Author Topic: anyone shoot guns?  (Read 10352 times)

Deputy Wendell

Re: anyone shoot guns?
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2021, 09:01:35 AM »
you know, i'm not sure how many of the regulars in this thread dig this kind of stuff, but those dudes from the Forgotten Weapons and InRange Youtube channels always go to Europe and take part in this "Finnish Brutality" craziness, and this year's drills/challenges (whatever you want to call them) are especially fucked, so i figured i'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mDucV57Okw&list=WL&index=16&t=324s

this is from the Polenar Tactical recap of it all--the trench filled chest high with icy water is one of the seriously fucked drills (stage 2), and that fucking craziness with the kettle bell (stage 7) looks fucked as well.

i get it if this is less what people are feeling, but i've personally taken a lot from the modest training i've had thus far, and hope to do more....

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2021, 09:33:44 AM »
you know, i'm not sure how many of the regulars in this thread dig this kind of stuff, but those dudes from the Forgotten Weapons and InRange Youtube channels always go to Europe and take part in this "Finnish Brutality" craziness, and this year's drills/challenges (whatever you want to call them) are especially fucked, so i figured i'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mDucV57Okw&list=WL&index=16&t=324s

this is from the Polenar Tactical recap of it all--the trench filled chest high with icy water is one of the seriously fucked drills (stage 2), and that fucking craziness with the kettle bell (stage 7) looks fucked as well.

i get it if this is less what people are feeling, but i've personally taken a lot from the modest training i've had thus far, and hope to do more....

Shit is super cool, I'm just a big soft baby

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
Only time I’ve shot a gun was in Korea. The shooting range was in a baseball stadium, where we went and watched a game afterwards and ate fried chicken and drank beer. It always sticks out to me as such an American experience, and makes me laugh since it took place thousands of miles away.

Shooting was kinda fun, and I’d try it again. I get the appeal. Was meant to go to Las Vegas a couple years ago but the trip got canceled due to weather. Was gonna hit up a gun range and try some bigger stuff out. I think shooting longer range stuff with a rifle would be what interests me most.

All that said, I’m glad where I live has gun regulation and people can’t open carry and whatnot. Maybe you have to grow up with that kind of culture, but I don’t think I could get used to it.

Fhk

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2021, 05:24:04 PM »
I live on this weird little rural block, tucked away behind some culdesac type houses that were all built in the last 15 years. Behind the culdesac, where I'm living, it's like 4 or 5 blocks of homes on dirt and gravel roads until you get to timber company land. I like it over here. There's a lot of really poor white people living back here. No joke, like within 1/4 mile of $500k homes, there's people living in broken down tarpaper shacks and shit. I've got some meth head neighbors who split wood for a living and shit like that. Some dudes the street behind me are constantly feuding, one guy who is a crab fisherman and trying a small homestead thing is going ballistic on the people on either side of him, a family of meth and fentanyl/heroin sellers who also run a garage and saw mill in their respective yards. Crab dude was yelling a few weeks back "you stupid motherfuckers are the reason I'm calling drug task force and carry my 9 with one in the chamber while I'm walking around the yard." I'll occasionally hear some rounds popping off, probably just a 22 pistol most of the time. no big deal.

YESTERDAY, I was outside working on the van and after some shit in the neighborhood over the weekend, I'd been feeling the vibes were going to get weirder and wanted to keep my the Glock with me. Just lots more junkies milling about on different properties and people going kind of crazy. There was something in the air. Anyways, I'm under the van at about 2pm, cursing away because I can't get the fucking muffler and cat in the brackets and I hear a pop pop pop pop, four rounds going off the street perpendicular to my house. I'm no idiot, so I'm looking through the back of the van and see some tweaked out dude jamming down my street now and soon after this big burly dude and a big burly dog about 50 yards behind him. Sheriffs show up soon after and end up tasing the tweaked out dude.

Was out for my run this AM and found a couple unused hornaday HP 9mm on the ground.

wild Wild West here in Mack town
Time to gtfo there bud. Come back to the Northbeast.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 525
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2021, 06:17:14 PM »
I used to carry guns back in the day for all the wrong reasons. I stopped for years and learned how to deal with certain things without a gun. Mentally deal with them anyway.

Years later i decided to tap back in.. but this time in a more mature state of mind. So i went and got my CPL(Michigan conceal) and put a range on my camping/bug out/wild out chunk of land i have out here.
I traded my car hobby for the firearms hobby. I shoot a ton. AK's, AR's, Shotguns, Lever guns, sniper rifles, pistols, suppressed, un-surppressed, both eyes open, one eye closed, reticles, red dots, 1x,2x,3x,1-8x, stocks, braces, short barrel, long barrel.... lol. All of it.

My range has multiple targets with a current extended range at 300 yards. We bet on who can hit the gong at 150 yards with a M&P Shield. Shit like that.

