Author Topic: Your skateboarding pet peeves?  (Read 27216 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Your skateboarding pet peeves?
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2022, 07:29:21 AM »
I definatly do like talking while skating but I don't unload on people or anything. Keep it light, jokey.
Convo with regular person outside of skatepark if I'm skating a spot however for me is almost always the opposite. (Not quite the same thing but sorta related)I I think once you're over say 23 there is no point talking to anyone who is trying to stop you skating ever. No please,no one more try, no explaining your side, don't even give them eye contact just be like yeah I heard you and start walking, give them no humanity in return.

I learned to tone it down with time and not try to give everyone a life lesson with every interaction. Most of the regulars at the park at fresh out of school and in their first job, and if the guys I'm closer to come asking for career advice I'd be happy to give it. Only if they ask for it and during a break in the session.

But for the regular folk I keep it casual, talk about the latest video or gear without getting into a debate on WB / trucks / wheel formulas.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:12:06 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #271 on: July 20, 2022, 07:57:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I definatly do like talking while skating but I don't unload on people or anything. Keep it light, jokey.
Convo with regular person outside of skatepark if I'm skating a spot however for me is almost always the opposite. (Not quite the same thing but sorta related)I I think once you're over say 23 there is no point talking to anyone who is trying to stop you skating ever. No please,no one more try, no explaining your side, don't even give them eye contact just be like yeah I heard you and start walking, give them no humanity in return.
[close]

I learned to tone it down with time and not try to give everyone a life lesson with interaction. Most of the regulars at the park at fresh out of school and in their first job, and if the guys I'm closer to come asking for career advice I'd be happy to give it. Only if they ask for it and during a break in the session.

But for the regular folk I keep it casual, talk about the latest video or gear without getting into a debate on WB / trucks / wheel formulas.

I was going to say, do people really do that, engage in gear madness debates at spots but then remembered this local dude here who stopped skating over the years but kept showing up on sessions just to annoy everyone stopping them dead in their track to show them his little drawings and animations on his phone, took him years to finally realize that maybe this whole time when everyone would just skate off mid-sentence he should have taken it personally. If he ever got a hold of you and you were the too nice type it was a session killer and a definite guarantee that even if still in the mood then you'd have to warm up again. He would do it at spots when people were trying to film too.

Life lesson with every interaction is not just a good way to put it but actually something I feel like I still naturally go for when solo skating around the city and running into different profiles of people, but really that's probably the default when you're an adult skateboarder who doesn't look too neglected and seems mature because considerate, careful, calm and collected (also clashing against the cliché like that tends to instantly disqualify the few rare types who will still aggressively confront you from all claims at credibility and consideration; those will just situationally disarm themselves by making it evident how they have issues of their own, as by nature you reflect all their projections back at them). Interactions with pedestrians have slowly been becoming my favorite part of solo city skating actually, there's always this charm and you get to change minds and improve certain people's day sometimes by just existing; over the past months so many profiles have come up to me to point out that I was making them question certain prejudices just for being cautious around their dog, or engage about skating for their kids as parents which I guess is similar to your example about career advice. I think that's really how you change the world with your hockey stick as a skateboarder at the end of the day, by uplifting your direct community and entourage even in the most simple of ways and certainly not by obsessing over your Instagram selfie hoping your shoes look good enough although in reality you have no shoe sponsor and still been struggling with backside 50's on the skatepark box at 35. Usually those interactions aren't session breakers either because anyone worth your consideration will also be intelligent enough to understand you're in the middle of something.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #272 on: July 20, 2022, 08:47:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I learned to tone it down with time and not try to give everyone a life lesson with interaction. Most of the regulars at the park at fresh out of school and in their first job, and if the guys I'm closer to come asking for career advice I'd be happy to give it. Only if they ask for it and during a break in the session.

[close]

I was going to say, do people really do that, engage in gear madness debates at spots but then remembered this local dude here who stopped skating over the years but kept showing up on sessions just to annoy everyone stopping them dead in their track to show them his little drawings and animations on his phone, took him years to finally realize that maybe this whole time when everyone would just skate off mid-sentence he should have taken it personally. If he ever got a hold of you and you were the too nice type it was a session killer and a definite guarantee that even if still in the mood then you'd have to warm up again. He would do it at spots when people were trying to film too.

