Author Topic: Astrology and Skateboarding  (Read 16593 times)

ride the tiger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -18
  • Are you telling me a shrimp fried this rice?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Astrology and Skateboarding
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2020, 05:07:18 AM »

My unpopular opinion is that this forum is actually not about skateboarding.

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2020, 05:37:43 AM »
its mind numbing how many ignorant people there are

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2020, 05:58:17 AM »
I’d rather be ignorant for fucking around with astrology than for some of the things I’ve seen posters rally against recently  ::)
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

bigmike

• Rep: 12
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2020, 06:00:14 AM »
Cancer sun, Gemini moon, cancer rising. I changed the way I dress up a lot over the years and I have a little bit of a safety hands thing. I blame both on being a double water sign and the clothing thing more specifically on my Gemini moon

To the point about Leos having sick style: one of my roommates barely ever skates but looks amazing every time he can manage to slash a quarter

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2020, 06:05:11 AM »
Good brand name

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 739
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2020, 06:31:23 AM »
Aquarius sun & Cancer moon

Which is why, as I'm sure many have noticed, I'm such a bitch but also such a sap.

Speaking of which, I love how much of a boner dudes get for disbelieving astrology. Like wow, tell us more about how wise you are. God forbid people enjoy something based purely on imagination.

ride the tiger

• Rep: -18
  • Are you telling me a shrimp fried this rice?
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2020, 06:55:50 AM »
Astrological birth signs in suicide: hypothesis or speculation?

"To see whether astrological birth signs are associated with suicide and the method used, data was collected from the Public Health Department in North Cheshire representing all the Cheshire Coroner's verdicts of suicide, and open verdicts, in all deceased aged 60 and above between 1989 and 2000. The observed occurrence of deaths due to natural causes, and suicide, in relation to birth signs did not differ significantly from what would be expected from chance. However, the distribution of suicide by hanging appeared significantly higher in those with a birth sign of Virgo and lowest in Sagittarius and Scorpio. The distribution of violent and non-violent suicides in relation to star signs showed higher occurences of violent death in persons born in the summer months."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12741653/

My unpopular opinion is that this forum is actually not about skateboarding.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2020, 08:18:13 AM »
Speaking of which, I love how much of a boner dudes get for disbelieving astrology. Like wow, tell us more about how wise you are. God forbid people enjoy something based purely on imagination.

It's harmless I guess, but folks willing themself to believe things (at which point it's no longer just something they "enjoy") that are easily disproven by the slightest bit of critical thinking is generally not great for society. Q-anon is Astrology for rednecks

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2020, 08:22:36 AM »
A thread on skate astrology made it to 5 pages?

It's a crazy world.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2020, 08:27:40 AM »
My horoscope basically told me to straighten up my music room today, or that’s how I interpreted it, which is much needed.

At least it didn’t tell me to handle snakes or drink poison to prove my faith in the lord.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Astrology is probably one of my biggest pet peeves, but I try really hard to not get on ppl’s faces about it. I am much more reliant on emotions and/or logic (not mutually exclusive!) in my life, while spirituality lies at the frontiers of my perception of the universe.

DR, what are the merits you see for Astrology? A long history does not necessarily provide legitimacy—not like Abrahamic religions are a gold standard. Then again, religions attempt to enforce their own moral guidance, but I fail to see the “benefits” of Astrology other than being fun and interesting for some people, which is totally fine.

Why do you think it’s not trying to present itself as science? It absolutely uses pseudo-astronomy to categorize people and prescribe behaviors. Other than its societal context, I hate the fact that I’m being “told about myself.” I’m my own person, my DOB shouldn’t have any bearing on my significant, formative experiences, and I think it is detrimental to individuality. Yet, conversely, it has a very interesting spot in people’s identities as well.

In any case (as opinionated as I might be) I’m just trying to discuss, not out to attack anyone.

I share a bday with Obama which I think is preeettyyy cool hahah.
[close]

Bold 1: This is a remarkably self-aware and introspective statement to make. Shalom

Bold 2: Like you said, it's a fun and interesting topic and that's enough merit on its own. Some people are threatened by it obviously but it's usually because they read something about themselves or heard something that they didn't want to read or hear. Nobody likes being told their flaws and weaknesses. It helped me to learn more about myself and you have to take the bad with the good.

