Author Topic: post 2000 "punk"  (Read 4517 times)

yeahsure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
post 2000 "punk"
« on: March 30, 2007, 05:22:06 PM »
leftover crack and new 7seconds only good bands since. 

Wooderson

• Rep: -16
  • pearl rips
Re: post 2000 "punk"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 05:27:54 PM »
agent orange is pretty good
You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »
Bullshit

Fucked Up
Career Suicide
Cursed
World Burns to Death
Against Me!
Hot Snakes
From Ashes Rise
Tragedy
I could go on

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:13:29 AM »
new propagandhi
this bike is a pipebomb had 3 way tie for a fifth
defiance ohio

89-90pistons

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »
Bullshit

Fucked Up
Career Suicide
Cursed
World Burns to Death
Against Me!
Hot Snakes
From Ashes Rise
Tragedy
I could go on
against me! is one of my all-time favorites, I'm stoked I got them to do an interview for my zine.

john

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »

skatemore,man

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 07:14:35 PM »
rancid stil makes good music.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 07:36:09 PM »
new propagandhi
defiance ohio

i consider propagandhi to be more of a political thrash metal band,,,there one of my favorite bands period.....there lyrics are pretty much the most meaningful lyrics in the last 2 decades...

89-90pistons

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »
rancid stil makes good music.
are you kidding?

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • reptiles
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »
Expand Quote
new propagandhi
defiance ohio

[close]

i consider propagandhi to be more of a political thrash metal band,,,there one of my favorite bands period.....there lyrics are pretty much the most meaningful lyrics in the last 2 decades...

recently i would agree with you. i've heard them desribe themselves as metal kids playing punk rock. how to clean everything and less talk though are more punk then their latest 2. i'm pretty pysched on the new one they're recording. they got a second guitarist so it's probably going to wail. i would also like to add lucero and this is my fist to the list.

loudwizard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 11:00:46 AM »
Le Shok and Wrangler Brutes both made at least one pretty great punk album.

quite a bit of good garage punk has been made post-2000 as well...

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new propagandhi
defiance ohio

[close]

[close]

recently i would agree with you. i've heard them desribe themselves as metal kids playing punk rock. how to clean everything and less talk though are more punk then their latest 2. i'm pretty pysched on the new one they're recording. they got a second guitarist so it's probably going to wail. i would also like to add lucero and this is my fist to the list.

less talk was definetly punk sounding some of how to clean everything was too except for the guitar tracks on that album were pretty metal oriented

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »
Bobby you actually consider Cursed and Tragedy punk rock?  Totally agree they rule along with Fucked Up though.

Absolutely. They're a reminder that to some people, hardcore isn't about wearing Champion shirts and thinking you're cooler than kids who wear tight pants.

This Bike is a Pipe Bomb and Defiance, Ohio are great bands.

I suppose I don't really listen to Propagandhi, but I never really thought of them as thrash-punk. I would reserve that title for World Burns to Death, Skitsystem, etc.

89-90pistons

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 03:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Bobby you actually consider Cursed and Tragedy punk rock?  Totally agree they rule along with Fucked Up though.
[close]

Absolutely. They're a reminder that to some people, hardcore isn't about wearing Champion shirts and thinking you're cooler than kids who wear tight pants.

don't forget the mosh shorts.

CRO MAG

• Rep: -1
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 03:19:18 PM »
Leftover Crack fucking sucks.

Fucked Up is definitely one of the best punk bands of this decade.  While I still haven't come around to completely liking Hidden World, I respect it.  All the 7"s kick fucking ass.

Cursed and Tragedy are definitely punk rock.  Especially Tragedy.  I like Attempted Suicide better than CS's old stuff.

sergio

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »
fucked up

fuckingvegan

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 09:18:27 PM »
Tragedy is punk. Still have not gotten the last cd, need to pick it up.