Life lesson with every interaction is not just a good way to put it but actually something I feel like I still naturally go for when solo skating around the city and running into different profiles of people, but really that's probably the default when you're an adult skateboarder who doesn't look too neglected and seems mature because considerate, careful, calm and collected (also clashing against the cliché like that tends to instantly disqualify the few rare types who will still aggressively confront you from all claims at credibility and consideration; those will just situationally disarm themselves by making it evident how they have issues of their own, as by nature you reflect all their projections back at them). Interactions with pedestrians have slowly been becoming my favorite part of solo city skating actually, there's always this charm and you get to change minds and improve certain people's day sometimes by just existing; over the past months so many profiles have come up to me to point out that I was making them question certain prejudices just for being cautious around their dog, or engage about skating for their kids as parents which I guess is similar to your example about career advice. I think that's really how you change the world with your hockey stick as a skateboarder at the end of the day, by uplifting your direct community and entourage even in the most simple of ways and certainly not by obsessing over your Instagram selfie hoping your shoes look good enough although in reality you have no shoe sponsor and still been struggling with backside 50's on the skatepark box at 35. Usually those interactions aren't session breakers either because anyone worth your consideration will also be intelligent enough to understand you're in the middle of something.
Unfortunately we are from very different places. Anyone decent won't approach you at all. Everyone else with a problem will be at you in a second and will never change their mind. People here have it set in their mind that everything has been built for them specifically while also exclusively being paid for by their tax dollars. I see like Leo valls getting stuff built in France and trying to mix it up in the cities but that just can't happen here. They've made plenty of spots like what's over there, ledges etc and people will just not believe they are made for skating or just don't care and be like no fuck off I'm sitting here. Even things that could only ever be thought of as a skateboard park get swamped with all sorts of people trying to use it for whatever they're doing, Crossfit, playing with their dog, daycare for their kids, RC cars, you think of it and guarantee someone's doing it and it's almost gonna be a fight if you try tell them to move over.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2022, 09:26:13 AM »
^ I mean what Leo does in Bordeaux and the region still is exceptional here and this country as a whole still has to progress and be sensitized to the modern utilizations of a city, especially outside the top 3 largest cities and getting anywhere close to the backwoods feels like time traveling all the way back to the nineties in terms of general mindset with people projecting their own bullshit over you non stop. So what you're describing actually still very much is the sad standard here but I think can mostly be avoided by not resembling a target, calm and self-confidence in your demeanor goes a long way with whether or not the crazy think they can prey on you in the first place, and I forgot to mention that but I also know all the best days and hours to hit each and every spot of my hometown that I want to skate and spontaneously organize myself accordingly (which I think should be common sense). I also watch the noise I make (and will decide on my tricks accordingly), and tend to avoid the sketchier neighborhoods unless I'm familiar (which I regret a bit actually, because it's where some of the best spots are). The more in the clear you actually are, the less lines the loonies who will dare try and disrespect you nonetheless will need to be reminded of their place and that's if you even need or care responding. A couple of times it's happened where I've seen situations escalate to the point where the pedestrian would come back with a weapon, or steal the skaters' bags all the while calling the cops and then act all surprised when the cops would scold them instead when they showed up. The more in tune with reality one is, naturally, the more they are in the clear when it's reality check time. Then of course there's always going to be those insane interactions and outbursts of absurdity that just couldn't be mundane even if you tried. I've seen a woman once storm out of a building across the street my friends and I were skating and straight up go to one of them with a headbutt (with forehead piercings).

You're referencing Bordeaux, I actually have one funny memory there filming Vivien Feil at the city hall plaza for Static IV/V and so before Leo made city skateboarding there less troublesome. He was trying a specific line there and then came running this typical concerned citizen, we both saw him approach as early as one block away as he already was spouting nonsense from the opposite side of the street. As soon as he got in reach we just skated off to the opposite end of the plaza - which is big and so it took him several minutes on foot to catch up. As soon as he got in reach again, we ignored him and took off to the other side again. He tried one last approach and then when we bounced for the third time he broke down in tears all the while cursing 'putain' really loud, in the middle of dozens of pedestrians. Dude wanted to exist so bad.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:37:03 AM by silhouette »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2022, 11:12:34 AM »
Ah my bad I thought it was in a few different cities. I more deal with Karen's (or Susan's as we always used to call them) than crazies so acting like a reasonable adult just angers them even more.

Unrelated pet peeve: there's a skate park near me that has these big charity bins in the carpark. For clothes but also furniture, toys, baby stuff and every other day skaters and scooter kids will take stuff out the bins, bring it to the park and usually end up destroying it. So a) the parks covered in bits of dollhouse or prams/strollers, coffee tables whatever and b) its also such a waste. People have gone to some effort to give their stuff to charity (usually also have kept it in good condition beforehand too) and the people who miss out are already disadvantaged

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #275 on: July 21, 2022, 03:08:43 AM »
Ah my bad I thought it was in a few different cities. I more deal with Karen's (or Susan's as we always used to call them) than crazies so acting like a reasonable adult just angers them even more.

We call them Mandy's over here. But yeah, just act and talk like a responsible adult with them. Maybe they will understand or are genuinely interested in what you do.
If they still get angry, they can fuck off.