It was a bummer when ammo got expensive last year... so we quit doing all the ninja stuff and started long range iron site shots. Its almost as much fun doing that then it is running around dumping rounds.

Anyway.. thought i'd share.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
I used to carry guns back in the day for all the wrong reasons. I stopped for years and learned how to deal with certain things without a gun. Mentally deal with them anyway.

Years later i decided to tap back in.. but this time in a more mature state of mind. So i went and got my CPL(Michigan conceal) and put a range on my camping/bug out/wild out chunk of land i have out here.
I traded my car hobby for the firearms hobby. I shoot a ton. AK's, AR's, Shotguns, Lever guns, sniper rifles, pistols, suppressed, un-surppressed, both eyes open, one eye closed, reticles, red dots, 1x,2x,3x,1-8x, stocks, braces, short barrel, long barrel.... lol. All of it.

My range has multiple targets with a current extended range at 300 yards. We bet on who can hit the gong at 150 yards with a M&P Shield. Shit like that.

It was a bummer when ammo got expensive last year... so we quit doing all the ninja stuff and started long range iron site shots. Its almost as much fun doing that then it is running around dumping rounds.

Nice, thanks for sharing. This may be a stupid question but did you ever bring a gun with you on sessions or did you only carry in non-skate situations?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2021, 06:50:40 PM »
There is a good chance I'm buying an AR-15 soon ish
And/or a Beretta M9

DGKALIS

« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2021, 07:20:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice, thanks for sharing. This may be a stupid question but did you ever bring a gun with you on sessions or did you only carry in non-skate situations?

It’s not a stupid question….
To be honest though… as a skater, I don’t think it’s very necessary to carry while I’m skating.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2021, 07:25:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

To be honest though… as a skater, I don’t think it’s very necessary to carry while I’m skating.

very aaron rogers answer right there
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

DGKALIS

« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2021, 07:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Who’s that? Lol.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2021, 07:50:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's true, your focus the board wolverine style melee weapon method seems effective enough.   

Expand Quote
[close]

Who’s that? Lol.

laughed too hard at this haha

letsdancebro

• Rep: -5
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2021, 10:19:34 PM »
no no, i do not own any firearms,
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 11:17:49 PM by letsdancebro »

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2021, 06:31:30 AM »
I live on this weird little rural block, tucked away behind some culdesac type houses that were all built in the last 15 years. Behind the culdesac, where I'm living, it's like 4 or 5 blocks of homes on dirt and gravel roads until you get to timber company land. I like it over here. There's a lot of really poor white people living back here. No joke, like within 1/4 mile of $500k homes, there's people living in broken down tarpaper shacks and shit. I've got some meth head neighbors who split wood for a living and shit like that. Some dudes the street behind me are constantly feuding, one guy who is a crab fisherman and trying a small homestead thing is going ballistic on the people on either side of him, a family of meth and fentanyl/heroin sellers who also run a garage and saw mill in their respective yards. Crab dude was yelling a few weeks back "you stupid motherfuckers are the reason I'm calling drug task force and carry my 9 with one in the chamber while I'm walking around the yard." I'll occasionally hear some rounds popping off, probably just a 22 pistol most of the time. no big deal.

YESTERDAY, I was outside working on the van and after some shit in the neighborhood over the weekend, I'd been feeling the vibes were going to get weirder and wanted to keep my the Glock with me. Just lots more junkies milling about on different properties and people going kind of crazy. There was something in the air. Anyways, I'm under the van at about 2pm, cursing away because I can't get the fucking muffler and cat in the brackets and I hear a pop pop pop pop, four rounds going off the street perpendicular to my house. I'm no idiot, so I'm looking through the back of the van and see some tweaked out dude jamming down my street now and soon after this big burly dude and a big burly dog about 50 yards behind him. Sheriffs show up soon after and end up tasing the tweaked out dude.

Was out for my run this AM and found a couple unused hornaday HP 9mm on the ground.

@IusedToSkateMore...brother...i've gathered over the months/years in here, that where you live in CA is cheap and has some excellent benefits--easy access to land being one--but it definitely sounds like if you have the resources to do so, it's time to get the fuck out of dodge. that's part of being a responsible gun owner, right? situational awareness--knowing when to remove yourself from circumstances that have the potential to escalate. again, if you have the time and resources to do so, which can be a luxury people do not have. always hoping the best for you either way brother.

thanks for sharing this @DGKALIS. as i mention a ways back in this thread, i'm in the Detroit area, have some resources to work with and i am currently looking for land to--amongst other things--shoot on, and i was wondering if you have any advice/suggestions? i'm checking Landwatch pretty regularly and all, but it is an intimidating thing to invest money in. right now, i'm doing searches for anything from 20 to 50 acres. there's lot of tracts in the UP, but that's too far. you mention having enough space to shoot at 300 yards, and that sounds great, and i'd be curious about things like how many acres you have, who/what are your neighbors, liability, etc. share what you feel comfortable with, but shit man, any info would help...

