Author Topic: Your skateboarding pet peeves?  (Read 27224 times)

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
People that brag about tricks and stuff. Usually those who brag really poorly execute the trick, and that bothers the hell outta me. If you can do it great, no need to lie about it if you can't. (who are trying to impress??).

This guy I used to always see at the spot would bend the truth alot. "Oh yea, I can switch bs 5050 the ledge, did it last time, but cant today" and so on...Quite annoying. And the same guy would beam the hell outtas ya when he lands a trick. So annoying. If I wanna see you skate, il watch you, dont have to stare at me once you have landed your trick.

Used to get really bummed when everyone was filming all the time. Like no fun sessions it seemed, always on a mission for their edits. Some poeple were horrible, litterally film everything they do, and put out cool parts, but hey, if anyone tried the same trick over and over while filming them, wed all have pretty decent parts.

Over waxing isnt my fav either. Skate a little faster.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »
Other people at the spot

I’d rather skate a shitty curb alone than deal with the public at a killer park... but that’s just me

sketchyrider

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2020, 08:32:45 AM »
This is probably a dumb pet peeve, but I kinda dislike a park that is a heavy mix of street and transition. I prefer it to be one or the other.

Like a local park got built with a great street course and just enough qps and corners to make a run out of it. But then there's like this ultra massive bowl too, tall and steep. Like do I bring pads to this spot or not.

It's a glass half full thing I guess, but I see it as they could have used that concrete and labor to add more cohesive stuff, and made a park without an identity crisis.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »
Embellishing your life events whenever introducing each other.........

I had a bmx character at my local park awhile ago went on a longwinded tangent about being hooked up by Dave Mirra like cool dude so can you ride that whip or can you STFU? 

Guy was just riding around and busts a few wimpy tricks as he's put on some pounds since his knee surgery just I find it very irritating when someone brags about shit no one asked me about

He bailed out after vibing others out with his incessant talking,

I know I know I do a lot of babblings online especially this forum but if we've ever met at a park/spot I'm quite meek and reserved unless we really know each other.
Dueces Bitch's

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2020, 10:02:28 AM »
Anyone who sits on the ledge when there’s plenty of benches that have coats and other shit on em. MOVE.

Cigs and spit at the park. Fucking gross.

Painted truck hangers and grip should always be it’s natural color.

Big no no riding deck company wheels. Let wheel companies handle that one. Don’t like seeing it on a complete but I get it. My first had Blind wheels and they were awful. Anyone remember Lifetakers??

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2020, 01:04:32 PM »
Anyone who sits on the ledge when there’s plenty of benches that have coats and other shit on em. MOVE.

Cigs and spit at the park. Fucking gross.

Painted truck hangers and grip should always be it’s natural color.

Big no no riding deck company wheels. Let wheel companies handle that one. Don’t like seeing it on a complete but I get it. My first had Blind wheels and they were awful. Anyone remember Lifetakers??
I get the no board company wheels and colorful grip but what's up with the colored truck's? I don't mind it as it's not something I am looking at if I do sand it off with Brillo pads.
Dueces Bitch's

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2020, 09:17:34 PM »
Anyone seen or mentioned when skateparks get taken over by "Learn to Skate" classes?

I know a few guys that go skating on certain days and times as that is all they have to roll, but there always seems to be the Learn to Skate class that ends up taking over the whole park when they are there and they say it is just easier to leave than try to skate around them or in another area.

I feel their pain, but understand both sides, as I used to help run events for Councils going back almost 20 years, so would have to come in and use the skatepark, but would always try to not make a fuss of it and not take up any more of a skatepark than was needed so others could use some of it too.

It might be different in a lot of places, but "Learn to Skate" classes are a booming trade around here, it would seem.

What used to bug me and what drove me to quit doing that was even though I might turn up an hour or so earlier just to have a roll, the kids for the lessons would usually be there too and want to learn things right away, and it was not like I could ignore them, even though I wanted to scream "Leave me alone, I just want to skate!!!!"  Often the same for after the lessons, so I would have to go to a different park to have a skate without them.

Boo hoo you might think, but there is my peeve.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2020, 05:31:44 AM »
Anyone seen or mentioned when skateparks get taken over by "Learn to Skate" classes?