Bold 3: I don't know anyone who considers it a science. It is pre-science or proto-science if you insist on categorizing it with those terms. I don't follow anybody who claims it is an actual science in modern terms. I'm sure there are people who do but I know there's a lot of fakers and charlatans in the world, in every field of study and school of thought of every kind
[close]

appreciate the reply homie, shalom.

that’s actually a super interesting point I hadn’t considered. Facing a prescribed personality or assumptions about oneself could plausibly effect some moral awareness or a desire for personal change—give one something to work on or maybe feel proud of.

hmm idk man the label of protoscience leaves a door for it to potentially become an “accepted science.” I am definitely rethinking its interpretative merit though. Do you see it more as a hobby or a lifestyle or something else entirely? I guess I’m being whack and keep trying to label things but what I mean is I’m interested in your perspective since you seem pretty into it.

I'm a Sagittarius, we do everything quickly, our biggest flaw is not thinking through the implications of what we say before we say it. Sag leaves a lot of broken hearts and bruised egos in our wake because of our foot-in-mouth disease. It's something I've been trying to work on for a long time. I'm proud to consider myself a thoughtful communicator. Sag is the only sign depicted holding a weapon (a bow and arrow) and we can be harshly critical of ourselves and others. There are a great number of super funny Sag comedians though, like Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison, whose comedic styles live on the edge of sanity and show a nervous temperament. Libra is however the funniest sign in my opinion.

On whether it's a lifestyle or a hobby, it is kind of uncategorizable like skateboarding. I came to believe in it because I had a girlfriend who liked to tell me about it, and I worked in a restaurant that had a list of all the employee's birthdays on the wall. I memorized everybody's Signs and through paying close attention to people's behavior I was able to see patterns start to emerge. 15 years later and it's still something I think about every day, to understand my own and other peoples desires and motivations, to know what perspective they are coming from and the basic way in which they interact with the world around them. It's important to note that what Astrology says about people is fundamental and not always obvious or specific. You have to look deeper than the surface of one's personality to understand where they are coming from and what makes them similar to other people with their sign. For example, you are a Leo, and you seem to have a curious nature and a gentlemanly demeanor. Leo is a sign of Kings and a very charming character. They say if we still lived without laws and modern society and lived in the forests and plains, if humanity never developed into what it is today, Leos would rule the world through the right of Kings.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2020, 09:19:06 AM »
I share my birthday with Salvadore Dali and the elephant man.
Dali was a Taurus and Joseph Merrick was a Leo

Digital Rasta

« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »
November 23rd so Sagittarius and my ascendant is Taurus.

One doesn't have to embrace and subscribe to astrology to find it fun. I used to be fully cartesian and then I dated a girl who was super into astrology for eight years - it probably took her half that time to admit she was actually into it and not just bringing it up for jokes, too. Used to drive me crazy at first and then I eased into noticing the patterns in the behavior of people with specific signs and/or ascendants that she was pointing out to me too. Now I don't swear by it at all but it's something fun to consider.

Also that girl would always correctly guess people's astrological sign at first sight upon meeting them. As originally a firm non-believer, it always fucking blew my mind - she did that to hundreds of people over the years and only got it wrong (in my presence) maybe three or four times, then she would always get it right on the second guess. Needless to say most people's reaction was to freak out and suspect they had been stalked or something when she really had just seen them for the first time. She almost got kicked off a job as a shop employee once because she'd keep sending the average customer into panic mode simply by guessing their sign correctly seconds after greeting them.
I can't do it at first sight but I've guessed a few people's signs before and they get freaked the fuck out

Digital Rasta

« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2020, 09:28:59 AM »
Cancer sun, Gemini moon, cancer rising. I changed the way I dress up a lot over the years and I have a little bit of a safety hands thing. I blame both on being a double water sign and the clothing thing more specifically on my Gemini moon

To the point about Leos having sick style: one of my roommates barely ever skates but looks amazing every time he can manage to slash a quarter
LOL Jim Greco has Moon in Gemini too

Digital Rasta

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2020, 09:30:30 AM »
Astrological birth signs in suicide: hypothesis or speculation?

