate, or when I've told someone we're heading out to a different park or spot and they inevitably ask for a lift what time we're meeting up to leave, and they end up asking me to wait for them coz they're only just about to leave home when it's already 30 fucking minutes past the time I wanted to be there. Or picking someone up and having to wait a half hour for them to be ready, it's fuckin ridiculous, like cunt you knew we were on our way, and you said you were ready when I left.

This one guy at my local who's obsessed with nollie/switch tricks. He straight refuses to learn normal tricks and shits on them for some reason, and can't even land majority of the tricks he tries and blames it on some injury. He's like a caricature of a poser idiot that talks shit about everyone else's style and trick selection while going on about his nollie hard flips except no one's ever seen him land one out of a thousand attempts and he's too sore to do it right now.

Agree with the spitting on the park, i instantly call those guys out and first i tell them you do it again and i'm beating the fuck out of you, then i say that if i end up riding over any spit i'm truck fucking the shit of you. This has always worked in the past but if it doesn't work i wouldn't be afraid to go to my car and grab my gun.