Author Topic: Indicating to avoid skatepark collisions  (Read 1293 times)

slugslug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Indicating to avoid skatepark collisions
« on: August 08, 2020, 08:22:08 AM »
If I'm at the park at headed straight towards someone, and they are headed straight towards me, lately I have been touching my hands together, palm to palm, with fingers parallel to the ground, my fingertips pointing to where I'm planning to go. Since I've been doing this my number of collisions with scooter kids has been down like %300.

I'm wondering if other people have methods of indicating where they're going in these moments? Humbly give this a try if you keep running into people/both turning the same way.

ch chcch ch cheers

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Indicating to avoid skatepark collisions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
the most reason scooter kids are disliked
- lack of awareness
-lack of scooter/bike/board control

if they cant see you, they won't see your hand signals

Lost cause

generally ill just purposely swerve on them a bit and tell them to watch out in a nice manner - keeps them aware for like a good 30-45 minutes

at the end of the day, there just kids having fun
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
It only rarely works with scooter kids but with other skaters I just naturally point in the direction of my line with my arm or wave it around so they know which way I'm going to get around them and they should not go. The later never seems to be interpreted wrong so maybe I pair it up with a spontaneous facial expression that makes it clear I'm the one heading that way, and that I'm not expecting them to.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:54:18 AM by silhouette »

Hombreezy

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
I just stare straight ahead exactly where I want to go. 99% of the time everyone gets out unscathed. Only deer in the headlights type people or dumb little kids playing chicken get knocked over

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »
almost every time I see someone going for the same obstacle I just let them go for it and hop off my board or go another way

slugslug

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »
I just stare straight ahead exactly where I want to go. 99% of the time everyone gets out unscathed. Only deer in the headlights type people or dumb little kids playing chicken get knocked over

Yeah, this was my strategy forever. I'm trying to add an extra layer of yo I'm going to go in THIS direction

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 11:36:39 AM »
Just whip your junk out. They'll get the message and avoid you henceforth.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 11:51:58 AM »
Yesterday at the park there were two twins. Prob about 12 years old. Thick glasses and hooded sweat shirts tucked under bike helmets. They did not know how to skate but were trying hard. Anyway, one of them kept getting in my way. Eventually, I knew a collision had to happen and I mashed right through him. I hate to be that guy but some lessons have to be learned the hard way. I'm close to 200lbs and when we collided I was able to stay on my board and keep pushing, dragging him a little by my ankle, along the ground. He was OK.

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 11:59:10 AM »
Yesterday at the park there were two twins. Prob about 12 years old. Thick glasses and hooded sweat shirts tucked under bike helmets. They did not know how to skate but were trying hard. Anyway, one of them kept getting in my way. Eventually, I knew a collision had to happen and I mashed right through him. I hate to be that guy but some lessons have to be learned the hard way. I'm close to 200lbs and when we collided I was able to stay on my board and keep pushing, dragging him a little by my ankle, along the ground. He was OK.

its for the better

saves him from a major collision later

but yeah that's how i learned - i was being a dickhead and got rammed on purpose

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »
I like the /\ pointing of my arms at which directions I'm heading for if not singing a chorus of Kind Diamond Grandma what was it like?! yes you get painted as nutbag but it saves them getting runover by me.  If not a stern talking to like hey man you need to watch out!
Dueces Bitch's

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 03:42:16 PM »
i'm a street skater, i don't skate the park but when i do i use the technique of whenever someone comes near me i act like i'm doing a 360 flip but i only spin it 270 and out in front of me. With this i can give deliver a massive shinner to anyone with 6 feet of me 90% of the time.

Note sometimes with scooter kids the bar off the scooter gets in the way, to give them the most effective shinners you do a 540 flip at them instead, this way even if it hits the bar it will keep rotating and get them in the shin just as hard.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 04:08:47 PM »
I just skate around brandishing a large knife and people mostly stay out of my way. 