But I think it's always the better way to try to understand other people. If we are getting in people's ways at a spot or someone's trying to sleep, I can understand that. But not if they live at a busy main street or a airport and telling me, I am too loud with my wooden toy. That's a bit petty in my opinion. Also depends on the neighborhood, there are some sketchy places with even sketchier people.
IG: @flowterspace

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2022, 09:53:52 AM »
When people don’t bring water to the session on a hot day and start trying to bum yours. Or they just bring a tiny plastic water bottle and want you to refill it every 30 minutes. One of my homies goes through my bag and helps himself to my water without asking. Shits mad annoying. Then randoms or dudes you barely know giving attitude when you tell them no.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -61
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2022, 12:04:53 PM »
When people don’t bring water to the session on a hot day and start trying to bum yours. Or they just bring a tiny plastic water bottle and want you to refill it every 30 minutes. One of my homies goes through my bag and helps himself to my water without asking. Shits mad annoying. Then randoms or dudes you barely know giving attitude when you tell them no.

Dude, the other day I had a buddy who only brought a can of fucking coke to a 103f degree session at a park with no shade.
I don't bring a giant jug, but I bring enough to last me through the session. I had to cut my session short because I had to give him half my water, you know, so he wouldn't fucking DIE.
I definitely told him the next time he doesn't bring water he better roll his ass down to the gas station and get his own.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2022, 12:24:37 PM »
What about saying something like….’herpes isn’t as bad as everyone says….’

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2022, 12:33:39 PM »
Tourists.

I move and wait for them to take the stupid photo.

What do they do? They stand on the obstacle and demand a kick flip.

You get nothing and like it kook
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: July 26, 2022, 02:58:39 AM »
What people do interviews for non skateboard outlets and are like yeah we could run into somebody and fuck somebody up or yeah we trespass and wreck benches and private property because we want to get tricks. Like wtf are you doing? You don't sound cool and you're just dobbing on everyone for no reason.

When somebody does a sugarcane on transition but their front wheels hit the ramp before their back axle hits coping

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #281 on: July 26, 2022, 03:05:52 AM »
how my one buddy skates with insanely tight trucks and refuses to change. you can barely turn or make a pinch on a grind. what the fuck you doin man loosen up youll have such an easier time on so much shit

i have a friend that has insanely tight trucks too. he's better at skating than 99% of us.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: July 26, 2022, 08:24:03 AM »
Cool Guys™ at the park/spot who won't give props, or even acknowledge the existence of anyone but their friends.
They're also prone to snaking or just being in the way in general.
They're never the best guy in their group, maybe 3rd best. (Best skater is usually chill, if not downright polite)
Complains like he normally lands everything first try but you don't see him land anything the whole sesh.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #283 on: July 26, 2022, 08:54:18 AM »
Currently it's heel bruise

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #284 on: July 26, 2022, 12:59:27 PM »
When I land with one foot on and one off and feel my tendons rip.
The city that makes a point of sandblasting every graffiti tag but hasn't got a budget to patch the cracked ground at the bottom of the ramp.
Pointy narrow skate shoes. Every brand.
Close talkers and their covid breath.
Geese, man. Fuckin geese.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: July 27, 2022, 05:55:50 AM »
The city that makes a point of sandblasting every graffiti tag but hasn't got a budget to patch the cracked ground at the bottom of the ramp.

There's a park near a small lake in my city, sometimes you'll show up there and the whole place will be covered in goose shit to the point where it's literally unskateable.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #286 on: July 27, 2022, 08:09:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's a park near a small lake in my city, sometimes you'll show up there and the whole place will be covered in goose shit to the point where it's literally unskateable.

The park I used to frequent had a bad pigeon problem. Skaters from the previous night would leave trash that would attract pigeons. And seniors living nearby used the park for their morning walks and would scatter stale bread for the pigeons. Nothing kills a session faster than having bird poop on your griptape on it getting on your clothes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2022, 02:18:51 AM »
The old guy at the park in the morning heat with a towel on his head, then a helmet over it. What a kook!
Oh wait, that’s me.
It’s hot and I am allergic to humidity. At least I don’t drip sweat onto my grip. Hate that.

Spyro

• Rep: -2
« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2022, 02:42:10 PM »
When someone brings a dog to the park and they don't know how to control it. If it's constantly chasing my skateboard trying to bite it, it ruins the day completely.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2022, 07:56:14 PM »
I hate dogs at the park. It's not cute.

But like it sucks when you land a banger and the crew won't all French kiss you.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #290 on: August 06, 2022, 01:09:12 PM »
@FUBAR: Old sweaty dudes are out here! Dang, I sweat all over my grip this morning, bandanna and all.

