Author Topic: anyone shoot guns?  (Read 10428 times)

Deputy Wendell

Re: anyone shoot guns?
« Reply #210 on: December 19, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
My wife used to work for the SO in Santa Clara, admin, but her unit was on Smith’s floor. She removed the microwave from the break room because she couldn’t be bothered to smell her employee’s food. That’s all I know about her.

that sounds about right

xasqwer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »
I enjoy shooting. Thank you, man, for creating this thread. It's been a while since I couldn't talk on this subject because of the pandemic. @Augustmoon said above that he wanted to start a thread like this but was afraid of flak and refrained; I don't get why. I think It's OK to share your point of view on every subject. I enjoy going in the woods and shooting targets with my Sig Sauer 1911 my father bought me on my last birthday. Moreover, I found here ballachy.com some engaging reviews about many guns, barrels, munitions and equipment. You could take a look if you're looking for some specific information.   
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:17:09 AM by xasqwer »

tacotime

« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:56 PM »
Excuse the length of this but I want to make sure it’s clear where I’m coming from. This thread has been more for sport and hunting but any info or opinions would be appreciated, so decided I’d post and see what I get back. Yet another bad situation has happened where someone I care about could have been hurt. I don’t want to detour this thread in a serious direction no one wants but hopefully it’s understandable.

I never thought I would be asking about guns for any reason. I didn’t want to think the area I moved to was truly dangerous but it’s become impossible to ignore. We will move in the future but can’t do so right now, and I’m done feeling like a victim waiting to happen. Even after I came to the conclusion that I needed to seriously consider one to help protect myself and my family, I didn’t want to do so until I was sure I was mentally ready; not acting from an emotional place but a logical one where I am able to do what I need to. I believe I am at that place.

I always wanted to think I could defend myself in the moment if necessary, but it has gotten to the point that’s not enough and I need to be confident.

I have never had to physically fight. I have defended other people when I happened upon a few bad situations over the course of my life, in hindsight I put myself in danger but it always ended up that shouting my head off and getting in the aggressor’s face was enough. I have a strong sense of values that I think overrode any fear I probably should have felt. I also recognize that being a woman may have helped in at least some of the situations because a lot of guys wouldn’t hit me for that reason.

Maybe that was enough in an average setting but not where I live now. People point (and often shoot) guns here like giving away candy. Often a gun held by someone competent is probably the only thing that will stop them if anything. I need to be mentally prepared to use it and able to use it effectively. I have started learning self defense and my hope is that both together will help me deal with whatever could come.

I’ve started researching but there’s so much info to sift through online that any direction will help me whether it is about kinds of handguns, learning to shoot guns, using them in defensive situations or any related topics. I would rather ask in a place like this than join some gun forum for reasons I probably don’t need to explain.

thanks

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2022, 12:24:09 PM »
I don’t know you or your situation, but think long and hard about the responsibility and liability that comes with it. It sounds like you’re scared, and that’s not the best headspace to be in.

tacotime

« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2022, 12:53:51 PM »
I don’t know you or your situation, but think long and hard about the responsibility and liability that comes with it. It sounds like you’re scared, and that’s not the best headspace to be in.

Your point is valid. The reason why I took the time to write out what I did is to exemplify that I’m not acting out of fear, but because I value my life and I respect the seriousness of the threat upon it and on those I love merely by living where we live. Without saying where that is, it is one of the cities with the highest crime in the U.S. and I’ve lived here for over a decade. It’s time for me to learn what I need to learn. Thanks.

Fhk

« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2022, 01:10:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Your point is valid. The reason why I took the time to write out what I did is to exemplify that I’m not acting out of fear, but because I value my life and I respect the seriousness of the threat upon it and on those I love merely by living where we live. Without saying where that is, it is one of the cities with the highest crime in the U.S. and I’ve lived here for over a decade. It’s time for me to learn what I need to learn. Thanks.
Please research..inquire, and attend a local gun safety course before handling any firearm. I hope your situation gets better soon.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2022, 01:19:57 PM »
I was going to wait until I moved into a green town to apply for my LTC here in MA, but since Maura Healey is running for governor and will probs be elected I'm gonna go ahead and apply for one where I'm renting. I'm not really opposed to the gun laws in place here but I know she will do anything she can to make the process more difficult.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2022, 01:58:49 PM »
^^^ all of this.