DGKALIS

« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2021, 07:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@IusedToSkateMore...brother...i've gathered over the months/years in here, that where you live in CA is cheap and has some excellent benefits--easy access to land being one--but it definitely sounds like if you have the resources to do so, it's time to get the fuck out of dodge. that's part of being a responsible gun owner, right? situational awareness--knowing when to remove yourself from circumstances that have the potential to escalate. again, if you have the time and resources to do so, which can be a luxury people do not have. always hoping the best for you either way brother.

Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for sharing this @DGKALIS. as i mention a ways back in this thread, i'm in the Detroit area, have some resources to work with and i am currently looking for land to--amongst other things--shoot on, and i was wondering if you have any advice/suggestions? i'm checking Landwatch pretty regularly and all, but it is an intimidating thing to invest money in. right now, i'm doing searches for anything from 20 to 50 acres. there's lot of tracts in the UP, but that's too far. you mention having enough space to shoot at 300 yards, and that sounds great, and i'd be curious about things like how many acres you have, who/what are your neighbors, liability, etc. share what you feel comfortable with, but shit man, any info would help...

Yeah.. the UP is just too far. Not to mention if the bridge is closed for whatever reason.. its a no go. When i was looking for land, i got lucky stumbling across this piece of 80 acres inside the National forest less than an hr from my house. The property owners next to me are the same. Camping, shooting, hunting, ect. The other neighbor is literally thousands of National Forest. I built a off grid shipping container cabin, solar powered. Wood stove.. its super rad. The kids have a blast. I put a well on the property i run a small generator to power it. Its hard to not be there everyday. Tons of forest roads for SXS, dirt bikes, hiking, whatever.
I have been in the cities for so long its nice to escape and learn how to be apart of the land. Also nice to share with my kids. Its all my wifes fault. She's loves nature and camping. I was never into until recently.

Depending how far you want to travel for your spot.. and depending what your budget is.. there are some deals out there. I see good stuff in Kalkaska County, Newago County, Cadillac, White Cloud.... Basically anywhere attached to one of the forests. Just make sure it isnt land locked and there are snowmobile trails/ Forest Roads.. so as long as you have plates on the car or truck.. you are allowed to drive on them. .

way more options West and North of Lansing. There is some nice stuff North of you for sale... but its twice as expensive as the stuff on the west side of the state.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2021, 08:10:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah.. the UP is just too far. Not to mention if the bridge is closed for whatever reason.. its a no go. When i was looking for land, i got lucky stumbling across this piece of 80 acres inside the National forest less than an hr from my house. The property owners next to me are the same. Camping, shooting, hunting, ect. The other neighbor is literally thousands of National Forest. I built a off grid shipping container cabin, solar powered. Wood stove.. its super rad. The kids have a blast. I put a well on the property i run a small generator to power it. Its hard to not be there everyday. Tons of forest roads for SXS, dirt bikes, hiking, whatever.
I have been in the cities for so long its nice to escape and learn how to be apart of the land. Also nice to share with my kids. Its all my wifes fault. She's loves nature and camping. I was never into until recently.

Depending how far you want to travel for your spot.. and depending what your budget is.. there are some deals out there. I see good stuff in Kalkaska County, Newago County, Cadillac, White Cloud.... Basically anywhere attached to one of the forests. Just make sure it isnt land locked and there are snowmobile trails/ Forest Roads.. so as long as you have plates on the car or truck.. you are allowed to drive on them. .

way more options West and North of Lansing. There is some nice stuff North of you for sale... but its twice as expensive as the stuff on the west side of the state.

it sounds like you and yours have a smart, solid, and fun set up, and i'm much obliged for the info. i'm pretty new to this part of it as well, and also have been in the city--for good and ill--most of my life.

i'll keep my eye on those counties you mention....and yeah, north and west of Lansing does indeed seem to offer more reasonable opportunities, although it is farther from me. the way i look at it, the drive is part of the whole "getting away from shit" benefit, but i'm assuming will get old if i'm doing it every couple of weeks...

