Author Topic: Julian Davidson on Deathwish  (Read 11908 times)

Lowcalcium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
Re: Julian Davidson on Deathwish
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2020, 06:43:44 AM »
This is a huge surprise. But I'm really glad that Deathwish worked out for him. Julian is really good and deserves to be pro still.

I know he struggled really hard filming his "War and Peace" part due to injuries. But the dude has a good trick selection and style to boot. A welcomed surprise!!

tonysoprano

• Rep: -41
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2020, 07:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Lizard ain't that bad, his parts are pretty entertaining.
[close]
In this tyshawn documentary where his mom said lizard king was his favorite skater growing up. It was like hearing vincent touzery worshipped ragdoll growing up or something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q8gvaR5fWs&t=592s

Theres nothing cringeworthy about liking Lizard King or Ragdoll, if your under the age of 28-29 just know that you purely do not understand, both of them set the bar for what is gnarly in skateboarding and Ragdoll inspired an entire generation of skateboarders skate style and clothing.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2020, 07:08:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
In this tyshawn documentary where his mom said lizard king was his favorite skater growing up. It was like hearing vincent touzery worshipped ragdoll growing up or something like that.
[close]

Theres nothing cringeworthy about liking Lizard King or Ragdoll, if your under the age of 28-29 just know that you purely do not understand, both of them set the bar for what is gnarly in skateboarding and Ragdoll inspired an entire generation of skateboarders skate style and clothing.
28 year old here, was 13 when I first saw Slaughterhouse, qualifying all of this because it's important to say that Ragdoll and Lizard King were never anything more than subpar novelties who will be written out of skateboarding history sooner rather than later.

Anyways, good for Julian.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Why did they drop Furby?
[close]
If I recall correctly he left because no one was buying his boards.
Yezzur!

https://instagram.com/yezzurskateboards?igshid=34xmcrb40fas
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2020, 08:08:24 AM »
I thought this was gonna say he’s on Dark Star
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2020, 08:21:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
28 year old here, was 13 when I first saw Slaughterhouse, qualifying all of this because it's important to say that Ragdoll and Lizard King were never anything more than subpar novelties who will be written out of skateboarding history sooner rather than later.

I mean we're still talking about them 15 years later and Lizard King is still skateboarding and still a professional. Sure, they're both kooky but they were both doing lots of original things that no one else could do or thought to do. Ragdoll was definitely gimmicky with his stuff but Lizard was actually really talented on a board.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean we're still talking about them 15 years later and Lizard King is still skateboarding and still a professional. Sure, they're both kooky but they were both doing lots of original things that no one else could do or thought to do. Ragdoll was definitely gimmicky with his stuff but Lizard was actually really talented on a board.
Agreed, lizard started the concept of Kinda dork tricks, which is great. Gap to firecrackers and boardbashes and stuff. Those weren’t legit tricks until him.
Never cared for ragdoll.

Crazy to hear a ripping skater call out a guy i remember coming up as an influence.
I’m old😢

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2020, 08:58:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Agreed, lizard started the concept of Kinda dork tricks, which is great. Gap to firecrackers and boardbashes and stuff. Those weren’t legit tricks until him.
Never cared for ragdoll.

Crazy to hear a ripping skater call out a guy i remember coming up as an influence.
I’m old😢

Agreed. Call me lame but I think one-foot to front boards are genuinely rad, same with switch wallie japans.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Don't care for both, but I think they both have their place, novelty or not.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2020, 09:48:28 AM »
Setting aside the dubious claim that Lizard "started the concept of kinda dork tricks", I get why someone would not like either, but I don't understand disliking Ragdoll's skating, while still thinking LK is cool? And gap to firecrackers and board bashes specifically were tricks Ragdoll was doing in video parts, years before Lizard was known.

Ragdoll walked (or firecrackered), so Lizard King could run (or switch wallie japan or whatever).

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
Weird move for EE an JG to of themselves of Deathwish when they own and started the company, it also makes the team considerably worse. Both legends.

