Poll

Allen or Phillips Head Hardware?

Allen
Phillips

Author Topic: Allen or Phillips  (Read 3819 times)

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
Re: Allen or Phillips
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »
Expand Quote
i'm european and i forgot which is which so i prefer the blocky ones not the crossy ones
[close]

Blocky for life, fuck them dumbass crossy folks.

Seriously though I stumbled across 100ct boxes of 1" Allen for 48 cents each at grainger. Bought the last 5 of them in stock and haven't looked back since. They even have a wider head than shortys so they don't sink down into the holes.

Edit - looks like they're still available!

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/4XY14?cm_mmc=EMT-_-10339122

I am not the least bit surprised you have hardware for 125 trucks

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »
I like the kind that keep the truck connected to the board. It doesn't work if they aren't attached good.
No.

sketchyrider

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2020, 09:19:42 AM »
Allen definitely looks cooler, and i do believe you get better control over the torque. But a screwdriver is easier to hold, and there is something to the argument that phillips heads are more ubiquitous.

Probably will be sticking to phillips cause its simple and what i know.

Is it just bronze and indy for big headed bolts? I feel like i dig those little shortys heads in.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2020, 09:22:43 AM »
Fuck this thread. I do not need another skate part to be anal about.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2020, 03:55:25 PM »
Allen for life

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »

those have threading all the way up to the head, you want it to be smooth so it doesn't wear the holes of your deck down

They work fine, the head is big enough that they don't sink down into the holes the way most skate specific allen hardware does. The only thing that worried me at first is that they're made from a lighter metal, but I've been using it more or less exclusively for like a year now and zero issues. Maybe if you're jumping down huge sets it could be a problem but I haven't bent any yet which is more than I can say for mini logo hardware.

I am not the least bit surprised you have hardware for 125 trucks

I actually had one of those retail dimebag displays with all the little bags of phillips hardware at one point too. Got it for like $12 with free shipping on amazon. I just left little bags of hardware everywhere skate related I went until it was gone. Like Johnny Appleseed, except with bags of gross colored hardware.

Glurmpz

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2020, 04:36:10 PM »
If you're stripping your hardware bolts (not in the thread, in the head) you're tightening them wrong. You're supposed to turn the nut while holding the bolt in place. Maybe people who never use tools didn't realize that? If you tighten them enough so they're flush with the deck they shouldn't come loose. I haven't had a piece of hardware come loose since I was a kid.

I have some allen head ones right now but I prefer phillips because if the allen key slips out of the hole you fuck your knuckles up on the grip tape, which has never happened to me using a phillips screwdriver.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 04:53:16 PM by Glurmpz »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »
If you're stripping your hardware bolts (not in the thread, in the head) you're tightening them wrong. You're supposed to turn the nut while holding the bolt in place. Maybe people who never use tools didn't realize that?

Made me question that post about the heads messing up griptape...who the fuck tightens skate [or any] hardware by the bolt?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2020, 06:40:16 PM »
I want some of those Canadian square ones
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2020, 10:22:51 PM »
So vice grips and screw driver is wrong?

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2020, 10:38:26 PM »
a good friend of mine once said to me about 15 years ago "i don't know how you rock phillips hardware, looks like a construction site down there" and it's been allen ever since
:) I must have been tripping last night

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2020, 12:21:03 AM »
Allen definitely looks cooler, and i do believe you get better control over the torque. But a screwdriver is easier to hold, and there is something to the argument that phillips heads are more ubiquitous.

Probably will be sticking to phillips cause its simple and what i know.

Is it just bronze and indy for big headed bolts? I feel like i dig those little shortys heads in.

Only if you are Chase Gabor. With a Phillips head you always need to apply pressure at the right angle.
How is that easier to hold compared to the L shaped tool that comes with Allen bolts?
You can just rotate that fucker in the beginning till it's down enough and then just hold it with no pressure whatsoever because its locked and Rotate the rest from the bolt side until its flush and not get the griptape swirls.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2020, 12:46:12 AM »
Well, i got the best of both worlds. I'm still using a 13 years old philips screw from my first setup.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2020, 12:50:10 AM »
I'd love some torx bolts.
Other then that, Allen all the way

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »
ODI.....

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2020, 11:15:20 AM »
7/8 allen, use what you like it all does the same thing.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »
Whenever I set up a pair of allen bolts, the whole board looks like a toy to me. I like toys, but I prefer my boards to feel like it can end me and whoever tries to tame that beast.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2020, 05:02:20 PM »

Where my Robinson heads at?

Seriously though... I think the only reason this hasn't taken off is because most skate tools come with an Allen head and Phillips head, not Robertson. Robertson (square) screw heads are the superior hardware choice, and I would love to see them in the skate market. but if you forget your tool or your special screwdriver..forget about adjusting your hardware on the session.