@tacotime, where do you live? I’m assuming the bay since the only taco time I’ve ever seen was in Santa Rosa. I have guns. I’ve had extensive training, with my former and current professions, and I practice a lot. My guns are locked away. I sleep with a machete by my bed and a can of OC in my nightstand.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2022, 03:00:24 PM »
I agree with what @IusedToSkateMore has put forth. Last line of defense. If you want some friendly instruction

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYqiOqBy2WM8rLUq5fvDWXih9cpGmd8zR

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2022, 08:03:03 AM »
i mentioned this newest rig in the "least stupidest thing you've bought" thread, because of the torque wrench i bought to mount the scope on this, but it's done--for now--and figured i'd share. had to save up a bit, because the most consistent wisdom i read while researching putting something like this together, is that one's scope should cost at least the same--if not more--than the rifle one is mounting it on. it's also crazy, considering what i spent, that this is really considered a moderately priced and humble entry point into HMR rifles and scopes:

Bergara B-14 HMR Bolt Action Rifle (chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor)
+
Vortex Viper PST GEN II FFP Rifle Scope (2-10x32mm) +
Vortex Optics Precision Matched Rings (30mm - .87 in) +
EGW Short Action Picatinny Rail 0 MOA =

i know some heads in here have experience shooting beyond 50 yards, but this is the farthest i've ever shot. i'm excited for the spring and taking this out to an outdoor range about an hour north of Detroit here, which has a 100-yard range as well. i have also finally located an incredible 10 acre lot of land about an hour and a half north of here, that i hope to go look at with the realtor after this snow storm we're dealing with passes. the topography seems pretty perfect--a big patch of it is hilly, so perfect for setting up a range (or two), and shit, down the line (maybe even before i build something to live/stay in) pour some concrete, and fuck, who knows, might have to host the first PALS "Skate and Shoot"...one can dream, right?

i know one thing, i stocked up a bit on 6.5 Creedmoor, and that is one expensive, hard-to-find round right now. i actually had to go on to Gunbroker to find any. this will definitely be the round that compels me to invest in the equipment to start doing my own reloads.

i hope heads are getting out to the range and/or plinking a bit...

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2022, 04:55:11 PM »
i mentioned this newest rig in the "least stupidest thing you've bought" thread, because of the torque wrench i bought to mount the scope on this, but it's done--for now--and figured i'd share. had to save up a bit, because the most consistent wisdom i read while researching putting something like this together, is that one's scope should cost at least the same--if not more--than the rifle one is mounting it on. it's also crazy, considering what i spent, that this is really considered a moderately priced and humble entry point into HMR rifles and scopes:

Bergara B-14 HMR Bolt Action Rifle (chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor)
+
Vortex Viper PST GEN II FFP Rifle Scope (2-10x32mm) +
Vortex Optics Precision Matched Rings (30mm - .87 in) +
EGW Short Action Picatinny Rail 0 MOA =

i know some heads in here have experience shooting beyond 50 yards, but this is the farthest i've ever shot. i'm excited for the spring and taking this out to an outdoor range about an hour north of Detroit here, which has a 100-yard range as well. i have also finally located an incredible 10 acre lot of land about an hour and a half north of here, that i hope to go look at with the realtor after this snow storm we're dealing with passes. the topography seems pretty perfect--a big patch of it is hilly, so perfect for setting up a range (or two), and shit, down the line (maybe even before i build something to live/stay in) pour some concrete, and fuck, who knows, might have to host the first PALS "Skate and Shoot"...one can dream, right?

i know one thing, i stocked up a bit on 6.5 Creedmoor, and that is one expensive, hard-to-find round right now. i actually had to go on to Gunbroker to find any. this will definitely be the round that compels me to invest in the equipment to start doing my own reloads.

i hope heads are getting out to the range and/or plinking a bit...

