Author Topic: anyone shoot guns?  (Read 10379 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
Re: anyone shoot guns?
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
Make sure to test fire your Maverick 88 (and everything else you own). My girlfriend had one the she never fired but kept for home defense. I took it out to the range and it fired 1 out of every three times.

There was a bad design in the trigger pack that made the hammer fall only half way under certain conditions. I fixed hers but I think Mossberg will send you a new trigger pack if you have the same issue.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2020, 09:27:15 PM »

changed some stuff out on my AKV.  quarantine boredom is gonna cost me a fortune.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2020, 10:40:52 PM »
That’s a mean shotgun Deputy Wendell
I fully missed what you were saying to me last page I just read your post properly now and had a bit of a google, yeah fuck my earlier comments were probably a bit foolish and uninformed. I’ve never lived in USA and don’t have any good friends from there
listen to cosmic psychos

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2020, 07:11:49 AM »
That’s a mean shotgun Deputy Wendell
I fully missed what you were saying to me last page I just read your post properly now and had a bit of a google, yeah fuck my earlier comments were probably a bit foolish and uninformed. I’ve never lived in USA and don’t have any good friends from there

cheers matty

i feel like i should be clear, despite the chaos and collapse that seems to be going down in this country, i still have a pretty unshakable faith in people...even people in the USA.

hope, pray, and work towards the best, but also be as prepared as possible for the worst, right? i'm just about 50 years old, and i'm yet to be convinced that there is a better approach to life in our time...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2020, 07:31:34 AM »
saw Galils come up a few times above, and figured i'd share a couple reviews from the old-timer Hickok45.

i fucking love this .308...what a beast of a rifle and a round:

and here's a follow-up he did on the ACE in 7.62 x 39:

i've always dug his reviews because 1) i love his "compound" and the "target-rich environment" he has at his disposal...what fun--pour some concrete to skate on, grow a bunch of my own food, and he has my dream home. if i'm working towards anything, it is to someday down the line have land with that kind of space and resources. and 2) he's clearly just a true gun nerd and historian, and manages to keep the politics and ideology out of the reviews. which is not to say that he is not political--dude has 5.3 million followers on Youtube, and does those "Shooting the Breeze" videos that are political at times (and i think he's stayed somewhat affiliated with the NRA unfortunately, but he never mentions them anymore), so i'm not underestimating his influence.

and not to get to political here myself, but of course Israel makes incredible guns and ordnance--their arms industry (IWI) is state run and owned, right? doesn't that kind of suggest that conflict is built into Israel's very existence?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2020, 06:06:18 PM »
Obviously, there are many different beliefs held that relate to guns and gun ownership.  One thing that this thread has made me aware of is that people who are into guns have various sentiments related to the NRA.

What are some of the grievances that you hold related to the NRA OR grievances that you have heard expressed related to the NRA?

I planned on joining as my grandfather was a lifetime member but I also appreciate hearing what other people's thoughts are.

Thanks!
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2020, 07:45:42 AM »
Obviously, there are many different beliefs held that relate to guns and gun ownership.  One thing that this thread has made me aware of is that people who are into guns have various sentiments related to the NRA.

What are some of the grievances that you hold related to the NRA OR grievances that you have heard expressed related to the NRA?

I planned on joining as my grandfather was a lifetime member but I also appreciate hearing what other people's thoughts are.

Thanks!

i've never been a member and never will in the foreseeable future. for me personally, there are a number of reasons, including the current and past leadership. but in a very general sense, i just can't belong to something that's going to have me lumped in with such a large body of stereotypical white conservatism, myopia, and ignorance--our common concern about gun rights does not come close to balancing out the irreconcilable differences in our social, cultural, and political views and lives.

for instance, i agree that everyone needs to be armed because of violent crime (in Detroit the chief of police encourages people to be armed and to defend themselves, which happens all of the time), but i absolutely disagree with the vast majority of NRA members about the cause of violent crime (poverty) and what to needs to be done about it (ameliorate poverty, which is on all of us to do).

