Author Topic: Your skateboarding pet peeves?  (Read 27219 times)

jimgrude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
People calling it "tre flip".

No, seriously. I've been asking people for a decade to explain to me how the fuck "360 flip" becomes "tre / trey", and I've never gotten a remotely logical answer.

But how the hell did "three" turn into "trey"?
[close]
You seriously don't know that "tres" is 3 in Spanish?! We barely have any Mexicans in Canada and Spanish is not a common language here and even I knew that "tre flip" comes from "tres". My friend and I both say "bomb" for 360 flips, which comes from people saying "tre bomb".

This has crossed my mind, but I didn't think it was even worth mentioning. Sure, I understand that people might say "tres flip" for "three flip" in Spanish, but that doesn't at all explain where "trey flip" comes from. The pronunciation for the Spanish word "tres" isn't even remotely close to "trey". I know that Americans generally have no ability to comprehend foreign phonology, but I still can't see how they'd fuck it up that badly. In any case, why would the Spanish term end up spreading worldwide and basically replace the real trick name?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2020, 02:46:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

No, seriously. I've been asking people for a decade to explain to me how the fuck "360 flip" becomes "tre / trey", and I've never gotten a remotely logical answer.

[close]
You seriously don't know that "tres" is 3 in Spanish?! We barely have any Mexicans in Canada and Spanish is not a common language here and even I knew that "tre flip" comes from "tres". My friend and I both say "bomb" for 360 flips, which comes from people saying "tre bomb".
[close]

This has crossed my mind, but I didn't think it was even worth mentioning. Sure, I understand that people might say "tres flip" for "three flip" in Spanish, but that doesn't at all explain where "trey flip" comes from. The pronunciation for the Spanish word "tres" isn't even remotely close to "trey". I know that Americans generally have no ability to comprehend foreign phonology, but I still can't see how they'd fuck it up that badly. In any case, why would the Spanish term end up spreading worldwide and basically replace the real trick name?

Are you admitting that you have no idea how slang evolves? It isn't supposed to be a logical progression from a to b.

Tre flip.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2020, 04:40:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I prefer 360 flip and couldn't tell you the origin of Tre flip but when people have the option of using one syllable compared to three it just makes sense that they'll shorten the language

ratbag

• Rep: 0
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2020, 05:11:21 AM »
The Impossible, can everyone stop doing 3 Shuvs and claiming its an impossible! its such a pet peeve.

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2020, 06:26:36 AM »
Ghost pop is the worst.
Homies who only skate the same park all day every day and won’t go skate street with you.
People at skateparks who put their phones, drinks/food, baby carriages, etc on the ground and get mad when a board inevitably flys out and hits their shit.
Dropping my shoulder a bit on landings so I stick the trick bolts but end up stepping off. This only really happens to me on bs heel, nollie fs bigspin, bs bigspin, bs flip.
People who suck at skating but try to give you trick tips on tricks they can’t even do themselves
Posers
Unaware people at the skatepark who just walk and sit around in high traffic spots
People who bring remote controlled cars to skateparks
15/16 year old “tough” guys who try to fight ever scooter kids mom at the skatepark
Pretenders
People who clowned me for skating in middle school and high school now asking me to teach them how to Ollie
Girls who clowned me for skating in highschool but now are getting in to it because it’s fashionable and they discovered Leticia on Instagram.
Shitty art and editing in full lengths
Strobeck zoom (I do like his editing tho)
Shitty parts using up good songs

Youre kidding right no fucking way lmao

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2020, 06:29:14 AM »
Being old. Stuck in this old body doing old tricks instead of the new new circus tricks.

Old tricks rule though

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2020, 06:34:17 AM »
Lol at threatening to shoot someone because they spat on the ground.

Well then again, some guy shot a KFC worker simply because he got the wrong order. America, land of the free  :D

Glurmpz

« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

You have gotta be trolling. How on earth do you think "tres" is pronounced? Lol.

It's slang. It comes from "tres". Slang spreads worldwide.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2020, 09:42:54 AM »
I the being the one to explain front/backside. I shouldn't because I learned late what the deal was(talkin slides an grinds here). But I hate it. I was skating a construction site that had a pile of poorly stacked like sheet metal, so a de facto ledge. Having a good ol time and then another enterprising chap rolls up, now I usually leave at that point, I'm not good at skating and just don't like people, but he talked me into a sesh. Nice boul, had a six pack of sum beer with him and offered me one. I digress, so he bets me at skate like 4 times and like looks guy I'm really just tryin to boardslide this jawn. So we start skating the ledge thing. He's reggie and I'm goofy. He front bods it 1st try, dick, and I go for the plainversion. He goes oh shit front board, sick!... I was like baffled. Didn't say anything at first but my larry david took over. I calmly explained the difference and this guy was shocked and pretty much thought I was the asshole.
Tldr, I don't wanna tell you it's front/backside but I can't help myself.
Whoa. Danger.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2020, 10:57:39 AM »
I just love saying “tres for days”. I don’t care. Ironically enough, someone who regularly speaks Spanish was like “what the hell does that mean?” I was confused.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2020, 11:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

You have gotta be trolling. How on earth do you think "tres" is pronounced? Lol.

