Author Topic: anyone shoot guns?  (Read 10383 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
anyone shoot guns?
« on: August 14, 2020, 02:24:00 PM »
Any of y'all enjoy shooting? I know it's been a wild time with high prices and lack of range space during this COVID period, but is anyone getting out there? there's some BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land nearby that's approved for target shooting and it's been fun driving out to fire off rounds in the morning before it gets too hot.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: anyone shoot guns?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 03:50:04 PM »
BLM land is (almost) always a go & i
there’s usually some nearby, regardless of where you live.
Pop, pop, pop!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ill_Murray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »
Very happy the standard capacity mag ban in CA got knocked down today.

Honestly considering getting an AK because my AR is so expensive to shoot right now
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:48:56 PM »
Right about now I’m extra happy to be able to feed both the Marlin 1894 CST & the Ruger SP101 the same munition(s). The .38 Specials are still pretty cheap & the .357 Mags aren’t to spendy either.
The Marlin’s action could use a little refining on a pro gunsmith’s bench, but it is a pure delight to shoot.
Of all of the ones in the safe, the New England break-open .17 HMR single shot is still the most fun to spend time with, though.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »
I’ve only shot my CZ SP01 and P01 twice since 9mm jumped from 15 cpr to 40-50.

Prices aren’t going to get any better either with the supply chain disruption/mass buying. Federal had a 1 billion round back stock that got chomped in the first month of the pandemic.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 09:47:42 PM »
I've been hoping someone would post a thread like this.  I figured I'd get a lot of flak for starting one so I refrained. 

I've got a full size ak, a 9mm ak pistol, and an ar from Palmetto State Armory, a Benelli 12 gauge, S&W and Beretta 9mms, JTS 12 gauge AK, and Ruger LCR revolver, and a Stribog.

I've got about 1000 rounds each of 9mm, 556, 7.62, & 12 gauge stockpiled in case of emergency.  I kinda panic bought a lot when quarantine started, but it all is getting hard to find and super expensive so I havent been shooting for fun.  I've been super bored lately so I've been buying and installing accessories on a bunch of them. 

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

peptobismol

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
the first gun i shot was a 12 gauge shotgun about 5 years ago. it was cool to repeatedly say "get off my property," before pulling the trigger. the kickback was not as gnar as i anticipated but going in, i expected to be knocked off my feet. i am all for the second amendment but i am someone who should never own a gun.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 11:17:28 PM »
I abhor gun violence however having two older brothers who do got my back I've been given a few rifle's by them.

Here's a brief summary of why I enjoy hunting rifles more then pistols, suicide use to be something I thought about when I was going through HS.

I could've been those kids from Columbine I was that miserable, and I had access to just as many weapon's.

Instead I got out a pump action shotgun loaded it up and put that cold steel in my mouth and pulled the trigger nothing happened and I know it's loaded as soon as I moved it away from my face it went off BLAM!!!!

Blew a hole in the ceiling, I am glad it didn't work.  Got my ass beat for putting a hole in the roof of sewing room,  it was better than explaining the suicide/school shooter thoughts.
Dueces Bitch's

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 05:20:13 AM »
I've been hoping someone would post a thread like this.  I figured I'd get a lot of flak for starting one so I refrained. 

i get this, but don't really care more...i've been consistently posting gun-related posts the whole time i've been commenting here--i didn't start a thread, because i sincerely thought i was pretty alone in this regard here. i appreciate this thread nonetheless

i posted mostly in "The Last Thing You Bought" thread (a PSA AKV in 9mm that i purchased a while back) and just a day or so ago in the "questions for Americans" thread, about the Aimpoint Micro T-2 red dot sight I'm saving up for, to replace the cheaper Bushnell TRS25 that i currently have on my Arsenal SAM 7 SF. i changed the gas tube on my Arsenal to a Ultimak M1-B Optics Mount, and that fucker heats up, and those Aimpoints are indestructible

definitely happy for y'all out in California--i've seen Judge Benitez called the "Patron Saint of Gun Rights." i'm quite good on ammo and mags--i am indeed a tech geek when it comes to ordnance and nerding out is getting me through lock down, so the current stock on ammo is:

-260 rounds: 12 gauge 00 (military grade Winchester)
-2370 rounds: 7.62 x 39 (PPU and PMC)
-1744 rounds: 9mm FMJ (115 grain)
-738 rounds: 9mm FMJ (124 grain NATO)
-373 rounds: 9mm JHP
-450 rounds: .40 FMJ
-196 round: .40 JHP

i'm a bit orthodox about the AK platform--there's a few in my gun safe...i've never even shot anything in .223 or 5.56 actually, although i would like to eventually.

looking forward to the ongoing conversation...