89-90pistons

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 12:39:38 PM »
I was always a big fan of trail of dead, but "so divided" kind of makes me sleep.

backtoschool

• Rep: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 01:15:13 PM »
There's a new 7 Seconds?
Strike Anywhere would be my pick for newer "punk" bands. Not sure what's up with Rise Against lately, but some of their albums since 2000 have been decent.

89-90pistons

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 01:53:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There's a new 7 Seconds?
Strike Anywhere would be my pick for newer "punk" bands. Not sure what's up with Rise Against lately, but some of their albums since 2000 have been decent.
i've been a rise against fan since I saw them while touring for "the unraveling", but their sound has definitly changed on the last two albums. I'm glad they're making money now, its just a shame to see another talented band get ruined by a major label. Have you heard their side project called The Killing Tree?

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • reptiles
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 08:46:26 PM »
i don't really know if rise against are making that much more money. sure you see their shit all over but when you go to the bigger labels you usually get a smaller cut. that's why when bands like rise against or against me! do these weird "sell out" moves it's like they didn't even sell out for enough to be worth it. it's not like they're blowing up hot topic with their merch (at least i don't think.)

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • reptiles
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 08:47:27 PM »
also eat this mckinley is rad. and if you ever get the chance to see los gatos negro then do it. and buy their cd because you can only buy it from them live.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 09:13:10 PM »
good riddance?  dillinger four?  kid dynamite?  shook ones?  banner pilot?  the lawrence arms?  the falcon?  none more black?  strike anywhere maybe?

89-90pistons

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 11:02:12 PM »
i don't really know if rise against are making that much more money. sure you see their shit all over but when you go to the bigger labels you usually get a smaller cut. that's why when bands like rise against or against me! do these weird "sell out" moves it's like they didn't even sell out for enough to be worth it. it's not like they're blowing up hot topic with their merch (at least i don't think.)
Against me! hasn't really sold out, I seen them at a coffee shop three weeks ago. Major label or not, if any band would not completly change for a lable, I'd hope it'd be these guys.

But rise against used the only accoustic song they've done for their first raido single, and now their playing stadiums. They're singing the same songs, they just sound diffrent.

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
Bullshit

Fucked Up
Career Suicide

I'll bet you're from Toronto.  Brutal Knights are pretty decent, and I loved Boyfriend Material (just broke up).

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 12:20:16 PM »
Actually, I'm from Michigan. I do think Toronto has good stuff to offer though. I haven't heard of Brutal Knights or Boyfriend Material, maybe I'll look them up.

Rise Against used to be a fun band, but they're pretty shitty now.

89-90pistons

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »
yeah the new one has a couple I can listen to, but its pretty blah.

as far as toronto goes, I went there this summer for the Grade reunion show at got robbed at gunpoint.

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • reptiles
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 04:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Against me! hasn't really sold out, I seen them at a coffee shop three weeks ago. Major label or not, if any band would not completly change for a lable, I'd hope it'd be these guys.

But rise against used the only accoustic song they've done for their first raido single, and now their playing stadiums. They're singing the same songs, they just sound diffrent.

their new stuff sounds totally differant from their older stuff. they play arena's too. i'm seeing them with mastodon and cursive (which will be bizarre) and i even sat through an anti-flag and rise against show they were playing. i've scoped them on mtv2 and have seen them on conan. they just seem to be on this bubble where they're not really hyped just big.

89-90pistons

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

their new stuff sounds totally differant from their older stuff. they play arena's too. i'm seeing them with mastodon and cursive (which will be bizarre) and i even sat through an anti-flag and rise against show they were playing. i've scoped them on mtv2 and have seen them on conan. they just seem to be on this bubble where they're not really hyped just big.
i also heard tom quit drinking, I'm supposed to be doing an interview with them for my zine, but i'm kinda lagging on in right now, but I'm pretty excited about the show with mastadon and cursive, I'm not to sure on what dates, but I know These Arms are snakes are playing the detroit show.