Author Topic: going from vulc to cupsole feels super weird  (Read 1529 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
going from vulc to cupsole feels super weird
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:54:51 AM »
I just threw out my Adidas Adi-ease shoes after beating them and despite multiple ankle rolls they actually felt good to skate in, I could feel my board really well and warm up really easily and stuff.

Now though, I just started skating these Reebok Club C's (wore them as a daily shoe for a year or so) and im finding them extremely hard to skate. They feel really good for things like flatground and gaps but in terms of when I wanna pop onto a ledge or ollie in a quick way onto a ledge or over something or especially wallies they feel super clunky. also when I even pop my board my board feels "soft" even though with vulc shoes the board feels stiffer.

I wanna know if you guys have similar experiences of vulc -> cup or cup -> vulc madness.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
Re: going from vulc to cupsole feels super weird
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:09:46 PM »
Club C's sole is particularly soft and flexible for a cupsole so keep that in mind. They're also not as grippy as your standard vulc, this is is why I think you're having issues. But yeah, I go through phases of skating both.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »
Just stick it out and you'll get used to it. I used to go back and forth because I always felt like I skated better in vulcs, but I recently took the plunge and committed and now it feels totally normal.

Idk about club c's, but I've found different cupsoles are way grippier than others. The busenitz I'm skating now aren't very, but I also have some old dunks that feel super grippy.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
I’m not really torn on cup vs vulc as I am on gum sole vs non.  I like vulcs for their board feel but my old man feet just plain hate them now.  I’m not trying to be the best skater ever anymore (lol) so comfort is way more important to me than having to relearn a couple tricks.  Otoh I used to swear by gum soles, and still do, they can be rarer but not impossible to find on cupsoles.  Maybe give gum soled cupsoles a chance and it’ll be an easier transition?  Dunno

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
Just stick it out and you'll get used to it. I used to go back and forth because I always felt like I skated better in vulcs, but I recently took the plunge and committed and now it feels totally normal.

Idk about club c's, but I've found different cupsoles are way grippier than others. The busenitz I'm skating now aren't very, but I also have some old dunks that feel super grippy.

I felt the same way about dunks! they felt really grippy which helped a lot when they broke in

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 07:42:02 AM »
what do you guys call a "gum sole"?
to me gum (like in Black/white/gum colorway for a shoe) is about the colour. It's just the same material in a different colour.
English is not my native language though

sketchyrider

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 09:25:52 AM »
to me gum (like in Black/white/gum colorway for a shoe) is about the colour. It's just the same material in a different colour.

it's about the color, but also that "gum" rubber is not altered with any dyes or pigments, so it has a certain feel that is different when it is dyed. colored rubber provides less grip.

it does not hurt that it is my favorite color sole.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »
I went from vulc to vulc with footprints to cups with footprints. Got used to it over time and my ankles thank me for it. Yea a little less board feel but I can skate for more than 45 minutes without my feet hurting.

As stated, I like cups with footprints but vulc with footprints are almost as good. Better than cups with no footprints.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 04:32:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's about the color, but also that "gum" rubber is not altered with any dyes or pigments, so it has a certain feel that is different when it is dyed. colored rubber provides less grip.

it does not hurt that it is my favorite color sole.

Yes, real gum soles, the difference is obvious.  In fact sometimes a new pair is too grippy and i have to try moonwalking on the board to break them in.  But if you get used to it you might like it.  Vulcs are often but not always gum soles.  Vulcs’re too flat for me now so it’s nice that gum cupsoles are relatively popular these days.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 12:21:48 PM »
I just went from vulcs to eS accels and I'm not looking back, accels are so good I'm thinking of just skating them exclusively from now on