I know a few guys that go skating on certain days and times as that is all they have to roll, but there always seems to be the Learn to Skate class that ends up taking over the whole park when they are there and they say it is just easier to leave than try to skate around them or in another area.

I feel their pain, but understand both sides, as I used to help run events for Councils going back almost 20 years, so would have to come in and use the skatepark, but would always try to not make a fuss of it and not take up any more of a skatepark than was needed so others could use some of it too.

It might be different in a lot of places, but "Learn to Skate" classes are a booming trade around here, it would seem.

What used to bug me and what drove me to quit doing that was even though I might turn up an hour or so earlier just to have a roll, the kids for the lessons would usually be there too and want to learn things right away, and it was not like I could ignore them, even though I wanted to scream "Leave me alone, I just want to skate!!!!"  Often the same for after the lessons, so I would have to go to a different park to have a skate without them.

The other day we had a shit load of scooter kids and my first board sessions, I wasn’t feeling it at all.

Couple of rad dads with kooky D3 reissues and their little squirt of a boy learning dropins but couldn’t figure out how to pump on a quarter.

About 20 minutes in I’m over it.
Dueces Bitch's

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2020, 05:41:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The other day we had a shit load of scooter kids and my first board sessions, I wasn’t feeling it at all.

Couple of rad dads with kooky D3 reissues and their little squirt of a boy learning dropins but couldn’t figure out how to pump on a quarter.

About 20 minutes in I’m over it.

At 20 minutes I think you have put up with it about 15 minutes longer than others I know.

That said I do tend to skate the carpark of my local more than the skatepark sometimes as the total area is not that big but when half a dozen scooter or bmx kids do laps, it is just not worth it.

I would rather take my chances with moving cars than moving scooter kids any day of the week.

sketchyrider

« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »

local PUBLIC park gets closed down in the mornings summer/december for "skate camp". pretty peeved about it, especially since mornings were the best bet for avoiding crowds/kids. in the evenings its jam packed with kiddos too, so its kind of a playground now. just another reason why park skating sucks i guess but not a lot of street spots in the area.

codelanguage

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2021, 08:07:25 PM »
Skaters hating on other skaters for their age, ability, clothing preference, truck color, grip tape design, board choice, and basically not minding their own business and letting others do their own thing.

Panettone

« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2021, 06:50:54 PM »
Skaters hating on other skaters for their age, ability, clothing preference, truck color, grip tape design, board choice, and basically not minding their own business and letting others do their own thing.

But.... But.... His wheels are made by a deck company

Lol

Sleezus Yikes

• Rep: 66
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2021, 07:11:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But.... But.... His wheels are made by a deck company

Lol

My childhood was built on the back of wheels built by a deck company.
there is the soul of Andrew Reynolds in every emerica shoe. you just have to pull on the right shoe lace and hold your ear into it. you can hear his voice saying "thank you cowboy! lets go for a ride!" just try it.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2021, 07:14:33 PM »
Pet peeve as much as this I just a rant.

Dudes who overwax shit at the park, to the point I even mentioned to the dude who slipped out on a ledge behind me how slick it was to a point of being dangerous, guy looked at me and said yeah I’ve just waxed it. Dumbfounded I skated off, only to see dude with a brick of wax going over it again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2021, 10:08:07 PM »

Dudes who overwax shit at the park, to the point I even mentioned to the dude who slipped out on a ledge behind me how slick it was to a point of being dangerous, guy looked at me and said yeah I’ve just waxed it. Dumbfounded I skated off, only to see dude with a brick of wax going over it again.

Not Paddington was it?

I just cannot skate there because every single piece of metal seems to be so over waxed these days, but I am old and just cannot skate the park like the kids do these days.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2021, 01:35:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not Paddington was it?

I just cannot skate there because every single piece of metal seems to be so over waxed these days, but I am old and just cannot skate the park like the kids do these days.

Nah, box hill park. Half that place is like an ice rink these days, hopefully kids will go back to school soon and I can get a scraper onto some of the ledges

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »
TLDR: Jaded cynical Instagram rant.

Is anyone else fucking tired of this ethos that seemingly runs through the younger generation of having to film every single trick they do and post it? Learn a new flatground trick? New post! Do the same trick in a line with another flatground trick you already posted? New post! Fuck it run it back in slowmo? New post!

