Author Topic: tyler bledsoe should have his tattoo machine revoked  (Read 9645 times)

CHONGO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Re: tyler bledsoe should have his tattoo machine revoked
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The designs are fine, that dog is HUGE for where it is, could have been way smaller.

I dunno…. If I was a techy, capable pro like him I would focus on that gift. Tattooing is too serious to be a hobby, and the way he's doing it is offensive to the craft. Everyone wants to be a tattooer and it's messing things up for the people who actually made it their career. Back off, lil fella.

Dressen did it right, though, for the record.
[close]
In Tyler’s defense, he is doing right by drawing/painting a ton, getting good tattoos by people he respects, and going thru an apprenticeship. Dude seems truer to the craft than you are getting at. I do think that more time needs to be spent drawing, and that you shouldn’t show your first tattoos (maybe your very first as a “whoa look at this bad shit I did on my journey!?”) The way they’re being presented is where you’ve gotta check yourself. I’m also a firm believer that apprentice tattoos should only be done in spots that aren’t visible with a short sleeved shirt on.

Your second part about how popular tattooing is, is a whole other topic. I agree that there are way too many tattooers and that fucking anyone who thinks it “seems fun and cool” are just tattooers. Again, just like a lot of what I don’t like about the current state of skate, I’m blaming social media & mainly Instagram. Tattoos have become such a fashion accessory, they used to mean something and you had to fucking earn it. I’m almost entirely covered aside from my back, my forearms/Hands, and neck/face area. I can wear a tee shirt and pants and people would only see the tiniest bit of a tattoo. I’m not that way because of “job security” or what GenPop would think of me, I just don’t know if I’ve earned it yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, back to Tyler quick...I think he’s got a long way to go, but could be a decent tattooer. This dude who used to be a pro snowboarder Nick Dirks is a tattooer now, he did it the “right” way and his tattoos are great now, but man were some of his first tattoos shitty.
[close]

Interested what someone doing it right looks like with a timeline? I don't have much knowledge of the tattoo industry
[close]

When my buddy first took his apprenticeship, the dude he was under told him to come to the shop with his drawings/paintings and proof he could sustain life for 2 years without getting paid from the tattoo shop and the expectation to work in the shop every day his mentor was there(which was 6 days a week). Quit his job at Best Buy and showed up at the tattoo shop the next day.

He then drew book after book of almost every flash book ever produced. Rose after rose after rose after rose, anchor after anchor (and so on you get the point). Just getting his drawings down, line work, shading, B&W, color. Set up before every tattoo his mentor did, broke down after. Stood over his shoulder every tattoo. Even built coils and machines from scratch. Made repairs to machines. Soldered needles, ran the autoclave. Ran the mentors schedule. Every aspect of the job. Jabbed his own thighs with countless shit. I think he ended up getting turned loose around a year and a half.

This Bert Grimm repro was one of the first tattoo's he did once getting the green light. This is on my leg, done about 7 years ago with absolute dog shit after care as usual. EDIT:Granted my homie wasn't a pro skateboarder, even though he did skate, but I think the point is you have to devote your entire life to the craft. You can't be a pro skater and skilled tattooer on the side. At some point you'll have to pick one. My buddy started making bank tattooing and wasn't about to risk a sprained wrist and fuck up his income for skating.

damn 7 years old. it still looks killer! your homie still tattooing?

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2020, 09:26:31 PM »
I like how the guy said Tyler was causing people "mental damage" or whatever. Picturing someone having an emotional breakdown and being asked "What'd he do to you!?" and then pointing at a tattoo of like, a turtle smoking weed.

Recently got a tattoo from a friend who's an apprentice. 2nd or 3rd thing she'd done. She's embarrassed and wants to fix it but I think it's charming and goes well next to the inhaler with monster truck wheels blowing smoke

wheee!

