Author Topic: How often do you focus on improving tricks you have consistent already?  (Read 812 times)

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • Glue
Like the tricks you been doing since you started to really get the hang of skating, ollies, 180s,pop shuvs, kickflips etc etc and how often do you really process what you could do to improve them and put effort into experimenting. And how often, if ever, do you think about and focus on playing around and experimenting with anything else that might alter your individual style?

I'd be interested if anyone's got any insight to share as well about improving when you're already fairly proficient, like to be able to learn more efficiently during those solo sessions where you're really paying attention to every intricate movement that goes into a trick or whatever, and what areas or movements to focus on that make the biggest impact on improving and developing a better style

Lately I've been putting a lot of focus on trying to improve my ollie technique, and I'm getting a nice natural back foot tweak without even thinking about it, and I think it's starting to come through with other tricks like kickys, I'm just recently starting to deliberately incorporate that technique into them but I think I'm feeling it happen. Experimenting with my posture and shoulder positioning, and also the motion of swinging my arms up I think has made the biggest difference for me in achieving that, and I'm finding that for a lot of things I'm actually not having to put so much effort into popping and can focus on what I'm doing in the air more clearly. Another thing has been angling my popping foot to point a little more forwards to the front of the board. Both my back foot and the shoulder/posture change has really shifted my natural stance, my foot positioning and set up positioning feels really different to even  month ago but way more comfortable, and I almost never have my shoulders or anything "squared" with the board any more for anything unless it specifically needs it.

What's your secret for progressing?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:57:00 PM by wrTcHDfKN4nTZ »
Dude just pop...

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Going faster with basics fs shuv bs shuv lick flip heel flip bs 180 fs 180 ollies super fast. Nose slides both ways and consistently along with 50’s both ways and ledge basics.

Only troubles I have are 360 flips 360 rotations albeit ollies and such but I enjoy fakie 360 pivot trick.
Dueces Bitch's

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Rep: 3
  • Glue
Yeah that's a fun way to improve on control and build up to bigger shit, I was pracricing that a lot before we got locked down again here, gunning it down a bank doing 180s and other basics up a euro. At the moment I don't have much choice but to focus more on little things to do with technique and I'm getting real up in my head with it, but I think it's paying off, and when I get the chance to apply it in different settings where I can get some proper speed I think the pay off will be more obvious
Dude just pop...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Going faster with basics fs shuv bs shuv lick flip heel flip bs 180 fs 180 ollies super fast. Nose slides both ways and consistently along with 50’s both ways and ledge basics.

Only troubles I have are 360 flips 360 rotations albeit ollies and such but I enjoy fakie 360 pivot trick.

Going fast on ledges of all heights. Been able to improve my BS ollie into ledge tricks because my park only has knee high ledges (20 inches I think). On low ledges you can cheat on your BS tricks by slapping the truck on but with a higher ledge you really have to haul you ass up and onto the edge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
It really depends on the trick. Most of the time if I'm improving one that I already have down it's because I do it inefficient or pretty ugly. I used to have floppy kickflips until I learned to fully slide my foot instead of barely flicking. The best way i've found to improve on tricks you already know is watching the skaters who you want to emulate doing that trick and try to copy the technique.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Best way to continue improving tricks is just add them to the warm up routine. You'll constantly be doing the same tricks every session before you move onto a new one or skate a different obstacle

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
You need to do a trick clean at least 10 times a day and that's after you have it consistent. I do over 100 nollie flips a day to keep my flip out tricks consistent.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
So I skated back in the day and was a mega heelflip guy,couldn't kickflip but had a load of heelflip variations, stopped skating in 07ish.

Fast forward to 2020 and I start skating again, I was detirmined to learn kickflips in lockdown so buckled down and got them landed after a couple of days.

Ever since then I've been obsessed with them, like obsessed... I spend easily at least half an hour every single session just doing kickflips and fakie flips. At first I was detirmined to get them 100% persistent, but that has morphed into trying to perfect them and really play around with how I do the trick.

I haven't ever gone down the rabbit hole so much over one trick before, I think it's because I could never do them and now I can I want to chase the perfect flip.