Not to be on the high and mighty shit because I'm complacent too; I use IG, I post on it semi frequently etc but when I do post it's pretty much just footage where the trick was challenging for me or it's something that hasn't been done on the spot before. I know with social media a lot of people love the validation of it all and dopamine receptors going off when they get likes or whatever but there's just something irksome about seeing people posting flatground kickflips when I know for a fact they're capable of so much more than that.

Then there's the whole other aspect of it where the clip is "sketchy" and there'll be some apology about it being sketchy for x excuse - if you look at it and know it's sketchy, and you're evidently not happy with it, why post it at all? Or the classic "sorry for not posting" type of shit.

I like Instagram, it's great to be able to see whats going on in the scene when you can't be there, what tricks are going down and it's a good communication platform but fuck me is it irksome sometimes.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »
I tend to not post skate stuff on the gram, cause I feel it so 'look at me' and trying to impress people. But in a weird way, Id like to post a few things. I just dont.

But I dont have an issue putting some of my skating on here. Really weird.

trash

• Rep: 11
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
When dudes who post phenomenal skate content on their Instagram stories sprinkle in constant selfies. Jahmir Brown is the worst offender but the list of pros doing it isn't short.

This one is also minor but I hate getting hugged after a trick if the person is sweaty. Skateboarding collectively going back to fist bumps is my 2021 trend prayer.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »
When dudes who post phenomenal skate content on their Instagram stories sprinkle in constant selfies. Jahmir Brown is the worst offender but the list of pros doing it isn't short.

This one is also minor but I hate getting hugged after a trick if the person is sweaty. Skateboarding collectively going back to fist bumps is my 2021 trend prayer.
Yeah I’m not cool with being hugged either, high 5’s and bumps are where it’s at.
Dueces Bitch's

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2021, 03:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not Paddington was it?

You know that concrete a frame ledge ish thing like a marc johnson obstacle but the face is like a china bank? Parallel to the ledge and flat bar
Cunts usually leave it alone re wax and it’s so fucking fun to skate. Makes a lovely sound too, I love that thing

I think it’s those figs leaving their greasy sheen on the concrete that makes everything so fucking icy, bracko was slippery when it opened but nowhere near paddo

Muzza’s alright on a Friday these days
listen to cosmic psychos

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2021, 09:46:06 AM »
Posting too much skating/every little things kind of puts me off, too.

Like anything in life, there is a balance to be found with using social media in any way, and that certainly applies to posting skating in my opinion. Pros and such who are asked to do so obviously get a pass, but even then it seems unhealthy sometimes to share so much. I'd be happy with fewer posts from even the likes of Ishod... the onslaught only serves to weaken the impact of the clips, blah blah blah, it's been said a million times, but I believe there is truth to the cliche argument.

I have some younger skate friends who are coming into their own as adults and really figuring out how to manage this, and I love to see it.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »
Speeding hotrod dickheads, my neighborhood has a lot of speed bumps but since covid-19 bs the hotrod goons in my neighborhood have clocked which street have no bumps to speed down. Would love to pull a Karen moment but I think I'm good.

Oh before I forget to those dickheads who bump terrible r&b or batchata NO ONE GIVES A SHIT!!!!!!!!!  at a park are you def? You can play loud music without blowing down the windows you jag offs!!!
Dueces Bitch's

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2021, 09:05:07 PM »
l’enfer, c'est les autres
listen to cosmic psychos

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »
My worst pet peeve is when someone (SO, family, etc) says some shit like “Don’t get hurt!” or “be careful!” as I’m walking out the door to go skate.

Every time someone says that shit I get a bad injury. Had to skip a session today because of it.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2021, 03:06:48 PM »
pretty common complaint but for the past 5-6 months ive been living in a small ass country town with no real street spots so the local park is really all ive got. I try to go early but by 8 am the first wave of scooter kids show up and they literally all split up so theres at least one scooter kid in each section of the park....i can live with that but these guys are old enough to be aware yet they have zero regard for anyone, me or my buddys wait patiently for these guys to be done there little run and attempt to go and these clowns always seem to just stand or wait right at the ledge or whatever it is we are going for....so frustrating. I guess im not use to it cause i generally dont skate parks alot but its the only option here, thank fuck ill be back in sydney soon enough