Count me in for the first skate and shoot

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2022, 11:50:49 AM »
i'm nerding out on long-distance shooting as of late, and came across this incredible video and channel...

...shooting one mile, with a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun, iron sights only

crazy how long it actually takes a round to travel that far...it's a trip to wait for the plink and/or dirt.

mind-blowing channel if you have the time to explore...

and cheers @DaleSr , you know you'll get the invite when that first Skate and Shoot goes down...

tacotime

« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2022, 10:24:48 AM »
Thank you to anyone who got back to me in this thread, especially the person who wrote me the long and thoughtful reply that doesn’t seem to be there anymore. I just saw the response I had written in return didn’t post somehow, I wasn’t around again until this week to realize that.

Not in the headspace right now to try to rewrite all of what I said but for sure agree it’s an absolute last resort. I wouldn’t even consider using a firearm outside of a training setting until I have gained extensive experience. I have since started firearms training along with the self-defense training (two different trainers, both are ex-military) and so far it’s going well. As I said I never thought I would do these things, but hope the latter will make it so the former isn’t needed if either ever is. I just know that what I don’t take the time to learn will never be an option.

thanks again

The_9

• Rep: 22
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2022, 03:41:02 AM »
As someone from the UK this thread is wild. I’ve never understood America’s obsession with guns.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2022, 04:54:55 AM »
As someone from the UK this thread is wild. I’ve never understood America’s obsession with guns.

who gives a fuck what you understand?

funny how they're handing them out to anyone who will wield them in Ukraine right now, eh?

The_9

« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2022, 05:11:33 AM »
And here I was hoping someone would give a balanced insight. However you come along and fit the stereotype the rest of the western world has of Murica.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2022, 05:36:19 AM »
And here I was hoping someone would give a balanced insight. However you come along and fit the stereotype the rest of the western world has of Murica.

i truly don't care whether you understand or not, what else do you want me to say? i feel no burden or responsibility to explain anything to you.

and do i fit "the stereotype"? is there just one? how lazy and slobbish of you and yours...you claim to have read through this thread...so much for reading comprehension--this thread consists almost wholly of gun owners, enthusiasts, and advocates who clearly destroy that lazy, vacuous stereotype you predictably gesture towards...

The_9

« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2022, 05:42:57 AM »
Not really, most of the other people would have been open to a discussion, after all it’s a world that’s pretty alien to people outside of the US. You just come across like Burt Gummer.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2022, 05:47:19 AM »
Not really, most of the other people would have been open to a discussion, after all it’s a world that’s pretty alien to people outside of the US. You just come across like Burt Gummer.

ok

Fhk

« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2022, 06:37:16 AM »
@The_9 I believe that @Deputy Wendell ‘s example of what’s happening in the Ukraine should check a few boxes for you. At the other end of the spectrum, there are plenty of people in America that should not have access to firearms. Much like how some people shouldn’t have access to the internet. I’m thinking you might fall into that category. Be honest with yourself champ you didn’t come here for a “balanced insight” did you.

The_9

« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2022, 06:43:25 AM »
You’ve got me all wrong. Im not opposed to gun ownership in the slightest. Or your right to own a gun. As an outsider I was just looking to find out about why it’s such a fundamental thing to many people in America? Is it just because you can do you do? Sporting? Hunting? Fear? Etc. I felt the thread was wild due to the talk of AK’s an AR’s and why anyone would feel the need to own one? Though it appears DW and yourself have got defensive rather to engage in conversation. “Who gives a fuck what you understand” is hardly a proportionate response to what I felt was an inoffensive question.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:57:07 AM by The_9 »

Fhk

« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2022, 07:02:28 AM »
You’ve got me all wrong. Im not opposed to gun ownership in the slightest. Or your right to own a gun. As an outsider I was just looking to find out about why it’s such a fundamental thing to many people in America? Is it just because you can do you do? Sporting? Hunting? Fear? Etc. I felt the thread was wild due to the talk of AK’s an AR’s and why anyone would feel the need to own one? Though it appears DW and yourself have got defensive rather to engage in conversation. “I don’t give a fuck what you understand” is hardly a proportionate response to what I felt was an inoffensive question.
Well let’s start over then, I will begin by apologizing for my tone in my last post. I personally own multiple firearms for different reasons. Some I use for sporting, and others for hunting. I also have some for self defense, or “fear” as you put it. This is certainly a touchy subject for a magnitude of reasons, so again my apologies for my crass reply.

