Author Topic: Your skateboarding pet peeves?  (Read 27381 times)

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2022, 07:31:46 AM »
It drives me nuts when someone skates one of MY boards backwards lol Idk why and you can skate your shit however, but when someone jumps on my board and skates it backwards I cant handle it.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2022, 12:37:24 PM »
Not sure if this has been brought up but what's the consensus on boombox at the park?

Me and my homies like to bring a bluetooth speaker and listen to music while skating (none of us like AirPods).
I have a bit of a protocol about how and when I'll break out my boombox...

- If someone is already playing a boombox, obviously I leave it alone
- If there's already 10+ people at the park when I get there, I just leave it alone.
- I try to steer clear of music that's too polarizing. No trap rap or metal (unless the general vibe calls for it) .
Mostly play stuff like MF DOOM, James Brown, Rolling Stones, The Meters, Wu Tang, etc. Stuff that is more likely to be acceptable, or at least tolerable, to younger and older skaters.
- In general I try to read the vibes at the park, sometimes I'll even ask around if everyone is cool with it and offer to play requests.

Is anybody's pet peeve boombox guy? Does it mostly depend on what they're playing?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2022, 06:21:32 PM »
It drives me nuts when someone skates one of MY boards backwards lol Idk why and you can skate your shit however, but when someone jumps on my board and skates it backwards I cant handle it.

I always have "Silverados" or the equivalent to two silver bolts at the front and tell people that, but they often still skate a board any which way they do, which I do find amusing.

The thing that really gets me is if someone has a go of my board and then proceeds to stop using ONLY the tail, as a kid did the other day on fairly rough ground - 2 layers of ply gone of a near new board.

I just grabbed it off him right away and said to never do that again to anyone's board, even his own, but he was oblivious to it, even after trying to explain it to him.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2022, 08:18:57 PM »
Not sure if this has been brought up but what's the consensus on boombox at the park?

Me and my homies like to bring a bluetooth speaker and listen to music while skating (none of us like AirPods).

- If there's already 10+ people at the park when I get there, I just leave it alone.
- I try to steer clear of music that's too polarizing. No trap rap or metal (unless the general vibe calls for it) .
Mostly play stuff like MF DOOM, James Brown, Rolling Stones, The Meters, Wu Tang, etc. Stuff that is more likely to be acceptable, or at least tolerable, to younger and older skaters.
- In general I try to read the vibes at the park, sometimes I'll even ask around if everyone is cool with it and offer to play requests.

Is anybody's pet peeve boombox guy? Does it mostly depend on what they're playing?

Yes. I'm one of the people who will fantasize about breaking your face if you start playing music at the park. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you play. I do not want to hear music while I skate, period. It infuriates me when people assume that everyone's gonna be cool with having their brain constantly invaded by your music. I can't think of much that would distract me more while skating than music. To me, music is a primary activity, just like skating is, so they don't combine.

I realize that we can't know how everyone around us think and feel, but that's exactly why I avoid doing anything that will directly affect others. Thinking that it's OK to occupy the mindscape of everyone in your vicinity is arrogance at an astronomical level. I really appreciate that you had the insight to actually question this, but I can't help being triggered.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2022, 11:04:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I always have "Silverados" or the equivalent to two silver bolts at the front and tell people that, but they often still skate a board any which way they do, which I do find amusing.

The thing that really gets me is if someone has a go of my board and then proceeds to stop using ONLY the tail, as a kid did the other day on fairly rough ground - 2 layers of ply gone of a near new board.

I just grabbed it off him right away and said to never do that again to anyone's board, even his own, but he was oblivious to it, even after trying to explain it to him.
Oof that reminds me of one. When my, or anyone's board rolls away and someone kicks it back. Hard to explain but don't kick someone's board, just push it back with your foot

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2022, 01:09:20 AM »
Overrotating on backside disasters
Backside feeble stalls
Coffee breaks on lien to tails

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2022, 03:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes. I'm one of the people who will fantasize about breaking your face if you start playing music at the park. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you play. I do not want to hear music while I skate, period. It infuriates me when people assume that everyone's gonna be cool with having their brain constantly invaded by your music. I can't think of much that would distract me more while skating than music. To me, music is a primary activity, just like skating is, so they don't combine.

I realize that we can't know how everyone around us think and feel, but that's exactly why I avoid doing anything that will directly affect others. Thinking that it's OK to occupy the mindscape of everyone in your vicinity is arrogance at an astronomical level. I really appreciate that you had the insight to actually question this, but I can't help being triggered.