so i agree that in the day-to-day reality of living in this country--especially in cities and inner-ring suburbs--people need to be armed to protect themselves and those they love and those who cannot protect themselves, BUT, i also insist that we all are responsible in some way for the conditions that lead people to commit violent crime...we all need to be consistent with our conversations about and efforts at countering the systemic poverty and necessity that keeps generating new criminals and criminalized youth in the first place.

my perception is that the average white NRA member childishly sees criminals as inherently "bad people" who get what they deserve when they are killed or put in jail, and that's it for them--criminals' backgrounds don't matter, and they deserve whatever they get, etc. what's actually really funny here is, see Joe Biden's speech for the "Crime Bill" in 1993 for the exact attitude i'm trying to describe here:

Pug, that really is just one kind of general reason i have. but, as i'm sure you know, it's also important to understand that the NRA does not have a simple or monolithic history and/or identity, even when it comes to race. i think Killer Mike has shared a lot of important knowledge in this regard, and here's one quick example:

the way i understand it, the NRA was supplying Robert F. Williams and his followers with ammo and resources when nobody else would, although i admittedly don't know that history as well as i should--here's a link for some info on. Williams if you're curious:

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/negroeswithguns/rob.html

probably didn't give you anything solid to go on Pug, and apologies for that, but this is all of the first things that came to mind and i need to get back to work...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:58:23 AM by Deputy Wendell »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2020, 09:07:54 AM »
I have a WWII German K98, and a M1 Garand. I don't shoot that often, and I'm pretty bad at it. Right handed, left eye dominate, which sucks. It's fun though.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

i've never been a member and never will in the foreseeable future. for me personally, there are a number of reasons, including the current and past leadership. but in a very general sense, i just can't belong to something that's going to have me lumped in with such a large body of stereotypical white conservatism, myopia, and ignorance--our common concern about gun rights does not come close to balancing out the irreconcilable differences in our social, cultural, and political views and lives.

for instance, i agree that everyone needs to be armed because of violent crime (in Detroit the chief of police encourages people to be armed and to defend themselves, which happens all of the time), but i absolutely disagree with the vast majority of NRA members about the cause of violent crime (poverty) and what to needs to be done about it (ameliorate poverty, which is on all of us to do).

so i agree that in the day-to-day reality of living in this country--especially in cities and inner-ring suburbs--people need to be armed to protect themselves and those they love and those who cannot protect themselves, BUT, i also insist that we all are responsible in some way for the conditions that lead people to commit violent crime...we all need to be consistent with our conversations about and efforts at countering the systemic poverty and necessity that keeps generating new criminals and criminalized youth in the first place.

my perception is that the average white NRA member childishly sees criminals as inherently "bad people" who get what they deserve when they are killed or put in jail, and that's it for them--criminals' backgrounds don't matter, and they deserve whatever they get, etc. what's actually really funny here is, see Joe Biden's speech for the "Crime Bill" in 1993 for the exact attitude i'm trying to describe here:

Pug, that really is just one kind of general reason i have. but, as i'm sure you know, it's also important to understand that the NRA does not have a simple or monolithic history and/or identity, even when it comes to race. i think Killer Mike has shared a lot of important knowledge in this regard, and here's one quick example:

the way i understand it, the NRA was supplying Robert F. Williams and his followers with ammo and resources when nobody else would, although i admittedly don't know that history as well as i should--here's a link for some info on. Williams if you're curious:

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/negroeswithguns/rob.html

probably didn't give you anything solid to go on Pug, and apologies for that, but this is all of the first things that came to mind and i need to get back to work...

Thanks for such a thorough response and for the links!
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
The ATF can suck my fucking dick.