The_9

« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2022, 07:09:45 AM »
Hey no worries. I totally see the sporting aspect, where I live has a few clubs and sporting outdoor ranges as well as a crazy long distance range, and I imagine the technical skill of hitting a target with various firearms would be rewarding. Hunting obviously something we are t allowed to do over here, though I am interested why some people choose a gun over say a bow? Is it a different experience or is one just inherently more difficult than the other. I also find the fear/protection aspect very interesting. To a certain extent the whole western world faces the same concerns re crime and risk. There is a lot of gun violence in the uk, however there is no major push for gun ownership to be opened up the same way as it is in the US. The same with fear of invasion etc?

Fhk

« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2022, 07:29:33 AM »
Hey no worries. I totally see the sporting aspect, where I live has a few clubs and sporting outdoor ranges as well as a crazy long distance range, and I imagine the technical skill of hitting a target with various firearms would be rewarding. Hunting obviously something we are t allowed to do over here, though I am interested why some people choose a gun over say a bow? Is it a different experience or is one just inherently more difficult than the other. I also find the fear/protection aspect very interesting. To a certain extent the whole western world faces the same concerns re crime and risk. There is a lot of gun violence in the uk, however there is no major push for gun ownership to be opened up the same way as it is in the US. The same with fear of invasion etc?
Yes, target shooting is extremely fun and quite difficult much like skating. Unfortunately with the uprise in ammunition costs, it’s hard for me to get out very often these days. My father would take me out skeet-shooting as a kid, and those memories still bring a smile to my face. His patience as he taught me everything from gun safety to the mechanical aspects of taking care of firearms properly is also something I will never forget. Before he passed, he gave me quite a few small caliber firearms to enjoy with my children. So there is that aspect as well. I have very limited seat time with a bow, but I can only imagine how fun the learning curve would continue to be. As far as bow hunting vs. using a riffle or shotgun, it might be similar to us grabbing a cruiser setup for bombing around town or using your normal setup for street or park skating.

Edit: I personally don’t feel comfortable discussing the gun violence aspect, as it will likely cause arguments in this otherwise harmonious thread.  :)

The_9

« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2022, 07:35:17 AM »
http://www.diggleranges.com/index.php/disciplines

This is near to where I live.

The father son aspect is something I’d never considered, a skill handed down. Again something we don’t get over here (firearms related)

No worries on the GV aspect. I did t come here to cause trouble. Thanks for taking to time to talk through some stuff that’s essentially alien to UK culture.

Fhk

« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2022, 07:39:49 AM »
http://www.diggleranges.com/index.php/disciplines

This is near to where I live.

The father son aspect is something I’d never considered, a skill handed down. Again something g we don’t get over here (firearms related)
That range looks great, if you ever choose to partake in target shooting I would think you will enjoy it. I have to go to work, but I hope you have a good day man..what a great discussion (once the smoke cleared)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2022, 09:01:25 PM »
I'm really getting ready to delete this thread if people keep getting testy or cuss out others.

Don't be a dick. Go do that shit on reddit or facebook or IRL. keep it off the SLAP gun thread.

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: February 26, 2022, 10:12:38 PM »
Yeah let's all play nice, let's be a good example of non reactionary behavior

The_9

« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2022, 08:15:00 AM »
I'm really getting ready to delete this thread if people keep getting testy or cuss out others.

Don't be a dick. Go do that shit on reddit or facebook or IRL. keep it off the SLAP gun thread.

Yeah DW reply seemed pretty off hand and caught me off guard for sure.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2022, 08:22:24 AM »
What do they teach about the American revolution in the UK?