Author Topic: tyler bledsoe should have his tattoo machine revoked  (Read 9667 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
Re: tyler bledsoe should have his tattoo machine revoked
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The designs are fine, that dog is HUGE for where it is, could have been way smaller.

I dunno…. If I was a techy, capable pro like him I would focus on that gift. Tattooing is too serious to be a hobby, and the way he's doing it is offensive to the craft. Everyone wants to be a tattooer and it's messing things up for the people who actually made it their career. Back off, lil fella.

Dressen did it right, though, for the record.
[close]
In Tyler’s defense, he is doing right by drawing/painting a ton, getting good tattoos by people he respects, and going thru an apprenticeship. Dude seems truer to the craft than you are getting at. I do think that more time needs to be spent drawing, and that you shouldn’t show your first tattoos (maybe your very first as a “whoa look at this bad shit I did on my journey!?”) The way they’re being presented is where you’ve gotta check yourself. I’m also a firm believer that apprentice tattoos should only be done in spots that aren’t visible with a short sleeved shirt on.

Your second part about how popular tattooing is, is a whole other topic. I agree that there are way too many tattooers and that fucking anyone who thinks it “seems fun and cool” are just tattooers. Again, just like a lot of what I don’t like about the current state of skate, I’m blaming social media & mainly Instagram. Tattoos have become such a fashion accessory, they used to mean something and you had to fucking earn it. I’m almost entirely covered aside from my back, my forearms/Hands, and neck/face area. I can wear a tee shirt and pants and people would only see the tiniest bit of a tattoo. I’m not that way because of “job security” or what GenPop would think of me, I just don’t know if I’ve earned it yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, back to Tyler quick...I think he’s got a long way to go, but could be a decent tattooer. This dude who used to be a pro snowboarder Nick Dirks is a tattooer now, he did it the “right” way and his tattoos are great now, but man were some of his first tattoos shitty.
[close]

Interested what someone doing it right looks like with a timeline? I don't have much knowledge of the tattoo industry

When my buddy first took his apprenticeship, the dude he was under told him to come to the shop with his drawings/paintings and proof he could sustain life for 2 years without getting paid from the tattoo shop and the expectation to work in the shop every day his mentor was there(which was 6 days a week). Quit his job at Best Buy and showed up at the tattoo shop the next day.

He then drew book after book of almost every flash book ever produced. Rose after rose after rose after rose, anchor after anchor (and so on you get the point). Just getting his drawings down, line work, shading, B&W, color. Set up before every tattoo his mentor did, broke down after. Stood over his shoulder every tattoo. Even built coils and machines from scratch. Made repairs to machines. Soldered needles, ran the autoclave. Ran the mentors schedule. Every aspect of the job. Jabbed his own thighs with countless shit. I think he ended up getting turned loose around a year and a half.

This Bert Grimm repro was one of the first tattoo's he did once getting the green light. This is on my leg, done about 7 years ago with absolute dog shit after care as usual. EDIT:Granted my homie wasn't a pro skateboarder, even though he did skate, but I think the point is you have to devote your entire life to the craft. You can't be a pro skater and skilled tattooer on the side. At some point you'll have to pick one. My buddy started making bank tattooing and wasn't about to risk a sprained wrist and fuck up his income for skating.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:52:36 PM by arrbee »
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

BroBruhBra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2020, 12:32:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The designs are fine, that dog is HUGE for where it is, could have been way smaller.

I dunno…. If I was a techy, capable pro like him I would focus on that gift. Tattooing is too serious to be a hobby, and the way he's doing it is offensive to the craft. Everyone wants to be a tattooer and it's messing things up for the people who actually made it their career. Back off, lil fella.

[close]
In Tyler’s defense, he is doing right by drawing/painting a ton, getting good tattoos by people he respects, and going thru an apprenticeship. Dude seems truer to the craft than you are getting at. I do think that more time needs to be spent drawing, and that you shouldn’t show your first tattoos (maybe your very first as a “whoa look at this bad shit I did on my journey!?”) The way they’re being presented is where you’ve gotta check yourself. I’m also a firm believer that apprentice tattoos should only be done in spots that aren’t visible with a short sleeved shirt on.