They’re trying to now reclassify AR and AK pistols as AOW’s and subject them to NFA registration and taxation. To do this they are arbitrarily changing the legal definitions of “large handguns” to be determined by a variety of factors that include overall weight, are rifle sights utilized, does the weapon use a rifle caliber, just to name a few. In order to determine the legality of your firearm the ATF expects you to mail in your gun to them for classification (turn around time is a year+) then have the gun sent to an FFL where you would have to 4073 Again and tax stamp it and register it. This would also end the importation of ak pistols (no more Dracos :() and has no grandfather clause with a retroactive enforcement directive. Millions of us who legally procured our firearms will be felons overnight, it’s absolute bullshit.

In summation, fuck the ATF and their for-profit attack on the 2A.
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2020, 02:32:59 PM »
all of the posts i've seen about this have looked like poorly sourced propaganda.  the election is in a week.  people are getting desperate.  i'm not gonna worry too much about this.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »
Like he said above, could just be a rumor although that whole Sig Brace thing has brought a lot of heat to something that regulators didn’t seem to be worried about before.

Now every pistol AR/AK can more or less become a backdoor SBR.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2020, 04:06:56 PM »
It’s the ATF hedging their bets for a Biden win.

If Trump wins, they’ll just keep at it until they are told to stop since the way they make their money is enforcement/taxation

If Biden wins, they’ll get a pat on the back and more funding for doing such a good job under a hostile administration.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2020, 05:39:16 PM »
Prices are stupid. I spent $30 on a box of shitty Federal 9mm Mak FMJ just so I had an option to do something besides throwing my Mak if things got dicey.

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »
Yes. Just went to the range this week. Ammo was already fucking ridiculous price here in CA, but checked after I got home and it is fucking ludicrous right now! I’m good until this hysteria fucking dies down for a minute and prices come back down to somewhat normal. That’s if you can even find the shit right now. So lame.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »
So, how many people have you guys killed with those bad boys?

I’ve been thinking of picking myself up a gun, but I really don’t see myself killing more than 2 or 3 people a week.

Worth the investment? Or, should I stick with my ninja stars?
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2020, 01:33:23 PM »

I’ve been thinking of picking myself up a gun, but I really don’t see myself killing more than 2 or 3 people a week.

Lol sick troll bro I’m so triggered right now you really got me.

Why don’t you just go back to playing house with Daddy’s money instead of trying to stir shit up like a 12 year old.

Salsa Verde

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Yes. Just went to the range this week. Ammo was already fucking ridiculous price here in CA, but checked after I got home and it is fucking ludicrous right now! I’m good until this hysteria fucking dies down for a minute and prices come back down to somewhat normal. That’s if you can even find the shit right now. So lame.
[close]

ya, CA prices do suck. I found a local hardware store that stills sells ammo. It's the last one in the area that still sells ammo. People just don't know about it... they've got mad boxes of .223 signature Ted Nugent ammo that are hella dusty. Tons of .380 as well, but it's a bit more expensive than Sportsman's warehouse, where if you look, there's .20cpr 9mm from time to time...

That’s actually pretty dope you have a hardware store that stills sells some stuff. The .223 might be worth snatching up as that and .556 are getting hard to come by right now. .20cpr is super reasonable for 9mm right now.

Salsa Verde

« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2020, 08:43:45 PM »
I'm gonna buy a complete upper finally. Have had a lower for a couple years but never finished it. I'm going to be moving into pretty much wilderness in about 2 months. Up a dirt road and stuff. Mountain Lions, Bears, and rednecks in the area.

Sounds exactly like me. Bought a lower a little while back for a build when my boy was trying to get me to buy a complete off the rack for a good price and that thing just ended up sitting around forever as other projects and life happenings came up. I’ll get around to it, but now isn’t exactly the most ideal time. Whatevs. 

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2020, 11:01:37 PM »
For sure shoot guns.
I've got a pump action cock.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2020, 06:47:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why don’t you just go back to playing house with Daddy’s money instead of trying to stir shit up like a 12 year old.

You didn't answer my question.

Killings... How many?

Or is it just a micropenis, hillbilly, scared shirtless kinda' thing?

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You didn't answer my question.

Killings... How many?

Or is it just a micropenis, hillbilly, scared shirtless kinda' thing?

Is that what you do in your free time Mouth, think of me shirtless?