Agreed. Just put the music away, bluetooth speaker, boombox whatever it is. It's not anyone else's problem that your crew doesn't like headphones, that's what they're for. Nobody asked to listen to your music.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2022, 03:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed. Just put the music away, bluetooth speaker, boombox whatever it is. It's not anyone else's problem that your crew doesn't like headphones, that's what they're for. Nobody asked to listen to your music.
I put the boombox in the same category as people bringing dogs to the park. People came to the park for a reason and it wasn't to listen to your music or look after your dog. I love dogs but if it's running all over the place distracting people it's a problem. I don't want to do a frontside rock on a quarter only to at the last second see a dog at the flatbottom. Kids too same rules.

tonitonne

« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2022, 04:58:35 AM »
As someone who lives for music and skating pretty much exclusively, Fuck people with speakers/boomboxes. There's just something super douchey about showing up to a park thinking other people want to hear it regardless of if its good or bad. It gives me jock vibes like you're trying to get "pumped up" and wouldn't be able to enjoy the session otherwise. This is why I skate street only and alone most of the time.

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2022, 05:04:15 AM »
Overrotating on backside disasters
Backside feeble stalls
Coffee breaks on lien to tails

I’m in this weird phase where my back d’s won’t stop overrotsting and it’s bugging the shit out of me

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2022, 05:34:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Oof that reminds me of one. When my, or anyone's board rolls away and someone kicks it back. Hard to explain but don't kick someone's board, just push it back with your foot

I agree, I know they're trying to be helpful but just stop the board, no need to push it back to me. It will probably roll off center and I'm left looking like a fool changing direction of my run to get my board. But kudos to the guys who go out of their way to stop a board going full speed into a wall that would certainly cause a huge chip.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2022, 07:21:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't understand the distinction? Are people picking up your board and drop kicking it back to you like a football?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2022, 07:36:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I don't understand the distinction? Are people picking up your board and drop kicking it back to you like a football?

Not picking it up but yeah kicking it like a ball. Like hitting the end of the kick with the bottom of their foot. Hasn't happened to me but have seen boards get completely chipped up like might as well of let it run into the flatbar full speed. This to me is more an indication of skater vs newbie than mall grabbing like how do you handle a board that comes rolling at you

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2022, 07:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I agree, I know they're trying to be helpful but just stop the board, no need to push it back to me. It will probably roll off center and I'm left looking like a fool changing direction of my run to get my board. But kudos to the guys who go out of their way to stop a board going full speed into a wall that would certainly cause a huge chip.

I push (but don't kick) other skaters' boards back to them all the time at skateparks, frequented spots and whatnot and never missed or ran into someone who wasn't grateful, I think the proper way of doing it and key to success is, instead of trying to aim for the skater and possibly miss, just send the board back the exact way it came from, with the exact inverse momentum; if it veered off center and described an arc on its way to you then most of the time it will do the exact same in reverse and reach exactly where it shot out. But indeed most of the time or at least in complicated or busy settings (or really whenever common sense just calls for it), just stop the thing.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2022, 02:50:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
I put the boombox in the same category as people bringing dogs to the park. People came to the park for a reason and it wasn't to listen to your music or look after your dog. I love dogs but if it's running all over the place distracting people it's a problem. I don't want to do a frontside rock on a quarter only to at the last second see a dog at the flatbottom. Kids too same rules.

Wow. People really hate it that much huh? Jesus.
What's the protocol if I'm at a spot first (in your opinion).
Turn it off as soon as anyone else shows up?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #255 on: July 13, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »

That’s definitely one that gets no pass.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #256 on: July 15, 2022, 01:27:27 PM »
If you’re gonna bring a jam box to the park you better have a premium Spotify account so the whole park doesn’t have to sit through your targeted ads at full volume. Nothing kills a dope clip like aa depressing ad for a children's cancer hospital or some alt-right political ad. I’ll grin and bear the music, but the ads good lord please nooooo

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: July 15, 2022, 02:44:22 PM »
If you’re gonna bring a jam box to the park you better have a premium Spotify account so the whole park doesn’t have to sit through your targeted ads at full volume. Nothing kills a dope clip like aa depressing ad for a children's cancer hospital or some alt-right political ad. I’ll grin and bear the music, but the ads good lord please nooooo

Apple Music. No ads.

After this thread I did some asking around, I mean I don't wanna be ruining people's sessions. Answers ranged from "don't give a fuck" to "I like having the background music". Maybe it's a regional thing.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #258 on: July 15, 2022, 02:56:43 PM »
I don't mind a speaker as long as it's not over the top, both in volume and selection of music. I'm not even a big hip hop guy, but I feel like chill hip hop with a straightforward beat is always a safe choice.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2022, 07:51:22 PM »
I don't mind a speaker as long as it's not over the top, both in volume and selection of music. I'm not even a big hip hop guy, but I feel like chill hip hop with a straightforward beat is always a safe choice.
Yeah I feel the same way. It's annoying if it's obnoxious music or stuff I'm really not into, but I'm not gonna be raging about a portable speaker or boombox. I like skating to music and it doesn't have to be exclusively stuff I'm putting on.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #260 on: July 16, 2022, 10:40:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah I feel the same way. It's annoying if it's obnoxious music or stuff I'm really not into, but I'm not gonna be raging about a portable speaker or boombox. I like skating to music and it doesn't have to be exclusively stuff I'm putting on.