Your second part about how popular tattooing is, is a whole other topic. I agree that there are way too many tattooers and that fucking anyone who thinks it “seems fun and cool” are just tattooers. Again, just like a lot of what I don’t like about the current state of skate, I’m blaming social media & mainly Instagram. Tattoos have become such a fashion accessory, they used to mean something and you had to fucking earn it. I’m almost entirely covered aside from my back, my forearms/Hands, and neck/face area. I can wear a tee shirt and pants and people would only see the tiniest bit of a tattoo. I’m not that way because of “job security” or what GenPop would think of me, I just don’t know if I’ve earned it yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, back to Tyler quick...I think he’s got a long way to go, but could be a decent tattooer. This dude who used to be a pro snowboarder Nick Dirks is a tattooer now, he did it the “right” way and his tattoos are great now, but man were some of his first tattoos shitty.
[close]

Interested what someone doing it right looks like with a timeline? I don't have much knowledge of the tattoo industry
[close]

When my buddy first took his apprenticeship, the dude he was under told him to come to the shop with his drawings/paintings and proof he could sustain life for 2 years without getting paid from the tattoo shop and the expectation to work in the shop every day his mentor was there(which was 6 days a week). Quit his job at Best Buy and showed up at the tattoo shop the next day.

He then drew book after book of almost every flash book ever produced. Rose after rose after rose after rose, anchor after anchor (and so on you get the point). Just getting his drawings down, line work shading B&W, color. Set up before every tattoo his mentor did, broke down after. Stood over his shoulder every tattoo. Even built coils and machines from scratch. Made repairs to machines. Soldered needles, ran the autoclave. Ran the mentors schedule. Every aspect of the job. Jabbed his own thighs with countless shit. I think he ended up getting turned loose around a year and a half.

This Bert Grimm repro was one of the first tattoo's he did once getting the green light. This is on my leg, done about 7 years ago with absolute dog shit after care as usual.

This is a great tattoo and demonstrates the right way to do things. Congrats to your friend!

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »
His tattoos don't look that bad to me.

I kinda like shitty tattoos. When they're too perfect it reminds me of Target home goods.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »
Everybody’s first tattoos suck.  Everybody’s.

From the little I have seen I was guessing he is doing it the traditional, accepted way. And I won’t say it’s the “right” way, I will say that you make more friends living in the dorms your freshman year than you will living off campus with your two buddies. 
As others have mentioned pretty sketchy line work and shading, but at first glance they are not that bad.  Colors pop pretty well but time and technique and aftercare may change that
Maybe instead of posting them on his own insta he could get the customers to just tag the shop and #apprentice #on the come up or something less “flexy.”

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2020, 02:09:09 PM »
I would get a tattoo from one of the best skateboarders of all time.

I’d rather get a tattoo from one of the best tattoo artists of all time.  This kid, at this point in his tattoo career, I would pay to do flat ground tricks in the parking lot?

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2020, 02:09:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Jesus it's no wonder industry people hate SLAP. Fuck off with this gatekeeper bullshit.
[close]

If some pro tattooer was trying to be a pro skater and was doing sketchy kickflips I would say the same thing. Cool to learn, but don't impose on someone else's profession. What really sucks is that in this scenario with Tyler he's hurting people both physically and mentally. Covering that shit up later, laser removal, getting over it sucks. Trust me.

Also, sketchy people will claim they learned on cadavers. Some have, most haven't. You can use synthetic skin, some fruit, and pig skin. It's best to do a few on yourself, on your thighs. Word to the wise, though.... put your stencil on while standing up. If you apply it while sitting down your skin is stretched and the design will shrink essentially once you stand up.

Swing and a miss...

You should trust this guy though GAY, since you dont have any tattoos LOL

Lisa96

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2020, 03:03:59 PM »
he's slowly improving but i'm counting on slap to keep tabs on his career

JPeterman

• Rep: 4
  • It'll always be Myanmar to me
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »
I've been tattooed by apprentices because they were cheaper and had some cool designs, but the work is definitely night and day compared to those who have been doing it for years.

Give the guy a break. You have to start out somewhere and he's doing it the right way, the people he's tattooing either know he's an apprentice or just want to get tattooed by Tyler Bledsoe.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2020, 04:31:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't have any tattoos and don't have any interest in getting one. But, unless you are talking about certain symbols that reference something (like gang, indigenous cultures, or military tattoos), why should anyone have to earn the right on what they put on their body?

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
I think that these are cute tattoos. Let him be himself.

Yeah I'm with this guy.

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 41
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »
People on here definitely take drawing on skin way too seriously.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

LaminateLarry

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
Looks like your average apprentice tattoos. Not worth posting. His paintings aren't bad. Not sure who's showing him how to tattoo, though.