Do American stores even carry Robertson?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2020, 09:07:13 PM »
It's not just skateboarding.....the US could give a shit about the square...

Nicki

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2020, 11:25:10 PM »
7/8 Allen Shorty's

7/8 Allen Shorty’s Silverado’s. Without them my whole setup is off.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »

I know.. they refuse to use Torx or Robertson. Get with it yankees

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2020, 11:46:44 AM »
I take a chaotic neutral approach and run each on different boards. I can’t run both on the same setup though, that’d be chaotic evil.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
currently mixing and matching different allen and phillips on the main setup, different lengths too. absolute madman shit i know.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »
combihead ftw

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2020, 03:08:42 PM »
How are you stripping Phillips heads over Allens? Allen wrenches are super uncomfortable and so easy to strip the bolt and turn it into a circle that’s completely unusable.

Hanna Schygulla

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
Phillips. Part of it is that I don't find using Allen wrenches to be pleasurable, but mostly it's aesthetics. The other slight factor is that way, way back, my family had several Phillips screwdrivers all around the house, but no Allen (or at least one that wasn't hidden in some corner of the garage), so I would have really needed to keep track of and stay on top of not misplacing my own, which would have been a pain. Another angle is I think that I kind of equated Allen with Grindking, which were awful, although from this vantage point the Allen aspect was probably their most legitimate aspect. Historically, I know that the Grindking kingpin modification on Indys was popular and absolutely had its merits functionally, but if I don't really like Allen hardware visually, I find an Allen kingpin to look especially offensive.

The psychological aspects at play here in the aesthetics preference are interesting and kind of hard to fully parse. For me, the Allen hexagon basically registers as a hole, especially standing on a board, and my mind somehow doesn't jive with the holes (although I'm otherwise not among those with that general hole phobia). I guess Phillips visually seem more solid. Some might see Allen as looking cleaner, but to me a six-sided hole is a lot busier then a small "x".

As an aside, for the past several years I've maintained two (non-repro) late-'80s/early-early '90s set-ups that I fully skate using era-appropriate NOS Truss head (Phillips) hardware, and when I go back to my contemporary board, I really miss feeling the hardware – I like the physical sensation when skating. I haven't tried using Truss head on a popsicle, but I wonder if my mind will respond negatively to the visual discrepancy of "mixing eras" – I don't think so, but maybe the proportion will seem off on a smaller, in several ways more streamlined set up? There's this weird balance thing at play in all of this. I conceptually don't have an issue with mixing eras, and I actually fundamentally welcome moving beyond any status quos, but, as an example, I don't respond to seeing shaped/directional/repro decks with a non-conical wheel. I don't really like that I have an issue with this, but I haven't been able to ever like an example of this, despite trying to be looser about it. I'm also currently in a place though where I just prefer conical wheels in general, UNLESS a crook of any type is being done on a ledge or curb, in which case both functionally and visually I want to see a rounded, Spitfire classic shape.
I've been skating conical fulls for a long time now, and I exclusively do (a lot of) nosegrinds (from all four stances – just to be clear, this isn't from a hellride perspective) and no crooked grinds. It works hand-in-hand though because I prefer nosegrinds to crooks; on a small level I think being on top of the grind feels more legitimate and fleshed-out, otherwise I would rather opt to do a noseslide.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
If any of you filthy philips-head philistines wants to crawl out of the shadows and into the light and are worried about not having an Allen key, PM me and I will personally send you a free Allen key in an envelope to help start you on your journey.

Love the sinner, not the sin.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2020, 05:44:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know.. they refuse to use Torx or Robertson. Get with it yankees

I take offense to this. I build decks, treehouses, desks, etc. with Torx screws. They are the best for use on treated wood. No need for a star key for skateboard bolts.

I only use Phillips cause that is what was common in the late 80s and Allen heads just looks too polished to me. My skating isn’t technical so I don’t think Allen bolts suit me. Plus, they are twice the money. Why? Is the tooling twice as expensive? I don’t get it.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2020, 12:56:07 PM »
Expand Quote
7/8 Allen Shorty's
[close]

7/8 Allen Shorty’s Silverado’s. Without them my whole setup is off.
Anyone know what other companies make the "low profile" nuts like on shorty's silverados or shorty's lights?  Having trouble finding some 7/8 shorty's rn

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2020, 06:43:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where my Robinson heads at?

Seriously though... I think the only reason this hasn't taken off is because most skate tools come with an Allen head and Phillips head, not Robertson. Robertson (square) screw heads are the superior hardware choice, and I would love to see them in the skate market. but if you forget your tool or your special screwdriver..forget about adjusting your hardware on the session.

Do American stores even carry Robertson?

First ive ever heard of it after working at a skate shop for 10 years but i am very interested now
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD