Author Topic: The crustiest ways to extend the life of skate gear  (Read 5648 times)

BALARGUE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: The crustiest ways to extend the life of skate gear
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2020, 06:57:15 AM »
I do crooked grinds for a living
You're welcome

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2020, 10:15:24 AM »
The ice cube for shoe goo: makes it smoother and is easier to apply with than a stick. For me, anyways.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »
I recommend sanding chips out and or taking a sander for when you get razor tail along with the sides to get that ultra smooth feeling whenever you get a fresh deck.

If you want to remove colorways or goofy logo's on your trucks get a Brillo pad and buff that shut to a mirror shine so bright it is catching everyone's eyes.
Dueces Bitch's

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2020, 11:00:07 AM »
Not super crusty but I sand the edges of my boards where they get chewed up from landing primo. Maybe it doesn't actually do anything, but I feel like it keeps my nose and tail from chipping and keeps the board looking nice for longer.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »
Sand down griptape on a new board so it doesn’t tear your shoes as easily.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
I recommend sanding chips out and or taking a sander for when you get razor tail along with the sides to get that ultra smooth feeling whenever you get a fresh deck.

If you want to remove colorways or goofy logo's on your trucks get a Brillo pad and buff that shut to a mirror shine so bright it is catching everyone's eyes.

Does the Brillo pad work for removing the adonized coloring on trucks? I'm pairing my Venture 5.2 V-Hollow (Blue) with a bog standard cast baseplate. Call me old fashion but trucks should be either polished or raw, black if I'm feeling adventerous.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2020, 09:19:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Does the Brillo pad work for removing the adonized coloring on trucks? I'm pairing my Venture 5.2 V-Hollow (Blue) with a bog standard cast baseplate. Call me old fashion but trucks should be either polished or raw, black if I'm feeling adventerous.
Andonized metal doesn’t work well and makes it look like shit tbh, I tried to do that on a maroon colored stage 9’s Indy’s and I regretted it ever since.

For those I’d recommend either sanding them down or leaving them alone, if you’re going go through with it try paint stripper and or sanding them down and match the color to raw material.
Dueces Bitch's

animalflesh

« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2020, 09:35:07 AM »
Yeah you can get a perfectly flat shoe goo later that way it’s a must

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
Up cycle your wasted crap with dental floss and sell it to hypebeast. Take verbal abuse from peers for selling pre studded shit to non punks.

Buy beers for everyone and have a sewing party all is forgiven

I'm like ⅘ trash
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2020, 05:24:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ALL OF ghetto/smart/innovative cheap and expensive ways to extend the life of skate gear and components
[close]

DIY skatewax? Do you mean a candle? Nobody buys brand name wax. That’s ridiculous. It’s not called skatewax. It’s just wax e.g. a candle.
[close]

oh yeahh whatever just a blend of whatever i have laying around melted and cooled down again you knoww :P
[close]

Tried making my own skate wax at home with candles, dish soap and a chopped up bar of soap. The juice was definitely not worth the squeeze. And I almost set my kitchen on fire too.
[close]
I don't know what you're all talking about therefore you are dumb and i am smart
I made a block recently, i had a bunch of small pieces of a shitty hard candle that had crumbled when trying to use it. I melted the chunks down with a little canola oil and butter. The end result is less crumbly, softer, slides better, lasts longer and applies easier than a candle. But hey, go off king, tell us all how stupid we are

slappyjoes

• Rep: 38
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »
Seen ellington use a belt sander to get rid of hes flatspots on hes instagram story

vindogg

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54:42 PM »
if you got holes in the side of your shoes cut up one of your mags and glue it on the inside of the shoe. Proceed to shoe goo the outside of your shoe. Works well if you're like me and you skate canvas vans every once in a while and you put holes in em in 5 ollies.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2020, 11:20:01 AM »
A strip or two of duct tape on the inside before you goo that shoe works too

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2020, 08:56:56 PM »
i found an old hot glue gun laying around and bought a pack of glue sticks for $2 at the corner store. gave my shoes a whole new layer of skin in the wear areas and it flexes with my feet. fuck buying shoe goo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2020, 10:57:24 PM »
lol im definitely guilty of waxing my tail plies when I got like 3 plies left on a board

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2020, 11:53:09 PM »
Use old parts to make a rain board, if you have a rain board at all.

When your shoelace is about to rip, just shift it over a bit so one side is longer than the other. Also, keep the good shoelaces from your old shoes for spares.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2020, 03:20:06 AM »
Up cycle your wasted crap with dental floss and sell it to hypebeast. Take verbal abuse from peers for selling pre studded shit to non punks.

Buy beers for everyone and have a sewing party all is forgiven

I'm like ⅘ trash

When that website oxbloodoi was around me and my buddies used to paint and stud jackets and sell them on there. Fuck it, there's no integrity in being broke. Having said that I never actually felt good about it.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2020, 05:33:35 AM »
i found an old hot glue gun laying around and bought a pack of glue sticks for $2 at the corner store. gave my shoes a whole new layer of skin in the wear areas and it flexes with my feet. fuck buying shoe goo

I do this too, never seen shoe goo in Sweden so I don't know if it's good or not.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2020, 09:16:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do this too, never seen shoe goo in Sweden so I don't know if it's good or not.

I'm gonna have to try this soon. I love shoe goo, it's almost perfect, but I do wish it was slightly grippier.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2020, 12:38:00 PM »
Covid 19.

My gear is lasting forever since this started.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2020, 06:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ALL OF ghetto/smart/innovative cheap and expensive ways to extend the life of skate gear and components
[close]

DIY skatewax? Do you mean a candle? Nobody buys brand name wax. That’s ridiculous. It’s not called skatewax. It’s just wax e.g. a candle.
[close]

oh yeahh whatever just a blend of whatever i have laying around melted and cooled down again you knoww :P
[close]

Tried making my own skate wax at home with candles, dish soap and a chopped up bar of soap. The juice was definitely not worth the squeeze. And I almost set my kitchen on fire too.

There was a scooter kid that made his own wax and sold it through the park I go to.

Man that shit was so good and I don't think he goes there anymore, which is gutting since that shit was dope.

I wouldn't dare try it cause I'll definitely blow up the house and/or make a mess in the process.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2020, 06:25:30 AM »
i blocked the sink making wax once, never again

£1 scented candle does the trick

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2020, 06:33:07 AM »

£1 scented candle does the trick
Always baffles me pay a lot for skate wax and it always tends to suck.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

sadnocomply

• Rep: 117
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »
Still reading this as “the cutest ways to extend the life of skate gear”

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm gonna have to try this soon. I love shoe goo, it's almost perfect, but I do wish it was slightly grippier.
If you don't have a hot glue gun, or maybe you're out and in need of a quick fix, glue sticks and a lighter will get the job done.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
Swap only the hanger of your trucks if you grind one down faster than the other. Literally no difference in feel since you keep the same bushings front and back, you might just have to regroove them.

joe momma

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2020, 11:36:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you for that information.

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
If axle threading is stripped and you don't have a threading tool, hammer nut into threading and just crank it on. It's basically a hail mary to skate until you can really fix it.

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2020, 12:24:56 PM »
I used to grind out flat spots on my wheels with a bench top grinder. Worked great at removing flat spots but back in the mid 90's, there wasn't much wheel to grind down.