Brguy

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2020, 03:33:24 PM »
What's nice about lizard is that he usually does these dork tricks fast and on cool or big spots. And you can see it's kinda honest, it isn't like he has a huge bag of tricks and do this just for kooking, it really seems like he's doing the best he can with what he can do.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2154
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »
We talkin’ about Ragballs over here?!?
You remember that GoFundMe for his unfortunate skate related malady?
Ooof.
Come to think of it, prior to now, that’s the LAST TIME I heard anything about him. Wonder how that worked out.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Brguy

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2020, 05:33:28 PM »
We talkin’ about Ragballs over here?!?
You remember that GoFundMe for his unfortunate skate related malady?
Ooof.
Come to think of it, prior to now, that’s the LAST TIME I heard anything about him. Wonder how that worked out.
Maybe his ball grew so much it exploded.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2020, 06:01:41 PM »
I looooove Julian Davidson! I definitely back this! So sick!

Hell yeah I'd go as far as to say he's mad underrated

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 447
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2020, 06:51:41 PM »
Hopefully Deathwish can market Julian better than Element.
While he obviously has talent, he just seems to be stuck as the "middle of the video" guy whose part is good but you can't recall a single trick.

Again, no knock to Julian's ability, but if the couldn't sell Furby or Moose boards, Davidson will need some really heavy tricks to stand out as his personality alone isn't gonna cut it.

I wonder how lonely Nick Garcia is these days.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »
I liked the Slash/Moose/Furby version of Deathwish better

decaf

• Rep: -20
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2020, 11:51:47 PM »
Hopefully Deathwish can market Julian better than Element.
While he obviously has talent, he just seems to be stuck as the "middle of the video" guy whose part is good but you can't recall a single trick.

Again, no knock to Julian's ability, but if the couldn't sell Furby or Moose boards, Davidson will need some really heavy tricks to stand out as his personality alone isn't gonna cut it.

I wonder how lonely Nick Garcia is these days.

I wonder how his sobriety will help/hurt his image as well.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2020, 03:21:53 AM »

The guy is now on a team with Foy, Delfino, and Jon Dickson, he's essentially signed up to be the skipped part guy. Even if somehow he got last part we all know it'd still get skipped. Foy is entertaining as he's a bigger guy who's world-class at handrails, Delfino is just  :o , Dickson has that insanely crisp style, Davidson needs a decent hair cut and a personality.

I just watched a bunch of videos on Julian to try and get some perspective on him and there's literally nothing. In one video he said that riding for RVCA for so long formed him as he grew up, I can believe that. 

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Never cared for ragdoll.

I’m old😢

Lizard did Not start the concept of kinda dork / unusual tricks . Someone else says it here, but Ragdoll has at least two video parts prior to Slaughterhouse with gap to firecrackers (on that LA double set Gino nollie or switch b's 180s iirc), jumping onto a board down some stairs, amongst other less than usual skateboard tricks.
Lizard was / is influenced by this style of skating and had his own selection too - 5050 FS boneless out, gap disaster on Wallenberg, scarewalks. He is not the progenitor of it, even if just comparing him to ragdoll.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2020, 08:47:46 AM »
Good for him. He's always had proper trick selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ixQ7cwElHc

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »
Davidson needs a decent hair cut and a personality.
:o

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »
I liked the kfnbs

squippy

• Rep: -65
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2020, 04:14:56 PM »
What's nice about lizard is that he usually does these dork tricks fast and on cool or big spots. And you can see it's kinda honest, it isn't like he has a huge bag of tricks and do this just for kooking, it really seems like he's doing the best he can with what he can do.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2020, 04:50:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you've ever been to Cherry park and have met Julian, dudeis honestly the nicest person. No cool-guy shit at all from him

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2020, 05:07:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

if you've ever been to Cherry park and have met Julian, dudeis honestly the nicest person. No cool-guy shit at all from him

Got drunk with him once at a party. We were pretty much the only skaters there. Total skate rat and super nice guy. Not a pretentious bone in his body.

Major props to him. He deserves it.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2020, 09:19:28 PM »
That Tom & Jerry graphic is sick!