Author Topic: The crustiest ways to extend the life of skate gear  (Read 5650 times)

jimgrude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: The crustiest ways to extend the life of skate gear
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2020, 08:18:15 PM »
Flipping trucks when you change out a board
Are you insane? I work hard for my grooves. And the turn would drive me insane unless I switched the bushings as well.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
ALL OF ghetto/smart/innovative cheap and expensive ways to extend the life of skate gear and components

I will start with;

-waxing the whole board to slow razor tail and slide on boardslide
-an assortment of tape on shoes
- ?diy skatewax?
- filling my pivot cups halfway with soap/wax
[close]

DIY skatewax? Do you mean a candle? Nobody buys brand name wax. That’s ridiculous. It’s not called skatewax. It’s just wax e.g. a candle.

oh yeahh whatever just a blend of whatever i have laying around melted and cooled down again you knoww :P
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
Expand Quote
@FUBAR why exactly? Makes it smooth?  Or just avoid touching.
[close]

It doesn't stick to the ice and you can just easily move it wherever you need to and it applies SMOOOTH; it's the BEST way to apply shoe goo. Seriously, try it.

Truth

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ALL OF ghetto/smart/innovative cheap and expensive ways to extend the life of skate gear and components
[close]

DIY skatewax? Do you mean a candle? Nobody buys brand name wax. That’s ridiculous. It’s not called skatewax. It’s just wax e.g. a candle.
[close]

oh yeahh whatever just a blend of whatever i have laying around melted and cooled down again you knoww :P

Tried making my own skate wax at home with candles, dish soap and a chopped up bar of soap. The juice was definitely not worth the squeeze. And I almost set my kitchen on fire too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2020, 10:16:39 PM »
@FUBAR why exactly? Makes it smooth?  Or just avoid touching.

Makes it way easier to work with, spreads where you want it to, and it's nice and smooth so it doesn't look and feel like shit.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2020, 04:04:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Tried making my own skate wax at home with candles, dish soap and a chopped up bar of soap. The juice was definitely not worth the squeeze. And I almost set my kitchen on fire too.

Sorry to be harsh, but what are you halfwits talking about when you keep saying “skate wax”? It’s a called a fucking candle! You don’t need to add anything special to the mix. Just buy a decent sized, cheap candle from a discount store or a supermarket. I feel like I’m in that Idiocracy film.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 04:43:34 AM »
Expand Quote
I haven't done it but if you used thinner nuts on kingpins you could grind down the kingpin and improve clearance by about 3-5mm for crooks and feebles
[close]
dont you mean smiths and nosegrinds?

Nah I think the meant bag ladies and Willy's
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 04:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry to be harsh, but what are you halfwits talking about when you keep saying “skate wax”? It’s a called a fucking candle! You don’t need to add anything special to the mix. Just buy a decent sized, cheap candle from a discount store or a supermarket. I feel like I’m in that Idiocracy film.
A candle is different than skate wax. Sure the candle gets the job done but the feeling of skate wax is different. You also need a smaller amount of it to make sth grindable.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 05:33:42 AM »
When I was a kid I’d run shoes into the ground.
Cutting patches/ toe caps  off of old shoes and shoe gooing it on to another one.
Using zip ties for shoe laces , using a knife to make another eyelet if the shitty sideways ones ripped.
If the bottom was balding I’d use a hot screw driver to make a little tread pattern so i didn’t lose grip.

If my board got wet I’d throw it in the oven for a few.

Cutting grip off old boards to re grip one.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 05:43:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
A candle is different than skate wax. Sure the candle gets the job done but the feeling of skate wax is different. You also need a smaller amount of it to make sth grindable.

I mean sure, tell yourself that if you’ve been paying for brand name wax. But it’s just a candle without a wick that costs $20.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 05:56:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I mean sure, tell yourself that if you’ve been paying for brand name wax. But it’s just a candle without a wick that costs $20.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Shake_Junt_Box_Logo_Wax/descpage-SJBXLGOWX.html
This is the most expensive skate wax usually see. Most are around 2-6 dollars. I still dont buy them tho. I've been finding wax people left at spots and just running that.

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »
I once used white electrical tape to re wrap a vulc sole and shoe gooed over it. It made the shoes look almost new from a distance. They skated ok after that too, so it slightly increased the lifespan.

It's not really crusty but I always super glue the stitches in main wear areas of shoes as well as the shoelaces.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 09:38:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

This is a very minor peeve of mine. Candles aren't even cheaper than skate wax and all wax is not the same. Personally I dislike parafin wax for skating. Literally no one ever has paid $20 for skate wax, I've spent $10 in the last 3 years on skate wax and still have a years worth (granted, I'm counting some I got for free with bearings).