How do I think it's pronounced? It's not really a matter of opinion. In the Spanish language, it is pronounced /tɾes/, and that is simply a fact. If you compare it to the English /tɹeɪ/ (trey), you'll find that they only share one single phoneme (e), which in the case of one-syllable words make them distinctly different, phonetically speaking. Although not as distant as, say, the single-syllable words "tree" and "ball", they're decidedly not similar enough to argue that one could be derived from the other.

We're obviously talking about slang here. Here in Japan, everyone used the Japanese slang term「サブロク」until a few years ago, but it has now been almost completely replaced by "tre", so I'm very aware that slang spreads like wildfire within global communities. However, as a foreign language teacher with a degree in linguistics I can not see how it originated from the Spanish term. It's simply too far fetched.

Serious Bob

• Rep: 5
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2020, 04:20:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

How do I think it's pronounced? It's not really a matter of opinion. In the Spanish language, it is pronounced /tɾes/, and that is simply a fact. If you compare it to the English /tɹeɪ/ (trey), you'll find that they only share one single phoneme (e), which in the case of one-syllable words make them distinctly different, phonetically speaking. Although not as distant as, say, the single-syllable words "tree" and "ball", they're decidedly not similar enough to argue that one could be derived from the other.

We're obviously talking about slang here. Here in Japan, everyone used the Japanese slang term「サブロク」until a few years ago, but it has now been almost completely replaced by "tre", so I'm very aware that slang spreads like wildfire within global communities. However, as a foreign language teacher with a degree in linguistics I can not see how it originated from the Spanish term. It's simply too far fetched.
U were a better troll when u kept it subtle :(

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2020, 09:02:39 AM »
People using the wrong name for tricks. Fakie frontside kickflip really chaps my ass. Nollie half cab is really bad too. Might as well start saying switch nollie or switch fakie.

Glurmpz

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Just for fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtg65zY8Cv0

Peace.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:06:33 PM by Glurmpz »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »

Honestly, I always shared your sentiment that the term tre flip was linguistically poor (and generally hated it altogether, I grew up with that trick being called a 360 flip so I'll still call it that). To be honest though, it's probably an abuse of language to begin with - it's not people with degrees in linguistics who made it up, but the skate world of the 00's moments after it realized Europe Barcelona Macba and Sants existed. In the words of Nicholas Ray, don't expect too much. To this day, Thrasher drops Paris edits with Spanish titles.

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2020, 12:54:44 PM »
When I was a teenager, it was kids lying about their skate ability, tricks they've done, "sponsors" etc. Had a friend say he got gear from Active but always showed up with a chipped-ass board and never tried anything. Another neighborhood kid said he was sponsored by a local shop, he wasn't even close to that level. Just made sessions annoying.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »
When I was a teenager, it was kids lying about their skate ability, tricks they've done, "sponsors" etc. Had a friend say he got gear from Active but always showed up with a chipped-ass board and never tried anything. Another neighborhood kid said he was sponsored by a local shop, he wasn't even close to that level. Just made sessions annoying.

I assume it is still true today, but growing up I feel like every crew or scene had the one person who just constantly lied about tricks they did or getting hooked up.

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »
For sure trash being left at the park, there's literally a garbage can right next to the gate to enter the park.

Spitting on the concrete. I generally just go, "Hey man, can you do me a favor? Next time you need to spit can you spit through the fence into the grass? No one wants to fall in or roll through your loogie. Thanks." That works every time. Turns out if you're not a dick, people respond to that because they realize they messed up, but you were cool about it.

People bringing things other than water into the park, because they always fucking spill them. I've cleaned up soda messes, ice cream, pizza, all sorts is weird shit. The hot fudge mess was the fucking worst by far. Took shit tons of water to wash that out. There are picnic tables right outside the skatepark. Keep your shit over there. It's not hard.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2020, 06:00:29 AM »
video part starting with a line switch so youre confused by their stance as the part progresses then when you suss it out you dont know what tricks theyve done and have to start it over again

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2020, 06:11:11 AM »
For sure trash being left at the park, there's literally a garbage can right next to the gate to enter the park.