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »
pretty common complaint but for the past 5-6 months ive been living in a small ass country town with no real street spots so the local park is really all ive got. I try to go early but by 8 am the first wave of scooter kids show up and they literally all split up so theres at least one scooter kid in each section of the park....i can live with that but these guys are old enough to be aware yet they have zero regard for anyone, me or my buddys wait patiently for these guys to be done there little run and attempt to go and these clowns always seem to just stand or wait right at the ledge or whatever it is we are going for....so frustrating. I guess im not use to it cause i generally dont skate parks alot but its the only option here, thank fuck ill be back in sydney soon enough

I recall seeing some pro or spono kid shooting his board into those types of kids at a park, thinking that was a good way to get rid of them at the time, but then feel guilty afterwards because I am soft.

Some parks I have been at and even trying to run events, those sort of kids just get in the way, sometimes even with angry parent backup, so I find the best option is to have a chat to them and try to politely but firmly explain and help them understand the park etiquette or how a skatepark works.

Failing that, I know some guys will just charge at or through them and they get the idea to move or be rolled, but I would usually think that is not such a good way to go.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2021, 08:48:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I recall seeing some pro or spono kid shooting his board into those types of kids at a park, thinking that was a good way to get rid of them at the time, but then feel guilty afterwards because I am soft.

Some parks I have been at and even trying to run events, those sort of kids just get in the way, sometimes even with angry parent backup, so I find the best option is to have a chat to them and try to politely but firmly explain and help them understand the park etiquette or how a skatepark works.

Failing that, I know some guys will just charge at or through them and they get the idea to move or be rolled, but I would usually think that is not such a good way to go.

I feel you, at this point its not worth the battle for me so i just try to pick and choose my times to hit the park and just bounce when the scooter brigade roll in. Theres always the next day

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2021, 09:07:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel you, at this point its not worth the battle for me so i just try to pick and choose my times to hit the park and just bounce when the scooter brigade roll in. Theres always the next day

i'm sure scooter kids everywhere are bad, and this is based on nothing but a hunch because i haven't skated outside australia - i think we have the worst scooter kids in the world. i try to be nice and do the park etiquette explanations and some of them are receptive but most of them have the wildest attitudes. i used to be a lot more bugged by them, but i've come to just have fun with them and use the park as a gauntlet instead of a normal skatepark. when you're used to your local {i've skated mine for 21 years this year} sometimes the most interesting line you can take is the one that is forced by a scooter kid getting in the way - sharp unexpected turns and just surfin' through 'em. it's kinda cool.

i just wish they were humble and didn't think they were killing it when they're doing nothing, actually took turns {at least amongst themselves - it does my head watching these goobers come up a ramp that has 8 people standing on top of it. then just turn around and stand if front of them all and go again to do the same back and forth line where they do NOTHING}. most of all, i just wish they didn't say "GOING!". i wonder what child started that? it's really hard to get through to them that it's not necessary to indicate vocally if you are going to drop in or whatever.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2021, 11:18:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i'm sure scooter kids everywhere are bad, and this is based on nothing but a hunch because i haven't skated outside australia - i think we have the worst scooter kids in the world. i try to be nice and do the park etiquette explanations and some of them are receptive but most of them have the wildest attitudes. i used to be a lot more bugged by them, but i've come to just have fun with them and use the park as a gauntlet instead of a normal skatepark. when you're used to your local {i've skated mine for 21 years this year} sometimes the most interesting line you can take is the one that is forced by a scooter kid getting in the way - sharp unexpected turns and just surfin' through 'em. it's kinda cool.

i just wish they were humble and didn't think they were killing it when they're doing nothing, actually took turns {at least amongst themselves - it does my head watching these goobers come up a ramp that has 8 people standing on top of it. then just turn around and stand if front of them all and go again to do the same back and forth line where they do NOTHING}. most of all, i just wish they didn't say "GOING!". i wonder what child started that? it's really hard to get through to them that it's not necessary to indicate vocally if you are going to drop in or whatever.

Brisbane / Logan there seem to be parks where the scooter kids are cool and others where they are not, or even different groups that are ok or others that are clueless.  I recall kids getting mad because we all stood with our boards ready to drop in when they were doing their thing, then even when I explained that is exactly what they were doing to us, they still looked at us like we were speaking a different language.

Good times!!!