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »
I like it too. It's just a bit lower on the list of hobbies. I'm casual about it I suppose. I had a bunch at one point but, oh god I have to clean them again. I'll just sell them all. Get another when the craving comes back. I'm kind of light so shooting a .338 wasn't as much fun as I imagined. It's ok I'll sell that one too. I have a buddy that's big into the NBRSA stuff. I could see myself getting into those long range competitions later on in life. I think it's neat.

Right now I have a Palmetto AR and my trusty old .22 Ruger. And I'll reluctantly confess the Ruger tank is empty and I only have a whole 50 rounds of 5.56. Whoops. After this mess clears up I'll get more stuff.

Telly

• Rep: -150
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
.17 HMR single shot is still the most fun to spend time with, though.

This

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 12:23:25 PM »
I abhor gun violence however having two older brothers who do got my back I've been given a few rifle's by them.

Here's a brief summary of why I enjoy hunting rifles more then pistols, suicide use to be something I thought about when I was going through HS.

I could've been those kids from Columbine I was that miserable, and I had access to just as many weapon's.

Instead I got out a pump action shotgun loaded it up and put that cold steel in my mouth and pulled the trigger nothing happened and I know it's loaded as soon as I moved it away from my face it went off BLAM!!!!

Blew a hole in the ceiling, I am glad it didn't work.  Got my ass beat for putting a hole in the roof of sewing room,  it was better than explaining the suicide/school shooter thoughts.

I was having a pretty chill day until I read this.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »

Honestly considering getting an AK because my AR is so expensive to shoot right now

I'm super stoked as well!  Does the federal ruling also apply to assault weapons or just the clips? In CA I think the closest we can get to an ar is a mini 14.

If anyone has recommendations I'm all ears.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 01:26:09 PM »

I've got a full size ak, a 9mm ak pistol, and an ar from Palmetto State Armory, a Benelli 12 gauge, S&W and Beretta 9mms, JTS 12 gauge AK, and Ruger LCR revolver, and a Stribog.

I've got about 1000 rounds each of 9mm, 556, 7.62, & 12 gauge stockpiled in case of emergency.  I kinda panic bought a lot when quarantine started, but it all is getting hard to find and super expensive so I havent been shooting for fun.  I've been super bored lately so I've been buying and installing accessories on a bunch of them.

How do you like the Stribog? Is it the new A3?

I’m jealous of you non Cali residents, I want so many things that this state banned for no damn reason.

It’s funny because I’m sure to non gun people 1000 rounds sounds like a lot but that’s usually a week of range time

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm super stoked as well!  Does the federal ruling also apply to assault weapons or just the clips? In CA I think the closest we can get to an ar is a mini 14.

The ruling hasn’t really changed anything yet since Benitez still has his original stay in place and Becerra has until January 7 to appeal.

Mini 14s are great but you can absolutely have ARs in California they just have to be featureless(pinned stock, no pistol grips back or forward, etc)  or mag locked. I have 2 featureless ARs since you can use standard cap mags(acquired freedom week or before) in them but not in maglocked.

If you’re considering getting a rifle in today’s times you’re better off hunting down a WASR since 223/556 Ammo is like 50-60 cpr.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »

I always stay strapped.

peptobismol

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 01:42:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

even if the law was passed, it still would not have stopped people from getting that shit. from an engineering student perspective, i can imagine it would be relatively doable to modify magazines/make new ones yourself. if anything, the law would just be a minor roadblock for gun enthusiasts. a while back i saw some dude 3d printing gun parts out of high density abs plastic, not something thats very durable but the seeds were certainly planted.

is it relatively easy to acquire an ak? that always seemed like something thats difficult to obtain, much like cuban cigars. and what about ammo? can aks fire a wide range of ammo or are they specific to one type? is there a firearm out there that would be the ultimate for you to own? your dream gun, that is. something unobtainable? it would be pretty cool to own a heavy gustaf, i wonder how much it would cost?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »
I’m pretty stoked on my small collection, at present; I shoot purely for enjoyment. Still, can’t help but wasn’t to add a Springfield M1A Scout Squad rifle to the mix.
I dug the “Flat Earth” composite stock they were offering a couple years back, but I may have missed that boat.
Black is good. I like black.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series-rifles/m1a-scout-squad-rifles/m1a-scout-squad-308-rifle-black/