"To see whether astrological birth signs are associated with suicide and the method used, data was collected from the Public Health Department in North Cheshire representing all the Cheshire Coroner's verdicts of suicide, and open verdicts, in all deceased aged 60 and above between 1989 and 2000. The observed occurrence of deaths due to natural causes, and suicide, in relation to birth signs did not differ significantly from what would be expected from chance. However, the distribution of suicide by hanging appeared significantly higher in those with a birth sign of Virgo and lowest in Sagittarius and Scorpio. The distribution of violent and non-violent suicides in relation to star signs showed higher occurences of violent death in persons born in the summer months."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12741653/
The Water signs are most prone to Suicide according to most. Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2020, 10:02:12 AM »
Expand Quote
November 23rd so Sagittarius and my ascendant is Taurus.

One doesn't have to embrace and subscribe to astrology to find it fun. I used to be fully cartesian and then I dated a girl who was super into astrology for eight years - it probably took her half that time to admit she was actually into it and not just bringing it up for jokes, too. Used to drive me crazy at first and then I eased into noticing the patterns in the behavior of people with specific signs and/or ascendants that she was pointing out to me too. Now I don't swear by it at all but it's something fun to consider.

Also that girl would always correctly guess people's astrological sign at first sight upon meeting them. As originally a firm non-believer, it always fucking blew my mind - she did that to hundreds of people over the years and only got it wrong (in my presence) maybe three or four times, then she would always get it right on the second guess. Needless to say most people's reaction was to freak out and suspect they had been stalked or something when she really had just seen them for the first time. She almost got kicked off a job as a shop employee once because she'd keep sending the average customer into panic mode simply by guessing their sign correctly seconds after greeting them.
[close]
I can't do it at first sight but I've guessed a few people's signs before and they get freaked the fuck out

Guess mine.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »
d way and his capricorn slave minions sounds genuinely terrifying, thank you for letting us know brother

Digital Rasta

« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »
Scorpi-yo, I'm a Scorpio. 11/6. Any pro skaters born that same day? I feel like Scorpios are less likely to be skateboarders.

Only famous folks I know with my same birthday are John Phillip Sousa (old timey American composer famous for his military marches), James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, and Ethan Hawke.
Not the case at all. GT and Ishod are born 10/31 and 11/1 respectively

Glurmpz

« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2020, 10:50:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Astrology is probably one of my biggest pet peeves, but I try really hard to not get on ppl’s faces about it. I am much more reliant on emotions and/or logic (not mutually exclusive!) in my life, while spirituality lies at the frontiers of my perception of the universe.

DR, what are the merits you see for Astrology? A long history does not necessarily provide legitimacy—not like Abrahamic religions are a gold standard. Then again, religions attempt to enforce their own moral guidance, but I fail to see the “benefits” of Astrology other than being fun and interesting for some people, which is totally fine.

Why do you think it’s not trying to present itself as science? It absolutely uses pseudo-astronomy to categorize people and prescribe behaviors. Other than its societal context, I hate the fact that I’m being “told about myself.” I’m my own person, my DOB shouldn’t have any bearing on my significant, formative experiences, and I think it is detrimental to individuality. Yet, conversely, it has a very interesting spot in people’s identities as well.

In any case (as opinionated as I might be) I’m just trying to discuss, not out to attack anyone.

[close]

Bold 1: This is a remarkably self-aware and introspective statement to make. Shalom

Bold 2: Like you said, it's a fun and interesting topic and that's enough merit on its own. Some people are threatened by it obviously but it's usually because they read something about themselves or heard something that they didn't want to read or hear. Nobody likes being told their flaws and weaknesses. It helped me to learn more about myself and you have to take the bad with the good.

Bold 3: I don't know anyone who considers it a science. It is pre-science or proto-science if you insist on categorizing it with those terms. I don't follow anybody who claims it is an actual science in modern terms. I'm sure there are people who do but I know there's a lot of fakers and charlatans in the world, in every field of study and school of thought of every kind
[close]

that’s actually a super interesting point I hadn’t considered. Facing a prescribed personality or assumptions about oneself could plausibly effect some moral awareness or a desire for personal change—give one something to work on or maybe feel proud of.

hmm idk man the label of protoscience leaves a door for it to potentially become an “accepted science.” I am definitely rethinking its interpretative merit though. Do you see it more as a hobby or a lifestyle or something else entirely? I guess I’m being whack and keep trying to label things but what I mean is I’m interested in your perspective since you seem pretty into it.
[close]

It's important to note that what Astrology says about people is fundamental and not always obvious or specific. You have to look deeper than the surface of one's personality to understand where they are coming from and what makes them similar to other people with their sign. For example, you are a Leo, and you seem to have a curious nature and a gentlemanly demeanor.

