Author Topic: France PALS (especially but not limited to Parisian PALS) -- Lebanon question  (Read 895 times)

Chapingro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Are there any SLAP skaters in Paris (or anywhere in France) who would be interested in collecting used boards (in any condition, seriously) and other skate gear to send to Lebanon? There's a way to get them onto the planes that are shipping relief aid. They literally don't have any ways of getting skate gear, and there's a nonprofit called Make Life Skate Life that's coordinating donations right now.

For context: right now in Lebanon, a board worth 150,000 LBP just a few months ago (equivalent to $100 USD) is today worth 870,000 LBP in local currency (equivalent to $550 USD). It's totally unaffordable. And for context, these numbers - 870,000 LBP in local currency (equivalent to $550 USD) - is MORE than the monthly minimum wage.

Please let me know if you're in France and want to chat about this. Send me a PM or just reply to thread and I'll follow up.

thomas kook

this is awesome. i hope you get silhouette in here he should be able to rally up a few heads

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
this is awesome. i hope you get silhouette in here he should be able to rally up a few heads

Yup I'm already on it.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
If I'm in Paris anytime soon I'll hit you up and try to bring some decks. Not sure how much shipping would be but if you're short on donations over there hit me up and I can look into it.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
If I'm in Paris anytime soon I'll hit you up and try to bring some decks. Not sure how much shipping would be but if you're short on donations over there hit me up and I can look into it.

Right now I'm trying to see if we can rely on multiple shops around the country to coordinate more local donations. Logistics is the limit (for instance if all the boards collected throughout the country have to be shipped from Paris at once then it might get expensive as fuck to get them all there in the first place, whereas maybe flying them out from a few different big cities might be more practical?), but I've hit up people and we'll be trying to work it out with Chapingro (assuming he's also the person who contacted me about this on IG). Right now I'm waiting to establish with them how to organize and communicate over this exactly.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
My local (ABS Grenoble) is on holidays but I'm sure he's down to collect stuff. I've got some stuff I'll donate.

Chapingro

• Rep: 8
Expand Quote
[close]

Right now I'm trying to see if we can rely on multiple shops around the country to coordinate more local donations. Logistics is the limit (for instance if all the boards collected throughout the country have to be shipped from Paris at once then it might get expensive as fuck to get them all there in the first place, whereas maybe flying them out from a few different big cities might be more practical?), but I've hit up people and we'll be trying to work it out with Chapingro (assuming he's also the person who contacted me about this on IG). Right now I'm waiting to establish with them how to organize and communicate over this exactly.

yes, that's me! very excited that we're in communication about this, much appreciation SLAP

Tacos Liz

• Rep: -4
That is love. Made my day. Shalom

Síota

• SLAP Pal
Op hit up Jérémie at wall Street in Lyon they are very good lads also.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
My local (ABS Grenoble) is on holidays but I'm sure he's down to collect stuff. I've got some stuff I'll donate.

Well, it seems that we have the same local !  ;D
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

Fred is the fucking man. I miss Freestyler (and Soma).

We've been gathering the support of several French shops for this and are working on a campaign with Live to try and push even more action but there is the restriction in terms of logistics that the final shipping will have to leave from Paris, so whoever else is down to participate but isn't from the region will also need to find a way to get the stuff there by their own means (either by shipping or driving). So you can already spread that word around your locals if you feel like it, although they should be hearing of the campaign soon anyway, we're just about to launch it sometime over the next few days.

Thomas

• no pop no style
Re: France PALS (especially but not limited to Parisian PALS) -- Lebanon question
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 08:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

We've been gathering the support of several French shops for this and are working on a campaign with Live to try and push even more action but there is the restriction in terms of logistics that the final shipping will have to leave from Paris, so whoever else is down to participate but isn't from the region will also need to find a way to get the stuff there by their own means (either by shipping or driving). So you can already spread that word around your locals if you feel like it, although they should be hearing of the campaign soon anyway, we're just about to launch it sometime over the next few days.