I think a speaker with BGM is better than a bunch of people just skating in their own worlds with earphones in - unless they have a reason to wear them (noise cancelling to avoid sensory overload). As long as the music isn't too jarring to anyone's sensibilities. Like instrumentals or something.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #261 on: July 19, 2022, 04:16:22 AM »
This only goes for filming lines and not for a regular session. I don't like it when people do fakie reverts on flat. Except for that one Guy Mariano did. Just do a quick sw 180 or halfcab instead.

And I also don't like it when I arrive at the spot/park and someone comes over to tell about his/her difficult live and all the problems. I mean yes, I am sorry about that. We can talk about it, but please let me ride my board first.
IG: @flowterspace

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2022, 04:25:09 AM »
This only goes for filming lines and not for a regular session. I don't like it when people do fakie reverts on flat. Except for that one Guy Mariano did. Just do a quick sw 180 or halfcab instead.

And I also don't like it when I arrive at the spot/park and someone comes over to tell about his/her difficult live and all the problems. I mean yes, I am sorry about that. We can talk about it, but please let me ride my board first.
I think a lot of people hate the land fakie then switch around. MJ does a line in yeah right where he does it twice. Markovich does a line in art bars where he does it twice but also does the tricks in decsending order so he's worst of all time. I go back and forth on the do a 180 trick,shove it or bigspin then just start pushing the other way.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2022, 05:17:44 AM »

I get trapped by people like this a lot, including people who try and hold a conversation with me literally mid skating. I try my best to be polite but it's crazy the kind of hints some people don't get.

Last week I got cornered by a guy who went from complimenting my shoes to revealing every dark facet of his life. I sympathize, but at the same time I'm almost certain that guy doesn't even know my name.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2022, 06:15:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Seeing 360 shuvs out of grinds and slides.

Bluntslides on rails. Strictly a ledge and curb trick.
[close]

I’ve always argued that 90% of “blunt slides” on rails are just an ollie over into tail slide.
[close]
Well just rename it like the overcook. Ollie over to tailslide= overtail slide
[close]

Now that's a cool name! And it's true too

Just listening to Scott Kane's Bunt interview, they ask him about back noseblunting rails and he says "it's not that hard, you really just ollie over into a front noseslide"

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2022, 06:37:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Apple Music. No ads.

After this thread I did some asking around, I mean I don't wanna be ruining people's sessions. Answers ranged from "don't give a fuck" to "I like having the background music". Maybe it's a regional thing.

I enjoy music on the session but I feel it has to be the right scenario. You seem like you care whether or not other people are enjoying or at least unaffected by it. I think the general "boombox guy" just blasts music super fucking loud that only they like which is a bummer.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #266 on: July 19, 2022, 10:48:47 PM »
This is somewhere between a pet peeve and a pinned RIP post but I lost the Allen key/screw driver part on my silver tool…..

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2022, 02:52:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I get trapped by people like this a lot, including people who try and hold a conversation with me literally mid skating. I try my best to be polite but it's crazy the kind of hints some people don't get.

Last week I got cornered by a guy who went from complimenting my shoes to revealing every dark facet of his life. I sympathize, but at the same time I'm almost certain that guy doesn't even know my name.

That is the worst, when it literally happens mid session and you just want to do that one trick/line and Mister Negative comes over and talks your ear off. You see the spot is free, it is your turn, you prepare to jump on your board and then you hear "Have you any idea what job I can do to earn money?"

Man, I am just here to skate and have a good time. I am not your life coach. You are 31, get your life together.

Anyone else like conversations with strangers at spots?
For some reason I don't like these conversations in skateparks.
IG: @flowterspace

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2022, 03:00:25 AM »
I definatly do like talking while skating but I don't unload on people or anything. Keep it light, jokey.
Convo with regular person outside of skatepark if I'm skating a spot however for me is almost always the opposite. (Not quite the same thing but sorta related)I I think once you're over say 23 there is no point talking to anyone who is trying to stop you skating ever. No please,no one more try, no explaining your side, don't even give them eye contact just be like yeah I heard you and start walking, give them no humanity in return.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: July 20, 2022, 05:28:10 AM »
I like chatting with others at the skatepark, but keep it short. Don't start a 5 minute story while I'm standing there waiting for my turn on the bump-to-bar. I'm definitely going to just throw my board down and roll away as soon as it's my turn whether you're still talking or not.

I've met several people I'd now call close friends at the park over the years, so it's not like I'm opposed to getting to know others, just be cool and don't smother people.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:15:45 AM by Thrashpop »