LaminateLarry

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2020, 05:16:52 PM »

Yeah Eric does really good work. He had some great artists showing him how to tattoo.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »
ive been wanting a tat from him.

Happy, sorry

• Rep: -12
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2020, 05:48:36 PM »
Ok boomer

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2020, 07:16:48 PM »
you are a fucking kook. He is still learning. And personally I don't even think they look anywhere near bad.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »

babyyeezus

• Rep: -7
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2020, 08:41:58 PM »
I don’t know what’s wrong with those tattoos to you. I’d pay for one

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2020, 08:42:19 PM »
It’s his style. I like’em.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 163
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I don't have any tattoos and don't have any interest in getting one. But, unless you are talking about certain symbols that reference something (like gang, indigenous cultures, or military tattoos), why should anyone have to earn the right on what they put on their body?
Good question. I will say that this is my opinion, though it has been formed over years of being friends with tattooers, getting tattooed, and being married to a tattooer. It’s kind of a faux pas to just go straight to getting very visible tattoos without having a lot already. Like, getting your hands or neck done before you’re kitted our is kinda poser. I like to call it a Warped Tour bodysuit. It’s just for show, and in my mind, not earned. Personally I wouldn’t say Nyjah earned it either. He paid for a look, but I’d say someone with a ton of homie scratchers earned it more than Jah. Not sure if that answers your question at all, but cheers!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JPeterman

• Rep: 4
  • It'll always be Myanmar to me
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2020, 11:05:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
Good question. I will say that this is my opinion, though it has been formed over years of being friends with tattooers, getting tattooed, and being married to a tattooer. It’s kind of a faux pas to just go straight to getting very visible tattoos without having a lot already. Like, getting your hands or neck done before you’re kitted our is kinda poser. I like to call it a Warped Tour bodysuit. It’s just for show, and in my mind, not earned. Personally I wouldn’t say Nyjah earned it either. He paid for a look, but I’d say someone with a ton of homie scratchers earned it more than Jah. Not sure if that answers your question at all, but cheers!

With you 100% on that. Kinda cringe a bit when I see people with hand tattoos without the rest of their arms filled. Huge faux pas. I know a few tattoo artists who would straight out refuse that shit.

Skimper

• Rep: -64
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2020, 04:10:00 AM »
Eric Dressen and Chris Senn are the only tattoo slinging skateboarders that can actually do both.  Sorry Tyler, I liked your part in Hallelujah though.

What about the Godoy brothers Steve and Art, they are vert rippers and they're beast at giving tattoos.
Shalom

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Eric Dressen and Chris Senn are the only tattoo slinging skateboarders that can actually do both.  Sorry Tyler, I liked your part in Hallelujah though.
[close]

What about the Godoy brothers Steve and Art, they are vert rippers and they're beast at giving tattoos.
I've never actually checked out his tattoo work, but Adam McNatt is a professional tattooer now as well.

thefriscokid

• Rep: 6
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »

Theres a tattoo shop culture, i'm not really a big fan of it, seems like an elitist white male way of gatekeeping and tattooers are sad that anyone can buy a machine online now. To me its similar to the feeling of skating going mainstream,
I understand there's a lot of health concerns and a legit proper way to do tattoos but why does it have to be so exclusive ?
 the fact tattoo artist think theyre an elite special group of people is bullshit to me, when customers are mostly random strangers anyways ,
how are you supposed to have an apprenticeship for 2 years without being able to work another job? Without a trust fund or some kind of savings + investments, really doesnt add up to me
two times

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I've never actually checked out his tattoo work, but Adam McNatt is a professional tattooer now as well.

and Chris Senn (with Adam)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2020, 12:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Theres a tattoo shop culture, i'm not really a big fan of it, seems like an elitist white male way of gatekeeping and tattooers are sad that anyone can buy a machine online now. To me its similar to the feeling of skating going mainstream,
I understand there's a lot of health concerns and a legit proper way to do tattoos but why does it have to be so exclusive ?
 the fact tattoo artist think theyre an elite special group of people is bullshit to me, when customers are mostly random strangers anyways ,
how are you supposed to have an apprenticeship for 2 years without being able to work another job? Without a trust fund or some kind of savings + investments, really doesnt add up to me

Can't really relate tattooing to skateboarding. Its not really like skating going mainstream, but the people buying tattoo equipment from amazon and popping up over night are the equivalent of dudes that couldn't get a sponsor so they started their own wack ass company and turned themselves pro. "My homie does sleeves for $100" is kinda the same as "my buddies a pro skateboarder" and they're both trash.