Actually, one of the key traits of astrology is that all the descriptions of characteristics etc are very broad and able to be applied to anyone in most cases, such as the one you just used. This is common knowledge, even to many people who follow astrology.  You'd be hard pressed to find a human who would say they don't have a curious nature, and the gentlemanly demeanor just means you're respectful/polite, which almost anyone would say about themselves. For example, astrology says I'm a Cancer, which comes with a whole laundry list of supposed characteristics and personality traits that, if I wanted to, I could find a way to relate to my own personality. But interestingly enough, I just went and looked it up and the bulk of the description does not fit me at all... unless I do some real mental gymnastics to make it fit, which is what's required to be a follower of astrology. Twist the meaning of the words or the interpretation of my own experiences to align with a bias to believe in horoscopes.

I apologize for coming in so hot previously, but if you're going to post about it on a skate forum then you have to accept that non-believers are free to chime in as well. Astrology most certainly is a comfort for people who want to find some deeper, mystical meaning for why they do and say the things they do, and it's also largely used as a way to make one feel part of a group - particularly the connection to celebrities. The one thing you will always hear followers of astrology saying is "Oh - so and so is a Libra too - we're so alike!", as evidenced by this thread. The desire to find some way to make yourself seemingly closer to a celebrity is obviously important to a lot of astrology fans. "I'm not just an average Joe - I'm a Libra and so is _______ - we have so much in common!".

Personally, I think society's obsession with celebrities is a very undesirable trait, so that's probably another reason I'm not a fan of astrology. You know when some skater tries to name drop and say he "was skating with Tiago the other day", when he was actually just skating at the same spot, that's the same as saying you share a sign with some celebrity. Desperately grasping for something that makes you feel like you're associated with someone famous. Women tend to be more celebrity obsessed than men, which is why all the celebrity gossip mags are marketed to women, and a large portion of that media is dedicated to making the reader feel connected to celebrities. It's no coincidence that women are also the main followers of astrology.

Hope that all came across a bit more respectful than my previous posts on the subject. 

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 682
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
Aquarius sun & Cancer moon

Which is why, as I'm sure many have noticed, I'm such a bitch but also such a sap.

it's the other way around. I get really flaccid when i see people making decisions based on fairy tale and push it onto others. It's not as harmless as it looks.
Astrology is a scam and it's used to steal money from naive people. It leads to discrimination when it's used to hire people or find a partner. It's even worse when politicians base their decisions on it (Reagan was really into it for instance, French president in the 80s was too).

It's a duty to dismantle such beliefs. It's a plague of the mind

Digital Rasta

« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2020, 11:29:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's important to note that what Astrology says about people is fundamental and not always obvious or specific. You have to look deeper than the surface of one's personality to understand where they are coming from and what makes them similar to other people with their sign. For example, you are a Leo, and you seem to have a curious nature and a gentlemanly demeanor.
[close]

Actually, one of the key traits of astrology is that all the descriptions of characteristics etc are very broad and able to be applied to anyone in most cases, such as the one you just used. This is common knowledge, even to many people who follow astrology.  You'd be hard pressed to find a human who would say they don't have a curious nature, and the gentlemanly demeanor just means you're respectful/polite, which almost anyone would say about themselves. For example, astrology says I'm a Cancer, which comes with a whole laundry list of supposed characteristics and personality traits that, if I wanted to, I could find a way to relate to my own personality. But interestingly enough, I just went and looked it up and the bulk of the description does not fit me at all... unless I do some real mental gymnastics to make it fit, which is what's required to be a follower of astrology. Twist the meaning of the words or the interpretation of my own experiences to align with a bias to believe in horoscopes.

I apologize for coming in so hot previously, but if you're going to post about it on a skate forum then you have to accept that non-believers are free to chime in as well. Astrology most certainly is a comfort for people who want to find some deeper, mystical meaning for why they do and say the things they do, and it's also largely used as a way to make one feel part of a group - particularly the connection to celebrities. The one thing you will always hear followers of astrology saying is "Oh - so and so is a Libra too - we're so alike!", as evidenced by this thread. The desire to find some way to make yourself seemingly closer to a celebrity is obviously important to a lot of astrology fans. "I'm not just an average Joe - I'm a Libra and so is _______ - we have so much in common!".

