Author Topic: FA Vincent vs GIRL G052 concave advice  (Read 3832 times)

censoredialogue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
  • thrashing since ‘08
FA Vincent vs GIRL G052 concave advice
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:38:53 PM »
Sup y’all. I’m new to the Slap (lurked since a kid tho), and I was wondering if anyone else had copped the new Vincent pro model deck from FA. i got the 8.25 n i genuinely hate this board. i’ve never felt this feeling before.

for context i started by skating GIRL decks, skated a
couple Krooked decks, and skated one FA deck (all ~8”). i switched to an 8.25 with the FA Berle dipped deck n loved it. got this new Vincent 8.25 and i despise it.

i’ve never ridding a board so flat in my life, and it feels like it’s twice as heavy as any FA deck i’ve ridden. even heavier than any Krooked board i’ve had. it’s not horrible with Vans, but when i wear a thicker shoe it’s awful for me. has anyone else noticed the same shit or did i just get a bad press?

also does anybody know a good deck company with short wheelbases? my 8.0” Dill FA has a 14” wheelbase, and i LOVED it. now the only 8.25 boards i can find with 14” WB are GIRL decks. i’m worried about going back to GIRL cuz i remember the wood was shitty, and i’ve seen some ppl say the G052 shape is flat.
queen of skating for over a decade n still being trash

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: FA Vincent vs GIRL G052 concave advice
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:53:17 PM »
Sup y’all. I’m new to the Slap (lurked since a kid tho), and I was wondering if anyone else had copped the new Vincent pro model deck from FA. i got the 8.25 n i genuinely hate this board. i’ve never felt this feeling before.

couple Krooked decks, and skated one FA deck (all ~8”). i switched to an 8.25 with the FA Berle dipped deck n loved it. got this new Vincent 8.25 and i despise it.

i’ve never ridding a board so flat in my life, and it feels like it’s twice as heavy as any FA deck i’ve ridden. even heavier than any Krooked board i’ve had. it’s not horrible with Vans, but when i wear a thicker shoe it’s awful for me. has anyone else noticed the same shit or did i just get a bad press?

also does anybody know a good deck company with short wheelbases? my 8.0” Dill FA has a 14” wheelbase, and i LOVED it. now the only 8.25 boards i can find with 14” WB are GIRL decks. i’m worried about going back to GIRL cuz i remember the wood was shitty, and i’ve seen some ppl say the G052 shape is flat.
this question is out of my range, but i do have the same issues with the last few FA/hockey decks ive rode. they both felt much heavier than they should be for their respective sizes...if i didnt love the shape i would focus em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:56:18 PM »
My guess is buying boards in the Covid-Era is just gonna be all guesswork and a bit of a shit show for the time being.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 10:20:12 PM »

lotta good 8.125s out there with 14" wb or just a tad over

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 01:19:13 AM »
Primitive has nice 8.25” on 14” wb if you don’t mind the graphics.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 04:39:51 AM »
Use the deck by size search on skate park of Tampa. I just saw a few things that would hit that size range

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 05:08:16 AM »
This has happened to me a few times. I eventually found out that it was the length of the deck that was messing me up. Might want to check that out.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 05:30:26 AM »
Blood wizard, Maxallure, skate mental are all 14 wb @ 8.25.

If you want bbs wood business & company and doom sayers do a lot of 14" wb.

Tumyeto occasionally does them as well, last one that caught my eye was the Dakota Servold that came out around the time his Emerica part dropped but I'm sure there's been others.

SoCal, the warehouse sites, and spot will let you search by WB.

Not sure what happened with your FA because the last thing I'd call any of the ones I've had or looked at in person is flat. Did you get it from an actual shop? I've heard that there's counterfeit ones out there to take advantage of the hypebeast types that buy them to put on the wall.

This has happened to me a few times. I eventually found out that it was the length of the deck that was messing me up. Might want to check that out.

Length is something I've noticed a lot of people don't really pay attention to, but it (and it's relation to wheelbase) are just as important as width, wheelbase and concave in my opinion. Some tricks are significantly easier on a short deck.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 06:10:23 AM »
AWS does a decent amount of short wheelbases  on their decks. Usually not flat and BBS.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 08:18:09 AM »
I would like to echo what a few people like BFRD said, don’t over look length. I can have a board that’s a 14 inch wheelbase but 31.8 that I don’t jive with but a 14.25 wheelbase on a 31.75 will be just fine. It’s crazy. I normally skate a 14 but have been on a 14.25 for a week or two now and honestly it hasn’t hindered anything 

censoredialogue

• thrashing since ‘08
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 01:47:28 PM »

yeah, it’s the same exact stats as my Berle 8.25. pretty sure i just got the shit end of the press  :'(

censoredialogue

• thrashing since ‘08
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »
Blood wizard, Maxallure, skate mental are all 14 wb @ 8.25.

If you want bbs wood business & company and doom sayers do a lot of 14" wb.

Tumyeto occasionally does them as well, last one that caught my eye was the Dakota Servold that came out around the time his Emerica part dropped but I'm sure there's been others.

SoCal, the warehouse sites, and spot will let you search by WB.

Not sure what happened with your FA because the last thing I'd call any of the ones I've had or looked at in person is flat. Did you get it from an actual shop? I've heard that there's counterfeit ones out there to take advantage of the hypebeast types that buy them to put on the wall.