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 03:25:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

even if the law was passed, it still would not have stopped people from getting that shit. from an engineering student perspective, i can imagine it would be relatively doable to modify magazines/make new ones yourself. if anything, the law would just be a minor roadblock for gun enthusiasts. a while back i saw some dude 3d printing gun parts out of high density abs plastic, not something thats very durable but the seeds were certainly planted.

is it relatively easy to acquire an ak? that always seemed like something thats difficult to obtain, much like cuban cigars. and what about ammo? can aks fire a wide range of ammo or are they specific to one type? is there a firearm out there that would be the ultimate for you to own? your dream gun, that is. something unobtainable? it would be pretty cool to own a heavy gustaf, i wonder how much it would cost?

No gun is easy to get right now but there are plenty of companies that make AKs most are chambered in 7.62 but there are other variants. My dream gun right now is a Galil Ace

I’m pretty stoked on my small collection, at present; I shoot purely for enjoyment. Still, can’t help but wasn’t to add a Springfield M1A Scout Squad rifle to the mix.
I dug the “Flat Earth” composite stock they were offering a couple years back, but I may have missed that boat.
Black is good. I like black.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series-rifles/m1a-scout-squad-rifles/m1a-scout-squad-308-rifle-black/

I had an m1a for a minute, great rifle but heavy as fuck. If I could’ve upgraded the stock and added a pistol grip I might have kept it but alas, CA. Plus at the time .308 was expensive as fuck. Now I’m just waiting on a Galil Ace to come in to handle my .308 needs

peptobismol

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 03:35:27 PM »
damn, i didnt know that israel was known as a good quality gun maker. i also didnt know that the ak is still being made. i suppose all bets are off the table when talking about country's military capabilities. what is the likelihood that you will be able to get a galil ace? given the prickly tensions amongst all the countries, i could imagine it to be very difficult to get? do you know how much it would cost?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2020, 05:03:56 PM »
damn, i didnt know that israel was known as a good quality gun maker.
Oh HELL yeah! You remember the uzi?
My holy grail pop gun is Israeli: the IMI (Israeli Military Industries) Timber Wolf. It’s a pump action rifle chambered for .357 Mag & briefly imported to the US by Action Arms.
Hard(er) to come by & spendy (for a pop gun) when they can be found, but I want that fun. Baaad.

peptobismol

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 05:20:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My holy grail pop gun is Israeli: the IMI (Israeli Military Industries) Timber Wolf. It’s a pump action rifle chambered for .357 Mag & briefly imported to the US by Action Arms.
Hard(er) to come by & spendy (for a pop gun) when they can be found, but I want that fun. Baaad.
uzis were israeli made? sorry im a total newb when it comes to guns. like i said before, i am 100% for supporting the 2nd amendment but i am someone who should NEVER own a gun. i do find guns to be very fascinating. how do israeli guns compare with usa made guns? are they comparable or completely different leagues? how much would that timber wolf set you back? i do know the term pump-action and that sounds super fun.
i feel like this thread has fewer snowflakes posting, i like that. im fucking tired of getting flagged left and right because some pussy got their feelings hurt when they read my post. i thought skaters were tougher than that. i guess the new generation is here.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
damn, i didnt know that israel was known as a good quality gun maker. i also didnt know that the ak is still being made. i suppose all bets are off the table when talking about country's military capabilities. what is the likelihood that you will be able to get a galil ace? given the prickly tensions amongst all the countries, i could imagine it to be very difficult to get? do you know how much it would cost?