Spitting on the concrete. I generally just go, "Hey man, can you do me a favor? Next time you need to spit can you spit through the fence into the grass? No one wants to fall in or roll through your loogie. Thanks." That works every time. Turns out if you're not a dick, people respond to that because they realize they messed up, but you were cool about it.

People bringing things other than water into the park, because they always fucking spill them. I've cleaned up soda messes, ice cream, pizza, all sorts is weird shit. The hot fudge mess was the fucking worst by far. Took shit tons of water to wash that out. There are picnic tables right outside the skatepark. Keep your shit over there. It's not hard.

I started bringing a broom to my local because bike kids kept dragging dirt and pebbles onto the concrete. One day a bunch of really small kids littered the whole miniramp with crisps (they called it a crisp party, or so they told their mom who thought nothing of it) so I went to clean it with my broom and they asked me if I was the janitor. I don‘t even skate the miniramp, just doing it for the greater good :-[ I avoid the park now and skate schoolyards on the weekend while the kids are in the park. If at all, I only go to the park when the kids are at school.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2020, 07:04:38 AM »
Anybody else deal with skaters who just like, don't look forward when they're skating? There's a handful I see around here who just stare down at their board almost the entire time and they always collide with people.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2020, 09:46:52 AM »
video part starting with a line switch so youre confused by their stance as the part progresses then when you suss it out you dont know what tricks theyve done and have to start it over again
I used to think it was like an unwritten rule, like you gotta start regular...then yer hoping for the switch mongo, which I don't aestheticly like. It's damn awful. But we know the shoulders. That's the key but then I'm muggin some bouls shoulders and totally missed the switch bigspin. In summation I agree.
Whoa. Danger.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »
Usually pretty easy to work out someone's stance but I do remember watching the whole of this and then about 30 seconds from the end realising that he was actually regular, then watching it all again straight away. I think the first line threw me off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjqKzGQ3OEQ
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2020, 02:27:57 PM »
Feeling the need to keep skating on the DL at my office.  On Mondays guys talk about golfing, tennis, cycling, ultimate frisbee, softball leagues, whatever.  I'd never bring up skating.  Also in my neighborhood, there is a fenced in basketball court with smooth ground and a few benches I bring my dogs to on weekend mornings. 

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood in a big city.  I can skate and the dogs can run around.  People look at me like I'm crazy with a board.  I've also made it a point to never wear anything that says whatever, "Skateboarding" on it.  Meanwhile all the soccer moms and golf dads are wearing Vans.   

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2020, 03:57:33 AM »
Macho, competitive bros at the spot/park. I almost forgot about this one but I encountered it yesterday. Such a vibe killer.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2020, 11:24:08 AM »
Feeling the need to keep skating on the DL at my office.  On Mondays guys talk about golfing, tennis, cycling, ultimate frisbee, softball leagues, whatever.  I'd never bring up skating.  Also in my neighborhood, there is a fenced in basketball court with smooth ground and a few benches I bring my dogs to on weekend mornings. 

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood in a big city.  I can skate and the dogs can run around.  People look at me like I'm crazy with a board.  I've also made it a point to never wear anything that says whatever, "Skateboarding" on it.  Meanwhile all the soccer moms and golf dads are wearing Vans.   

I prefer people not knowing....they aren't gonna get it anyhow....I have no issue quietly thinking....'you guys are fucking losers...' 

gin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2020, 06:02:34 PM »
Usually pretty easy to work out someone's stance but I do remember watching the whole of this and then about 30 seconds from the end realising that he was actually regular, then watching it all again straight away. I think the first line threw me off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjqKzGQ3OEQ

Forgot how insane this part is, the board control is just unfathomable. Doing a nollie 540 on flat at 10:47 makes me think it's easier to spin if you're tall

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2020, 07:23:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

the word for 'three' in italian is 'tre'. also the case in danish, swedish and norwegian. not sure why you insist on spelling it like "trey" when i've never seen that printed in a magazine, on SLAP or really anywhere else.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »
Macho, competitive bros at the spot/park. I almost forgot about this one but I encountered it yesterday. Such a vibe killer.

Ive hit a point in life where if this is happening at a park or spot im at, i just leave, dont have it in me to be around that shit these days.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Glurmpz

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

the word for 'three' in italian is 'tre'. also the case in danish, swedish and norwegian. not sure why you insist on spelling it like "trey" when i've never seen that printed in a magazine, on SLAP or really anywhere else.

Because he's trolling. I got punked. Don't fall for it too.