Personally, I think society's obsession with celebrities is a very undesirable trait, so that's probably another reason I'm not a fan of astrology. You know when some skater tries to name drop and say he "was skating with Tiago the other day", when he was actually just skating at the same spot, that's the same as saying you share a sign with some celebrity. Desperately grasping for something that makes you feel like you're associated with someone famous. Women tend to be more celebrity obsessed than men, which is why all the celebrity gossip mags are marketed to women, and a large portion of that media is dedicated to making the reader feel connected to celebrities. It's no coincidence that women are also the main followers of astrology.

Hope that all came across a bit more respectful than my previous posts on the subject.
Apology accepted. Glad you've decided to rejoin the discussion in a respectful way. Some people are not intellectually curious and certainly not everyone is a gentleman or tries to come across as one. Aren't you Canadian? That kind of explains your perspective there a bit too. Being a Cancer is one of the harder archetypes to accept, especially for men because almost all of Cancer's traits are characteristics that are prized and appreciated more in women. All Signs are masculine or feminine and Cancer is one of the most feminine and motherly. You read about your Sun sign but your birth chart is also your Moon and other planets, there's more to an astrological profile than just your Cancer Sun. You mentioned belief in horoscopes- I have not mentioned Horary Astrology at all and I am not interested in using Astrology to plan my day and make mundane decisions based on it. Horoscopes are to real Astrology what TV evangelists are to real religious thinkers. It's popular crap and I do not recommend reading horoscopes at all. I read books written by real astrologers some of whom write in such a metaphysically esoteric manner that I don't think people with a lesser grasp of Astrological principles would be able to understand. My point is there is deep heavy astrology written by knowledgeable people and there is 'Pop Astrology' which is what you see in women's magazines. I think cricketclub made a good observation that women are more interested in trying to understand who people are and why they are that way. I am certainly not obsessed with celebrities I couldn't care less about 90% of popular culture. So yeah it's lame that people latch on to famous names they admire but I just wanted to add the celebrity b-days for people who don't follow astrology but still would like to read the thread and contribute... and I'm glad I did because I got a good laugh out of Pine having the same DOB as Michael Jackson and GG Allin. Imagine if either of those dudes skated. BTW didn't you kinda start this argument with a name drop? You said something about Kalis and Sheffey like you knew them both. You seem to be against some of the traits you see in yourself. My brother is a Cancer and also my best friend so I'm very familiar with the archetype.

Glurmpz

« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2020, 01:04:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
BTW didn't you kinda start this argument with a name drop? You said something about Kalis and Sheffey like you knew them both.

I was responding to someone about the video clip they saw, saying if you ever met either you'd be able to guess which one was into astrology, but my wording does definitely sound like I'm insinuating I've met both - my bad there. Never met DGKalis. But as a qualifier for that, I've worked in the industry for many years so being around pros is normal and not something there's any reason to brag about.

I read something interesting today, from the perspective of an asian woman who isn't a fan of astrology - a big part of it for her was that it's whole goal of trying to categorize people based on misguided preconceptions is akin to the reasoning behind racism. She takes great offense to someone trying to tell her about herself based on some wild theory that everyone born on the same day will be the same sort of person. I get that - but for me it's offensive in the same way I take offense to someone who believes in the Flat Earth trying to 'school' me and insinuate I'm less intelligent for believing in proven science over debunked theories. To insinuate that I give any credence to his silly belief is insulting to my intelligence, in essence. That's exactly how I feel about astrology. Hey, fine if you want to follow it - but once you start trying to speak as if the assumptions made by astrology are based on anything factual, that's when I feel it's necessary to call it out.

Thanks for the response.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:20:01 PM by Glurmpz »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »
Astrology is silly. I just pray into my hat to an invisible man in the sky for guidance.

so much truth to this  8)

DaGOAT

• Rep: -109
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm a Sagittarius, we do everything quickly, our biggest flaw is not thinking through the implications of what we say before we say it. Sag leaves a lot of broken hearts and bruised egos in our wake because of our foot-in-mouth disease. It's something I've been trying to work on for a long time. I'm proud to consider myself a thoughtful communicator. Sag is the only sign depicted holding a weapon (a bow and arrow) and we can be harshly critical of ourselves and others. There are a great number of super funny Sag comedians though, like Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison, whose comedic styles live on the edge of sanity and show a nervous temperament. Libra is however the funniest sign in my opinion.