Or is it a micropenis, spoiled rich kid, Inferiority complex kinda thing?  You’ve got some real little man energy going.

It’s just sad man, move on.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:41:28 AM by ill_Murray »

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2020, 06:24:39 AM »
I've never shot a gun in my life even though I live in Florida lol. It hasn't been intentional, it's just that my parents have a lot of war trauma from being in Bosnia in the 80s/90s so guns were a touchy subject growing up.

I have a bunch of friends that shoot, but I've never made it out to a range with them. I think eventually I may want a pistol for home protection, but that's about it. Archery is what I really want to do as a recreational activity. A good shot with an arrow seems like it would be more satisfying than using a gun. What do I know though haha.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2020, 08:09:57 AM »
Just ordered another AR lower from Palmetto to build a pistol.  But currently holding onto my Mossberg 500, Springfield 1911, and the classic Ruger 10/22.

Being from Vermont in the mountains guns were never really thought of as out of the ordinary.  So many kids I went to high school with had gun racks in their trucks for deer season.  I think that people that hate guns for the image are entitled to their opinions, but they should also understand that their upbringing was vastly different from folks who were around firearms for one reason or another. 

Guns are also just wicked fun to blast pumpkins/beer cans/ whatever with.  Don't need a reason to have some fun.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2020, 10:36:22 AM »
PSA is either really good or really bad but the way they’ve treated CA customers over the years including recently doxxing everyone via email or refusing to ship parts even though it’s legal is bullshit

If you’re looking for a deal on a good lower just keep an eye on Aero’s site, their “blems” are usually like 70-80 bucks and more than once I haven’t even been able to find the blemish
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:18:19 PM by ill_Murray »

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
Never shot a gun in my life. Would love to, but I'm not careful enough to trust myself with a gun. Would probably end up accidentally shooting myself or a friend

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
I shot a couple different handguns and an AR yesterday at a range. It was alright, I was a better shot than I thought I'd be. I don't think I could get into it as a hobby though, kinda boring after I got over the initial thrill. It's kind of like darts or something.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2020, 05:22:03 PM »
I shot a couple different handguns and an AR yesterday at a range. It was alright, I was a better shot than I thought I'd be. I don't think I could get into it as a hobby though, kinda boring after I got over the initial thrill. It's kind of like darts or something.

That’s when you find some Public land to go shoot on and set up little courses for yourself, practice reloads, movements, etc as those things are infinitely harder under duress, there’s plenty of 2 gun competitions, hunting (not going to lie I kind of want to do that helicopter hog hunting), different types of shooting classes, the list goes on.

garthblader

• Rep: 4
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Just ordered another AR lower from Palmetto to build a pistol.  But currently holding onto my Mossberg 500, Springfield 1911, and the classic Ruger 10/22.

Being from Vermont in the mountains guns were never really thought of as out of the ordinary.  So many kids I went to high school with had gun racks in their trucks for deer season.  I think that people that hate guns for the image are entitled to their opinions, but they should also understand that their upbringing was vastly different from folks who were around firearms for one reason or another. 

Guns are also just wicked fun to blast pumpkins/beer cans/ whatever with.  Don't need a reason to have some fun.
[close]

what's your experience with PSA quality? I wanna snag an upper but am on the fence as far as QC

Last AR I built was pretty great with parts from them.  I am going to probably ball out and get an Aero Precision 10.5" upper, but the PSA with Magpul furniture has been great from what I have seen.  Honestly of the multiple AR's I have shot they are all pretty similar feeling except the dirt cheap one my buddy has.  The Magpul PSA one I had before felt very similar to my friends 2000$ one.  Just depends on what you want to do and how much flexing you want to do at the range.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »
when y'all are buying your lowers online, where do you get em shipped? Do you have a ppt FFL or something? The LGS is charging a hundo per transfer and that's just fuckd up!

If you’re buying online it has to go to an FFL.

PPT are only in person

You’re going to have to call around, there are a lot of predatory shops out there, 100 is way too greedy.