Author Topic: Twin tail  (Read 4365 times)

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 1
Re: Twin tail
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2020, 07:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote
To the guys who liked the Ishod twin tail (or any twin tail), did you end up reusing trucks/bushings or start from scratch? I'm thinking about grabbing one but worried I'll end up hating it if I'm breaking in trucks at the same time.
[close]

I swapped in new pivot cups and checked my bushings for any deformities (they were pretty fresh), put them back together and kept the nut flush with the kingpin as usual. Didn't stress too much about it.

If you are using beat up/old ass bushings I'd probably opt for fresh cups and bushings to start fresh out of the gate as you get used it. I'd imagine it's tougher for those that ride tighter and those that ride tight in the back/loose in the front to adjust; I've always made sure my trucks felt the same no matter the direction (bennies of loose trucks is you don't notice).

Short answer: At least buy new Bushings.

Long answer:
I've been skating twin tails(mostly 8.25 real) for like 2 years now exclusively with one exception. Started with a pair of fresh thunder 149 which are still perfectly symmetrical in terms of use and turn. In the beginning of this year I bought new trucks(5.25  film) for an additional 8.0 inch deck(feel of nostalgia). Then I skated a 8.0 twin tail after it, which I really did not like because of the short and small tails. Also the different turning trucks where driving me nuts. Now I am on the second 8.3 twin tail(krooked) on the same set of film trucks. I swapped in green venture bushings(94A) I had laying around with flat bottom washer and now my board is basically not turning at all anymore and it feels like shit, but at least both trucks are the same. Somehow everything works for me really well even though it feels like shit if that does make any sense. Learned a lot of new stuff even though I did not have too much time to skate lately.
Flip tricks work equally good or better for me on that shape except that my kickflips are defintely less high than with a non symmetrical shape but I can live with that trade off. It is mostly when i try to kickflip straight over or onto stuff. I guess I am just missing a little bit of space on the "nose". Would love to try a more squarish twin tail but I don't know any which are available here in Europe.
Anyways I like the freedom to not think about direction of the board and that i don't get razor tail anymore, which means I have to buy decks less frequently, because I don't break boards.

beatifk

• Rep: 43
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2020, 07:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
To the guys who liked the Ishod twin tail (or any twin tail), did you end up reusing trucks/bushings or start from scratch? I'm thinking about grabbing one but worried I'll end up hating it if I'm breaking in trucks at the same time.
[close]

I swapped in new pivot cups and checked my bushings for any deformities (they were pretty fresh), put them back together and kept the nut flush with the kingpin as usual. Didn't stress too much about it.

If you are using beat up/old ass bushings I'd probably opt for fresh cups and bushings to start fresh out of the gate as you get used it. I'd imagine it's tougher for those that ride tighter and those that ride tight in the back/loose in the front to adjust; I've always made sure my trucks felt the same no matter the direction (bennies of loose trucks is you don't notice).
[close]

Short answer: At least buy new Bushings.

Long answer:
I've been skating twin tails(mostly 8.25 real) for like 2 years now exclusively with one exception. Started with a pair of fresh thunder 149 which are still perfectly symmetrical in terms of use and turn. In the beginning of this year I bought new trucks(5.25  film) for an additional 8.0 inch deck(feel of nostalgia). Then I skated a 8.0 twin tail after it, which I really did not like because of the short and small tails. Also the different turning trucks where driving me nuts. Now I am on the second 8.3 twin tail(krooked) on the same set of film trucks. I swapped in green venture bushings(94A) I had laying around with flat bottom washer and now my board is basically not turning at all anymore and it feels like shit, but at least both trucks are the same. Somehow everything works for me really well even though it feels like shit if that does make any sense. Learned a lot of new stuff even though I did not have too much time to skate lately.
Flip tricks work equally good or better for me on that shape except that my kickflips are defintely less high than with a non symmetrical shape but I can live with that trade off. It is mostly when i try to kickflip straight over or onto stuff. I guess I am just missing a little bit of space on the "nose". Would love to try a more squarish twin tail but I don't know any which are available here in Europe.
Anyways I like the freedom to not think about direction of the board and that i don't get razor tail anymore, which means I have to buy decks less frequently, because I don't break boards.

If you find one, I would love to know please.

Seventyfrigginseven

• Rep: 115
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2020, 07:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the feeback guys, a somewhat pointy 6.75 nose/tail on a 8" would be ideal for me (I think). If that never comes around, it sounds like the 8.25 Ishod might be as close as I will get. The last couple days I have been getting over the mental game (mostly aesthetics) of how short the kicks are on my 8" Ishod, but it definitely still affects some aspects of my skating. And I certainly dont need my setup fighting against me..I have enough problems already  ;D