@Spyro: yeah, I wish people would keep their dogs at home unless they're really chill. For every one relaxed dog there are ten others barking, biting, pooping, and running in front of you.

I guess I'm just in a bad mood today because there was some kind of hot wheels kids contest thing at the park today, and Karen got in my grill for trying to skate a little bank that they weren't even using. Lady, skateboarding doesn't need hot wheels toys, golf umbrellas, announcers, points, or you. Ok I'm done, peace.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2022, 10:43:53 AM »
When a video part continues after the credits.
When someone says a pair of wheels instead of a set of wheels.
When someone says they have a size 8 board like boards come in sizes like shoes not an 8 inch board.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2022, 03:38:20 PM »
It's weird to me that so many skaters seem to take pride in ignorance of how skateboards work. Like if I ever mention that I like a board with a slightly longer tail or something, inevitably some dude will be like "haha whateverrrr man I don't know nothin bout none of that shit I just skate whatever mannnn"
But then in the same breath, vehemently assert that an 8.38 on Indy trucks and Spitfire wheels is absolutely the best possible setup for literally everyone.

Can you imagine walking into, I dunno, a golf shop and they say "46 inch is the best driver length, it's what we all use now".
And the golf course is littered with people trying to force clubs that are too long for them to work because "it's like the best size tho, I don't pay attention to all that boring measurement crap." That'd be fucking bonkers, but I guess if you believed in it with all your heart and forced it to work, you could still get through 18 holes with it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2022, 11:23:52 PM »
It's weird to me that so many skaters seem to take pride in ignorance of how skateboards work. Like if I ever mention that I like a board with a slightly longer tail or something, inevitably some dude will be like "haha whateverrrr man I don't know nothin bout none of that shit I just skate whatever mannnn"
But then in the same breath, vehemently assert that an 8.38 on Indy trucks and Spitfire wheels is absolutely the best possible setup for literally everyone.

Can you imagine walking into, I dunno, a golf shop and they say "46 inch is the best driver length, it's what we all use now".
And the golf course is littered with people trying to force clubs that are too long for them to work because "it's like the best size tho, I don't pay attention to all that boring measurement crap." That'd be fucking bonkers, but I guess if you believed in it with all your heart and forced it to work, you could still get through 18 holes with it.
I get it but I'm also a 6 and a half foot guy who rode a 7.75 since 2017. I think skateboarding differs a little more than conventional sports equipment wise

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: August 09, 2022, 08:11:58 AM »
I'm also a 6 and a half foot guy who rode a 7.75 since 2017. I think skateboarding differs a little more than conventional sports equipment wise

SAME. 6'3 and I roll 7.75-8.0
Yeah it definitely differs, that was just a quick and dirty comparison I came up with on the spot.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #295 on: August 09, 2022, 08:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude, the other day I had a buddy who only brought a can of fucking coke to a 103f degree session at a park with no shade.
I don't bring a giant jug, but I bring enough to last me through the session. I had to cut my session short because I had to give him half my water, you know, so he wouldn't fucking DIE.
I definitely told him the next time he doesn't bring water he better roll his ass down to the gas station and get his own.

I have one of those large insulated bottles that's a total lifesaver, and typically I don't mind sharing with friends. But I've had some moochers who'll talk for an entire summer about how they "gotta get their own bottle some day" as if it's some huge investment. I had someone get weird on me cuz I let them have some water and they ended up chugging like half the jug, then later on when they asked again I just asked them to be mindful of how much they take since I was trying to make it last.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #296 on: August 09, 2022, 11:43:37 AM »
I am absolutely speechless about people that don't bring water to a session. But I also have some medical conditions and feel very vulnerable if I don't have any water with me.
IG: @flowterspace

Marsh not mellow

« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2023, 10:35:39 AM »
Seeing 360 shuvs out of grinds and slides

People who's entire identity is based around how loose they ride their trucks.

Bluntslides on rails. Strictly a ledge and curb trick.

That's me. They call me "the Woodworker" on account of my carving skills. Thank you for putting it in words that make sense: it's like my identity. Religion: Skateboarding, Denomination: Carvist. Tight trucks are a sin against the Hesh Prophets - holy war!

Also, I often enjoy people bringing music/boombox to the park. I love to skate with music but never bring my own.

My pet peeve was mentioned earlier: city spending time/money cleaning graffiti but doing zero about the safety of the park. We got metal ramps coming apart, dangling broken rails, glass, condoms, shit... but the priorities  are offensive tags.

City Gov: "Skate at your own risk, you can't sue us when you get wrecked"
Also City Gov: "We take responsibility for anyone being offended by graffiti"

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2023, 12:54:46 PM »
When people ride through dirt/gravel
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)