I (we) feel very lucky to have Fred running the shop, and this campaign is totally something he will support.

franc

• Rep: 96
Re: France PALS (especially but not limited to Parisian PALS) -- Lebanon question
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
Merde, I drove to Paris last week and could totally have donated 6 or 7 boards (or even more) in really good condition but I'm back home in Switzerland now. Drop me a PM if Wall Street takes part in this, I might go to Lyon sometime soon. Street Art in Thonon could be a good start too, I go to Evian and Thonon regularly. Hopefully I'll be able to help.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 07:36:41 PM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/CErfCY6ndcM/

Doing what I can to help with my friends at Carpet

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 01:01:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I (we) feel very lucky to have Fred running the shop, and this campaign is totally something he will support.
Forsure. Do you know if Fred is collecting stuff? I haven't had time to drop into him in ages

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 02:28:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Forsure. Do you know if Fred is collecting stuff? I haven't had time to drop into him in ages

I'm not sure about Lebanon, but he always keep stuff for several projects where locals are involved like Concrete Jungle Foundation or Wonders Around the World.
I will ask him if we can do something, maybe with Wallstreet too.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 03:58:37 AM »
^ We're just getting the final few communication assets ready and then we'll be launching the official campaign this week, with the shops that have confirmed their participation so far as well as an open invite for others to participate as long as they can handle the shipment of their stuff to Paris. I'm already well in touch with all the shops you guys are mentioning, just not about this campaign yet, so you can spread the word already if you want but regardless, you can rest assured they'll be hearing about it and how exactly to proceed in no time.

One of the entities we're working with is even going to contribute with brand new gear all the while willing to remain anonymous, which I think is rad as fuck.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:08:18 AM by silhouette »

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 05:41:10 AM »
Big thanks to everyone helping out. We raised over 18k w the guys from Carpet and Nesser and I are going to be sending a bunch of hardgoods to the skaters there as well. Much love to everyone for their time and energy

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 10:22:06 AM »
Killer. Yeah I've got stuff I can donate. I'll go see Fred Friday.
Shame I'm not gonna make it to Lyon this weekend..

hamm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
I'm in Paris (moved here from Australia in Jan) and was wondering if there was anything set up to give old boards to kids in need here, like the kids in the suburbs etc who can't afford boards? I've just been leaving my old ones at my local spot if they're not broken but all the kids in the area seem well off anyways so I'd rather see it going to someone that needs it.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 10:34:28 AM »
I'm in Paris (moved here from Australia in Jan) and was wondering if there was anything set up to give old boards to kids in need here, like the kids in the suburbs etc who can't afford boards? I've just been leaving my old ones at my local spot if they're not broken but all the kids in the area seem well off anyways so I'd rather see it going to someone that needs it.

I used to leave my old boards at République for the same reason too, till I noticed them popping up in one of the shops nearby (not Nozbone which is another respectable shop in the vicinity, a different one). Apparently the owner of that shop asks the neighborhood kids to patrol République and get them the used decks they find so they can turn them into fucking key rings or maybe even resell them for cheap, what do I know. It's been years so I'm not sure they still do it, but I remember being bummed.

If you ever consider donating your old stuff to the scene in Lebanon instead, Nozbone and Vega are both supposed to be setting up donation boxes right now. If they aren't ready yet, surely you can already drop stuff regardless. About kids in the suburbs, surely there has to be organizations but I'd say your best bet would be to go skate Créteil and see who needs what there in the flesh, but since the main distro for most U.S. companies is in the suburbs, most everybody there that skates hard is already kinda hooked up.

hamm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2020, 04:04:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to leave my old boards at République for the same reason too, till I noticed them popping up in one of the shops nearby (not Nozbone which is another respectable shop in the vicinity, a different one). Apparently the owner of that shop asks the neighborhood kids to patrol République and get them the used decks they find so they can turn them into fucking key rings or maybe even resell them for cheap, what do I know. It's been years so I'm not sure they still do it, but I remember being bummed.

If you ever consider donating your old stuff to the scene in Lebanon instead, Nozbone and Vega are both supposed to be setting up donation boxes right now. If they aren't ready yet, surely you can already drop stuff regardless. About kids in the suburbs, surely there has to be organizations but I'd say your best bet would be to go skate Créteil and see who needs what there in the flesh, but since the main distro for most U.S. companies is in the suburbs, most everybody there that skates hard is already kinda hooked up.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I’ll definitely take them into nozbone then! They seem like really good guys running that shop.

Good to hear the kids outside of central Paris are getting looked after too! Still yet to go to skate Créteil, looks so good!