Nah there are plenty stateside. They cost about 2k but I have to ship it to AZ for a guy there to convert it to California Legal which means pinning the folding stock and swapping out the pistol grip

Telly

• Rep: -150
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
Does anybody have a sig sauer pistol?
Looking to add to my armory and I only have an old .38 revolver for the handheld cannons.
I like what I’ve read about them and navigating gun forums  be like a gunsmith who is considering trying skateboarding just diving into the gear threads.  Anyway. Likes? Dislikes? 
Thinking full size, p226 maybe.  Probably a 9mm, though I would try a compact model as well if I ever want to carry

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2020, 06:32:15 PM »
Does anybody have a sig sauer pistol?
Looking to add to my armory and I only have an old .38 revolver for the handheld cannons.
I like what I’ve read about them and navigating gun forums  be like a gunsmith who is considering trying skateboarding just diving into the gear threads.  Anyway. Likes? Dislikes? 
Thinking full size, p226 maybe.  Probably a 9mm, though I would try a compact model as well if I ever want to carry

I wanted a SIG way back when I got my first pistol but ended up picking up a CZ 75 SP01. Honestly the most ergonomic full size combat pistol and I’ve had 0 problems with over 10k rounds through it.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was having a pretty chill day until I read this.
I'm sorry my experiences with weapons bummed you out. 

I probably should not have firearms but I am glad to have some training, despite my rambling beforehand.
Dueces Bitch's

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i get this, but don't really care more...i've been consistently posting gun-related posts the whole time i've been commenting here--i didn't start a thread, because i sincerely thought i was pretty alone in this regard here. i appreciate this thread nonetheless

i posted mostly in "The Last Thing You Bought" thread (a PSA AKV in 9mm that i purchased a while back) and just a day or so ago in the "questions for Americans" thread, about the Aimpoint Micro T-2 red dot sight I'm saving up for, to replace the cheaper Bushnell TRS25 that i currently have on my Arsenal SAM 7 SF. i changed the gas tube on my Arsenal to a Ultimak M1-B Optics Mount, and that fucker heats up, and those Aimpoints are indestructible

definitely happy for y'all out in California--i've seen Judge Benitez called the "Patron Saint of Gun Rights." i'm quite good on ammo and mags--i am indeed a tech geek when it comes to ordnance and nerding out is getting me through lock down, so the current stock on ammo is:

-260 rounds: 12 gauge 00 (military grade Winchester)
-2370 rounds: 7.62 x 39 (PPU and PMC)
-1744 rounds: 9mm FMJ (115 grain)
-738 rounds: 9mm FMJ (124 grain NATO)
-373 rounds: 9mm JHP
-450 rounds: .40 FMJ
-196 round: .40 JHP

i'm a bit orthodox about the AK platform--there's a few in my gun safe...i've never even shot anything in .223 or 5.56 actually, although i would like to eventually.

looking forward to the ongoing conversation...

rad.  i just got an AKV, but havent gotten to shoot it yet. 

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
uzis were israeli made? sorry im a total newb when it comes to guns. like i said before, i am 100% for supporting the 2nd amendment but i am someone who should NEVER own a gun. i do find guns to be very fascinating. how do israeli guns compare with usa made guns? are they comparable or completely different leagues? how much would that timber wolf set you back? i do know the term pump-action and that sounds super fun.
i feel like this thread has fewer snowflakes posting, i like that. im fucking tired of getting flagged left and right because some pussy got their feelings hurt when they read my post. i thought skaters were tougher than that. i guess the new generation is here.
Oh, we’re HERE too. I’m a big radical lefty socialist, and I generally dislike gun “culture,” but I’m a big fan of guns & shooting.
I detest the NRA, support reasonable bans on certain weapons & don’t care for hunting. Buuut... I’m a big fan of guns & shooting.
For me, it’s kinda like using my mind to affect an object hundreds of yards away, by utilizing a special “intermediary/interpreter” device that goes bang. It’s as close to being telekinetic as I can get.
Anyway, we can agree shooting shit is pretty cool, even if we don’t see eye to eye on other shit.
Hey... we both like skating too! We’re well on our way to understanding one another & becoming friends.
Or not.
Shalom!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2020, 07:10:58 PM »

Oh, we’re HERE too. I’m a big radical lefty socialist, and I generally dislike gun “culture,” but I’m a big fan of guns & shooting.
I detest the NRA, support reasonable bans on certain weapons & don’t care for hunting. Buuut... I’m a big fan of guns & shooting.

same.  i was thinking about joining the Socialist Rifle Association, but i'm a little sketched on having my name on a list. 

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »
So much of gun culture is fucking disgusting. Whether it’s the overt racism or bullshit like Black Rifle Coffee, it just sucks so bad. I will say I’ve noticed a change in the last 5 or so years. Lots more diversity at the ranges which is awesome, more non white non republicans getting into the mix is def a good thing.

Fuck the NRA