Expand Quote
[close]

Length is something I've noticed a lot of people don't really pay attention to, but it (and it's relation to wheelbase) are just as important as width, wheelbase and concave in my opinion. Some tricks are significantly easier on a short deck.

yeah. i got it from No Comply in Austin. the deck is def legit. just the bad end of the press they said. but it’s the same stats as my last FA board that i was in love with...

but yeah being 5’6” i try to find short decks with short wheelbases cuz that’s where i feel like i’m at my best

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 03:42:52 PM »
Sleep: that's where I'm a viking

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 04:11:10 PM »
I can agree that FA/Hockey decks can be oddly heavy. I currently have a Hockey deck and its way heavier than all my other boards.

sketchyrider

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »
i have nothing to add other than i just set up a g023 shape, one of those pop secret boards, and was pretty happy with it.

wheelbase is a little tight but was so easy to flip around.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 09:12:12 AM »
Most palace boards 8-8.25 have a 14wb. I skate FA/Hockey pretty consistently and there's something about their random veneer decks that doesn't feel the same as their full graphic decks. Could just be me though.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2020, 02:49:20 AM »
I can agree that FA/Hockey decks can be oddly heavy. I currently have a Hockey deck and its way heavier than all my other boards.

This. Sometimes it's their embossed decks + their slicks, but the latter goes without saying. Had an embossed slick from them, which was great but really had to get used to it.
Also, to the other poster: Their class picture ones really feel different. Had the painted Berle class picture after just skating embossed/graphics ones and was a bit weirded out at first.

gyros4heroes

• Rep: -20
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 06:11:32 AM »
Most palace boards 8-8.25 have a 14wb. I skate FA/Hockey pretty consistently and there's something about their random veneer decks that doesn't feel the same as their full graphic decks. Could just be me though.
palace chinese wood sucks tho

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 07:13:02 AM »
I’ve got an 8.5 fa embossed deck and I hate it as well. Skate it a couple times then took it apart and gave to a buddy. I’m used to the quasi 8.5 square shape and these 2 shapes are definitely similar but the fa/ hockey feels way steeper and heavier. Got 2 more that’ll probably just collect dust

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 09:19:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
palace chinese wood sucks tho

It doesn't though. It's actually really good. It just feels different.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
My favorite shape Crailtap makes is the G027. The tail is 1/8" longer to start but the kicks of the nose and tail are almost symmetrical. The G052 still has the same dimension nose but the tail is much shorter. I prefer the G027 because I have a couple switch flips in my arsenal (literally like 2 or 3) and this shape doesn't feel tapered/shorter when you skate it backwards like a lot of other boards. I weigh 175 lbs and I down break through the current wood other than some minor pressure cracks on the top of the board. Hope this helps if you're thinking of Crailtap boards. My only wish is they would balloon the G027 mold to like an 8.5/8.6 I wouldn't switch boards ever again.

gin

• Rep: 4
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
Use the deck by size search on skate park of Tampa. I just saw a few things that would hit that size range

Didn't know this existed, have pretty much the same requests as OP (8.25" w/ 14" WB). Thanks for the info!

ballintoohard

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
weird i have the Gino 8.25 embossed and love it. Feels better than the old PS wood (fairly sure it's BBS)

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »

I’ve been on a Hockey/FA 8.18 with a 14” WB all summer, on Venture 5.6 Hollows. Perfect setup imo. Just ordered one of the new Hockey boards in 8.25, now you’ve got me trippin haha

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 06:24:28 PM »
I've only skated 3 FA/Hockey decks, but my most recent was an embossed Sage 8.5 and it feels like a brick.  The other two feel pretty great.

Agree with the person about the Quasi 8.5x32.25 shape.  It's so good and I need to get back on that program.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2020, 11:10:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Didn't know this existed, have pretty much the same requests as OP (8.25" w/ 14" WB). Thanks for the info!

Tactics lets you filter by WB and deck length as well.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 12:54:39 AM »
My favorite shape Crailtap makes is the G027. The tail is 1/8" longer to start but the kicks of the nose and tail are almost symmetrical. The G052 still has the same dimension nose but the tail is much shorter. I prefer the G027 because I have a couple switch flips in my arsenal (literally like 2 or 3) and this shape doesn't feel tapered/shorter when you skate it backwards like a lot of other boards. I weigh 175 lbs and I down break through the current wood other than some minor pressure cracks on the top of the board. Hope this helps if you're thinking of Crailtap boards. My only wish is they would balloon the G027 mold to like an 8.5/8.6 I wouldn't switch boards ever again.

I skate the G027 as well, fantastic shape for me... interesting to hear you mention taper though, the G027 tapers back to 8.125 at the back bolts... you can't really feel it but it's certainly there.

I recently bought an 8.25CT shape weekend board, mellow concave and 14" WB, that runs at 8.25 along it's entire length... interested to see if it "feels" wider than the G027 because of this.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 01:13:05 AM »
Never rode a FA but I setup a G052 for a homie who was getting back to skating. Fat nose with a medium-mellow concave. Paired well with Thunder 148 Team Hollow Lights for an incredibly easy pop with the weight of the trucks to balance it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This. Sometimes it's their embossed decks + their slicks, but the latter goes without saying. Had an embossed slick from them, which was great but really had to get used to it.
Also, to the other poster: Their class picture ones really feel different. Had the painted Berle class picture after just skating embossed/graphics ones and was a bit weirded out at first.

Posted about this before and people have agreed that their class photo decks feel different from their other graphics. They tend to feel "flat" faster imo.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2020, 05:27:02 PM »
Im actually curious which 8.0 shape is better, the G018 or the G045. I have a feeling id prefer the G045 seeing it appears to be a little lower tail.