Fhk

« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »
And/or a Beretta M9
Can't go wrong with either one of those. I am lucky enough to own both and they are probably my most used. Have fun shopping man.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »
i just came across this "giveaway" from Atlantic Firearms, which is where i bought my Arsenal SAM7SF from, and figured i'd share it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5fnx6HBTE

here's the link to actually enter...it'd be funny if a pal actually won one of these Romanian kits

https://atlanticfirearms.com/giveaway

by the way, i dig that this thread is mostly about nerding out, and not too political, so i'm reluctant to share this, but still, here's an interesting article that echoes some of what's been said in this thread at points: "Democrats Should Ditch the Anti-Gun Rhetoric If They Want to Survive 2022"

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/11/16/democrats-gun-owners-522562

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2021, 11:11:54 AM »
I whole heartedly agree. It is a losing issue for metropolitan elites who don't think about security because they live in a city with police. It is extremely hypocritical and exposes the class divide between people who have a secure and sheltered existence bolstered by the fact that they don't even think about who has a monopoly on the means to create violence and the rest of us who are poor and may live in a more chaotic environment and would appreciate the security of knowing you can defend yourself should the need arise. It also allows bad actors to point out the obvious hypocrisy of sheltered professional middle class people only affecting a progressive pose while they live in high rise buildings or gates suburbs where the violence that police enact on poor people is just a thing they can wag their finger at while benefiting from that militarized police force's security. It makes people question why they deserve to be guarded by professionals with ARs, but none of us filthy serfs can even touch one

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2021, 11:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
And/or a Beretta M9
[close]
Can't go wrong with either one of those. I am lucky enough to own both and they are probably my most used. Have fun shopping man.

I had a Beretta but sold to my brother before I moved in 2008, but my wife is suddenly cool with guns being around again (she was definitely a "dun wun gunz around tha house wif a child") , so I told her that these are the 2. Big fan of both!

Fhk

« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2021, 12:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
And/or a Beretta M9
[close]
[close]

I had a Beretta but sold to my brother before I moved in 2008, but my wife is suddenly cool with guns being around again (she was definitely a "dun wun gunz around tha house wif a child") , so I told her that these are the 2. Big fan of both!
Well then get it while the gettings good! ;D You never know maybe now it could become something you all do together. Pretty good fun factor with both of those models, so target shooting could be a great time.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2021, 01:49:26 PM »
My company take a few customers to a shooting range to shoot AR-15's. EASILY the best thing that happens at my job.
AR-15's, then food, then the bar

Fhk

« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »
My company take a few customers to a shooting range to shoot AR-15's. EASILY the best thing that happens at my job.
Are they hiring?  :)

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »

this sounds splendid.

boomer, i'm glad to hear that you're thinking about investing--funny enough, i'm so orthodox about the AK platform, that i not only know little to nothing about the AR platform, but i actually just shot an AR for the first time in the past few months.

i don't know what you're considering spending, or how deeply you're planning on researching--buying a complete or putting it together piece by piece--but as i've been researching on my own to figure out where to start myself with the AR platform, the fine people at Forgotten Weapons and InRange did this whole "What Would Stoner Do 2020" project, that is basically thinking about what Eugene Stoner would design with today's technologies and materials--Stoner is the main mind behind the ArmaLite AR-15. Here is the intro to the series and project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI5NPiicXjE

but there are a whole series of following videos on all of the individual components, including the lower that they had built just for it--really fascinating stuff.

also, Brownell's is partnered with them on it, and they actually have complete WWSD2020s in stock right now:

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/ar-15-kp-15-what-would-stoner-do-2020-rifle-prod132663.aspx

fuckers are expensive, but after watching through some of the videos, and understanding the reasoning and logic behind the decisions, it's hard to doubt what they designed. by the way, if there is one Youtube channel to seriously nerd out on, i would say it is Forgotten Weapons...

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2021, 08:11:41 PM »
I’m going to pick up a sig p229 as soon as my travel reimbursement hits. I carry one at work. Really like it. Metal. Don’t know which one, but it’s not going to be the nitron since that’s the work piece and don’t want to get them mixed up.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2021, 06:40:54 AM »
for all the PALs considering a fine pistol option, look no further...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEA-YufBtEs

Fhk

« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2021, 07:07:12 AM »

About as reliable as the older hi-tek's but with a fun factor when it doesn't ftf.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2021, 07:14:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
About as reliable as the older hi-tek's but with a fun factor when it doesn't ftf.

you really do have to wonder what motherfuckers were thinking

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2021, 08:02:19 AM »
Still researching which AR will be my jam. Having just spent a bunch on my son for X-Mas, could be a little bit. But I imagine I will go mid to high end. My bosses son is heavily into guns and we are probably going to the range/ shop soon to research. Definitely going to use the Glock 19, fun little guy!

As for taking customers to the range, so many of them brought their own guns and were sharpshooters on those targets, it was pretty awesome. We haven't done it this year, but we did last year (surprisingly) and the year before. Best 2 days of working here easily.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #208 on: December 19, 2021, 09:17:31 AM »
seriously, you couldn't pay me to live in CA again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCukuh3_ZQ

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2021, 11:51:05 AM »
My wife used to work for the SO in Santa Clara, admin, but her unit was on Smith’s floor. She removed the microwave from the break room because she couldn’t be bothered to smell her employee’s food. That’s all I know about her.