Tattooers that come up under artists through apprenticeship "the proper way" would be equivalent to working the ranks from flow to am to pro.

As far as being an apprentice for a lengthy period its up to the mentor giving the green light. The mentor doesn't really have a lot to gain by taking an apprentice, unless they own a shop that is turning away walk in business everyday. Its a ton of work on the mentor checking over drawings and paintings and having this person report to you on a daily basis. Having this person over your shoulder, having to slow down while tattooing to explain shit to them. Also as a mentor your name is forever attached to this person you are apprenticing. The apprentice showing they can live without having another job shows dedication and commitment to learning. Shows they aren't going to waste the mentors time. At a certain point you can start selling your art and paintings, similar to what Tyler was doing.

Tattooing is an ol boys club just like skating. You have to pay dues to get respect, and often take shit very serious.

You think tattooers are gatekeepers, go talk to your local skateshop owner about opening your own shop 15 minutes from them and see what their response is. Keeping the numbers of tattooers or skateshops down keeps money in their pockets.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
I know a lot of tattoo artists are skeptical of ever giving someone a "career killer" as their first tat.

I just feel its people's bodies and yeah they can pay for a look, and get what they want. Unless it's a case of clear "stolen valor" such as copying a known symbol of a certain military branch, etc. Obviously, if I was the artist, I would be skeptical about giving 18-year-olds their first neck tat, face tat or even on their forearms.

I will say though if you really want to get a full-on sleeve, doesn't it make sense to get it all done at once if you have the cash, or at the very least have it mapped out. Instead of trying to blend in one-off tattoos, you might regret. I do agree with it being crazy in and fashionable trend at this point. Obviously, when anything that was deemed underground and mainstream, there will be pushback by people who have embraced it for years.

thefriscokid

• Rep: 6
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2020, 02:12:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Can't really relate tattooing to skateboarding. Its not really like skating going mainstream, but the people buying tattoo equipment from amazon and popping up over night are the equivalent of dudes that couldn't get a sponsor so they started their own wack ass company and turned themselves pro. "My homie does sleeves for $100" is kinda the same as "my buddies a pro skateboarder" and they're both trash.

Tattooers that come up under artists through apprenticeship "the proper way" would be equivalent to working the ranks from flow to am to pro.

As far as being an apprentice for a lengthy period its up to the mentor giving the green light. The mentor doesn't really have a lot to gain by taking an apprentice, unless they own a shop that is turning away walk in business everyday. Its a ton of work on the mentor checking over drawings and paintings and having this person report to you on a daily basis. Having this person over your shoulder, having to slow down while tattooing to explain shit to them. Also as a mentor your name is forever attached to this person you are apprenticing. The apprentice showing they can live without having another job shows dedication and commitment to learning. Shows they aren't going to waste the mentors time. At a certain point you can start selling your art and paintings, similar to what Tyler was doing.

Tattooing is an ol boys club just like skating. You have to pay dues to get respect, and often take shit very serious.

You think tattooers are gatekeepers, go talk to your local skateshop owner about opening your own shop 15 minutes from them and see what their response is. Keeping the numbers of tattooers or skateshops down keeps money in their pockets.

thank you for your explanation, i am not a professional tattoo artist so I cant really speak to it beyond my opinion.
All of those things makes sense, I understand people need to keep the market profitable and their time and work is worth every penny. Im not trying to take away from the difficulty and intricacy of the skill, just curious to learn more.
my homie who sucks at drawing started apprenticing and he's now all high and mighty about it and went from 0 tatts to looking like a sailors coloring book. 

If apprenticing is going flow to am to pro, how would it be like opening a shop?
What would be the equivalent of buying a board and learning how to skate?

Im just struggling to see why anyone can't learn join (hence Bledsoe),  maybe its more like being a blacksmith than a skater

two times

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2020, 06:42:18 PM »
The people excessively dogging his style are absolute cancer. Nothing on his insta is half as bad as the critiques on here. It's simple traditional and clearly simple traditional by somebody starting out. I have a friend that is an apprentice right now and an exceptional artist that has work that looks similar to this. Everybody calm the fuck down because it's not going on anybody that isn't willing to get it. I would let Tyler tattoo me if I had the opportunity. It's not great work necessarily but none of this is bad at all. Plus, even if it was, it's okay to get a bad tattoo.

The people talking the most shit on this thread don't have a true appreciation for tattooing and it shows.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:13:10 PM by Kanye Omari West »