Frank and Fred

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
Not crusty but sometimes I replace bearings one by one. This comes from years of saving good bearings from an otherwise blown set.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
As a kid my dad tuned me into using JB Weld as a filler to rebuild razor tails. Do it before you get past the last two plies so you have something to hold it in place. Worked pretty damn well, much stronger and more abrasive resistant that typical wood filler, since it has steel particles in it instead of just plasticized particles or wood particles. I would put tape around the perimeter of the tail to act as a "form" for the relatively flow-y state of JB Weld before it hardens.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2020, 02:49:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

lol just use paraffin wax. It's like $5 for a brick on Amazon. If you think you need a "special formula" for skating I have a bridge to sell you ...

[close]

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2020, 03:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

It's more about how it spreads. I guarantee a candle won't spread as easily as what I've got on any surface, especially if it's cold

peptobismol

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2020, 03:24:49 PM »
i read, "the CUTEST ways to extend the life of skate gear."

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2020, 03:42:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
It's more about how it spreads. I guarantee a candle won't spread as easily as what I've got on any surface, especially if it's cold

but I'm fucking shit. And frankly don't like leaving slides/grinds significantly slower than when I came in

also, it doesn't shit on ur boards as hard during boardslide

my "recipe" is
candle
1tsp cooking oil
spoonfulish of butter

makes the wax softer and easier to spread in a smooth layer (like buddha)
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »
idk if this applies but i used to have to do some crazy shit because my pivot cups were all broken and i was a poor 14 year old, stuffed damn near anything you could imagine in that bitch 😫 i also had to frankenstein the baseplate of an indy stage 7 with a hollow thunder axle once. also not me but ive seen a dude at the skatepark wear mismatched shoes to get the most possible life out of each pair. i think they were different sizes too
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

peptobismol

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 04:05:09 PM »
as soon as i have access to a tig welder, im going to try and weld back together some broken baseplates. its going to be crusty af since welding anything thats cast is str8 nasty. has anyone else tried it?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2020, 04:35:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

but I'm fucking shit. And frankly don't like leaving slides/grinds significantly slower than when I came in

my "recipe" is
candle
1tsp cooking oil
spoonfulish of butter

So nobody in this thread has heard of gulf wax? It’s like $3 comes in 4 little bricks , last forever, slides great. Save yourself some time and effort... geez

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

my "recipe" is
candle
1tsp cooking oil
spoonfulish of butter

[close]
So nobody in this thread has heard of gulf wax? It’s like $3 comes in 4 little bricks , last forever, slides great. Save yourself some time and effort... geez

This ^

Readily available in the canning section of most grocery stores.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2020, 06:57:27 PM »
Not crusty but sometimes I replace bearings one by one. This comes from years of saving good bearings from an otherwise blown set.

Same, 1 of the bearings on my set of Swiss crapped out on me, so I'm rocking 7 Swiss and 1 China Reds.

Lucked into a set of 16 Kryptonic inline bearings for $15, 2 setups worth of bearings. Haven't tested them out yet but if they're good I'll sell off my Bones Swiss and Ceramics.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2020, 10:01:45 PM »
I buy scented pillar candles to set the vibe in my bedroom. Then when it’s down to the bottom and burnt I use it to wax curbs for slappies or whatever. Leaves a good scent so I can chill while I sk8 lmao all about my radical wellness.  I haven’t bought actual skate wax before and idk if it’s any better. What the frickin recipe for candles be skate wax. Same shit? Dollar tree candles have worked for me before also.

Thanks for the duct tape in the pivot cup tip. Last time my cup went out the kingpin was ground all tf down so couldn’t take the hanger off lol.

I used to use valve oil for my trumpet on my bearings.  I put the oil I put on my bike on my bearings now. Let them rest on a paper towel to drip out.

I found a pile of spacers for wheels at the skate spot. Random but useful and happy my wheel nutZ are flush on the axle. Maybe I’ll start to rotate ‘em tires.

Waxing your tail to avoid razor tail? I’m curious. To avoid razor tail. I slide my tail to flatten it on the ground to kinda grind the razor away.

nothing's been the since same

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2020, 02:40:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

lol just use paraffin wax. It's like $5 for a brick on Amazon. If you think you need a "special formula" for skating I have a bridge to sell you ...

[close]

[close]

This also happened to a friend of mine when we were like 16 and he almost got kicked out of his mom's house for ruining every single of her pans. The 'wax' turned out nice though.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2020, 02:50:22 AM »
Expand Quote
I haven't done it but if you used thinner nuts on kingpins you could grind down the kingpin and improve clearance by about 3-5mm for crooks and feebles
[close]
dont you mean smiths and nosegrinds?
You really need good kingpin clearance on k-grinds though.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2020, 05:09:30 AM »
physics disagrees
you don't need any kingpin clearance on crooked grind
Just look at a crooked groove on the hanger, there's absolutely no way the kingpin can be involved

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2020, 05:35:45 AM »
physics disagrees
you don't need any kingpin clearance on crooked grind
Just look at a crooked groove on the hanger, there's absolutely no way the kingpin can be involved
Wow, thanks for clearing that up, you must be really, really smart. Like a genius or something.