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2020, 04:42:12 AM »
His shading still needs improvement, but his line work is getting a little better.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CD2TqLdlLf4/?igshid=1ez4yei7502zn

PL0P

• Rep: 11
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »
Although I do agree that tattooing is a massive sacrifice and to be truly skilled it takes everything in a person to reach their highest potential.. I respect Bledsoe. He does a lot of big tattoos for being this new to tattooing. I dig most of his flash so far and truth be told, I'd pay apprentice prices to get something from Bledsoe in a filler spot.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2020, 07:39:04 AM »
His shading still needs improvement, but his line work is getting a little better.

he's already so much better! all ya'll need to get off his nuts

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2020, 10:12:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lines are inconsistent, that shading in the wing where the color meets the black looks rough, will most likely chunk out. The head is fucked, the eye is dumb and the lines are worse there (that extension behind the eye and the line on top of the head near it are inconsistent), which is a shame because it's an important detail and heavily relies on those lines since there's no shading. I promise that eye will swell into the beak. The yellow is most likely doomed, but yellow is hard. The leg shading and lines look lazy, too.

This is not a good tattoo, I'm sorry. If he's apprenticing he should not be on skin yet.

I'm not trying to be mean to this dude, it's just that he's poaching in the woods of an industry that suffers because of people like him.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Lines are inconsistent, that shading in the wing where the color meets the black looks rough, will most likely chunk out. The head is fucked, the eye is dumb and the lines are worse there (that extension behind the eye and the line on top of the head near it are inconsistent), which is a shame because it's an important detail and heavily relies on those lines since there's no shading. I promise that eye will swell into the beak. The yellow is most likely doomed, but yellow is hard. The leg shading and lines look lazy, too.

This is not a good tattoo, I'm sorry. If he's apprenticing he should not be on skin yet.

I'm not trying to be mean to this dude, it's just that he's poaching in the woods of an industry that suffers because of people like him.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2020, 11:51:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bruh... I'm educating.

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2020, 11:57:34 AM »
I hope he's careful and doesn't end up getting his tats revoked like Gilby

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAWMe8sA9As/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2020, 02:41:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This sums it up well.  Also in these types of tattoos, because they are so simple, they should be done very well.  Crispy, sharp, etc.  this tattoo is fresh and janky, not going to look better in a year. And worse every year after that.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2020, 02:48:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This sums it up well.  Also in these types of tattoos, because they are so simple, they should be done very well.  Crispy, sharp, etc.  this tattoo is fresh and janky, not going to look better in a year. And worse every year after that.

I agree, but he is improving. I still wouldn’t let him tattoo me. I went through my scratcher/apprentice cheap phase a long time ago. But he’s definitely getting a little better with each piece. So fuck the title of the thread. He might get there eventually.

Telly

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I agree, but he is improving. I still wouldn’t let him tattoo me. I went through my scratcher/apprentice cheap phase a long time ago. But he’s definitely getting a little better with each piece. So fuck the title of the thread. He might get there eventually.

I would agree with this too.  And he should chill with the insta claims until he gets better. 

1yearhoneybunsonly

• Rep: -29
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »
yo im an apprentice anyone wanna see my shit and pick it apart on a skateboard forum

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »
yo im an apprentice anyone wanna see my shit and pick it apart on a skateboard forum

Absolutely. Post a weird eagle fuccboi.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636

Telly

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »

Are you also a professional skateboarder?  If so, yes.
If not, then yes.
But be warned, when you promote your art you are welcoming criticism as much as you are inviting praise.  You are asking for judgement.  Wanna do art for yourself to express yourself that’s only personal?  Cool.  Leave it hidden.  Want to make a living at it?  Then you gotta let the world see what you got.  And he ain’t got it.  And it can be that he ain’t got it, yet.  But that remains to be seen.  Also, if nobody tells him his lines suck then he has no motivation to get better.
If he were to read this and wants to prove me wrong, he can’t do it by arguing his experience or lack of, he has to practice and get better.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2020, 04:48:32 PM »
Doggy dogg world

1yearhoneybunsonly

• Rep: -29
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
oh yeah bro tell me more about art

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If not, then yes.
But be warned, when you promote your art you are welcoming criticism as much as you are inviting praise.  You are asking for judgement.  Wanna do art for yourself to express yourself that’s only personal?  Cool.  Leave it hidden.  Want to make a living at it?  Then you gotta let the world see what you got.  And he ain’t got it.  And it can be that he ain’t got it, yet.  But that remains to be seen.  Also, if nobody tells him his lines suck then he has no motivation to get better.
If he were to read this and wants to prove me wrong, he can’t do it by arguing his experience or lack of, he has to practice and get better.
you sound like the angry trumpet man

Telly

« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

If not, then yes.
[close]
you sound like the angry trumpet man

Me?  Ok, then his art sucks; Cancel him forever I guess

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373