OldCandy

• cant shuv
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 08:45:23 PM »
I just skate around brandishing a large knife and people mostly stay out of my way.

the bigger the blade, the harder your dong will swing during flatground  :-* :-*

thomas kook

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 02:36:44 AM »
i get confused. sometimes i'll point to the right, but forget if i'm supposed to go or the guy i'm pointing to and i'll just step off. i've never thought of myself as a passive guy but i'm gonna ponder my ass off now

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 02:49:57 AM »
i'm a street skater, i don't skate the park but when i do

lol, classic

thomas kook

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 03:35:15 AM »
i'd sig that if i didn't miss SFB so much

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 06:00:53 AM »
lol this is the correct way to skate a park.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »
Do you yell "I'm standing my ground!" while you do it?

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Do you yell "I'm standing my ground!" while you do it?

Only if I feel like I'll make whatever I'm trying soon and I could really use some extra space to concentrate.

Seriously though, when it comes to this sort of thing, an ounce of prevention, etc. Look out where people are before you go, pay attention to who else is getting ready to go, and be ready to change your line if you have to. Otherwise just look where you're headed and don't freeze up when you're headed toward someone else.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1218
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »
I’ve been doing this one lately but it hasn’t been very effective:

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Brguy

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 03:50:33 AM »
Not the same scenario, but I signal a lot when I'm on the streets for drivers to know I'm not regular and just pass me already so I can resume pushing in the middle of the street.

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 08:39:34 PM »
The park I skate most is circular so a lot of young scoot kids will just loop endlessly without pause.
If they're really young, I'll go up nicely and say "Hey I'm just in this one spot can you stay on the other side of the park so I don't run into you?" Or some other way to make them see that there's etiquette to being at the park.
If that fails, I usually shout watch out when they get close but not in an overtly mean way.
If that fails, I'll just do my thing without regarding them.

There have been times where I've had to confront parents. Telling them, look I've been standing here patiently while your kid has been zipping around for the last 10 minutes non-stop. It usually does the trick. However, there have been times when parents get confrontational over it. Coach dads and tiger moms have tunnel vision when their kid is involved so that's when I bust out the speakerbox and play some shitty music on it. Most of the time though, the younger crowd will take care of the little guys before I have to get involved.

Baswell Cerry

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »
i'm a street skater, i don't skate the park but when i do i use the technique of whenever someone comes near me i act like i'm doing a 360 flip but i only spin it 270 and out in front of me. With this i can give deliver a massive shinner to anyone with 6 feet of me 90% of the time.

Note sometimes with scooter kids the bar off the scooter gets in the way, to give them the most effective shinners you do a 540 flip at them instead, this way even if it hits the bar it will keep rotating and get them in the shin just as hard.

The fuck is wrong with you homie? Kids on scooters,really? You're an adult and flipping your board at some scooter kid is only going to chip your shit up and ruin your deck. Just trip em lol
[Applause]

SlapRhaters

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The fuck is wrong with you homie? Kids on scooters,really? You're an adult and flipping your board at some scooter kid is only going to chip your shit up and ruin your deck. Just trip em lol

You regular as fuck bro, if i trip them they won't even know why it happened, however if i flip the board into them looking like a missed tre they will learn skateboards are unpredictable and leave more space.

Not to mention the whole tripping a young kid leading to being charged with assaulting a minor as if that's somehow better then possibly chipping a board ..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:41:28 PM by SlapRhaters »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
You're kinda not suppose to call people 'retaraded'......

There's a point where if there are way more scooters than skaters....it's their's.....

I try to go early....somewhat engage the kids so then I don't feel so bad when I tell them to move....it's about connection... Usually if they are doing tricks you can figure out where they might be going.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
Pick one and make an example out of them

I’m kidding I usually point with my whole arm and yell I’m going that way I really do
listen to cosmic psychos

SlapRhaters

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 08:32:22 PM »

There's a point where if there are way more scooters than skaters....it's their's.....

I try to go early....somewhat engage the kids so then I don't feel so bad when I tell them to move....it's about connection... Usually if they are doing tricks you can figure out where they might be going.
I kinda don't care lol although considering you don't know how to spell it you probably qualify for it which is pretty rough for you.

Brguy

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »

It really all comes down to how many kids are you willing to trample for a decent skate session.