On whether it's a lifestyle or a hobby, it is kind of uncategorizable like skateboarding. I came to believe in it because I had a girlfriend who liked to tell me about it, and I worked in a restaurant that had a list of all the employee's birthdays on the wall. I memorized everybody's Signs and through paying close attention to people's behavior I was able to see patterns start to emerge. 15 years later and it's still something I think about every day, to understand my own and other peoples desires and motivations, to know what perspective they are coming from and the basic way in which they interact with the world around them. It's important to note that what Astrology says about people is fundamental and not always obvious or specific. You have to look deeper than the surface of one's personality to understand where they are coming from and what makes them similar to other people with their sign. For example, you are a Leo, and you seem to have a curious nature and a gentlemanly demeanor. Leo is a sign of Kings and a very charming character. They say if we still lived without laws and modern society and lived in the forests and plains, if humanity never developed into what it is today, Leos would rule the world through the right of Kings.

/thread

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I stay away from astrology because its a form of eugenics.   People like Hitler and CEO's of billion dollar companies use them because most people are easily manipulated by similar commonalities in construct that is astrological signs... like likes like.  There isn't any measurable / repeatable results in astrology its all based on expectations.  It's like if a chemist came up with theories that could not be falsifiable. 

Its an archaic form of understanding human behavior...there are more modern and updated practices

Glurmpz

« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

OK - so I bolded some things for a few reasons.

Mostly, I bolded lines that sound exactly like women's magazine horoscopes, so I fail to see the difference between the so called "pop astrology" and whatever you follow, seeing as you end up making the same sort of statements.

The other bolded section is in regards to making assumptions about other people based on astrology. That's literally a form of prejudice and deeply flawed - you're doing others a huge disservice by trying to judge them based on a long since debunked means of analyzing human behavior. You're also doing yourself a disservice by creating false narratives for the actions of others and yourself. Purposely living in a fantasy world instead of accepting reality.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
I get that it's getting kind of exhausting living in a world where people believe in Flat Earth and QAnon and everybody's an anti-vaxxer or a Scientologist or a doomsday prepper. This world is really fucking weird right now and America is the epicenter of it. I think something like Astrology that could be useful as a tool for people to better understand each other, that should be welcomed at a time like this when everyone is divided by race, age, gender, class, nationality and so on. Believing in Astrology is sort of predicated on the belief that most people around the world have more in common than they have differences, they go hand in hand. I think it brings people together when people with wisdom and maturity talk or write about it.

Digital Rasta

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2020, 02:03:31 PM »
Glurmpz, no offense but you seem like someone who is overly defensive, easily threatened, overbearing in his opinions and intent on coming across as having a tough exterior. What exactly are these harsh realities you think Astrology is a form of shelter from? That life has no meaning and we're all just sentient bags of shit? The world is a harsh place whether you believe in Signs or not. Why does it bother you so much that someone might be insulting your intelligence or assuming you're not as smart as you consider yourself? I'm not threatened or intimidated by you basically calling me a gullible moron because I believe in something you don't. Nobody can convince me I'm not an intelligent, rational person and I know my beliefs make sense
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:10:22 PM by Digital Rasta »

Glurmpz

« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »
Glurmpz, no offense but you seem like someone who is overly defensive, easily threatened, overbearing in his opinions and intent on coming across as having a tough exterior. What exactly are these harsh realities you think Astrology is a form of shelter from? That life has no meaning and we're all just sentient bags of shit? The world is a harsh place whether you believe in Signs or not. Why does it bother you so much that someone might be insulting your intelligence or assuming you're not as smart as you consider yourself? I'm not threatened or intimidated by you basically calling me a gullible moron because I believe in something you don't. Nobody can convince me I'm not an intelligent, rational person and I know my beliefs make sense

I'm just discussing this, and I take it seriously because misinformation is getting out of control in our current times. If you want a circle jerk of astrology followers, go to an astrology message board. You posted this on the main page of a skate message board, so it's fair game for those of us who live in the real world to critique. You can't prove anything about how astrology works because it's a remnant of ancient times when people were very limited in intellect and literally thought the stars were gods. It's very foundations are flawed in the sense that humankind has long since learned what the stars and other celestial bodies really are, and we understand they have no connection to human personalities. You're pushing tabloid paper rubbish, my friend.

I still appreciate the response, though I'm not big on that opening line - is that my Cancer personality run down? lol.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2020, 02:25:25 PM »
Who they attractin' with that line

"What's your name? What's your sign?"